How to get 5.1 game audio from the PC to reciever - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using a receiver on my PC for a long time, maybe 10 years, and in the past i have always used analog outputs on the audio card (3.5 to stereo rca), to connect to a reciever (that had passive rca ins), in time i dropped the reciever in favor of an Emotiva UPA-5 so for me all has continue the same as it was before.

Recently I have been reading and newer hardware, even onboard audio cards have DTS Connect / Dolby Digital Live, that encode on the fly the games audio so it could be send to a receiver for processing with a signal that it can decode, something that i wish was available back when i started this hobby, none the less its a great feature (if it works).

But recently i came across a comment that im not sure if its real, so i come to you guys for some experiences and to see if it would work like that,
Quote:
You do not need to "encode" games for an HDMI connection. They just work as longs as you've properly configured your windows sound properties for 5.1.

Optical/Coax is the connection that cannot pass 5.1 from games unless encoded by DD Live or what have you. HDMI works flawlessly without any hoops to jump through.

I've used BOTH connections to get sound from my PC to my receiver to my 5.1 speakers.
So by what im reading im assuming that just by setting up windows in the audio manager as 5.1, it will send a signal that a reciever can decode on 5.1? is this possible or will the signal reach as stereo signal, as it used to happen 10 years ago, when i used coax/opt to send a game signal to a reciever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
I can only comment on 2 types of connections that I used from my PC to AVR and that's via:

1- Optical, this wasn't able to give me 5.1 surround, just 2 channel audio.
2- HDMI connection via my older AMD 6970 Lightning GPU, IIRC I installed some official audio drivers or something but I can't remember if it was included in AMD's regular GPU drivers or not, probably was. All I had to do was configure the audio source in windows for 5.1 (you know, just going to the "Playback devices" option by right clicking the volume icon in the task bar and configure the HDMI audio connection).

The HDMI connection allowed me to play games with surround audio without issues like Skyrim and didn't require further configurations.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #3 of 18 Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Liked: 12
Interesting. I've been running my htpc directly to my tv and then optical to the receiver. Wondering now if I never had surround disabled. I only have a 3.1 setup currently.

If I went the hdmi route I'd have to have the video card output audio. Last time I tried this on my home desktop I couldn't get this to work because if I recall correctly the video card needs some additional wire to go into the motherboard. Is that correct?

This is sounding like bypassing the on board audio output I have altogether and going through the video card itself?
post #4 of 18 Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Interesting. I've been running my htpc directly to my tv and then optical to the receiver. Wondering now if I never had surround disabled. I only have a 3.1 setup currently.

If I went the hdmi route I'd have to have the video card output audio. Last time I tried this on my home desktop I couldn't get this to work because if I recall correctly the video card needs some additional wire to go into the motherboard. Is that correct?

This is sounding like bypassing the on board audio output I have altogether and going through the video card itself?

I just use my Nvidia video card's HDMI for video and audio. No motherboard sound needed. When I hook up to the TV, it outputs stereo. When I go through an AVR, I get 7.1.

Easy as that.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

So by what im reading im assuming that just by setting up windows in the audio manager as 5.1, it will send a signal that a reciever can decode on 5.1? is this possible or will the signal reach as stereo signal, as it used to happen 10 years ago, when i used coax/opt to send a game signal to a reciever.

The hdmi link will pass whatever the game puts out unless you encode it. Most games put out PCM but there are a few rare games that put out already encoded streams. I don't believe there is any benefit to encoding multichannel pcm streams, in fact I'd worry about the algorithms changing things. I had an hdmi card in my system that could encode to DDLive or DTSconnect for a while. I never really found any use for it since I refuse to listen to anything mixed to a different amount of channels than the software created.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I just use my Nvidia video card's HDMI for video and audio. No motherboard sound needed. When I hook up to the TV, it outputs stereo. When I go through an AVR, I get 7.1.

Easy as that.
à yes! I have a mini-HDMI on my gtx560 and i didn't know that it can deliver the audio

galaxy note 3
post #7 of 18 Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

2- HDMI connection via my older AMD 6970 Lightning GPU, IIRC I installed some official audio drivers or something but I can't remember if it was included in AMD's regular GPU drivers or not, probably was. All I had to do was configure the audio source in windows for 5.1 (you know, just going to the "Playback devices" option by right clicking the volume icon in the task bar and configure the HDMI audio connection).

The HDMI connection allowed me to play games with surround audio without issues like Skyrim and didn't require further configurations.

Same here.

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 hooked up to my receiver with an HDMI cable and I have proper 5.1 audio in games (and as far as I know the receiver gets a PCM signal). I haven't installed anything special apart from AMD's official GPU drivers. Just make sure you configure the Windows sound settings in the control panel properly.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My 5.1 system just arrived and I have it hooked up to my pc with HDMI with one of the HDMI outs on my GTX Titan but when I switch into NVIDIA SSurround mode I loose my audio. Even though I can still see my 4th monitor with the AVR Fine. Its doing my head in

Also when not in surround the 5.1 works well in the testing but when I go to Youtube to test the 5.1 it only plays through the FL, FR, C. No sub or rear left or rear right. I go back to test and they all play the sounds perfect. WHAT IS GOING ON LOL?

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
post #9 of 18 Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

My 5.1 system just arrived and I have it hooked up to my pc with HDMI with one of the HDMI outs on my GTX Titan but when I switch into NVIDIA SSurround mode I loose my audio. Even though I can still see my 4th monitor with the AVR Fine. Its doing my head in

Also when not in surround the 5.1 works well in the testing but when I go to Youtube to test the 5.1 it only plays through the FL, FR, C. No sub or rear left or rear right. I go back to test and they all play the sounds perfect. WHAT IS GOING ON LOL?

1) Did you configure the Digital Audio in the Nvidia control panel? Did you try all the HDMI ports (except any on the motherboard)?

2) If you are certain the YouTube videos have discreet rear channels and you using Chrome, this might help:

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM

Liked: 11
I'm in a similar boat. I bought a Sound Blaster Z for the increased SQ and now I'm looking to upgrade my Receiver only to find out most receivers are dropping 5.1/7.1 Analog inputs. Switching to HDMI would negate the point of the sound card, correct?
post #11 of 18 Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder45 View Post

I'm in a similar boat. I bought a Sound Blaster Z for the increased SQ and now I'm looking to upgrade my Receiver only to find out most receivers are dropping 5.1/7.1 Analog inputs. Switching to HDMI would negate the point of the sound card, correct?

Correct. HDMI outputs a pure digital signal though, so the sound quality coming from the PC isn't going to get any better than that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12 of 18 Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM

i7 3930k & ASUS Asrock Extreme11 x79 Motherboard. - Has onboard 7.1 Sound core / sound blaster Recon3d.
3x ASUS VG248QE Monitors (Dual Link DVI IN)
3x GTX Titans (Dual Link DVI OUT to Monitors)(HDMI OUT to Receiver)
1x Cambridge Audio - 351R AV Receiver (IAVAILABLE - Optical IN - 4x HDMI IN - 2x Coax IN)

For the life of me I can not get a decent 5.1 signal to go to my AV Receiver either by Optical or through a HDMI out from my Titans.

HDMI

All HDMI ports are free except the top card is used for the HDMI audio to the receiver.

Ive tried every hdmi port and nothing the best is the top card.

So HDMI Works fine when I do not select [Span Displays with Surround] in NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

But as soon as I activate SPAN DISPLAYS I get nothing!

So when using activate all displays its fine and I get perfect defined channels for each speaker in my 5.1 system.

**** Would a 4th gpu like a GTX660 or GTX 760 be able to do the hdmi out to the reciever and also do my physics perhaps? Just an idea I had.

OPTICAL
Optical is still messed up. I pushed the surround modes button and the only symbols that showed up were DD and DTS. Also it didnt no have all the speakers properly displayed like when HDMI was in use.

Optical should work with bitstreaming but I cant find how to do it with windows 7 or my SB Recon3Di software. I have seen optical 5.1 with bitstreaming work with my own eyes / ears at the local HIFI shop but he couldnt help me with the PC side of it.

Ideally I would love HDMI to work because I think its easier and better quality when it works but why wont it work with my 3 monitors spanned!!!! mad.gif

Any help will be +REP I'm banging my head against the wall!!!

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
post #13 of 18 Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Because of my HDMI AUDIO 5.1 out issues with SLI Surround I'm thinking of getting a 4th card for physx and my audio out. I cant find any info to suggest it will work but I have to try something. I was trying to decide which card I should get. 640, 650, 660, 670, 760, 770. ???? I was thinking one of the small half size cards like the Galaxy GeForce GTX 650 2GB GC.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

I bought a Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce and made sure it had a HDMI port.

I slotted the GTX 660 into the last spare PCIe slot on my x79 Extreme11 motherboard. Just below the 3 titans in 3-way SLI.

For the moment I have the 660 set as dedicated Physx and my HDMI audio. I dont know how the Physx will go, but Im a very happy boy with the HDMI 5.1 audio now working PERFECT!!!

To test 5.1 is working for you.

Here is a link to a true 5.1 surround video test tool download page.

http://www.wooferbasstest.com/download/test-tool-ac3-dolby-digital-5-1ch-sound-test

Here is the direct download link for the test tool.

http://www.wooferbasstest.com/?dl=3
DaverJ likes this.

post #15 of 18 Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

I bought a Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce and made sure it had a HDMI port.

I slotted the GTX 660 into the last spare PCIe slot on my x79 Extreme11 motherboard. Just below the 3 titans in 3-way SLI.

For the moment I have the 660 set as dedicated Physx and my HDMI audio. I dont know how the Physx will go, but Im a very happy boy with the HDMI 5.1 audio now working PERFECT!!!

To test 5.1 is working for you.

Here is a link to a true 5.1 surround video test tool download page.

http://www.wooferbasstest.com/download/test-tool-ac3-dolby-digital-5-1ch-sound-test

Here is the direct download link for the test tool.

http://www.wooferbasstest.com/?dl=3

I'm just about to attempt this same type of setup and I'm wondering if you had to enable the receiver connected to the GTX 660 as another display in the Nvidia control panel, or if it allowed you to set it up as an audio only device. I ask because I already have an accessory display connected via display port to my 3 way SLI setup and I don't want another screen added to what I already have.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-10-2013, 04:00 AM

I ask because I already have an accessory display connected via display port to my 3 way SLI setup and I don't want another screen added to what I already have.

GBRzLi

post #17 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 AM

I had to have the picture as well. I couldn't get it to work otherwise. Ive changed my setup now and running 3x 290x gpus and a 4k monitor with the aux display for sound to the AVR.

post #18 of 18 Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Multi channel analog inputs on AVRs are useless. They don't have ADCs and thus do not support room correction or any of the AVR's equaliser functions. They are simply passed through to the amplifier stage. Room correction is absolutely vital. There is no way to use a PC sound card without buying something like a CPHD-3A to embed the multi channel analog audio into HDMI as LPCM, unless you are fine with your AVR becoming a dumb amplifier.
Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
Emotiva Upa 500 Five Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page