looking for best "all-around" gaming/home theater wireless headset - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a somewhat nice setup regarding my surround sound, however my current living situation does not permit me to truly enjoy my movies or tv shows without messing with my downstairs tenants. I have to usually play COD with the volume almost all the way down, and thats tough for me. Watching movies, I have to mess with my eq settings to virtually eliminate all bass and mids so I don't get transmission through the floors. Soooo.

I'm looking for a great headset that can pull double/triple duty for me.
1. Needs to be wireless (i can't deal with cords and my dog seems to not like them either, as thats why I no longer have my Turtlebeach headset)
2. Can be used for Xbox gaming
3. Can be used for watching TV
4. Can be used to watch movies through my HTPC.

I would like to keep my price tag Under $200 but will stretch for something nice up to $250 if it is really "That much better" than the others.

Thanks,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Possibly looking at the Triton Warhead 7.1... Reviews seem favorable and I can get one for $225 on ebay...
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
There is a very informative thread in the Xbox forum on headset gaming, specifically with DD surround sound. The person who runs the thread also has a thread on head-fi that is up to date. Madlustenvy is the person on head-fi. He lost his password for the AVS thread so updates are inside the thread. You can ask in there and get very good answers quickly. Good luck, wireless has been harder to do well, but newer models have been well received. If you are considering the Xbox One, you may want to wait. It is unknown currently if the microphone with gaming headsets will be supported. I imagine it will be, but you never know.

Astro gaming has a few options. One is a combo that allows you to use the A40 headset it comes with, or ANY headphone/set that you choose. They also have the A50 headset that is completely wireless.

I really have no desire to go wireless because I don't want the A40 headset that I have to buy to get the wireless Mixamp. I know what sound I want and that doesn't come cheap. Spending hundreds on just a headphone is worth it to me so I am as happy as I am listening to my speakers. I LOVE my AKG 702 65th Anniversary headphone and was well worth the $350. The are a 1/10th of what I spent on just my main speakers. The sad part is living in an apartment makes using my speakers harder. The headphones allow me to get great sound, at whatever volume I want, any time of day. I use them far more than the speakers so their cost is justifiable.

I highly suggest doing some research and figuring out what you really want. I took a long, expensive road to get to the point I am now. I should have just spent the money upfront instead of trying to save money (spent WAY more, lol). In the end I am happy. I wish I could do wireless as it would make it easier, but I am good how things are now!

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response:

I got a chance yesterday to test out a few headsets at bestbuy and a small audio store nearby. I really loved the Sennheiser S180 for their all around sound features... Everything just sounded crisp and even the most delicate sounds seemed really well reproduced even in the face of heavy ambient noise in a feature. Unfortunately the $300+ Price tag near made me choke on my own tongue. I picked up the top of the line Turtle Beach PX5's and thought they felt a bit cheap and honestly after hearing the 180's felt like the sound was just a bit flat.

Then I saw the Warheads that I referenced earlier... Loved the way they look and felt on my head, albeit a bit snug (but i guess that's pretty important) Sound production was very very good... Definitely in between the 180's and PX5's... I saw the price and I was like ehhh thats too much ($230 + tax) so i went home.

Went online for giggles and saw that the Warheads were listed for $125 at Best buy!? I was like WTH how can they price them in store at $230 and then list them online for $100 less... Well I ordered them and picked them up from the same exact store I went to the same day... I figured for the small investment here, I could have a pretty decent set with the features I want and not kill my bank account.

Tested them last night... COD sounded great in game play, although I wish they had a bit more Bass in game play with explosions, I think i just need to play with them a little more... But where they really shined was when I hooked them up to my HTPC and watched some samples from Avatar and StarWars Episode II. Bass reproduction at maximum levels was amazing!

As far as con's... They are marked as 7.1 Surround Sound Headphones... Meh... I wouldnt quite say that. My current 5.1 surround sound definitely performs better than these headphones do as far as sensing audio coming from behind to front or key locations in scenes.
A good example of this would be the fight sequence at night with Suli fighting the dogs in Pandora... there are a lot of cackles and foot falls that happen all around you and in a regular theater environment you feel like you are at the center of the action and things happening around you.
Another would be in Episode II where Obi Wan is following Jango Fet through the asteroid field and he is dropping seismic charges... It does a great job of projecting sound outward and inward through the theater and through the speakers.

In both cases the headphones fared very well, in attempting this kind of immersion, but i doubt many headphones out there can truly reproduce the sensation of a gunshot going off behind you and from a speaker that is 5-10 feet in your periphery or behind you.

Still I would recommend them as an entry level and overall good investment for the money (if you can find them like I did for that reduced price)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It is funny how certain headphones can simulate surround so well. With MW2 and the PC360s or Annie's I can pinpoint exactly where someone is. I can usually greet them with a shotgun blast the second they turn the corner, lol. Both of those headsets do pinpoint accuracy if the games audio is up to par. Sound whoring at its best!

When i had Triton AX720s, they were good but nothing at all like the two I own now. I can hear people reloading guns and know exactly where they are.

I think the PLYR headset from Skullcandy may be the best wireless setup. I haven't heard them but they reviewed well. I do remember people complaining about the warheads but I forget what for.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

It is funny how certain headphones can simulate surround so well. With MW2 and the PC360s or Annie's I can pinpoint exactly where someone is. I can usually greet them with a shotgun blast the second they turn the corner, lol. Both of those headsets do pinpoint accuracy if the games audio is up to par. Sound whoring at its best!

When i had Triton AX720s, they were good but nothing at all like the two I own now. I can hear people reloading guns and know exactly where they are.

I think the PLYR headset from Skullcandy may be the best wireless setup. I haven't heard them but they reviewed well. I do remember people complaining about the warheads but I forget what for.

The PLYRs are really good for the money.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
X360 Warhead 7 1 Headset Pack Of 2 , Akg K702 65th Anniversary Edition , Sennheiser Rs 180 Digital Wireless Headphone System
Gear in this thread - X360 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page