input switching, hometheater, and confusion. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lets just start with what I have, so far I've got a Samsung ES8000, a 3D model TV with it's own reciever, I think it's active 3D? Either way, as of right now I have an Xbox 360 over HDMI, an apple Tv over HDMI, a PS3 and a Wii which both use component AV cables ( I think? Red, yellow and white chords); The es8000 has 3 HDMI (with different acronyms, I'll post if it helps), My ps3 isn't on HDMI due to my belief the port is bad (though I'll have another post on that soon), my current question is my ultimate goal is to have a cinematic surround sound gaming experience, though I'm a bit far without any form of sound system yet, the problem i face is a lack of HDMI and AV ports, it only has a spot for one composite/component cable at a time, I was thinking of finding a video switch for simplicity, but since my goal is an all out sound system would a reciever do the same thing for me? My branch question is that the TV can set different settings for each HDMI port, specifically game mode being vital for any FPS game, otherwise the games have video lag. Just general info on how this setup works would be great, pointing towards any thorough guides or links to items which you recommend would also be great. Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmohr1990 View Post

Lets just start with what I have, so far I've got a Samsung ES8000, a 3D model TV with it's own reciever, I think it's active 3D? Either way, as of right now I have an Xbox 360 over HDMI, an apple Tv over HDMI, a PS3 and a Wii which both use component AV cables ( I think? Red, yellow and white chords); The es8000 has 3 HDMI (with different acronyms, I'll post if it helps), My ps3 isn't on HDMI due to my belief the port is bad (though I'll have another post on that soon), my current question is my ultimate goal is to have a cinematic surround sound gaming experience, though I'm a bit far without any form of sound system yet, the problem i face is a lack of HDMI and AV ports, it only has a spot for one composite/component cable at a time, I was thinking of finding a video switch for simplicity, but since my goal is an all out sound system would a reciever do the same thing for me? My branch question is that the TV can set different settings for each HDMI port, specifically game mode being vital for any FPS game, otherwise the games have video lag. Just general info on how this setup works would be great, pointing towards any thorough guides or links to items which you recommend would also be great. Thanks in advanced!

One of a receiver's basic functions is video switching, so you should definitely start there. All your gear will route into the receiver, and a single HDMI output will carry everything over to the TV. Although inexpensive receivers might not be able to convert the component inputs into HDMI, so you might need a separate run of component cables as well.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess a big question of mine I have two distinct TV profiles, one for gaming another for Movies/content streaming, can a reciever handle multiple inputs at the same two for more than one output... So, I'd like to have the game systems setup on one HDMI pipe to a signle HDMI port on the tv for a gaming profile, then another for all media HDMI going to the Movie profile HDMI.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, I guess a big question of mine I have two distinct TV profiles, one for gaming another for Movies/content streaming, can a reciever handle multiple inputs at the same two for more than one output... So, I'd like to have the game systems setup on one HDMI pipe to a signle HDMI port on the tv for a gaming profile, then another for all media HDMI going to the Movie profile HDMI.

There's two ways to go about that. You can either use the receiver's internal processing to use different settings on the receiver itself, which would make the switching a lot easier, although the receiver might not have the settings you desire. Or you can route some gear into the receiver, and others directly into the TV. Anything you'd route directly into the TV would need to have the audio routed separately to the receiver, and it makes switching more difficult, since you have to switch the TV and receiver separately.

There are much simpler HDMI switches if all you're concerned with is switching, but if you want to start building a proper home theater setup, you're going to want a receiver as part of it.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

the goal is definitely to get surround sound at some point, so that's why I was thinking it would be good to go ahead and get one. I suppose it would be about finding a receiver which can handle such settings. Since it controls audio and video would it have it's own color tuning? or is that still sole by the TV? what about two receivers ( i know they can be expensive) would there be a way to split audio cables to route to both receivers?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

the goal is definitely to get surround sound at some point, so that's why I was thinking it would be good to go ahead and get one. I suppose it would be about finding a receiver which can handle such settings. Since it controls audio and video would it have it's own color tuning? or is that still sole by the TV? what about two receivers ( i know they can be expensive) would there be a way to split audio cables to route to both receivers?

Two receivers would be kind of silly. The easiest solution for you would be to route everything through the receiver into a single input on the TV, and get a programmable remote that would be make easy to switch between the picture modes on the TV.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

The trouble I have is switching picture modes is easy, the es8000 has different modes I can switch on any of the ports, the trouble is it has something called game mode which works with with only an on oor off state, when enabled it removes other picture setting functions, there's no way I'm going to switch it on and off everytime I want to play a game as I state, my biggest example is halo, if game mode is off the lag, not only input but visual lag is unbearable ina game which needs a quick response) I couldnt seem to find any reciver which support dual output, because that would be perfect. as stinging only one hdmi port to the tv wouldn't change game mode based on the ssystem it's inputting.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The trouble I have is switching picture modes is easy, the es8000 has different modes I can switch on any of the ports, the trouble is it has something called game mode which works with with only an on oor off state, when enabled it removes other picture setting functions, there's no way I'm going to switch it on and off everytime I want to play a game as I state, my biggest example is halo, if game mode is off the lag, not only input but visual lag is unbearable ina game which needs a quick response) I couldnt seem to find any reciver which support dual output, because that would be perfect. as stinging only one hdmi port to the tv wouldn't change game mode based on the ssystem it's inputting.

With the right remote, you could set it up to switch to game mode and back with a single button press. Or you can have it automate the process of switching the video input on the TV, and then audio setting on the receiver, so you could make it work by routing some video sources into the receiver, and others directly into the TV (all the audio always goes to the receiver.)

I understand where you're coming from, but that's the fundamental issue with game mode....you can't really have it both ways without some fiddling most of the time. No receiver can provide that functionality for you either...it has to come from the TV.

If it can save game mode based on each HDMI input, you might be able to put an HDMI switch between the receiver and the TV...but then you'd manually have to swap it on the switch and the TV, which probably isnt any easier.

Trust me, a remote like a harmony will make this pretty easy on you.

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Xbox 360 Console
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page