Problems with Harmony 890 RF - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcicc77 View Post

Has anyone had any luck sorting out this issue of limited range? I too have the same problem and I am currently at a loss of whats up. Any posts to possible solutions?

RF interference, Broken RF transmitter in the remote, SW, FW, ??

Okay. So I answered my own question. After racking my brain on this for days, buying a new RF extender, loading software, playing with the configurations, searching for interference (baby monitor off)and anything else I could think of trying...I figured it out. My neighbor has a new baby at home too. My monitor, no problems...Their monitor = major interference. I guess I should buy them a new monitor like mine. Hopefully this will help someone who stumbles onto this post like I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM

I wanted to echo the previous poster. Had some problems with the 890 Pro after 4+ years of no issues.

For me it turned out to be the baby monitor. We recently had a power outage, and in the process of turning it back on, we accidentally shifted the channel on the monitor from it's default. Wreaked havoc with the Harmony RF.

Reset the monitor .. everything back to normal. RF interference is the culprit for me in my problem, which I would describe exactly the same as the OP.

Mythtv (mythbuntu) household with a centralized server and whole house access since 2007.

post #33 of 44 Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm having trouble getting my Xbox 360 to turn on with the remote. Any tricks to it?
post #34 of 44 Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I had issues as well with the 360 power so I just programmed an extra ON at then end of the Play Xbox activity. Since it is a discrete ON command sending it again if it was already on doesn't do anything, such as turn it off.

post #35 of 44 Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I had issues as well with the 360 power so I just programmed an extra ON at then end of the Play Xbox activity. Since it is a discrete ON command sending it again if it was already on doesn't do anything, such as turn it off.

Thanks for the reply. So you essentially have two on commands for this activity? One at the top of the list and one at the bottom? I tried using the xbox remote (not controller) to make it learn the command too but no luck. How did you add the extra command?
post #36 of 44 Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Thanks for the reply. So you essentially have two on commands for this activity? One at the top of the list and one at the bottom? I tried using the xbox remote (not controller) to make it learn the command too but no luck. How did you add the extra command?

There is an option in the activities to add additional commands. Also, learning the XBox remote's command isn't a good idea since that is a Power Toggle and not a Power On. The online database has the Power On and Power Off discrete commands. Also, you can use a Media Center Remote device profile instead of the XBox. I'd make sure that the two power commands are on the softkeys of the device page and then manually select them there and make sure it is working. You may have a problem where the IR emitter is attached to the 360 and that would help you locate the sweet spot.

post #37 of 44 Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

There is an option in the activities to add additional commands. Also, learning the XBox remote's command isn't a good idea since that is a Power Toggle and not a Power On. The online database has the Power On and Power Off discrete commands. Also, you can use a Media Center Remote device profile instead of the XBox. I'd make sure that the two power commands are on the softkeys of the device page and then manually select them there and make sure it is working. You may have a problem where the IR emitter is attached to the 360 and that would help you locate the sweet spot.

Thanks a lot for answers. I ended up adding another command but then called the support line. I guess they had to reset the command to make it able to use RF. Once I hooked up the emitter to the Xbox it was cool
post #38 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 PM

Bingo. This was exactly it.

Been using the 890 and extender since mid 2007 with no problems, in fact it works better than expected. Until about a week ago when it stopped working.

We have a 2 channel Video/Audio baby monitor, which has been installed for 2 years. My wife changed it from channel1 to channel2 about a week ago, which I wasn't aware of to try and clear up a bit of image snow. Within 12 inches the remote to RF extender would work. Unplugged the baby monitor, and back to normal. Moved back to channel1, still a-ok.

Silly baby monitor.
post #39 of 44 Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM

I don't believe that the problem is associated only with harmony remotes. I believe that all the remotes which uses rf waves can be disturbed by the interferences. I had the same problem as you with my remote. So I look through the house and disconnected all equipment that may disturb my logitech 890. I finally discovered that it was the baby monitor. I definitely corrected the problem by changing the channel on the monitor. Since it works great !!
post #40 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Has anyone on here with a 890 gone to the new smart hub which lets you do RF from your Iphone or Android?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #41 of 44 Old 12-11-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Has anyone on here with a 890 gone to the new smart hub which lets you do RF from your Iphone or Android?
It does IP/WiFi from your device, not RF.

post #42 of 44 Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 AM

Ok, well it does basically same idea, no line of sight required. Anyone?
post #43 of 44 Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Ok, well it does basically same idea, no line of sight required. Anyone?
What is your question? They work with no line of sight as well.

post #44 of 44 Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 PM

I have a Harmony 890 that I've had for over 7 years which has RF. I've dropped it so many times that probably 7-8 buttons no longer work. I've been looking at this new smart hub.

I called into Harmony and told them I didn't want a remote and just wanted to use my Iphone 5 to control everything. They said all I'd need is the $99 hub and the smart phone app. Is this true?

1) They said as long as I can get a blaster to the tv remote window, I can control the tv and the cable box, etc, that is hidden in the cabinet. Is this true?

2) I have about 10 activities in my harmony 890. Can I still do as many?

3) Isn't anyone solely using an ipod or iphone to control everything, instead of having an actual remote?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 890 Advanced Universal Remote Control