post #2941 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInPT View Post

But doubling the 24 to 48 might be the sweet spot for most users.

Do you think the remote should have that and cost the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
you could have 24 different favorites for each activity for as many activities as the ONE allows.

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
post #2943 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First i want to thank yall for ur repondes both badgerpilot and weaselboy. to anwser both of ur output, i use the learn function nyo remote to H1 remote. Is that the problem? And for Weaselboy I use the Sony PS3 device listed in the Harmony database and i can see the x, o on the screen but the thing is that i can't remember if i added the PS3 in the data base before or after i got the Nyko IR. Thanks.
post #2944 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Absolutely. Memory is DIRT cheap these days and storing an extra 24 or even 128 tiny graphical images is just a few KB of memory. I'm sure there's a huge profit margin on the H1. 64 or 128K of extra memory is probably just pennies.
post #2945 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Thats one thing I liked about the Philips Prestigo SRU 8015 remote. It holds 100 favorites with icons that you can scoll through them. The only problem is there is a internal database of 400 favorite icons to choose from but you can not update it via the downloads.

post #2946 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickview View Post

First i want to thank yall for ur repondes both badgerpilot and weaselboy. to anwser both of ur output, i use the learn function nyo remote to H1 remote. Is that the problem? And for Weaselboy I use the Sony PS3 device listed in the Harmony database and i can see the x, o on the screen but the thing is that i can't remember if i added the PS3 in the data base before or after i got the Nyko IR. Thanks.

That is your problem. Don't use the learn function for the Nyko. It is already in the data base. Get rid of the PS3 as a device and add a new device which is the Nyko Blu wave. This should solve your problems. If you have trouble, call the logitech tech support number and they can walk you through it.
post #2947 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I for one would certainly like more Favorites than the current 24, and I have only basic cable (with some included HD/digital channels I can get with my Panny plasma). No cable box at all, no cable DVR unit at all; that's the way I like it - I only need basic channels, watch Blu-ray if I want movies, and I hate cable boxes/remotes - I have 8 remotes replaced already with my H1.

I filled all 24 Favorites easily with just a 60-channel lineup, with no room for some local cable-access, weather, business and kids channels.

So when the nieces come over, there's no Disney, Animal Planet, Nickelodeon etc in my Favorites and I have to go hunt down the channel guide to find them.

With modern interest-specific programming and the number of channels available via cable/satellite, I could see somebody wanting 24 sports channels alone in Favorites (thank God I desire exactly zero sports channels). But doubling the 24 to 48 might be the sweet spot for most users.

What I'm wondering is if the H1 even has the hardware/memory to support more Favorites?

Add different activities, such as "Watch Movies", "Watch News". "Watch Sports", "Kid's Shows". etc, what ever you like. Each activity can have 24 favorites and then everything is also organized.
post #2948 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

Add different activities, such as "Watch Movies", "Watch News". "Watch Sports", "Kid's Shows". etc, what ever you like. Each activity can have 24 favorites and then everything is also organized.

That's a very good idea for an interim workaround until Logitech updates the firmware for more Favorites per Activity, assuming it's possible.

I'm shocked AND odd.
post #2949 of 11343 Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Certainly; why not? If the hardware supports it and a firmware fix would implement it, then of course.

I hope Logitech wasn't so stingy on dirt-cheap memory that it's all used up already in the first hardware release. In the quantity needed for Favorites storage, memory costs nothing.

I'm shocked AND odd.
post #2950 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well, I for one would certainly like more Favorites than the current 24, and I have only basic cable (with some included HD/digital channels I can get with my Panny plasma). No cable box at all, no cable DVR unit at all; that's the way I like it - I only need basic channels, watch Blu-ray if I want movies, and I hate cable boxes/remotes - I have 8 remotes replaced already with my H1.

I filled all 24 Favorites easily with just a 60-channel lineup, with no room for some local cable-access, weather, business and kids channels.

So when the nieces come over, there's no Disney, Animal Planet, Nickelodeon etc in my Favorites and I have to go hunt down the channel guide to find them.

With modern interest-specific programming and the number of channels available via cable/satellite, I could see somebody wanting 24 sports channels alone in Favorites (thank God I desire exactly zero sports channels). But doubling the 24 to 48 might be the sweet spot for most users.

What I'm wondering is if the H1 even has the hardware/memory to support more Favorites?

If this is such a huge requirement for you, I think you purchased the wrong remote to fit your needs.

I had to struggle to come up with 6 favorites to fill one page - I still have to know what's on the channel before I switch to it, so I always use the guide.

2c
jp
post #2951 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickview View Post

I tried using the Logitech PS3 database as my "device" along with the Nyko USB dongle. It didnt work at all. Logitech does have a relatively complete database entry for the Nyko Blu-Wave IR. I loaded that and it works flawlessly.

In neither case did the device "buttons" appear with actual circle, triangle, etc picture icons under the device. Not sure what may have showed up when activities was selected with the PS3 data because I never did add that to my "Watch a DVD" activity because the device buttons didnt work. The Nyko "buttons" are simple text when the Nyko is the device control for the PS3 in the "Watch a DVD" activity.
post #2952 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJPDC View Post

I had to struggle to come up with 6 favorites to fill one page - I still have to know what's on the channel before I switch to it, so I always use the guide.

2c
jp

Personally, I agree with you. I do have favorites set up on my one but to be honest, I rarely use them as I normally DVR almost everything and watch almost nothing live (other than sports). When I do watch live shows of any kind, I don't surf around looking for the shows I want to watch because want to know what's on a particular channel in the first place before I go there. The channel guide gives me all of that (and much more) while favorites do not.

Of course, all of this is based on my opinion and how I watch TV. Obviously, not everyone watches like I do and therefore YMMV.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #2953 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

Personally, I agree with you. I do have favorites set up on my one but to be honest, I rarely use them as I normally DVR almost everything and watch almost nothing live (other than sports). When I do watch live shows of any kind, I don't surf around looking for the shows I want to watch because want to know what's on a particular channel in the first place before I go there. The channel guide gives me all of that (and much more) while favorites do not.

Of course, all of this is based on my opinion and how I watch TV. Obviously, not everyone watches like I do and therefore YMMV.

I set my favorites to help me navigate thru the guide. With the guide up, each favorite goes to a cluster of channels. Example; The only local station I have in my favorites is the lowest numbered one. That way, when the guide is up, I select that one and then all the locals are on one page.

Using favorites like this, 12 turned out to be just about right. I could've used a couple more, but it's no biggie.
post #2954 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

I set my favorites to help me navigate thru the guide. With the guide up, each favorite goes to a cluster of channels. Example; The only local station I have in my favorites is the lowest numbered one. That way, when the guide is up, I select that one and then all the locals are on one page.

Using favorites like this, 12 turned out to be just about right. I could've used a couple more, but it's no biggie.

Thanks for that idea. Pretty good!

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #2955 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

That's a very good idea for an interim workaround until Logitech updates the firmware for more Favorites per Activity, assuming it's possible.

I doubt that's going to happen. There are more pressing needs that still haven't, may never, be addressed. 24 is the highest number they've ever allocated. The 880 has 16 (8x2) as a reference.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #2956 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I doubt that's going to happen. There are more pressing needs that still haven't, may never, be addressed. 24 is the highest number they've ever allocated. The 880 has 16 (8x2) as a reference.

Hey Joe,

I'm thinking about buying a One and your reply peeked my curiosity. Can you give some examples of "more pressing needs"?

Thanks...
post #2957 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Hey Joe,

I'm thinking about buying a One and your reply peeked my curiosity. Can you give some examples of "more pressing needs"?

Thanks...

There's more than I can remember over at Logitech Forums. One that affects me is how many digits in the channel listings.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #2958 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Can the H1 learn IR?
I have some obsure devices that I have my doubts about it controlling, at least I could not find them in the online device checker.

JVC RS2 (vertical stretch)
Panamorph sled
Insteon IRLinc

- Nevermind - looks like it can... -
post #2959 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

There's more than I can remember over at Logitech Forums. One that affects me is how many digits in the channel listings.

Thanks Joe. I went over there and browsed around. Just ordered my One and should have it early next week.
post #2960 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Dell has the H1 back on sale for $149 plus tax, free shipping.
post #2961 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Liked: 11
Question: To control a PS3 with this remote do you have to have the Nyko USB dongle thing? I currently just use the Sony PS3 remote and would like the H1 to replace that remote.

Thanks,
post #2962 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Sony Exec 1: I know, Jenkins! We'll make the PS3 controllable via Bluetooth! This will make everyone buy our wacky remote! Profits will soar!

Jenkins: Excellent idea sir.

Sony Exec 1: No one will use this thing as a BluRay player anyway. HDDVD is cheaper to manufacture and the quality is just as good, we are bound to lose the format war just like we did with Betamax! Plus I hate universal IR remotes!

Jenkins: How true.

Sony Exec 1:Pass my crack pipe!

Jenkins: Very good sir.

Rant over. Sorry about that.
post #2963 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM

lmao @ 'Jenkins'
post #2964 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post

Question: To control a PS3 with this remote do you have to have the Nyko USB dongle thing? I currently just use the Sony PS3 remote and would like the H1 to replace that remote.

Thanks,

If you have a PS3 you should have read this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058533

In it you will find:

Can I use my Harmony (or other learning universal) remote with the PS3?

Only if you use a IR adapter. The least expensive solution is the Nyko BD remote (sold by amazon.com and others) that includes a simple IR remote and a IR receiver that simply plugs into one of the USB ports on the front of the PS3 console. This solution is limited in that it cannot be used to turn the PS3 power on, but it provides basic disc playback functions (note the Nyko remote can be used to turn off your PS3 by stopping disc playback, then navigating on the XMB to "Users" then selecting "Turn Off System"). The Nyko PS3 remote is now listed in the Harmony data base so you can easily use only the IR-to-USB adapter that is included with the Nyko remote and program your Harmony remote to control BD/DVD playback on you PS3

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113
post #2965 of 11343 Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post

You've already been pointed to a very useful thread in the message just above, but I thought I'd offer my perspective.

I first bought the Nyko dongle and it works fairly well; I think the best thing about it is that it's inexpensive. You won't need the remote that comes with it, just the dongle.

However, you still have no power-on/off capability, so you'll need to use your game controller or the XMB for that. Inconvenient, but it works.

The big problem for me with the Nyko is that it lags. It lags terribly; some commands would take a second or two to execute after pressing the H1's buttons, and it's very easy to overshoot when pressing FF/RW, Chapter Skip etc. I got pretty frustrated pretty quickly.

My solution was to replace the Nyko with the IR2BT, and I love this little unit. It works very, very well with zero lag. And if you use the PS3 device in your H1's setup, then have Logitech copy the IR2BT power-off macro from the IR2BT device over to the PS3 device, your H1 can handle power on and power off of the PS3 (the reason to use the PS3 device instead of the IR2BT device in setup is to get the 4 beautiful Circle/Square/Triangle/X button icons on the touchscreen).

I can highly recommend the IR2BT, but they can be a bit hard to get - it's a small company and they had to do a recall to patch older units after Sony changed the PS3 firmware this summer (new and patched units shouldn't need further recalls for new firmware anymore, according to the developer), so they're busy trying to keep up.

If interested, go to www.ir2bt.com and get on their email list for notification of the next batch available for sale. Stay on top of your email; the last batch sold out in hours after the notice went out. That site also hosts a user forum for more information; very helpful to resolve all the tricky PS3 integration details.

My $0.02 on the subject for what it's worth. The IR2BT really works well and it really does everything; I have replaced eight remotes with the H1 (including the Sony Bluetooth remote) and only need to use my PS3 game controller to play games.

I'm shocked AND odd.
post #2966 of 11343 Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The big problem for me with the Nyko is that it lags. It lags terribly; some commands would take a second or two to execute after pressing the H1's buttons, and it's very easy to overshoot when pressing FF/RW, Chapter Skip etc. I got pretty frustrated pretty quickly.

I haven't had that problem. It has worked great for me so far. No lag whatsoever.
post #2967 of 11343 Old 10-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:

However, you still have no power-on/off capability, so you'll need to use your game controller or the XMB for that. Inconvenient, but it works.

My solution was to replace the Nyko with the IR2BT, and I love this little unit. It works very, very well with zero lag. And if you use the PS3 device in your H1's setup, then have Logitech copy the IR2BT power-off macro from the IR2BT device over to the PS3 device, your H1 can handle power on and power off of the PS3 (the reason to use the PS3 device instead of the IR2BT device in setup is to get the 4 beautiful Circle/Square/Triangle/X button icons on the touchscreen).

Harmony support cans set us up with a "power off" macro if using the Nyko. Its not ideal (left,left,left, eft, up, up ,X,X ) but it works so long as the PS3 is at the XMB and somewhere at or left the video menu.

I dont find mine slow. Perhaps the inter-button delay was set high.

I find the Nyko adequate and a bargain. It was also available. I am on the IR2BT mailing list and plan to buy one whenever they come available (and I am around to get an order one before they run out again). In the meantime the Nyko does enough so we can pretty much sit on our butts and let the Harmony take care of everything seamlessly.
post #2968 of 11343 Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well I am a new owner, I bought one from Best Buy on Friday night. I went back to the store that I looked at them last weekend. Now the Harmony One was $249.00, it must have been on sale last week. I used a 12% off coupon to soften the blow a little.

So far I am very happy with it, spent most of last night programming it and adding favorite icons to it.

I downloaded some Icons to use with my XM radio, but I can't seem to find a a favorites pages with that activity to load the icons to.
post #2969 of 11343 Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Well I am a new owner, I bought one from Best Buy on Friday night. I went back to the store that I looked at them last weekend. Now the Harmony One was $249.00, it must have been on sale last week. I used a 12% off coupon to soften the blow a little.

Sorry to say this, but you got ripped off.
The price is supposed to be $199. We were talking on this forum last week about how different BBs have different prices marked on the Harmony One.
Go to a different BB and get it price matched! Or get it price matched +10% against Circuit Cuty's $199!

to each his own...
post #2970 of 11343 Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 AM

Got mine for $186 on Ebay - free and fast shipping.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page