Desktop (gaming) surround/rear speaker placement for 5.1 speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Logitech Z-5500 speakers (5.1) and I'm a bit confused on the correct speaker position for the surround/rear speakers.

According to THX, in a desktop setup the surround/rear speakers should be placed BEHIND you but this seems to be the opposite of movie/theater 5.1 setups (where the surrounds are placed only slightly behind you and to the side).

I've read some posts saying that gaming surround is encoded differently than movie surround and that placing the speakers completely behind you (i.e. on a back wall) is the correct setup.

Can anybody confirm this or have any additional information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't put the surround speakers in my z-5500 set on the back wall, but they are more than just slightly behind me. I'm not really using them much for gaming these days though.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #3 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Modern Windows lets you select for 5.1 with surrounds behind or to the side. In regards to games it doesn't matter where you put them, as long as Windows' settings match your physical speaker locations. Audio in games is rendered as a circle then handed to Windows. Windows then chooses how to split that circle to match your particular setup.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Modern Windows lets you select for 5.1 with surrounds behind or to the side. In regards to games it doesn't matter where you put them, as long as Windows' settings match your physical speaker locations. Audio in games is rendered as a circle then handed to Windows. Windows then chooses how to split that circle to match your particular setup.
Definitely this.

Just make sure that you have the speakers in Windows configured for how they're physically positioned in your room. Also, some games (very rare these days!) such as Grand Theft Audio IV and Max Payne 3 have settings in the audio options to specify if you're using surround side or rear for your 5.1 setup.

I have a 7.1 setup but some games are limited to 5.1; those 5.1 games always use the rear speakers and leave out the sides.
Reply Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page