Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 804 Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SUCCESS!!!

So, not only did I receive my IR box some 72 hours after buying a PS3, it performs flawlessly... No skipped columns when nav'ing the XMB, PS button launches as expected, the built in macros for on/off (including monitoring of power state) work as advertised, and Benoit even let me pester him with silly questions about polarity.

The power supply you need to use is one of those micro barrel ones that some cell phones still use, and I managed to double check polarity with a staple running down the shaft to the pin, red probe on the staple, black on the outer covering. (this all sounds filthy, I grant you).

The Q50 =does= seem to do a continuous transmission, meaning I can hold down the PS-key equivalent and have it operate just like with the PS3 remote...

Ben's got .NVO files to work from (HEX codes and CCF files as well), but I've done a bunch of tweaking to make it happy with my Q50 setup. So far, so excellent, and it continues to amaze me that Sony can't sell this to me for the price I paid Ben ($40+cost of BT remote+Shipping).

He made it clear that he's not doing a website to keep order numbers small. The other sites seem to be sold out, having long waiting lists. If it's something you're interested in, give him a shout, it certainly seems to do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 804 Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Thank you!!! Does that thing actually work well? Where do put it?

"Removable screw terminal block for wiring up hardwired IR commands (such as “IR Blaster”)"

Does that part of the description mean that I could put it out-of-sight and send commands via wired IR from the NC-50?

It's been a while i've been to this tread.
Yes, i do own PS3IR-PRO when the first unit launch by Mike.

With NC-50, Nevo Connect, I build my own USB & Optical output sensor unit to sense the Voltage or Optical Light from the PS3. You can also purchase Nevo Voltage sensor and connect to USB Pin 1 & 4 on that USB pins. PS3 will turn off USB power if the power for PS3 is OFF. It's a way to tell Nevo that PS3 is OFF or ON state.

I've done mapping of the Code and menu for the PS3 for Nevo user and forwarded it to Mike. It will also work without the NC-50. If you purchase the unit from Mike, Please mention my name and ask for Q50 Nevo Universal Remote file that work with his system.

Hope that helps.
post #183 of 804 Old 06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizee View Post

It's been a while i've been to this tread.
Yes, i do own PS3IR-PRO when the first unit launch by Mike.

With NC-50, Nevo Connect, I build my own USB & Optical output sensor unit to sense the Voltage or Optical Light from the PS3. You can also purchase Nevo Voltage sensor and connect to USB Pin 1 & 4 on that USB pins. PS3 will turn off USB power if the power for PS3 is OFF. It's a way to tell Nevo that PS3 is OFF or ON state.

I've done mapping of the Code and menu for the PS3 for Nevo user and forwarded it to Mike. It will also work without the NC-50. If you purchase the unit from Mike, Please mention my name that unit a file for Q50 Nevo Universal Remote that work with his system.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, nizee! Good to see you back on here. I'm really new to this PS3 + remote issue, but after a few days, it's obvious we want a solution. Where do you order this device? And who is Mike?
post #184 of 804 Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Thanks, nizee! Good to see you back on here. I'm really new to this PS3 + remote issue, but after a few days, it's obvious we want a solution. Where do you order this device? And who is Mike?

Progprog,
Here his website you can purchase.
http://www.schmartstuff.com/ind.html

He has a tread over here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=PS3IR-PRO

hope that helps.
post #185 of 804 Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM

I just finished programming my Q50, and it was much easier then expected. If anyone is on the fence with doing a Nevo, and is concerned about programming, don't worry. NevoStudio is very user-friendly, and was a complete breeze to use. Much easier then a MX-3000, but a lot more control then a Harmony. Perfect balance. Loving this remote!
post #186 of 804 Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM

Can anyone help with this one?

I can't get the blue backlighting on my hard keys to come on anymore- doesn't happen when I active the screen, press a key or dock the controller. Rebooted the controller, hit the reset button, no dice.

Any ideas if something is fried, or if I changed a setting somewhere?
post #187 of 804 Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Check on top of page where the gears are (Nevo System Settings) Open tab click on edit, under Power Management look for back light brightness and move slide bar. Hope this works!. GREAT REMOTE!!!
post #188 of 804 Old 06-26-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post

Check on top of page where the gears are (Nevo System Settings) Open tab click on edit, under Power Management look for back light brightness and move slide bar. Hope this works!. GREAT REMOTE!!!

Thanks, but no dice- that slider just increases the backlight on the screen, did not change that I have no backlight on the hard keys.

When do the blue key lights come on for you- what do you have to press to get them to come on? Maybe I can narrow this down a little- am also going to try a hard reset and re-download tonight.
post #189 of 804 Old 06-29-2008, 01:18 AM

Hi guys
Got a new Nevo Q50 last week. Have been getting use to the software and just know this is going to be great. Only problem I have at the moment is that I cant get my PC to recognise the remote. I installed StudioPro before I connected the unit for the first time. In the bottom right of the browser in the connections section "USB connection" is greyed out. If I dig into windows on the problem it tells me that there are no drivers installed for the device. Kind of wierd - I thought they'd be installed when I installed the program.

So - any ideas?? I was thinking of un-installing StudioPro and starting again, but thought I'd ask here first.
Dave
post #190 of 804 Old 06-29-2008, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacs View Post

Hi guys
Got a new Nevo Q50 last week. Have been getting use to the software and just know this is going to be great. Only problem I have at the moment is that I cant get my PC to recognise the remote. I installed StudioPro before I connected the unit for the first time. In the bottom right of the browser in the connections section "USB connection" is greyed out. If I dig into windows on the problem it tells me that there are no drivers installed for the device. Kind of wierd - I thought they'd be installed when I installed the program.

So - any ideas?? I was thinking of un-installing StudioPro and starting again, but thought I'd ask here first.
Dave

Make sure that Windows Mobile Device Center is loaded on your machine. It provides the Windows connection/driver to the Q50. [This is for Windows Vista. In XP, this had a different name and I can't remember what it was off-hand...]
post #191 of 804 Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 AM

Hi Progprog
I realised I should have said i use XP
I've got as far as working at that Active Synch isnt "connecting" and trying to work through that now. Ideas still welcome
Cheers
Dave
post #192 of 804 Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacer View Post

Can anyone help with this one?

I can't get the blue backlighting on my hard keys to come on anymore- doesn't happen when I active the screen, press a key or dock the controller. Rebooted the controller, hit the reset button, no dice.

Any ideas if something is fried, or if I changed a setting somewhere?

I have exactly the same problem. I noticed it after leaving it on the charger for a week while I was out of town, only to return to find that the contacts were not connecting and the battery was completely drained. I recharged the unit and it works fine except for the button lighting. I'm not sure if this was when it actually started, but it was when I noticed it.

I have reloaded all of the firmware and it did not help. Any suggestions?
post #193 of 804 Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Progprog
I realised I should have said i use XP
I've got as far as working at that Active Synch isnt "connecting" and trying to work through that now. Ideas still welcome
Cheers
Dave

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's been about a year since I used XP, so I just don't remember the Sync details that well. But I'm certain that that's where your problem lies. (Gee, a problem with Windows??? How odd! ) Anyway, Sync is where the drivers are that will get the connection going. Take a look at the Nevo forum over at remotecentral.com. It has a pretty clunky search function, so be patient and try several permutations of your issue, but there's a lot more in terms of specific problem solutions there than you'll find here. Also, if you have dealer/installer access at nevo.com, the Knowledge Base has lots of useful info and might address this.

Best of luck, and do report back on your progress.
post #194 of 804 Old 06-30-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgyenese View Post

I have exactly the same problem. I noticed it after leaving it on the charger for a week while I was out of town, only to return to find that the contacts were not connecting and the battery was completely drained. I recharged the unit and it works fine except for the button lighting. I'm not sure if this was when it actually started, but it was when I noticed it.

I have reloaded all of the firmware and it did not help. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem as well, anyone find a solution?

--
Korey
post #195 of 804 Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 AM

Hooray!!
Problem solved. Thanks for the RemoteCentral reference Progprog - it turns out that I didnt have the "on" button fully into the "on" position - it was in the middle (someone else there had the same problem). I dont understand why there would ever be a middle position but I guess it doesnt matter now. Activesync has found it and I'm into programing - phew.
Thanks again
Dave
post #196 of 804 Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hooray!!
Problem solved. Thanks for the RemoteCentral reference Progprog - it turns out that I didnt have the "on" button fully into the "on" position - it was in the middle (someone else there had the same problem). I dont understand why there would ever be a middle position but I guess it doesnt matter now. Activesync has found it and I'm into programing - phew.
Thanks again
Dave

Fantastic!! It's also so gratifying (and amusing) when it turns out to be some little thing like that! Glad you're back on track.
post #197 of 804 Old 07-01-2008, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post

I have the same problem as well, anyone find a solution?

I contacted the manufacturer regarding the blue light issue and they said it is a defective remote. They will be replacing it under warranty.
post #198 of 804 Old 07-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Could anybody tell me if the Nevo Q50 is fully compatible with Windows Vista Media Center. We have tried to programme the Q50 from a Microsoft Media Center remote control (model 1039) but some of the functions only work intermittently.

Also we have tried to programme the Q50 from a Samsung remote control but unfortunately the Samsung RC has a single source button which has to be pressed each time you want to change the source (i.e. HDMI, EXT1, EXT2, AV, PC). The problem with this is that we needed to isolate each code/press, I think somebody refered to this as "Multi sends per button". The Samsung remote model is - LE37R8. Any help would be great, thanks.
post #199 of 804 Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynorth View Post

Could anybody tell me if the Nevo Q50 is fully compatible with Windows Vista Media Center. We have tried to programme the Q50 from a Microsoft Media Center remote control (model 1039) but some of the functions only work intermittently.

Also we have tried to programme the Q50 from a Samsung remote control but unfortunately the Samsung RC has a single source button which has to be pressed each time you want to change the source (i.e. HDMI, EXT1, EXT2, AV, PC). The problem with this is that we needed to isolate each code/press, I think somebody refered to this as "Multi sends per button". The Samsung remote model is - LE37R8. Any help would be great, thanks.

I assume that you're referring to learning IR functions from these other remotes. Whenever possible, it's better to find the actual codes to use in NevoStudioPro than to learn them with the remote. The learning function, while I've not had trouble with it, seems to be considered generally less precise. Hence, your inconsistent behavior with those commands.

What you are talking about on your Samsung remote is an input toggle- it just cycles through the available options (tedious & annoying). What you want are discrete codes for the Samsung's inputs, so that you can just select a specific input directly with one button.

If you cannot find the codes for your Media Center or Samsung in the Nevo database, I would try hunting around on remotecentral.com. It can be a cumbersome site to navigate, but once you familiarize yourself with it and the quirks of its search function , there's a treasure-trove of info there. Discrete codes are available for many, many devices. By the way, it's usually more effective to think in terms of finding codes for the device, using its model number, than for the remote itself. So, for example, you want to look up your Samsung TV, not the Samsung remote.

Best of luck...let us know how it goes.
post #200 of 804 Old 07-15-2008, 02:23 AM

flynorth, what model samsund TV do you have?
post #201 of 804 Old 07-15-2008, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWilly View Post

flynorth, what model samsund TV do you have?

I think flynorth kind of did a fly-by!
post #202 of 804 Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 AM

I just finished programming my Nevo and I love it. It's a well built remote with very easy to use software.

Remote works great, but I'm thinking about adding a Nevo Connect. I dont fully understand how the NC works. I have all my equipment in a rack. Does the remote send Z-wave commands to the NC? If so, what kind of range should I get? Does the NC need to be placed in front of the rack to send IR commands? If the NC is in front of my rack, do I need to run wires for the power sensors?
post #203 of 804 Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWALKER44 View Post

I just finished programming my Nevo and I love it. It’s a well built remote with very easy to use software.

Remote works great, but I'm thinking about adding a Nevo Connect. I dont fully understand how the NC works. I have all my equipment in a rack. Does the remote send Z-wave commands to the NC? If so, what kind of range should I get? Does the NC need to be placed in front of the rack to send IR commands? If the NC is in front of my rack, do I need to run wires for the power sensors?

Z_WAVE: The Q50 communicates with the NC-50 via Z-wave, and in your Nevo configuration, you set up which components will then be controlled from the NC-50. They don't all have to be- some can remain direct IR from the Q50, others can be controlled via the NC-50. The z-wave range between the two units seems to vary a lot, depending on building materials, etc. the signal goes through, as well as how many z-wave devices are in the mesh network. (There were some early NC-50s that had an antenna problem which constricted their range, but that's apparently been rectified.) If everything is within one room, such as a typical HT, there shouldn't be any problem. So far, Nevo only uses z-wave for communication between the remote and the NC-50; it can't communicate with any other z-wave controlled devices in your home, although it can include them in the mesh network to enhance connectivity.

NC-50 CONTROL OPTIONS:
There are several ways the NC-50 can communicate with your devices. It has 7 individually programmable IR blasters, including the six multi-use ports on the back. So, it can send commands for devices out the front, but also out the back through wired IR blasters. This allows for a lot of flexibility in locating the unit. Serial modules (~ $50 each) are also available to provide serial control of devices that allow it. So, three ways the NC-50 can control:
  • Front LEDs blast IR out the front of the unit
  • Six IR ports on the back send wired IR control via blasters or wired mini-plugs
  • These same ports can send serial commands through optional serial modules
SENSOR MODULES: The power sensors are only used in those circumstances where your program needs to know the ON/OFF state of a device. This is usually a device for which there are no discrete ON and OFF commands, and a POWER toggle command might turn it on or off inadvertently. The video sensors serve a similar purpose- they detect when a device is transmitting video as sort of a proxy for detecting the ON state. With so many devices now offering discrete ON & OFF commands, these modules (also ~ $50 each) aren't really needed in many configurations.
post #204 of 804 Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM

TWilly,
Very sorry for the delay in replying, I have a SAMSUNG LE37R8 LCD TV.
post #205 of 804 Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Update,
I have actually found the codes for HDMI1 and PC in the NEVOStudioPro database, so I only need the Ext1, Ext2 and AV discrete codes.
post #206 of 804 Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynorth View Post

Update,
I have actually found the codes for HDMI1 and PC in the NEVOStudioPro database, so I only need the Ext1, Ext2 and AV discrete codes.

Check the Advanced keys section for the TV in NSP. Sometimes there are more codes there that aren't in the list of commands you normally see for your device.
post #207 of 804 Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 PM

I see a lot of terms being thrown around but I dont fully understand them.
I was hoping someone can clarify.

I was planning on buying the Q50--but without the NC 50 for now as I already have a hard wired Niles Audio IR Unit that controls all my gear in another closet(none of devices have line of sight).

What I was getting lost in were terms like "2 way sensors", "Serial commands", "one way vs two way RS 232 control", "voltage sensing", etc etc.

Could someone tie in why these are necessary and what we lose if we dont have those available? I've got a basic idea but having a hard time putting it all together.

Thanks.
post #208 of 804 Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktk View Post

I see a lot of terms being thrown around but I dont fully understand them.
I was hoping someone can clarify.

I was planning on buying the Q50--but without the NC 50 for now as I already have a hard wired Niles Audio IR Unit that controls all my gear in another closet(none of devices have line of sight).

What I was getting lost in were terms like "2 way sensors", "Serial commands", "one way vs two way RS 232 control", "voltage sensing", etc etc.

Could someone tie in why these are necessary and what we lose if we dont have those available? I've got a basic idea but having a hard time putting it all together.

Thanks.

All those terms are only applicable if you are using the NC-50. The Q50 on its own sends all its commands as IR, like most remotes do. If you add the NC-50, you also have the option of using serial commands for those devices which offer that option. Sometimes, for some components, there are more discrete commands available in the serial command set than there are in the IR command set.

This is only a consideration, of course, for components that actually accommodate serial control, which is accomplished through an RS232 or serial connector on the back of a device. If your don't see that type of connector on the back (it looks like the monitor connector on the back of your computer), the component doesn't allow serial control and none of this matters.

Some custom remote systems allow 2-way communication within this serial protocol, although the Nevo system does not. An example would be: the remote requests some status call from the component, and then sends out the appropriate command given the component's response. So, when we say the Nevo system allows one-way RS-232 communication, that means that your components can't send info back to the remote.

Finally, there are various types of sensors that can be used with the NC-50 that are used to provide component info to the Nevo system. A video sensor attaches between the NC-50 and the component to let the Nevo system know when a video signal is being passed. A voltage sensor attaches similarly and lets the NC-50 know the power state of the component. (This is useful for devices that don't have discrete ON and OFF commands, where you don't want to send the POWER toggle command and inadvertently turn the device on/off.)

The important thing to understand is that you don't NEED any of these items- NC-50, sensors, serial control module. They are just accessories that expand the Nevo system to particular situations where these options are desirable.

I am curious about your situation and how you are planning to integrate the Q50 with the Niles IR unit. If you're already controlling everything remotely, what will the Q50 be doing?
post #209 of 804 Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Well, Niles IR unit is just the IR (eye and head)part of the equation.
I dont have a good universal remote at the moment--which is where the q50 comes into play.

The part with all these terms I was getting lost is in what wont the q50 do with just plan IR that I will have to go the rs 232 arena? my denon 3808 does support rs232 --so I could probably control it that way, but many dvd players, satellite boxes etc probably don't. then how does the "sensing" or "two-way" part offer additional benefits? it seems to me that not only would I have to replace my niles unit with a nc50, but I would have to make sure that all my devices can also benefit from it to be able to provide back those commands?
post #210 of 804 Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktk View Post

Well, Niles IR unit is just the IR (eye and head)part of the equation.
I dont have a good universal remote at the moment--which is where the q50 comes into play.

The part with all these terms I was getting lost is in what wont the q50 do with just plan IR that I will have to go the rs 232 arena? my denon 3808 does support rs232 --so I could probably control it that way, but many dvd players, satellite boxes etc probably don't. then how does the "sensing" or "two-way" part offer additional benefits? it seems to me that not only would I have to replace my niles unit with a nc50, but I would have to make sure that all my devices can also benefit from it to be able to provide back those commands?

The Q50 handles plain old IR just fine. I'm sure that's the way many owners are using it. The only reason you'd use serial control on something like your Denon receiver is if there are specific commands you want to use that you can't otherwise. But you're right, many, if not most, consumer AV gear does not offer serial control options. Don't think in terms of these accessories offering "additional benefits;" they simply offer additional capabilities for certain CI applications. Having these types of options is part of what distinguishes higher-end custom remote systems from the mass-market stuff like Harmony, so Nevo needs to provide them to compete in the custom market.

The two-way communication just offers a more sophisticated level of control between remote and components, but it's certainly not necessary. The vast majority of people out there are just using regular IR remotes to control their equipment, not the high-end custom install systems like Crestron and Pronto that employ 2-way RS-232, and it works perfectly well.

It sounds to me like there isn't some control problem in your system that would require the equipment we're discussing. If there were, you would know it by now!

I am concerned, however, about your intended use of the Q50 and the Niles unit. When you say the Niles unit is just the "IR part of the equation," I don't quite understand. Sorry, but maybe I just don't know how that unit works. If what you mean is that it receives the signals and simply passes them on to the components, I don't think the Q50 is apt to work with it. The Q50 is designed to work specifically with the NC-50 in these configurations- it sends commands via z-wave to the NC-50, which then communicates with the various devices using whatever protocol (IR or serial) has been set up. How specifically do you expect the Q50 and the Niles IR unit to interact?
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page