Gamecube + component cable = slight dissapointment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received the component cable yesterday for my (err...uhhh..my kids') Gamecube and tried it out with a few games (Beach Spikers, Metroid, and Super Mario Sunshine). While the colors were definitely better, I was a little disappointed in the amount of aliasing (jaggies) that were in the picture.

Is this expected, even when running games in progressive mode? I went back to the S-video connection and the aliasing was there as well, so it isn't a new problem. This is my first console upgrade since a PS1, so I'm not as up on the current state of video game technology and the kind of picture I should expect.

I did confirm that I was actually running in progressive mode (held down 'B' button, selected progressive). At this point, I plan on keeping the cable. I just wasn't as "wowed" as I thought I would be.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:30 AM

One Word~~> XBOX!!

~Got HDTV~
post #3 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:38 AM

Hey jonnyb,
Sorry to hear you're not too impressed with the component video of the GC. I personally love it. I had played Metroid in composite for a while, but once I got those component cables hooked up....WOW! It just looked super sharp and the colors just looked so rich. Right now I'm playing Zelda in progressive scan and it just amazes me. I don't really notice any jaggies in the games(at least not as much as I notice them on the PS2). In any event, I think once you've had the cables longer and play some more games on it you'll learn to appreciate it. Enjoy!
post #4 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh...

I almost put a disclaimer at the end of my post to try and keep the console wars out of this thread.

I'm sure the Xbox is an excellent platform. I spent a lot of time evaluating which console would be best for my young kids AND have some games that I could play as well. The Gamecube was the best choice for my situation. (In case there are PS2 owners reading this too, I'm sure the PS2 is great as well).

Back to the original question...
post #5 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:41 AM

SUKINON
are you getting some kind of kick back from M$ for every XBOX you sell? I've never seen someone so persistant in promoting a game console. Good luck to ya though...hope you're getting some phat cash from M$.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:44 AM

Thats Cool Jonny, I was just saying that since I assumed you had HDTV. & you would get the best possible picture with the box.
& exspecially for kids, Good choice!! I got my kids a gamecube also...

Ohhh Yea.. Paid In Full...
Well Since it is the #1 System, Why not promote it!!
Why buy an Older out of date system? *Sure it can keep up, But it will never pass the box, & It's Only getting Better!!

Also Why do care What I Do?!? Or what I promote?!?
If you don't like the Truth, Jus don't read my post!
Thank you

~Got HDTV~
post #7 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

dschroll,

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify that I'm not disappointed in the Gamecube purchase. The games I've played so far have been great. I just didn't see the huge improvement over S-Video (other than color) that I thought I would.

I'll admit that I didn't do a lot of playing yet with the new cables. I just checked it quickly and was giving my first impressions.

Thanks again...
post #8 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Sukinon,

No problem. If I could justify the purchase (i.e. actually having time to play games), I would probably pick up an Xbox as well. Maybe later when my kids are older.

I am a gadget freak and it was a little painful for me to get a system that couldn't do "true" HDTV. I am, however, happy with the purchase.

Jonnyb
post #9 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 08:55 AM

hey jonnyb,
I understand where you're coming from.....I never played on my Cube with S-video so the picture improvement from composite to component was amazing to me......but, going from S-video to component isn't as big of a jump.

Just keep playing with the cables a bit more and I'm sure you'll start to notice subtle details in some games that may not have noticed before. Hope you enjoy your GC, it's a very good console with lots of great games out at the moment and tons more on the way. I highly recommend picking up the new Zelda game.....it's probably a little too difficult for your kids to play, but I guarantee your kids will love to watch you play.....the whole game looks like a giant cartoon. But, don't let that fool you, it's a very good game and is just loads of fun to play. I'd be happy to recommend other games to you if you're interested in playing some older adult oriented games or I could recommend some games that you and your kids would enjoy. Please feel free to ask. Take care!
post #10 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

jonnyb,

What sort of TV are you using there?

Kensai
post #11 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

My TV is a Toshiba 34HDX82 (direct view).
post #12 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 AM

As a person that has component cables for both the Xbox and the Gamecube I feel that I can state the following.

Both systems have games that don't look all that great in 480P on my projector.

NHL2k3 (Xbox) for example looked better in my opinion when I was using S-video on my 32" TV. When I play it now on my HS-10 via progressive scan, there are jaggies galore.

Zelda looks great to me via 480P on my projector, but I haven't played it via S-video to see if there are more or less jaggies on the screen.

I think both systems will have their share of games that don't look great via 480P, but that's just my thought.

Glen
post #13 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

All current generation consoles render and output a signal of about 640 x 480 pixels of resolution (with some exceptions for the XBox). If you put a game on your PC and set the screen resolution to 640 x 480, you would definitely see the jaggies. Same thing for the GameCube. Anti-aliasing helps, but is not the answer to everything and most games don't use it very much because it really taxes the system, thereby reducing the frame rate.
When you have a good display and a good signal, you see everything more clearly, including the pixels. Combined that with the fact that you may have some digital signal processing going on in your TV, and the pixels are unavoidable. Your best bet is to try the different connections and settings and see which you prefer. Personally, I'd rather live with the jaggies and run things in 480p and beautiful colours...but everyone is different.

And I know that SUKINON is dying to jump in and promote the 720p and 1080i aspects of the newer XBox games, and he's right. However, these modes will also tax the "infinite power" of the XBox as well, and games will begin to suffer in their framerates. Anyone remember Perfect Dark for the N64 and its one-frame-per-second 640x480 mode? Well, expect more of that to happen of 720p becomes the norm.

Shawn
post #14 of 19 Old 04-04-2003, 11:03 AM

well one thing i found that helps make the picture look a lot cleaner is down the sharpness and if you have DNR = digitanl noise reduction turn that all the way up so it clears up your picture. it can really take away some of the artifacting.. but over all the component cable produces much more vibrant and crisp colors over even svideo. you probably just don't notice it that much, but it's definitely there.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-05-2003, 07:07 PM

You get just as many jaggies in X-box games as you do Gamecube in progressive scan. Take a good look at Panzer Dragoon Orta or Extreme beach vollyball. Those curves have some major jaggies.

I have both systems. Both have jaggies.

-Me
post #16 of 19 Old 04-07-2003, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnPeters

And I know that SUKINON is dying to jump in and promote the 720p and 1080i aspects of the newer XBox games, and he's right.
Shawn
LOL @ Shawn! Hey.. When your Rite your Rite!!

Ohhh Yea... There not gonna make alot of games 1080i, Just because of the Framerate,(it will be slower) While 720p will be alot Faster/Smoother & have a better framerate!

Also did you guys see the Toshiba HDTV, With 1080p... WHOA!!
Picture Games Then!!! ;)

~Got HDTV~
post #17 of 19 Old 04-07-2003, 07:56 AM

I was going to ask this in a separate thread, but the component output for the Gamecube works for 480i as well, right?
post #18 of 19 Old 04-07-2003, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

It does work for 480i as well.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There not gonna make alot of games 1080i, Just because of the Framerate,(it will be slower) While 720p will be alot Faster/Smoother & have a better framerate!
SUKINON,
As far as I know, the real pixel resolutions are as follows:

480p -> 640x480 = 307,200 pixels
720p -> 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels
1080i -> 1920x540 = 1,036,800 pixels

What am I getting at? From 720p to 1080i, there's not a huge difference in the number of pixels to be rendered every frame, since you can get away with rendering only half the vertical resolution in 1080i every frame.

However, going from 480p to 720p triples the number of pixels to be rendered. This can cause some serious performance issues when you add effects that require multiple rendering passes, and stuff like full-scene anti-aliasing. If this wasn't an issue, game developers would have supported this mode from the start.

We'll have to see what the developers come up with. But I have a sad feeling that they won't be pushing 720p with our beloved Halo 2. If they do, I'm afraid it's going to chug-chug-chug....

Shawn
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page