Help with "color space" and "color depth" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Up till now I always ran HDMI "non standard" on my Panasonic TC-P60ST30 with all my consoles set to "Expanded" but as I was setting up my Xbox One I noticed all it did was brighten up the picture and wash out the blacks. Now after messing with it seems The best looking to my eyes is when both are on limited. Here is some screen shots of my settings

The top two pictures are from my Panasonic TC-P60ST30 and the bottom is from my Onkyo 605. My main question here is on color space, if you look on my Onkyo 605 it has an option xvYCC, does that relate to the color space option on my TV? How does the Xbox Ones color depth setting fit into this? I'm trying to figure out why expanded looks worse to me then limited (standard vs non standard). Is my color depth options wrong? Here is a pic of my settings on the Xbox One and PS4, note on Xbox how it has the color depth option that I have set to 36bit per pixel. PS4 has HDMI and color settings, also not sure about the PS4s color setting.

Just trying to get the best picture quality out of my stuff. would be grateful if someone could shine some light on this for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Most TVs expect "standard"/"limited", which is the "16-235" video levels. If set to "expanded", your sending "0-255" PC levels. PC levels usually work better on monitors. If you are hooking it up to a TV, I recommend sending it video levels, 16-235. If not, make sure everything is set to the same levels. Otherwise, if things don't match up, you will either get washed out blacks, or crushed blacks.

Color Space,

Here's some good info: LINK
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm just confused why stuff gets washed out of when both are set to expanded
post #4 of 5 Old 12-08-2013, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i see,I'm just confused why stuff gets washed out of when both are set to expanded

ec5F

post #5 of 5 Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Ive been going back and forth as well.  I have a Sammy 8500 plasma.  Expanded is definitley washed out,  I was turning my brightness down to below 30 and still couldnt get the calibration tool the way it asks.

So yeah, Im going with HDMI LOW,  Xbone set to TV,  game mode on, and all the processing stuff turned off.

Looks good,  still think my brightness is too high (55) but thats the what it sets at when I follow directions on Calibration tool on Xbone.

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page