Next Generation Remote Control Extender - Both RF & IR Possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 169 Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to devise a fairly "cheap" solution for hiding most of my HT components. Everything but the receiver will go into a closet (the receiver doesn't have OSD and I prefer to see what the volume setitng is at instead of trying to guess with my ears). So my question is this:

With the Next Generation Remote Control Extender (available at Amazon, etc) can I control the receiver with regular old IR coming from the remote even w/ the RF transmitter in it?

I understand the more expensive Harmony 890 allows you to pick and chose which components receive RF and which receive IR. I wasn't sure what something like the NGRCE would do in this case though.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 169 Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post

With the Next Generation Remote Control Extender (available at Amazon, etc) can I control the receiver with regular old IR coming from the remote even w/ the RF transmitter in it?

Yes. Both IR and RF are transmitted. IR from the remote itself and RF from the transmitter/battery combo that you place in the remote. If you're using a Harmony universal remote (other than a rechargeable one), you should be good to go. The extender does not work well with other universal remotes.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #3 of 169 Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent. Thank you.

Yea, I was considering the 880 but realized it uses a proprietary battery pack so... no go. Eyeing the 670 now.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 169 Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have a Next Generation Remote entender that I am looking to sell. Will be happy to cut a deal for you. PM me if interested. I ended up buy one of the MX Remotes with a RF base instead.
post #5 of 169 Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post

The extender does not work well with other universal remotes.

Hmm, I was under the impression that other than the HTM MX-xxx remotes, it worked well with most universal remotes (other than rechargeable ones).

In any event, I'm using it with the URC-8820 with no issues....works great.

Vin
post #6 of 169 Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Hmm, I was under the impression that other than the HTM MX-xxx remotes, it worked well with most universal remotes (other than rechargeable ones).

In any event, I'm using it with the URC-8820 with no issues....works great.

Some universals work, some don't.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #7 of 169 Old 02-07-2008, 03:29 PM

I just found out about this Next Generation Extender; sounds too good to be true.

My question is, if you use the remote in the same room where the remote and the Next generation spaceship can both "see" the contolled device, won't the device pick up two signals and treat them as two separate commands? Such as volume up twice....
post #8 of 169 Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman View Post

My question is, if you use the remote in the same room where the remote and the Next generation spaceship can both "see" the contolled device, won't the device pick up two signals and treat them as two separate commands? Such as volume up twice....

I've found that sometimes that's a problem, but not often. There is little to no delay in when the "spaceship" retransmits the IR signal, so the signal offset is nearly 0. Usually it just works.
post #9 of 169 Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post

The extender does not work well with other universal remotes.

Just as another data point, I'm using mine with a Harmony 550 with no problems.
post #10 of 169 Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 AM

Is there a place other than Amazon.com that sells this? Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada.
post #11 of 169 Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Is there a place other than Amazon.com that sells this? Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada.

Parts Express carries it and they do ship to Canada...there may be others.

Vin
post #12 of 169 Old 03-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman View Post

I just found out about this Next Generation Extender; sounds too good to be true.

I own this nextgen remote extender and I had to put a tape on the ir from the remote because the ir signal for my remote got mixed up with the transmitter. you might not have this problem but with my sony de515 (amp) it did'nt work when I was pointing the receiver so I just block the IR on the remote and everything is fine now.
post #13 of 169 Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

you can find it @ stereoplus, acces electronique (madison) and electromike in quebec city. maybe e-bay.ca.
post #14 of 169 Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 AM

I too have the Next gen extender. I have it in a Harmony 659 and it works great. I have my DVD and DVR in a closet behind the TV and there are no problems controls any of the equipment. Great little gadget.
post #15 of 169 Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM

I use the Next Gen RF extender with the Harmony 550....this is an amazing product. All my equipment is out of sight or hidden behind a cloth wall so I needed an RF solution. Bought one and it worked so well I bought another so I am running two of the pods with IR extender buttons.
Summit Source (Texas) delivered to Canada... fast and no problems.
post #16 of 169 Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 PM

I'm in the same boat as the others in this thread - I have most equipment behind a closed cabinet door, and would like to control them without springing for an RF-capable remote.

I'm thinking about getting a Harmony remote and coupling it with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender. However, since the RCE replaces a battery in the remote, does that mean that rechargeable remotes are off limits? I was eyeing either a Harmony One or a Harmony 720 but it seems that I'll have to go with a non-rechargeable unit, such as the 550, instead?
post #17 of 169 Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 PM

Yes, until there's a Harmony One (or other higher end version) with RF capabilities, you'll need to use the 550 or one of the other non-rechargable ones with the RCE.

You could try the 890 or 1000 with RF extenders though.

Personally, i use the 550 with the RCE, and it works very well.
post #18 of 169 Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM

I've got two of the NG extenders and they have been working great with my regular remotes. I just purchased the Harmony 520 and can't seem to get the extenders to work with it. Anybody out there have any tips on how to get it to work or experience that it just doesn't work?
post #19 of 169 Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM

Update - works now - see post under 659 official thread
post #20 of 169 Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

I had a question. I just purchased the following HT system components:

Panasonic PT-AX200U projector
Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Receiver
PS3
LG DN798 DVD Player (Upconversion)
Nintendo Wii

The projector will be ceiling mounted, but the others will be placed in a closed off cabinet (technically, two end tables on the ends of the couch, but I still won't have line of sight). What would the best controller solution be? Should I spring for the Harmony 890 or would the 550 + NGE Remote extender be enough? Will all of the components be compatible with both solutions?
post #21 of 169 Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Liked: 11
I thought I would jump in with my experience.

I just purchased the NexGen extender. I am using it with the universal remote that came with my (comcast) Cable box. My DVD player and cable box are both hidden in a closet in another room. I am simply amazed at how well this thing works. I was expecting something to be lacking, maybe a slight delay or maybe intermittent glitches. However, what I am seeing is flawless performance. I am very pleased. IMO This is a must have item for a budget minded HT where hidden components are desired.

SHMO
post #22 of 169 Old 12-12-2008, 05:06 AM

Like SHMO I'd like to use this with my Comcast box and remote control, I see that The Next Generation extender comes in two frequencies 433 and 418. My question is which one should I use and does anyone know of any retail stores in the Michigan area that sell these units.
post #23 of 169 Old 12-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone explain how this works? How does the IR remote convert the signal to RF with just the transmitter part in the battery compartment? How does it know what IR signal to send? I am assuming the receiver IR base is in the other room or closet somewhere.
post #24 of 169 Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I'd guess it's sensing the current spikes or voltage dips from IR blasting and broadcasting a signal that matches ? Only thing I can think of.
post #25 of 169 Old 12-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone using this with 4 or 6 IR blasters to control your entire rack? If so which blasters did you buy that work with the Next Gen RF extender?
post #26 of 169 Old 12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c View Post

Is anyone using this with 4 or 6 IR blasters to control your entire rack? If so which blasters did you buy that work with the Next Gen RF extender?

I use it to control 3 components with this 3 eye emitter. It's worked flawlessly for me.

I have another NGHP set-up without emitters because I was able to position the receiver with line of sight to the components being contolled...this has also worked beyond my expectations.

Vin
post #27 of 169 Old 12-28-2008, 11:29 AM

I have dvd player, Comcast box, receiver, and will soon add Mac Mini and PS3 all inside this TV cabinet.

Half the components are inside the left end, the other compnents are inside the right end, all stacked on shelf. Does the base station need to be directly in front of all the components to work? How long is the cable for the eye emitters? I think I need to go about 5ft from one side to the other.

I am assuming the RF emitter in my harmony 550 will have no effect on the IR signal sent to the tv being that the tv is in line with the remote?

Thanks
post #28 of 169 Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdog81 View Post

I have dvd player, Comcast box, receiver, and will soon add Mac Mini and PS3 all inside this TV cabinet.

Half the components are inside the left end, the other compnents are inside the right end, all stacked on shelf. Does the base station need to be directly in front of all the components to work? How long is the cable for the eye emitters? I think I need to go about 5ft from one side to the other.

I am assuming the RF emitter in my harmony 550 will have no effect on the IR signal sent to the tv being that the tv is in line with the remote?

Thanks

The base station doesn't have to be DIRECTLY in front of all the components but I don't know if you'll be able to position it in a way that it flashes all the components in your cabinet. If that's the case you can use the 3-eye emitter (see my link in previous post) or if needed, the 6-eye emitter from the same website. The emitters can extend up to 8' from the receiver.

Your remote will continue to work as it did with line of sight components like your TV.

Vin
post #29 of 169 Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the info Vin. I was looking online, trying to figure out how long the cable on that IR emitter is. Couldn't find the info, not even on the manufacturers website. But I can always count on AVSforum. I wouldn't even know this Next Generation option existed if it weren't for AVS selling me on it. Thanks for the info. 8ft should be enough with a foot or two to spare.

As far as the number of IR emitters, Is there only one 3.5mm jack on the base or can I always add another ir emitter as I add components? Just trying to figure out if I should go with a 3 eye or 6 eye emitter. Or maybe I can always get a splitter to turn the 1 3.5mm ort into two 3.5mm ports assuming that would work.
post #30 of 169 Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM

I want to control 4 components hidden behind a console door. Which emitters set would I need?

The Next Generation Remote Control Extender comes with 1 emitter, so do I need the 3 eye (1+3=4) or would I need the 6 eye, since it looks like there is only one jack for the emitter cables?

Also, does any one know of any good merchants to purchase the 6 eye emitter. (SummitSource.com got some bad reviews.)

Thanks for your help!
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page