New Harmony remote won't learn IR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I just picked up a Harmony One. Everything on it works fine except for the fact that it simply won't learn new IR commands. I constantly see the message that there is no IR signal. I've tried moving the two remotes closer and farther apart a million times. I've tried turning off the lights, changing the surface they are sitting on, using a different USB port, etc etc.

Every now and then I'll briefly see the "poor IR signal" message, but that's rare and it will never turn into anything.

If it matters, I'm running 32-bit Vista.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible my IR receiver is just broken?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Are you pointing the remote at the IR emitter or IR receiver? On the 880 the emitter as at the top and the receiver is at the bottom.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Are you pointing the remote at the IR emitter or IR receiver? On the 880 the emitter as at the top and the receiver is at the bottom.

The receiver, at the bottom of the remote, but for good measure I've tried both anyway.

I've also tried learning from multiple controllers and learning to multiple devices. All have failed.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Have you tried learning in raw mode?

If it still doesn't work, I would probably start looking into exchanging it. You might have just got one with a broken IR reciever.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Have you tried learning in raw mode?

If it still doesn't work, I would probably start looking into exchanging it. You might have just got one with a broken IR reciever.

I did try. No dice. Unless someone else has an answer, I guess I'll return it. Seems like a peculiar thing to randomly malfunction on a remote.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Here's an update on what happened with my One. I returned the remote and got a new one. Same problem.

I called Customer Support (and after getting disconnected 3 times) and was upgraded to Level 2 support immediately because apparently Level 1 isn't equipped to deal with the One yet. The woman I spoke to told me that the inability of the One to learn new IR commands is an issue Logitech has known about since BEFORE the release of the device and will likely be addressed in a future firmware update. She then kindly added 30 second skip, MY DVR, and On Demand to my remote for me (which are the commands I was trying to get my remote to learn for my Comcast box).

She said I'm the first person she's heard of calling in about this problem, but she definitely has seen it listed as a known issue from before release of the remote. I have no clue why it seemingly doesn't affect others on this board...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffama33 View Post

She said I'm the first person she's heard of calling in about this problem, but she definitely has seen it listed as a known issue from before release of the remote. I have no clue why it seemingly doesn't affect others on this board...

Mine no learny remotey IR thingie either. I can't believe Logitech released this with an advertised function that simply is 100% busted! Arrrrgh, it impedes my ability to use the thing, I'm really ticked. Knowing Logitech's history, we'll get that firmware upgrade in 2010.

Anyone else wanna chime in? Misery loves company, you know.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I had to "learn" a couple of IR commands from my Yamaha receiver's remote. First time I tried it, no go (key press not detected). I had the two remotes too close to each other.
When I moved them apart a bit more to about 4-5 inches, the key press was detected and all seemed well. But still no go (the button I "learned" the command to didn't do anything).
I then used "learn RAW" mode and that did the trick.
So, use RAW, and try keeping the two remotes farther apart; might work for you as it did for me.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 PM

I've tried learn normal and RAW using my Series 3 Tivo remote and neither work at any distance in any light environment. Ugh.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page