A little help with which baseball game to choose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-13-2003, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This question is about statistics. I really want WSB for the xbox since it supports 720P. But the more important thing for me choosing a game is is there a game where at the halfway point of the season and even the end of the season the statistics are somewhat true to life. I'm saying players not batting .823 with 137 homeruns. And where you won't score 20 runs a game. I want it lifelike as possible. I havnen't bought a baseball game for years for this reason. If any of you remember the old Tony Larussa baseball then you know that was the best stat game ever. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-13-2003, 02:41 PM

Liked: 10
There is no perfect game this year.

High heat is pure crap in my opinion. 3DO seems to have gotten really lazy in the last 2 years or so.

All-Star is supposed to be very good, but with lots of gameplay problems. I cannot say for sure as I have not played it.

MVP is a great game BUT is very arcadey still. Stats are close to realistic, but maybe error on the lower side of things. Definately a new thing for an EA game. The pitching/batting interface is really amazing as is the throwing indicator. I think they will all steal this feature next year. The problem is that it is next to impossible to K the batters, therefore resulting in lower than avg Ks for pitchers YOU are playing with.

WSB has problems with injury bugs and that damn cursor batting. They too have a timing mode(like MVP) which I play in, but I have yet to hit a homer with it in 2 games. Although I am the Tigers, so take that for what its worth. If you care about stats and accuracy, this is the best game. It tracks FRANCHISE and CAREER stats and you can break the all time records and season records. No big hoopla is made other than a mention in the NEWS though.

For pure stat accuracy, I siimed 1/2 a season in ASB, WSB and MVP. ASB had inflated HR/RBI(36HR for Bonds w/ 74RBI) numbers while MVP/WSB were accurate at 27 for the top 2 people(Bonds(53RBI) and ARod(55RBI)). This may just be a one time occurence though as I have not run multiple "tests."

Best bet is to rent them before you purchase.

Good Luck and let us know which you picked.
Greg.

Gregd33.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-13-2003, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks Greg

post #4 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's sad to hear that High Heat has gone downhill.It was always my favourite for the pc.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Btw,do any of these games not have a batting cursor?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn O
Btw,do any of these games not have a batting cursor?
I can only speak for WSB 2K3 and MVP first hand...

WSB has both a cursor batting choice, as well as a cursorless-timing mode. It is not easy either. Especially against the better pitchers. Randy Johnson for example will smoke a fastball by you at 97mph and then follow that up with a slow curve or changeup at 75 or so. VERY hard to hit.

MVP has only one mode and that is the cursorless timing mode. Added to their mode is the fact that you can move the thumbstick and pushing up will hit a fly ball, down grounder, and left/right will TRY and hit it in that direction. Keeping in mind that if the ball is outside, you will NOT be able to pull it, etc.

Both games have their pluses and minuses, but I think I will be playing WSB alot more as it is near impossible to have realistic results with MVP cuz the hitting is all timing. Rarely will you walk, or strike out the CPU.

Gregd33.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-16-2003, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't go wrong with either WSB or MVP. Both are great games and offer different things. Both can be setup to give you realistic results. So can High Heat, but the only thing it offers over WSB and MVP is 16:9 support (WSB is 16:9 only at 720p, not at 480p.)
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page