Closed Thread

post #1 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/399/399945p1.html

Looks like there may be a price drop in the works. Man, I hope I don't end up justifying the gamecube on top of my PC, Xbox and PS2.

reaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 10:35 AM

Liked: 10
ehehehehe......go for it reaper.......in fact, Metroid Prime is selling brand new at Blockbuster for $20. So, buy the cube and get Zelda with it and then pick up Metroid Prime on top of tha for $20. That'll be a sweet deal and you'll have 2 of the best games out for any console to date.
post #3 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 11:29 AM

Liked: 11
All of the consoles should drop by $50.00 come E3 (Middle of May).

In effect, the GameCube is already selling at $99, if you consider the fact that you get a free game with your purchase. Zelda (early May), Mario Party 4, Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures on Dinosaur Planet, and Resident Evil Zero are the options if I am not mistaken...

Helps to make the GameCube a great value...Throw in a Wavebird and you are in heaven!!!

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #4 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 11:43 AM

If you buy a Gamecube now from Best Buy or Circuit City and get the free game, save your receipt and when the price drops happen in a couple weeks bring your receipt back and they'll refund you the 110% of the difference or $55. So, you'll get the free game and still take advantage of the price drop.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As an XBOX junkie, I have to admit this is well worth the $. I'm tired of waiting for new XBOX games & my cube has been holding me over just fine. Metroid Prime is the reason I bought mine & I am contemplating a couple more while waiting for a decent Live title for the Xbox.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I have a buddy that manages an EB and he says the price drop is coming very soon - less than 30 days [ they have the info now ] .
the xbox & ps2 will be $149.95 and the GC will be $99.95 [ he says these are confirmed prices ] .
-- Jason Berg

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't see much benefit in buying a system now vs waiting till the price drop. It would be nice to play some of the mario, zelda and metroid games. What's the general opinion on the FPS perspective on Metroid? Does it seem at all reminiscent of the old versions of the game? I just beat the SNES version last year and had great fun with the old side scroller play.

Other than 1st party titles, anything else worth honorable mention?

Man, now look... Ijust got my xbox and here I am talking about getting a 3rd console! Must resist temptation.

reaper
post #8 of 34 Old 04-29-2003, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

this should mean used Xbox & PS2 for $99.95 and used GC for about $50-60.00 :) .
--- Jason Berg

post #9 of 34 Old 04-30-2003, 07:46 AM

Hey Reaper,
The only reason I mentioned maybe getting the Gamecube now vs waiting was that Nintendo may not be giving away the free game once they drop the price of the Cube down to $99. So, if I were in your position, I would go to a store like Circuit City or Best Buy and pick up the Cube with a free copy of Zelda. Then I would head over to Blockbuster and pick up Metroid Prime(brand new) for $20. In a couple weeks when Nintendo announces the price drop you can take your receipt back to Circuit City or Best Buy and get them to price match the new $99 price, refunding you back $50. Those stores have a 30 day price match policy, so if you buy something from them and it goes on sale cheaper somewhere else or there within 30 days of purchasing it, they'll give you back the difference. In any event, then you get the Cube and Zelda for $99 and Metroid Prime for $20. So you've got a brand new system and a couple of great games for it for $120 after all is said and done. However, I'll understand if you want to wait as Nintendo may still include the free game in the $99 deal. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

As far as Metroid Prime in first person mode, I was really skeptical at first, but after playing it I have to say it is one of the best games I have played in a long while. The game was just so much fun to play and was very addicting. It's one of those games that made me anxious to get home from work so I could play some more and see what was coming next, which is a rare occurence for me. In fact, I was so hooked on Metroid Prime that after completing it I went back and looked for all the different items so I could beat it again with the best ending(yes, there are slightly different endings, nothing big though).

As far as other cube games go I think Eternal Darkness and Rogue Leader are 2 of the best games it offers and both game can be bought for $20 each. There are tons of first party games I would recommend, but you're probably already aware of a good bunch of them.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. With these price drops it is making me more tempted to get an XBOX, but I still wanna wait til there are more games out for it that I want. Although, if they change their bundle a bit and maybe include a game in it that I want, I may be forced to dive in early and get one. I've heard rumors that they plan on changing the pack in games in the bundle, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-30-2003, 04:11 PM

[quote]Originally posted by reaper
[b]I don't see much benefit in buying a system now vs waiting till the price drop. It would be nice to play some of the mario, zelda and metroid games. What's the general opinion on the FPS perspective on Metroid? Does it seem at all reminiscent of the old versions of the game? I just beat the SNES version last year and had great fun with the old side scroller play.

Other than 1st party titles, anything else worth honorable mention?

Man, now look... Ijust got my xbox and here I am talking about getting a 3rd console! Must resist temptation.

reaper
-

I really consider GameCube to be worth the $150, especially with a free game (as the above stated, get Zelda).

As far as Metroid's concerned, I'd recommend you pick it up as soon as possible. :cool: I've been a fan since the original, and the newest may be the best Metroid yet-as hard as that is to believe. The first person perspective HELPS rather than hurts the gameplay. It's an incredible achievement in every way-aethetics, gameplay, funfactor, astmosphere, and trust me, my expectations were sky-high going in.

First party titles? Definitely get the Resident Evil remake (NOT Zero). You should be able to get it for $20 new, and it's very solid. Also consider Rogue Squadron (if you like pure shooters), and Eternal Darkness if you can find it for a good price.
post #11 of 34 Old 05-01-2003, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Also consider Rogue Squadron (if you like pure shooters), and Eternal Darkness if you can find it for a good price.
Gamestop.com has Eternal Darkness for $12.99 pre-owned and $14.99 new. They run X% off preowned games every few days, so you might want to wait for the next sale. Rogue Squadron preowned is fairly cheap too, $17.99.
post #12 of 34 Old 05-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Reaper, you should just buy a cube now. you'll love it, your wife will love it and your infant son will treasure it! take the plunge!
sell your ps2 to commission it's purchase...DO IT NOW!
;)
post #13 of 34 Old 05-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Seriously though, you being an old school gamer you owe it to yourself and your child to get a cube especially at the prices projected. 1st party may be the only reason to get one, but I think it's reason enough. It's not like xbox's "exclusive" content which usually means it won't appear on another console for a certain amount of time, Mario isn't going to be on ps2 anytime soon. despite it not having digital audio outputs it has great sound quality which really shines in 5 channel stereo on the AVR3802 somehow. surrounds in animal crossing are great and the bass is incredible. no true surround, but it does a good job with what it has. Games are usually quick to become discounted too so it should be a cheap system to play on. If I were you my only problem would be whether or not I should wait for the price drop or do as others have said and try to use the price-match deal at best buy. Chances are they'll drop the free game deal in which case you might as well take the plunge now.
post #14 of 34 Old 05-09-2003, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

well, I've decided I'm definitely not purchasing anything until the price drop occurs. Has anyone heard any updated info on a date this might be announced?

reaper
post #15 of 34 Old 05-12-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
I have a buddy that manages an EB and he says the price drop is coming very soon - less than 30 days [ they have the info now ] .
the xbox & ps2 will be $149.95 and the GC will be $99.95 [ he says these are confirmed prices ] .
-- Jason Berg
Nice try. :)
Not sure which part of the planet your friend works, but there will NOT be a price drop for another couple of months. My brother works for M$ XBOX division.
post #16 of 34 Old 05-12-2003, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No price drop, this is just E3 hype which will pass. Expect a drop in price in the fall.

What does Sony or Nintendo have to gain from a drop in price? The consoles are already pretty damn cheap as it is. MS would just lose even more money on each one.

This would just not make any sense at this point in time.
post #17 of 34 Old 05-12-2003, 06:44 PM

I disagree. I think there will be a price drop in the coming weeks. This time of year is a pretty dismal one for videogame companies. Not too many people are buying consoles. This is the perfect time for the price to drop in order to spur sales. If you recall, the prices for the consoles dropped last year at this time as well for the same reason. I guess we'll soon find out one way or the other in the coming weeks.
post #18 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 07:18 AM

I'm willing to bet anyone $1000 that there will be a price drop before the end of the month of May. This has been confirmed my numerous employees at different retail stores. They have already received their new advertising material for the new lower prices.

Officials and spokespeople for the companies are going to deny a price drop until it actually happens. This is because they don't want the public to not buy systems for the few weeks before a price drop. But trust me, there will be a price drop. Soon.
post #19 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think the companies can afford to lose money on the consoles because they make licensing fees on every game that is sold. If MS loses $50/console but makes $10 or so for licensing fees per game sold, then they are winners assuming any gamer will buy more than 5 games during the lifecycle of the Xbox. It makes sense to me.

I would agree that there will likely be a price drop. IGn has said it and I spoke with a guy at Toy R Us the other day that confirmed it also. He said he didn't think the Cube was going to drop a full $50 though. His opinion was that they'd take the game out of the bundle and make it $129 or so. Overall, that's a worse deal for the gamer who still has to buy a $50 game making his final price $180. But, we'll just have to see what really happens. He further told me that the PS3 is supposed to come out in December of 2004. I think that info is a bit premature.

reaper
post #20 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 09:44 AM

Hey reaper,
Just to clarify, the XBOX actually loses more along the lines of $100-$150 per console sold. So, M$ probably doens't want to reduce the price of their console anymore, but chances are they will since Sony will more than likely reduce theirs.

Also, I think the GC will sell for $99, but that's just me. Nintendo knows they have to lower their price just as much to stay competetive.

As far as the PS3 rumor, yeah, it's just a rumor. Sony would be stupid to release a PS3 so soon since they're doing so well with the PS2. They definitely have the lead in the industry and are making tons of cash off of all the game sales, so they're not going to feel any rush into getting out the PS3. It'll probably hit the market in late 2005 to early 2006.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
news.com

"Equally noteworthy were several announcements Microsoft failed to make. Despite widespread speculation, the company offered no price cut on the Xbox hardware and didn't show the slimmed-down version of the console many had expected. "
post #22 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Well, MS better worry more about how to stop the hemorraging from their money losing Xbox than a price drop. They won't sell enough consoles to make up for it.

Now, we all know they'll stick it out, and it will be interesting to see how they approach the next round of consoles from a design standpoint. Keeping the console as a loss leader will not work forever.

-Phil

post #23 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, almostinsane, looks like you were right... for the xbox at least. That probably decreases the chances we'll see a drop on the cube too. Oh well... wishful thinking. Maybe we'll still be pleasantly surprised... with the cube or ps2 prices.

reaper
post #24 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 11:51 AM

Of course M$ isn't going to drop the price of the XBOX....they're already losing a TON of money per console sold. And Nintendo also said that they're not planning to unless everyone else does. It'll pretty much come down to Sony. I do think Sony will drop their price(even though they state that they won't). They just moved a lot of the PS2 production to China and have developed a way to get several of the parts onto one chip, essentially making the PS2 cheaper to make. I'm willing to bet Sony will be announcing a price drop to $150 and M$ will follow suit dropping XBOX to $150 and Nintendo shortly after will drop down to $99. We'll soon see, but I'm pretty sure this will happen.
post #25 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Tramahound just confirmed a PS2 price drop to $179. :)
post #26 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

gamestop.com is already advertising the new ps2 pricing.
post #27 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 03:31 PM

I'm v.v. bummed, I was actually waiting for E3 because of the new form factor version of the XBOX, the XBOX Lite--but it sounds from the news.com article that the slimmer, less ugly version is not in the offing soon. Any insiders have any scoop on whether MS has truly said all its going to say at E3 already? Any ideas on what happened to the XBOX Lite?

post #28 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

-- I love how people get defensive about the price drops [ as if they are Bill G. ] . I really don't care if they happen now or not , we all know it will happen soon . By the way just because 1 company does not intend to drop the price does not mean that the others are not going to [ if Sony drops then M$ will be forced to follow ... this should be obvious ] .

post #29 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

i would look to the gamecube to drop the price first.
with lack luster sales, and including your selection of a free game including zelda the windwaker and metroid among others, if they dropped to $99 you couldnt stop me from buying one.
post #30 of 34 Old 05-13-2003, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PS2 has just been dropped to $179.95 in the USA [ this is before the new model is released next month which will have a built in modem/BB adapter and be able to play home made DVD's ] .
UPDATE : Xbox price just dropped to $179.95 as well :) [ not the $149.95 price that was mentioned to me but hey it's a start ] .
LOOK HERE : http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/shops...xb/default.asp
-- Jason

Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page