post #91 of 182 Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert in Ill. View Post

Hello all - I too was "lucky" enough to have gotten one of these through Tweeter right before they imploded. Ever since I've had it, the battery life has topped out at about 20 minutes before the yellow box comes up warning me to recharge the remote. I put it on the cradle every night, but then, when I go to use the system first thing in the morning, I get about 10 minutes of use before the battery goes yellow, about 20 before it is dead. I'm only using it to watch cable tv and rarely do anything for the 20 minutes other than adjust volume or change channels a few times. I contacted Universal about 2 months ago on their website, called them about 6 weeks ago, but never heard back from them, and doubt that I will. Has anyone gotten a replacement battery from them or do I need to go to the third party batteries mentioned above?

Thanks

When I got mine, brand new a few months ago, it was similar to your situation. My remote's battery might have even been worse than yours. I bought it from a local audio video boutique. They also did the programming and other installs for me. I had no problem with them swapping out the battery for me. They are a Universal dealer. You might have to search for a dealer in your area.

After the battery replacement it now lasts a very long time. Long enough where as I don’t even bother to check the status. Most nights I remember to put it back in the cradle but it’s really not a concern.

You definitely need to swap out the battery. I never dealt with the company direct but I’d pursue calling them or working with a local dealer. Maybe others here dealt with them and can offer more advice.
Good luck.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 182 Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have been eyeballing this remote for a little while now.
The battery life issue is not what scares me... it is the seemingly lack of support/updates your are given once you buy it.
My dealer in Toledo Ohio told me that if I bought the remote, they would basically not allow me to have future software updates to the remote. So basically when I buy the remote, that is the update I am stuck with.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #93 of 182 Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the software for the mx980 is updateable within the software, so if you get the software you are set
post #94 of 182 Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

I My dealer in Toledo Ohio told me that if I bought the remote, they would basically not allow me to have future software updates to the remote.

Find a new dealer.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #95 of 182 Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

Find a new dealer.

I have...
But now that I have decided what remote is most intriguing me, I need to find out if I am actually capable of programming it!
Does anyone know if I can get access to the software to see how involved it is?

Thanks

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #96 of 182 Old 09-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn View Post

What do you really expect to get out of it? I love the msc-400 and use them with mx-900 and tx-1000 remotes. I think the bang for the buck far outways having a remote with viables in it. The only thing that I miss is changing lables on button from with-in the remote's program. Of course there are inellegant work arounds to this. My view all started becuase the cost of a tx-1000 and a msc-400 is so close to that of a mx-3000 and it is so much more usable. Also the logic programing on the msc-400 is MUCH better than that in the remote. Infact I would say in the last 1.5 years, every job I have done has had an msc-400, and only one had a remote with variables (mx-950 and mx-3000)

I programmed several macros with my msc-400 and made the remotes just simple event triggers. Programming the msc-400 and using the features such as rs-232, relay, input sensors is pretty simple. I wish the software supported more than just boolean variables, for example it would be great to read data from rs-232.
post #97 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Hello all. New Guy here looking to get the best remote possible for what I am doing. I am new to the RF remotes but not new to Home Theaters. I just finished my living room/theater this week and I mounted all the components in the closet so I am in need of a killer remote. I have the Sony ES6400, HD CableBox and PS3 Bluray player.

Is this remote overkill for my simple needs? I also have Lutron lighting and love the fact i can control this from my MX 980?

So what will I need? The Base station obviously and the remote but I heard that I will need something else for the BT controlled PS3? Any help would be greatly appriciated. I can get base and remote for a slamming deal thats why I want to know if this is the best set up for me? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Holy back from the dead thread Batman!! LMAO!
post #98 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEBADMK8 View Post

Is this remote overkill for my simple needs?

This remote is certainly going to be able support your needs. One thing I would ask is are you planning to have it professionally programmed? If not, I would warn you that it is non-trivial to program this remote. It can definitely be done by a hobbyist but you should know what you are getting in to.

Quote:

So what will I need? The Base station obviously and the remote but I heard that I will need something else for the BT controlled PS3?

To control your PS3 you will need some type of IR receiver for it. You can get a cheap IR to USB adapter but that will not allow you to turn it on and off.

I would recommend an IR to Bluetooth adapter like the Schmartz PS3IR or the Audio Authority BlueBeam. These will cost you a little more but provide much better control.
post #99 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 AM

I biggest problem I have with the programming (other than having to tinker with it a weekend to get a feel for the software) is the lack of an undo feature. So save a LOT.

The remote is definitely worth the money and time investment to get it set up right, and it's fun to build your program over the life of your system, I'm always adding little features and macros to make life simpler, and I spent a lot of time playing around with paint shop making custom Xbox button graphics, Kuro backgrounds, etc. so that the "special" buttons various remotes feature actually show up that way on the soft screen.

Finally got it to the point where I can literally do anything I need in the entire theater with the one remote, there are no functions missing.
post #100 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM

First of all thanks for the detailed responses. Second how do you program this remote anyway? I am computer savvy and I think I can do it with a little help. There isn't any preset codes to "punch in"?

I can get the unit & base for $425.00.
post #101 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:

First of all thanks for the detailed responses. Second how do you program this remote anyway? I am computer savvy and I think I can do it with a little help. There isn't any preset codes to "punch in"?

All the programming is done in the software. The software can only be obtained through a dealer so make sure whoever you are buying the remote from will provide you the software.

You can look up your equipment in the database and add all your devices. That part is fairly straight forward. The trickier part is designing the LCD screens and setting up any advanced programming. It really depends how complicated you want to make it. Just setting it up to replace your OEM remotes is not that difficult.
post #102 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 PM

ok COOL THANKS AGAIN gUYS. i THINK i AM GOING TO GET IT BUT i HAVE TO ASK THE gUY FOR THE SOFTWARE HUH?
post #103 of 182 Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

That's the catch...
He may not include the software for that amount as he may want to do the programming for you.

It's up to the dealer, they don't have to give it to you.
Who are you buying from?
post #104 of 182 Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I bought my MX-980 and an MSC-400 from ebay. URC provided me with the SW once I faxed them proof of purchase and the serial of the devices.

/Anders
post #105 of 182 Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

yeah but was that MX-980 editor or CCP?
post #106 of 182 Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

MX-980 editor...
post #107 of 182 Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

I'm hoping to get mine from a dealer that will include CCP.
Not that editor's bad...
post #108 of 182 Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

If only programming the 980 the editor is fine.

With an MSC400/MX980 combo, the editors are a major PITA. I'm glad I got hold of the CCP.
post #109 of 182 Old 12-07-2009, 04:54 PM

I'm not sure I can recommend vendors here, but if anyone wants to know where I got mine for a good price (from an awesome guy and seller) and all the software (CCP) + expansion packs (graphics packs essentially), feel free to send me a PM. It's a legitimate business as well, not some "buddy".
post #110 of 182 Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Is that really the only reason one might want to get CCP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post

With an MSC400/MX980 combo, the editors are a major PITA. I'm glad I got hold of the CCP.

post #111 of 182 Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

Is that really the only reason one might want to get CCP?

The CCP is the software that is still being actively developed and updated.
post #112 of 182 Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

good point, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

The CCP is the software that is still being actively developed and updated.

post #113 of 182 Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post

...all the software (CCP) + expansion packs (graphics packs essentially), feel free to send me a PM. It's a legitimate business as well, not some "buddy".

I was going to PM you but I figured I’d ask my question here in case it interested anyone else or others could chime in with answers too.

How difficult is the programming?
I have one MX-980i and one MX-900i. I purchased them form a local audio video boutique and they did the original programming. They said that this is the only way to do it. The company insists that the dealers handle it.

I had TWC at the time and have since switched over to FIOS. I haven’t had a chance to call my dealer and discuss the reprogramming. Is that a big deal? Can I just bring them in or is this something that will require a house visit?

I would love to be able to do all of the tweaking myself in my home. Perhaps I would have been better off with a “lesser” brand that is more user friendly regarding programming.

I do love them. However, the MX-980i battery is useless. I’m on my second one and it’s time for a new one.

TIA

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #114 of 182 Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

How difficult is the programming?

It depends which remote and what you are trying to do. The MX-900 is quite a bit easier than the MX-980. The real challenge in either case is not that is hard to do but that it is not always obvious what to do. There is not a lot of information so learning how to make the changes requires both patience and some skill. I, personally, have not found it that hard. That being said, I have tried to walk others through it and they have never been able to figure it out.

Quote:

I have one MX-980i and one MX-900i. I purchased them form a local audio video boutique and they did the original programming. They said that this is the only way to do it. The company insists that the dealers handle it.

That is not true with URC. They allow the dealers to decide if they will distribute the software and allow their end-users to program their own remotes.

Quote:

I had TWC at the time and have since switched over to FIOS. I haven't had a chance to call my dealer and discuss the reprogramming. Is that a big deal? Can I just bring them in or is this something that will require a house visit?

It is up to your dealer and their policies. It certainly does not require a house visit but they may insist on it to make sure that it is tested properly.

Quote:

I would love to be able to do all of the tweaking myself in my home. Perhaps I would have been better off with a lesser brand that is more user friendly regarding programming.

It is certainly simpler to program something like a Harmony. It all depends on whether you need the more advanced features or the additional control.
post #115 of 182 Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

However, the MX-980i battery is useless. I'm on my second one and it's time for a new one.

TIA

If you're getting URC replacement batteries, don't bother with them. The MX-980 uses a standard camera battery, a Fuji NP60. You can get an Ultralast NP60 (do a search) for about $15 shipped. They have a 2 year warranty and I've been using one for at least that long in an MX-950.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #116 of 182 Old 12-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

OMG they mark-up replacement batteries? Sorry but that's sad....

**update**
I repent, I guess it could be worse, a least they don't lock us into proprietary batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post

If you're getting URC replacement batteries, don't bother with them. The MX-980 uses a standard camera battery, a Fuji NP60. You can get an Ultralast NP60 (do a search) for about $15 shipped. They have a 2 year warranty and I've been using one for at least that long in an MX-950.

post #117 of 182 Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have done a lot programming over the years (APL, Basic, Fortran, C++) and used other canned programs and I find the software to be below average at best. Nothing really seems intuitive. I have always gotten it to do what I want it to do but they should spend the money and reprogram it. As someone mentioned before, how can you not have an undo button. I also find the "upload" and "download" directions opposite from how I would have assigned them.

David M.
post #118 of 182 Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

As someone mentioned before, how can you not have an undo button. I also find the "upload" and "download" directions opposite from how I would have assigned them.

I believe that both of these issues have been resolved with the CCP.
post #119 of 182 Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
What is CCP? I am running the software that my dealer gave me with the remote.

David M.
post #120 of 182 Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

They might have given you editor...
CCP comes standard with 880 up now, so long as dealer decides to give it to you, their choice.
CCP is their premier editor going forward.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 890

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page