In-Home Remote Gaming? Is it possible? If not, need help on quiet HTPC GPU. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pretty simple concept:

I got a gaming PC in one room, HDTV in the living room. I have a powerline network from the room with the pc to the living room and it is really strong (as fast as a direct wired connection of my PC to the router).

I'm wondering if I can somehow use a keyboard / mouse in the living room to control the PC in the other room and output the sound and video via hdmi into the TV and do it all without any input lag.

I'm building an HTPC for the living room and originally went for an ultra quiet, barely any gaming build.

But then I thought it might be cool every now and then to play on the 59" PN59D8000 Samsung Plasma with max graphics settings at 1080p and figured instead of buying higher end components (CPU/GPU) which will cost more and make the HTPC louder than I'd like, maybe I can somehow use the HTPC and the powerline network as tools to play games using the gaming rig in the other room.

If this is not possible, I'm back to square one:

Trying to find a super quiet but powerful enough video card / cpu combo for the HTPC. And I'm not sure how buying a GPU for an HDTV with max resolution of 1920x1080 compares to buying one for my 22" HP ZR30 IPS monitor at 2560x1600. And how much ram comes into play when you're capping at that lower res. To give you a sense of how quiet I'm trying to get the HTPC, the PSU is even a 500w fanless and all case fans and possibly CPU hs/fan will be replaced with noctua's.

Lastly, I'm very much a fan of nVidia over ATI because of the driver issues. nVidia has always been rock solid for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Liked: 10
I believe asus do an all in one unit that wirelessly transmits full hdmi and usb mouse and keyboard signals for this sort of application, i'm unsure of any lag but at least it's something to consider looking into smile.gif
post #3 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 17
I use these to carry video/audio: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2

and these to carry USB: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

I put wall plates in behind the TV and it works perfect, no noticeable input lag. You could just put the USB wall plate wherever you need it like next to your couch.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Hdmi extenders over cat5 are atleast partially a scam. You can wire 2 cat5 cables to a hdmi connector and theoretically extend the cable up to 100m. I doubt these extenders will work for the OP's situation but are good if you can't wire up a hdmi connector. If you find a hdmi over ethernet adapter that should work but I bet it would need a gigabit connection and cost a couple hundred bucks.

I have only heard bad things about wireless hdmi.

I would say you have 2 real options:

1. Run HDMI and a CAT6 cable for the above mentioned usb adapter(cool adapter, cheap price).

2. Watercooled htpc.

As far as fanless GPU's, this is about as good as it gets: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121655 I have never had issues with ATI's drivers but to each there own...

For Nvidia I believe there were fanless 450's.

Last but not least: http://www.corsair.com/blog/using-a-hydro-series-h70-on-a-nvidia-geforce-gtx480/ I think you will like this one...

There might be a software solution to stream the game but that would have latency issues and look bad...
post #5 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Liked: 10
Is there no way of getting a cable to your TV at all? I sit at my 22" screen for work etc then trundle into my sitting room to play 100" Crysis, BF3 etc with no lag at all on my projector. A 15m HDMI from my PC and a USB extension to bring my wireless dongle into range of where I sit with my wireless keyboard and mouse. Not ideal if you've just re plastered the house but can be very discrete if you're willing.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

Hdmi extenders over cat5 are atleast partially a scam. You can wire 2 cat5 cables to a hdmi connector and theoretically extend the cable up to 100m. I doubt these extenders will work for the OP's situation but are good if you can't wire up a hdmi connector. If you find a hdmi over ethernet adapter that should work but I bet it would need a gigabit connection and cost a couple hundred bucks.
The one I linked at monoprice is nowhere near hundreds of dollars and it works perfect. Ghetto rigging up cat5 cables up to a HDMI connector is a sure way to ask for video/audio issues.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

What you posted was hdmi over cat5 not hdmi over ethernet. Hdmi over ethernet should work for the op's situation but is fairly expensive. You can call it ghetto rigging but if you have a professional install hdmi connectors in your wall they will normally use cat6. Cat5e should be fine for shorter runs but the professionals don't like unpaid service calls...

In example: http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3940

I am a big fan of monoprice I just don't understand why the shown unit requires a power brick unless they are amplifying the signal. The price also seems a bit high I might be wrong though.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM

HDMI over ethernet (cat5e/cat6) is what I linked..The medium I used for mine is a Cat6 cable. But of course you'd want to use a power adapter for an amplified signal, or else you wouldn't be able to carry the signal that far of a distance. What you're linking to won't do well past 50ft. I tried one of those and I couldn't get my TV to keep the signal for more than a few seconds at a time with 23ga Cat6.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post

HDMI over ethernet (cat5e/cat6) is what I linked..The medium I used for mine is a Cat6 cable. But of course you'd want to use a power adapter for an amplified signal, or else you wouldn't be able to carry the signal that far of a distance. What you're linking to won't do well past 50ft. I tried one of those and I couldn't get my TV to keep the signal for more than a few seconds at a time with 23ga Cat6.

hdmi over cat5e/6 is just wiring two cat6 to hdmi connector.

hdmi over ethernet is fully implementing ethernet protocols to extend the signal over miles/continents. Doing a search for hdmi over ethernet seems to bring up a lot of hdmi over cat6 so I understand your confusion and full realize that it is stupid marketing that is causing the confusion.

Either way the powerline network adapters use the ethernet standard and are not just cat5e/cat6 extenders so they will not work in this case.

From Tripp-lite's website "150 ft. using 24Awg, Solid Wire Cat6". I would suspect one of two things happened that made this not work for you. Your Cat6 is ran too close to power lines. Punch-downs can be a pain-in-the-butt, I would bet there was a wire not properly punched down. I normally punch down cables multiple times to ensure that it is in there correctly.

Anyways, I'm happy you found something that works good for you but it will not work for the OP.

Looking again I see that monoprice has a non-amplified version for shorter runs and this is a great option as people wouldn't have to use a punch-down tool. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=3#specification
post #10 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 AM

You're thoroughly confused and misinformed. In order to actually support a routeable HDMI signal over an ethernet network, you'd need over 10Gbit/sec of bandwidth available for it to comply to spec. In this thread at this moment, we are talking about HDMI over ethernet extenders. (ethernet being expressed in this context as a single or double cat5e/cat6 cable)

And no, my installation when I used the tripp-lite non-amplified extender was done correctly. I'm a computer engineer by degree and do computer hardware system engineering for a nuclear power plant as a living. You just have to realize HDMI is sensitive to voltage drop over a distance >35ft non-amplified, and it will cause handshake issues. This is why you should always use an amplified extender when making long runs.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Please try your hdmi over ethernet adapter with a network switch, router or powerline network adapter and report back on your success...
post #12 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Please try your hdmi over ethernet adapter with a network switch, router or powerline network adapter and report back on your success...
Obviously that doesn't work because the end of line devices don't package the data in a routeable format.. hence why they are just extenders. "Ethernet Cables" have multiple categories which we are talking about (Cat5e/Cat6), which is why we are saying HDMI over ethernet (ethernet being the cable type, not the protocol).
post #13 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

Please read. I think this will clear things up for you...

To summarize ethernet is a type of network.

My whole point was that the adapter you pointed to can not be used in the OP's situation...
post #14 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

Please read. I think this will clear things up for you...

To summarize ethernet is a type of network.

My whole point was that the adapter you pointed to can not be used in the OP's situation...
Christ.. no ****. And ethernet cables in various categories carry the signal, as I have said, also indicated on the Wikipedia page. Ethernet protocols of various types are used on the physical ethernet network. Now that we have cleared up this very trivial amateur knowledge for you, lets continue.

The OP won't find **** to route HDMI over his existing network which is why I recommended the HDMI over ethernet extender, which uses newly installed standalone cat6 cables for a point to point connection.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

cat5e is a type of twisted pair cable. Ethernet cable is any cable used in an ethernet network(think coaxial, twisted pair, fiber etc.) so if it said hdmi over ethernet cable I guess it would be correct..

For running HDMI in the wall please see the CL2 rated cables on: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

If you already have a long run of cat5e/cat6 in the wall then what w1retap posted is perfect for you.

Here is hdmi over ethernet for you: http://milestek.com/p-16336-hdmi-over-lan-ethernet-extender.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=milestek

Flame war aside please let us know how it goes.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Your persistent trolling of semantics is sad.. I said HDMI over ethernet, specifically pointing out the cat5e/cat6 type of ethernet cable. It says it right on the box, and any single person in a computer related field wouldn't be such a fool to argue about it.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm, trolling...

You're thoroughly confused and misinformed. followed soon after by I'm a computer engineer by degree and do computer hardware system engineering for a nuclear power plant as a living.

Christ.. no ****.

Now that we have cleared up this very trivial amateur knowledge for you

The OP won't find ****

and any single person in a computer related field wouldn't be such a fool to argue about it.

I guess it's a mystery why I felt the need to respond.

I'm sorry that you are so thoroughly confused and misinformed that you felt the need to continue arguing for so long.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Hmm, trolling...

You're thoroughly confused and misinformed. followed soon after by I'm a computer engineer by degree and do computer hardware system engineering for a nuclear power plant as a living.

Christ.. no ****.

Now that we have cleared up this very trivial amateur knowledge for you

The OP won't find ****

and any single person in a computer related field wouldn't be such a fool to argue about it.

I guess it's a mystery why I felt the need to respond.

I'm sorry that you are so thoroughly confused and misinformed that you felt the need to continue arguing for so long.
Point illustrated. Take correct statements and argue semantics for the sake of arguing, then agree with my choice of recommendation, then continue to troll. Please, go on.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 11
I currently use HDMI over cat6 (2 cables) to connect my Xbox back to my AVR and to PJ and they are 60' runs. I could have used a full HDMI but getting them through 90 degree turns with thick cables is difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page