Best bet for a gaming console - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By brutus51

post #1 of 16 Old 03-05-2017, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Best bet for a gaming console

Thinking of getting back into it as I need something to keep the grand kids busy.
Went to check out the new Nintendo switch but they are all sold out.
While browsing I was impressed with the picture on the PS4 pro, a bit pricy but would make good use of my 4K TV. Primarily interested in kids games like Mario don't want any blood & guts games. What would be the best choice for my needs? PlayStation Xbox or Nintendo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The Xbox One S includes a 4K UHD Blu-ray player, the Playstation does not. Both have 4K streaming.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-05-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus51 View Post
Thinking of getting back into it as I need something to keep the grand kids busy.
While browsing I was impressed with the picture on the PS4 pro, a bit pricy but would make good use of my 4K TV. Primarily interested in kids games like Mario don't want any blood & guts games. What would be the best choice for my needs? PlayStation Xbox or Nintendo?
Wait for the Switch or pick up a Nintendo WIIU Mario is a Nintendo exclusive, and i will say Nintendo is a more kid friendly platform as far as games for younger kids.

Honestly, go to Gamestop if there's one in your area and pickup a used WIIU, probably be $120 with a few games. If they are alder than 11, the Switch might be better option since they are up on whats hot at that age, you dont want the grandkids to think you don't love them, right lol

post #4 of 16 Old 03-05-2017, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Nintendo rules 2-4 player local couch co-op. I've used my Wii U 1000x more than my Xbox One. When I want a higher end game, I play on PC. But of course PS4 Pro is a good choice too. However for younger kids, you can't go wrong with Nintendo. Even for adults, we have had tons of fun playing FIVE players at the same time on Mario (one to spawn jump points and such with the main controller).

There are barely any titles for the Switch yet, but that'll change. I would also consider buying a used Wii U with a whole bunch of games and controllers on Craigslist or Ebay + the new Zelda, of course.

I'm buying the new Zelda for Wii U just to rip it and play it via emulator (once it works). I really want the highest graphics potential, and the Switch apparently isn't that much better graphics-wise than the Wii U. It does Zelda at 900p instead of 720p, but it's still at 30 fps which is unacceptable to me.

Hence using an emulator. I played Mario Kart 8 at 4K60 and it's insanely sharp and fluid. I'm just glad the new Zelda is out on Wii U, mostly to play it the way it's meant to be played: On a PC

I should also recommend this: Buy a projector for gaming. It's super awesome. Especially with 4 player split screen titles, on my 138 inch wall-sized projected image, each player's quadrant of the screen is literally bigger than most people's main TV. And that matters a bunch. But for games like Mario where everyone shares the same screen, it's a total blast. Why do kids always tend to go right up to the TV to play games? To see it better, and be more immersed in it. They are natural video enthusiasts. What's better than a HUGE screen to play on?

And I'd recommend a DLP for gaming, it's got super smooth / fluid motion. Make sure if you do go this route you consider noise and input lag too, both are considered deal-breakers. My only complaint about my w1070, apart from the meh contrast, is the noise.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 03-05-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-05-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Thanks for the feedback, grandma and I went out scouting the different models today and while I was very impressed with the playstation graphics I can't say so much for the available games.
Plus the fact multiplayer games are limited. We get the grandkids for a week next Saturday while mom & pop go on a second honeymoon, so getting some thing that will keep them happy
while they visit with us is important, not to forget the "cool factor for grandma & grandpa". . As a result after reviewing the available games we decided to go with the Nintendo switch and bought Zelda and Bomberman for games, (sure wish Mario was available).
Got it all setup and tried out Zelda this afternoon and everything works just fine, except me
can't figure out all the buttons. Not a whole lot of info available on how the thing works and I was hoping too have something of a working knowledge of the thing when the grandkids get here, (once again the grandpa is cool factor) I'm sure when they get here they will know all about which buttons to push, but old grandpa sure would like to be less ignorant.
RLBURNSIDE and mack1951 like this.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Get the Nintendo "Wii u or switch both are great fun"if you ever want to play WITH your grandkids. The ps4 pro is AWSOME but completely useless at playing with friends in the same room
post #7 of 16 Old 04-10-2017, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Good choice on the Switch, I think, and hopefully it will get more games compared to the Wii U. I bought the Wii U because it was the first and only way to play Mario at 1080p. The Wii was just too low-res for watching on my projector. Of course now I'm playing my legally-purchased Zelda copy on my PC too, via Cemu.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Like said above, Playstation messed up when they didn't do a full 4k player. Xbox is the best all around system at the moment. I prefer and own a Playstation, but the 4k features on Xbox are better.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-27-2017, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wii game contents are more suitable for kids, PS4 game contents are more suitable for teenager and adult.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-28-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Father of a 6 year old son here!

I have a 6 year old son... I have both a playstation 4 (for me) and bought my 6 year old a Nintendo Wii U. He loves it and plays games like Super Smash brothers.. which is a fighting game but directed more towards kids without being overly violent and gorey... I would go with a Nintendo. You don't even need a Switch ... depending on how old your grand kids are.. my son is 6 and he doesnt know that a Nintendo Wii U isnt the newest console!
post #11 of 16 Old 05-01-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Normally I wouldn't recommend Microsoft consoles, but since it's for your grand kids you should go with them (unless they live at your home or spend summers there, might be better to ask what they prefer)

Generally you would compare consoles by the games exclusively available for them. And Microsoft is notorious for having a very slim "exclusive" list of software that can only be played on the console. But Microsoft is also always known for having the best cross party platform releases, because the hardware and dev tools they use combine to make better video games all things being equal.

So if your grand sons just play madden or a hockey game, XBOX is king, no questions asked go xbox

If they are a bit older and really love video games, Sony is generally the best for a video game nerd with some perspective. If I had to buy one I would choose the PlayStation because it has all the good exclusive games you can't get anywhere else. I can play everything XBOX has to offer on my computer. Almost all the excellent Japanese video games that aren't made by Nintendo come out on the PS3

The Switch has very few games out for it right now but will probably be the best console for your grand kids sitting down together and playing anything but a sports game. Most video games are marketed at little boys, nintendo is much better about making their titles appeal to both genders of children. Your grand daughters will probably get more use out of a switch
post #12 of 16 Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you can track down a Wii U it's great for the kids. Cheaper than a Switch (and you can actually get one) and a bunch of games already exist. The Switch only has like 5 games available at the moment, and waiting for new games is going to be a slow trickle at best.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-01-2017, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Have you looked into creating a super computer and somehow magically figuring out a way to have that super computer emulate all the gaming consoles on one system?
post #14 of 16 Old 06-12-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Super computerrrrrrr!
post #15 of 16 Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 AM

I say go with a 3DS handheld and not worry about a console. Young kids love handhelds and the 3DS not only play it's own library but the original DS games too. That is tons of Mario, Sonic, and Zelda to keep them busy.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus51 View Post
Xbox X or Nentendo for no blood...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page