Projector vs PS4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I need some help on choosing the best gaming option for another year. I'm on a budget (will be unemployed for maybe about a year again) and I'm trying to decide between purchasing a benq w1080st projector or a PS4. Let me just make it known that I'm a hardcore gamer (snes days) and also into movies. I currently game on a i7 with a gt540 so i'm able to run current-gen games fairly well at 720p. Also I've own an old viewsonic svga projector before which I use to game on from time to time and will admit is a very immersive and pleasant experience overall. Except for that it is a bit pixelated (svga), colours and blacks aren't all that good, not so great daylight performance & no 3D... hence my choice to upgrade to the w1080st. My problem is that if I go with the projector I know its gonna be immersive and detailed gaming with 1080p movies to top it off, but i'll be limited to current-gen levels of course (not that there aren't good games out and still coming). On the other hand if I go with the PS4 I can afford to buy and rent a few games well. I should also note that aside from the svga projector I have a 24" Monitor & 37" TV (both are 1080p) to toggle back and forth if I go with the PS4. So what do you guys think... clean crisp "larger than life" Image on current-gen gaming (3D) & movies or Next-gen gaming with 37" TV in 1080p? (Don't think that I would want to game with the PS4 on that pixelated viewsonic)

P.S.- Don't forget this might be just for about another year, so if I go with the projector now I will evidently still buy the PS4 in about a year or two from now and vice versa.       

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'd go with the Projector now. In November/December I bought both a PS4 and a projector and I use my Projector every day but my PS4 is a $400 Netflix machine with occasional gaming thrown in. There's really not much out there for exclusive games. Infamous is pretty cool, Killzone is ok. Everything else I've played is multiplatform and available for PC. By the time you get a Ps4 in a year, the games should start flowing.

That's my two cents.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing. One of my gamer buddies don't agree with the projector thing... but I don't think he ever saw a full HD projector in action (neither have I but I have high expectations). So far i'm leaning towards the projector but I just hope my system can run Arkham Knight when it comes out later this year :rolleyes: (I realize it's not coming on current-gen systems)... thanks much.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Gaming in 1080p on a good projector is sublime. Trust me on this. We'll worth it. Try to swing a GPU upgrade to like a GT750 or an 270x, both should be around $150 and be a huge upgrade over the gt540
post #5 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I totally agree with you... but I guess I failed to mention that I am running laptop graphics :o. So I may have to hold out on some of those games until next year.  

post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Gaming on a PJ is wonderful. But, for some reason I hardly use mine anymore. It's like the fad wore off. I also got a good TV now and that's where I game 99% of the time. You got nothing else to game on? no other TV?

PS4 is nice but hardly anything out for it yet.

Hmmmm, can't say I could choose. I know when I went off on sick leave for extended time the only thing that kept me sane was my consoles/PC. Something to do during the day when everyone else is gone. That's something else to consider. If your going to be home all day, you don't want to be using a PJ during the day time unless you got one pitch dark room.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

What kind of projector do you have? I already went with the projector... but I got the Benq w1080st. I have got to say that it is pretty amazing! I can not see myself getting tired of it... as a matter of fact I kinda got addicted to it.. haven't gamed on my TV since I got it. The thing is the picture quality, colours and viewing angles on this thing is awesome! (better than my TV), it's just like having a 100" HD 3D TV in my living room! Playing on my 37" TV after this is like playing on a laptop screen and playing on my laptop screen in like playing on a game boy now :p. Also not to mention the 3D quality... very immersive just like cinema. I actually have a long-ish living room and the wall I project on to is far from the light so I can use it during the day too. Only problems I have is that I want to get a projector screen with good gain so I can get even better blacks with the lights on & I am a bit unsure if I should purchase tridef 3D because I don't know if my system can run the current games smoothly in 3D.   

post #8 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Maybe you should wait instead of spending money. You're gonna be unemployed for a year, you think now is the time to make a luxury purchase?
post #9 of 10 Old 06-05-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well I already bought it, but its ok I am not that badly off I still have $ to last me until. I just wanted to treat myself to something nice & the projector was my choice because I like games and movies more than anything else and spend most of my time on these... so why not max out my experience in this department.All in all I'm happy with the purchase 

post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'd go with the Projector now as well...
Reply Home Theater Gaming
Gear in this thread - w1080st by PriceGrabber.com