Introduction and noob HT gaming setup questions! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, hello everyone!

I'm not a big A/V buff but I am a huge gamer.

We just purchased a house that actually included a nice Home Theater setup, previous owner is leaving the projector, screen, and speakers, etc.

I do currently have an Onkyo receiver that, from what I can remember, has HDMI in and out.

My big questions is that I have tons of gaming consoles I'd like to connect, NES, SNES, N64, PS1,PS2,PS3, etc, etc, etc.

Is there any hardware that would make having all these consoles connected in a practical fashion?

I remember years back you had to have a VCR as a middleman between an old console and a newer TV, but I'd rather not have a VCR just for this purpose as it'll never get used and you had to chain all your systems together to kill the analog signal and make a wiring rats nest.

Thanks and looking forward to participating in the AVS community!

-Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Consoles (HDMI/Composite/Component IN) > Onkyo AVR > Display (HDMI OUT)

I'd however suggest not connecting something you'd barely ever use, just stuff that you like to actually play every once in a while.

Also to be honest I'm not familiar with Nintendo systems much so I'm not sure which output connections they use in-case there's no way to connect them to the AVR unless some sort of converter is used.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcoder View Post

First off, hello everyone!

I'm not a big A/V buff but I am a huge gamer.

We just purchased a house that actually included a nice Home Theater setup, previous owner is leaving the projector, screen, and speakers, etc.

I do currently have an Onkyo receiver that, from what I can remember, has HDMI in and out.

My big questions is that I have tons of gaming consoles I'd like to connect, NES, SNES, N64, PS1,PS2,PS3, etc, etc, etc.

Is there any hardware that would make having all these consoles connected in a practical fashion?

I remember years back you had to have a VCR as a middleman between an old console and a newer TV, but I'd rather not have a VCR just for this purpose as it'll never get used and you had to chain all your systems together to kill the analog signal and make a wiring rats nest.

Thanks and looking forward to participating in the AVS community!

-Jon

All you'll need is a receiver that can convert other connection types into HDMI....most midrange receivers and up will do it. NES uses composite only, SNES/N64/PS1 can use composite or s-video. GameCube/PS2 can use those, as well as component. PS3 will support HDMI.

You're basically limited by the number of inputs you have in the receiver, and what kind of cables you have or are willing to buy....but it's all totally doable without much hassle. Generally try to use the highest quality connection you can....best is component, then s-video, then composite if you have no other choice.

Then all you'll need is a single HDMI cable from your receiver to your projector....as long as the receiver supports the conversion, you'll be good to go.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice and tips.

After doing some research I think I've came to the same setup as you've mentioned.

But is there a device, like an A/B box for multiple coaxial connections, like connecting a Sega Genesis and an NES?

I know I can chain them together, just wasn't sure if there was a more modern way to solve the issue.

Thanks again all!
Jon
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcoder View Post

Thanks for the advice and tips.

After doing some research I think I've came to the same setup as you've mentioned.

But is there a device, like an A/B box for multiple coaxial connections, like connecting a Sega Genesis and an NES?

I know I can chain them together, just wasn't sure if there was a more modern way to solve the issue.

Thanks again all!
Jon

The more modern solution would be not using coaxial at all. smile.gif

I'm sure the NES has standard RCA ports on the side, and while I think the genesis needs a special cable, your money and time is better spent on finding that cable than trying to deal with coaxial. If you're out of RCA ports on your receiver, RCA splitters are dirt cheap and easily available.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page