Next Generation Remote Control Extender - Both RF & IR Possible? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 171 Old 01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Does anyone know if these now work with the Home Theater Master MX-500 remote?

I normally use it in a URC-8820 but I've also used it in a TiVo peanut remote and a Harmony 670 as I noted in my last post above, works great in all three.

Anyway, I finally got around to trying it in my MX-500...didn't work, sorry.

Vin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 171 Old 01-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a NGRCE, use it to control my Yamaha receiver (with the Yamaha remote) behind my pull down projector screen. The screen is mounted to the top of my entertainment center and pulls down in front of the TV and other equipment whne I want to use it. Now I can switch modes and volume on the receiver when I am using the projector screen.

Saves me from having to get up and reach behind the projector when the Mrs. mentions repeatedly that the TV does not have to be that loud.

Bottom line, works as expected, easiest way to do this sort of thing, money well spent.
post #93 of 171 Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Does anyone know if these now work with the Home Theater Master MX-500 remote?

Also, all of my equipment is in a salamander triple 20 cabinet, with doors, as in the pic below. Will it work if I place it say on the right side inside the cabinet?

Thanks...

I'm wondering the same thing. If so, I'm gonna have to get one of these; it seems to be the best solution to what I need. I'm curious if it'll interfere with Dish UHF remotes. I have two on two different sat. boxes. I see there are two available frequencies for this remote extender... will either (or both) interfere with the Dish remotes? Thanks.
post #94 of 171 Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Based on the post a couple above yours, it would appear that it doesn't. Shame, as the URC300 I have with the RF base is a piece of frustrating crap and I still use my MX500 even if I have to lift my arm (so it points over the coffee table let's say) to get it to work

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #95 of 171 Old 02-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Liked: 12
Hi - I've been trying to get this remote extender to work, but without a great deal of success. It seems that I've got a good deal of RF interference in my house, so much so that without even having the special battery transmitter installed, the spaceship is lighting up and putting out IR signals (tested by looking through video camera). I've got the 433mhz version. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

Anyone interested in trading an unused 433mhz for the 418mhz version?

Jeff
post #96 of 171 Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post

Hi - I've been trying to get this remote extender to work, but without a great deal of success. It seems that I've got a good deal of RF interference in my house, so much so that without even having the special battery transmitter installed, the spaceship is lighting up and putting out IR signals (tested by looking through video camera). I've got the 433mhz version. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

Anyone interested in trading an unused 433mhz for the 418mhz version?

Jeff

What remote are you trying to use it with? Is it working intermittently or not at all?

Vin
post #97 of 171 Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

What remote are you trying to use it with? Is it working intermittently or not at all?

I get the interference even without the transmitter installed in the remote battery compartment. When I do install it in the Harmony 550, it seems to work OK, although the interference is still there and will randomly increase or decrease the volume of my pre-amp and occasionally change the input on my component switch. When it works without the intermittent interference, it seems to control my pre-amp, blu-ray and popcorn hour well. I've not gotten it to work effectively with my directv HR20 * HR21

Thanks,
Jeff
post #98 of 171 Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post

I get the interference even without the transmitter installed in the remote battery compartment. When I do install it in the Harmony 550, it seems to work OK, although the interference is still there and will randomly increase or decrease the volume of my pre-amp and occasionally change the input on my component switch. When it works without the intermittent interference, it seems to control my pre-amp, blu-ray and popcorn hour well. I've not gotten it to work effectively with my directv HR20 * HR21

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff, I'm using the 433 MHz model to control an HR21, a DirecTiVo R10, a Roku box and an A/V switch (all located in my basement) from a bedroom on the 1st floor.

I've also used the 418MHz model to control components in my living room from the kitchen. Both models work perfectly...I know, a lot of good that does you.

I suggest you contact the company with the issues you're having. Since you're having an interference problem you may want to ask them if they'll exchange your 433MHz kit for the 418 MHz model.

I've dealt with them more than once and they've always been very accomodating. On two separate occasions (out of warranty in one instance) they agreed to send me a brand new replacement (after receiving the non-working kit).

Here's a link to their website.

Vin
post #99 of 171 Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM

I have the 418Mhz version and I am also getting alot of interference. I think mine is coming from the wireless sercurity system in the house. I have my IR going into my server and I can monitor the traffic on that port.

Jeff - I would be interested in trying a swap to see if the 433 MHz will work any better.

Alex
post #100 of 171 Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM

I gave it a go with my Harmony 700 with a regular AA and the NG battery. It worked sporadically but not as I envisioned. I tried the NG battery in a Tivo and Denon remote and it worked flawlessly. I even have my wireless router in the same closet as the spaceship and it works. I ordered a 670 from Amazon and the 700 will go upstairs to the bedroom.
post #101 of 171 Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM

I just read this whole post...I think I'm going to pick up a 670 and an Next Gen for my future build basement media room.

I might try to get one for my upstairs since my DVR is in a cabinet. Will these work with the Time warner DVR remotes?
post #102 of 171 Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM

Cant wait to try it out on the new 650, anyone think it will work?
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re.../6621&cl=us,en
Is the NGE+ Harmony combo desirable over the urc fs200?
post #103 of 171 Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 PM

I know my wife is not going to want that UFO to "ruin" the look of her family room, so I'll need to hide it in my stand/cabinet, and I think it's too cramped in there to extend the antenna more than a couple of inches.

Does the antenna need to be extended out all the way? Does the amount it's extended out affect the distance you can control from? If so, what are the constraints?

I won't need control from very far away ... 95% of use will be in the same room as the components, and it'll be a rare occasion when I'll want control from any farther than about 30 feet.
post #104 of 171 Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish View Post

I know my wife is not going to want that UFO to "ruin" the look of her family room, so I'll need to hide it in my stand/cabinet, and I think it's too cramped in there to extend the antenna more than a couple of inches.

Does the antenna need to be extended out all the way? Does the amount it's extended out affect the distance you can control from? If so, what are the constraints?

I won't need control from very far away ... 95% of use will be in the same room as the components, and it'll be a rare occasion when I'll want control from any farther than about 30 feet.

Shouldn't be a problem. I have the antenna extended only a couple of inches and I'm controlling the components in my basement from the 1st floor (see earlier posts)...it works flawlessly. Also, I'm not using emitters...all of my components are easily flashed directly from the (433MHz) spaceship/receiver.

Vin
post #105 of 171 Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Shouldn't be a problem. I have the antenna extended only a couple of inches and I'm controlling the components in my basement from the 1st floor (see earlier posts)...it works flawlessly. Also, I'm not using emitters...all of my components are easily flashed directly from the (433MHz) spaceship/receiver.

Thanks Vin.

How does one go about figuring out whether they should get the 433 MHz or 418 MHz version? I assume the only discerning factor would be if you had other equipment that one or the other frequency could interfere with - does anyone know what kinds of equipment that would be for each frequency?
post #106 of 171 Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish View Post

Thanks Vin.

How does one go about figuring out whether they should get the 433 MHz or 418 MHz version? I assume the only discerning factor would be if you had other equipment that one or the other frequency could interfere with - does anyone know what kinds of equipment that would be for each frequency?

The difference in frequencies has nothing to do with your components, it pertains to the RF signal, i.e., the communication between the transmitter in the remote and the spaceship/receiver.

Regardless of which frequency kit you choose, the end result is the same, that being, the transmitter in the remote converts the IR signal to RF and then sends it to the receiver where it's converted back to IR allowing your IR components to carry out the command.

Anyway, from my experience I've found that the 433MHz system is the better of the two with respect to range and the ability to flash components without the use of emitters.

Vin
post #107 of 171 Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM

First I have to say this place is awsome! I've been reading posts for hours and don't know why I didn't find this place sooner. Anyways here's the question.

Everyone that is using the NG seems to be using a Harmony remote. The 550, 670, 620 seem like popular choices. Has anyone had any luck with any URC models? I like the look of the R50, but I don't want to buy something that isn't going to work with this NG. It will be used in a meeting room at work to control a projector, reciever, DVD player, and auto screen. I want a remote that is easy for everyone to use and is somewhat durable. Please let me know your thoughts.
post #108 of 171 Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectric View Post

First I have to say this place is awsome! I've been reading posts for hours and don't know why I didn't find this place sooner. Anyways here's the question.

Everyone that is using the NG seems to be using a Harmony remote. The 550, 670, 620 seem like popular choices. Has anyone had any luck with any URC models? I like the look of the R50, but I don't want to buy something that isn't going to work with this NG. It will be used in a meeting room at work to control a projector, reciever, DVD player, and auto screen. I want a remote that is easy for everyone to use and is somewhat durable. Please let me know your thoughts.

I bought the NG a few months ago to pair with my R50 and they are working great together. I am using the NG with the emitters, so as to keep the base out of sight.
post #109 of 171 Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 AM

Hi guys.
I'm new here. I distribute the NextGen remote extender in Australasia, the UK and parts of Europe and I'm learning a huge amount about our product - Vin, you're an expert. Anything I can do to assist and advise, more than happy. Nextgen handle things in the US, but outside of there, I'll help where I can - I love this little gadget
post #110 of 171 Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Anyway, from my experience I've found that the 433MHz system is the better of the two with respect to range and the ability to flash components without the use of emitters.

Thanks, Vin, that's a good piece of information.
post #111 of 171 Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 AM

Hi--I have been using the extender (433 mgz vers) for about a yr with a harmony 550 with perfect results. The flying saucer was in a cabinet and used the one eye wire connect.

Then battery replacement warning on remote, so I, recharged all batteries, and no connection to the various units (tv, dvd, cable box) Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Thanks
post #112 of 171 Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrennan8 View Post

Hi--I have been using the extender (433 mgz vers) for about a yr with a harmony 550 with perfect results. The flying saucer was in a cabinet and used the one eye wire connect.

Then battery replacement warning on remote, so I, recharged all batteries, and no connection to the various units (tv, dvd, cable box) Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Thanks

Hey Jim, got your PM. I'm sure you've tried the obvious like placing the transmitter in different postions in the remote's battery compartment, moving the antenna around, double checking that the emitter cable is plugged in all the way, etc.

What about trying the transmitter out in your components' original remotes?

Have you tried positioning the spaceship in front of your components to see if flashing them without using the emitter cable makes a difference?

I'm really not sure what else to suggest. As you know, for most people this device works like magic right from the start.

I had a situation once though where after working perfectly for months (and a couple of successful battery recharges during that time span) it suddenly started to drain the rechargeable transmitter battery overnight.

Through trial and error I determined that the battery was indeed charging and holding a charge. I was able to confirm this by using the freshly charged battery in my other NG kit so I knew that both the spaceship charger and the battery were both good so that only left the transmitter itself as the possible culprit.

I contacted the manufacturer and explained what was happening. They suggested I box it up and send it to them and they'd send me a new one at no charge. All I paid was the shipping charge to send the defective unit back to them. The replacement has been working perfectly for about a year now.

Good luck...please post back with any furthur developments.

Vin
post #113 of 171 Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 AM

I have a theater room with the receiver in the back closet. I need an extender for a fios box. Will this work with fios? Do I need to run a wire (with emitter?) to the front of the room with this system?
Thanks.
Tim
post #114 of 171 Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatraw View Post

I have a theater room with the receiver in the back closet. I need an extender for a fios box. Will this work with fios? Do I need to run a wire (with emitter?) to the front of the room with this system?
Thanks.
Tim

If the component has an IR receiver, the NG should work with it....shouldn't be a problem with the FIOS box.

No need to run an IR emitter, the NG transmitter converts the IR to RF, so no line of sight is required. The RF is converted back to IR by the spaceship receiver which then transmits the signal to the component being controlled.

Vin
post #115 of 171 Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Howdy--I took Vin's suggestion "What about trying the transmitter out in your components' original remotes?

And this solved the problem. I put the transmitter in the stb remote, it worked in rf function. Then I transferred the transmitter to the Harmony remote, and voila. The device which had stopped working, was up and running. So this is a troubleshooting tip: if you have dead batteries, and have to reinstall, and you get no connection--try working the device with your original remote (ie tv, stb etc).

Many thanks to Vin for his invaluble help.

Jim
post #116 of 171 Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear you got it working Jim....thanks for the follow-up.

Vin
post #117 of 171 Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 214
If I wanted to put one of these batteries in a avr remote (denon) and one in a harmony universal remote, would I need 2 separate spaceships extenders with 2 different frequencies, or would they work with just the one spaceship extender? Thanks.
post #118 of 171 Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

If I wanted to put one of these batteries in a avr remote (denon) and one in a harmony universal remote, would I need 2 separate spaceships extenders with 2 different frequencies, or would they work with just the one spaceship extender? Thanks.

Multiple transmitters of the same frequency will work with a single spaceship/receiver.

Vin
post #119 of 171 Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 214
ok thanks. So I just need the "special" battery transmitter with the same frequency as the receiver. Cool. I'm in. Is amazon the cheapest place to pick these up?
post #120 of 171 Old 07-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello. Has anyone tried using this thing between two floors? I read the engadget review and they said it had about 50ft range with a wall inbetween, but I'm not so sure about vertical distance. I have DirecTV and want to use their remote on my first floor to control a box in a room on the second floor. It's probably less than 50ft, but I dunno about ceilings and such blocking the signal.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page