• 1 Post By ramsey415

post #1 of 26 Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
OLED Burn-In with games?

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of buying an LG OLED B6 but I want to know if you guys have had any problems with burn-in from playing games for several hours (Anywhere from 5 hours to 15 hours). I was thinking of playing Destiny and Final Fantasy XIV and they're both MMO games with static HUDs and you usually play these games for several hours. So I'm a bit afraid that if I for example play Final Fantasy XIV for many hours at a time there will eventually be burn-in that I can't get rid of.

Here's an example of how the HUD in Final Fantasy XIV can look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-03-29 at 13.47.23.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	2055817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-29-2017, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'm either watching sports or playing video games 95% of the time on my OLEDC6 that I purchased in November. I've had marathon gaming sessions (e.g., FFXV, Hitman, Rachet & Clank, Horizon:ZD, ME: Andromeda) with no issues afterwards. I'm a March Madness fanatic and have watched practically every game (static scoreboards/HUD) with no IR whatsoever.

I also have a Pioneer Kuro (plasma) that I purchased in 2009. I was worried about IR when I purchased that set and 10 years later she is still as gorgeous as the day she was delivered.

I wouldn't worry about the image retention personally (plus the LG's have a "Compensation Cycle" that can run automatically and supposedly resolve any IR issues that may occur). From my experience it seems the manufacturers have done an excellent job alleviating issues with IR, even with the relatively young OLED tech.

That being said, if you are super-concerned about it the IR with OLED then take a look at the Samsung KS8000 as it's a great gaming set and you should be able to get the 65" in the same price range as the OLED 55" - I don't think you can go wrong either way! (When making my purchase last year and doing all my research those were clearly the best 2 options for me so I'm just going off what I learned a few months back as I haven't checked into the 2017 models at all).

Good luck
nathanddrews likes this.

Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-30-2017, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance466 View Post
I'm either watching sports or playing video games 95% of the time on my OLEDC6 that I purchased in November. I've had marathon gaming sessions (e.g., FFXV, Hitman, Rachet & Clank, Horizon:ZD, ME: Andromeda) with no issues afterwards. I'm a March Madness fanatic and have watched practically every game (static scoreboards/HUD) with no IR whatsoever.

I also have a Pioneer Kuro (plasma) that I purchased in 2009. I was worried about IR when I purchased that set and 10 years later she is still as gorgeous as the day she was delivered.

I wouldn't worry about the image retention personally (plus the LG's have a "Compensation Cycle" that can run automatically and supposedly resolve any IR issues that may occur). From my experience it seems the manufacturers have done an excellent job alleviating issues with IR, even with the relatively young OLED tech.

That being said, if you are super-concerned about it the IR with OLED then take a look at the Samsung KS8000 as it's a great gaming set and you should be able to get the 65" in the same price range as the OLED 55" - I don't think you can go wrong either way! (When making my purchase last year and doing all my research those were clearly the best 2 options for me so I'm just going off what I learned a few months back as I haven't checked into the 2017 models at all).

Good luck
Thank you for the answer! How long were your marathon gaming sessions usually? Sometimes when I'm off work at the weekends I like to relax by playing games for 10+ hours.
Bahn Yuki likes this.

post #4 of 26 Old 03-30-2017, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I not sure if I've hit the 10+ gaming session mark but I've definitely come close and I know I've had it on for 10+ hours with no lingering effects. Plus your games will probably switch up what they are displaying so that it won't be the EXACT same thing/HUD the whole session and you can always press pause/switch to menu screen whenever you take a break.

Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-01-2017, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Permanent burn-in is almost impossible to occur, unless you're going to be staring at that screen shot for 10 hours straight. Even in FF14 where the HUD is ever present, there are times you would simply just open up a different menu or bring up the PS4's home menu isn't it?

That said, temporary IR will be a thing from time to time. How much it bothers you though, is up to you decide.

- 5.2.4 Bedroom Theater -
SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation
Dual SVS SB2000
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #6 of 26 Old 04-05-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have seen permanent IR on flat panels, so it is still a thing. I can't give specifics because the screens I have seen were not in televisions... I don't know exactly what was the part number and even if I did know, it wouldn't be helpful to anyone. So it is not impossible, as a defect or poor quality product can have this problem still, it is just going to be uncommon.

For testing details, the premanent IR (ghost) was noticed when having twitter open on the screen for around 5 minutes. Running the software meant to fix the IR issue ran for 2 weeks straight and you could still see the outlines of the image.

AACD
post #7 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The terms used to describe retention and burn in get misused a lot. Just so everyone is on the same page here:
Image retention = temporary
Image Burn-in = permanent

My E6 has serious RETENTION problems, but absolutely no burn-in.
This is only noticable when the screen is bright for minutes then goes dark (like in-game cutscene that removes the HUD in a dark cave).
This does not last that long once you get 500 or so hours on a panel.

What is a major issue, IMO, is the ABL dimming with these OLEDs. With games you'll be seeing when the ABL dimming kicks in frequently. There IS a way around this, but will be very hard to do without your own meter (requires lowering contrast, then compensating the drop in luminance with other controls like 2 or 20-point white balance).

This ABL issue has been getting improved with every yearly model, and supposedly this will only be an issue with HDR modes for 2017 models.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-14-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you had the same game HUD up for hours, how long does it takes to fade when you switch to watching movies? (without compensation cycle or turning off the TV)
post #9 of 26 Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
While owning a plasma for last couple years I developed good habits. Even though plasma ir (residual images caught in the 600hz field....or sump like that) is different than oled ir (transistor voltage or voltage resistance buildup (again I think, all I'm really sure of is they are different) so I'm not sure if certain patterns help or not. But what helps no matter the tech is to catch yourself anytime you put the controller down and decide whether to mute the screen or play a looping video or whatever so the pixels are either resting or dynamic but not static. After that just go to a menu or homescreen from time to time and should be a non-issue.
As for abl I do see it from time to time but it doesn't bother me. Think of a fps and your emerging from an underground cavern and as the daylight grows larger getting brighter and right as I'm starting to squint that's when it kicks in and I'm glad it did at that point....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 26 Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hmmmmm normally I'd say no

But since you're an MMO gamer if anyone is going to have burn in problems. It will be you.

People reporting burn in at best buy

No reason to think there won't be burn in from your UI unless you're constantly changing it
post #11 of 26 Old 05-10-2017, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Burn-in on 65" C6P

I can confirm these sets do burn-in. I had zero issues with this tv until I purchased a Nintendo Switch, and played Zelda. I set the OLED tv to "game" and played away. If you've played the game, you know there are hearts in the upper right for health, a temp meter and mini map, etc. in the lower right. One would also know that playing the game pulling up the full screen map, and the inventory screen, as well as other screens with different information is a frequent, and common occurrence. After a month of playing the game a few hours a night, I have heart shaped images burned into the upper right screen, and a temp meter from the game burned into the lower right of the screen. I have run the "clear panel noise" four times now. It won't go away. LG customer service told me to go away, they won't fix it, even though it's all over their website, and marketing materials that they have addressed the issue, and not to worry about it. I regret this tv purchase, and will never buy another LG product. Buyer beware if you play games, even lightly.
Bahn Yuki and Srdjan like this.
post #12 of 26 Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I can confirm these sets do burn-in. I had zero issues with this tv until I purchased a Nintendo Switch, and played Zelda. I set the OLED tv to "game" and played away. If you've played the game, you know there are hearts in the upper right for health, a temp meter and mini map, etc. in the lower right. One would also know that playing the game pulling up the full screen map, and the inventory screen, as well as other screens with different information is a frequent, and common occurrence. After a month of playing the game a few hours a night, I have heart shaped images burned into the upper right screen, and a temp meter from the game burned into the lower right of the screen. I have run the "clear panel noise" four times now. It won't go away. LG customer service told me to go away, they won't fix it, even though it's all over their website, and marketing materials that they have addressed the issue, and not to worry about it. I regret this tv purchase, and will never buy another LG product. Buyer beware if you play games, even lightly.
That was meant to say the hearts are in the upper left of the screen in Zelda.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wondering the same thing, but for the new Sony A1E, as they use the LG panels
post #14 of 26 Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I do a lot of gaming, but haven't noticed any burn-in on my LG.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolkg View Post
Thank you for the answer! How long were your marathon gaming sessions usually? Sometimes when I'm off work at the weekends I like to relax by playing games for 10+ hours.
The 8000 is the best TV for gaming...Oled has way better color...you decide = )
post #16 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
surprised...never knew OLED burned in...are we moving backwards?
post #17 of 26 Old 06-26-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
Permanent burn-in is almost impossible to occur, unless you're going to be staring at that screen shot for 10 hours straight. Even in FF14 where the HUD is ever present, there are times you would simply just open up a different menu or bring up the PS4's home menu isn't it?

That said, temporary IR will be a thing from time to time. How much it bothers you though, is up to you decide.

Interesting. The IR issue with OLEDs is what's keeping me from buying the LG C7. I play games for long periods of time. On some days when I'm off and Im feeling lazy, I'll stay playing from morning to late night. Now Im actually looking at the SONY 900E instead. IR would bother the hell out of me if I was to constantly get it because of long hour gaming sessions.

"A Video Game Junkie At His Finest"
[1000+ games with 29 Consoles and counting]
Gamer Tag on Xbox and PSN: Vagrant Pistol

Sony 930E - Denon X4200W - Polk RTiA 7 - RTiA 3 - CSiA 6 - SVS SB12 Plus
post #18 of 26 Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This news is very disturbing to me... I've been playing on an LED for years, and obviously haven't had any burn-in issues. Now, I'm looking at my next TV purchase, and the LG OLED was very high on my list. I tend to play single-player games of all different genres, for periods of 1 hour to 8 hours, depending on my schedule. I'll play almost every day, until I finish the game, then move onto the next. That being said, should I seriously reconsider getting an OLED if burn-in is a problem? Has anyone else had bad experiences with LG's customer service? Is LG really not helping anyone who has burned in images... cause, that would be an immediate "no buy" for me?
post #19 of 26 Old 07-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesoul65 View Post
surprised...never knew OLED burned in...are we moving backwards?
Oleds dim over time. Its part of the technology. Anything that dims over time runs the risk of part of it dimming faster or slower than other parts.

That is burn in.
Oledboi likes this.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-13-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Pistol View Post
Interesting. The IR issue with OLEDs is what's keeping me from buying the LG C7. I play games for long periods of time. On some days when I'm off and Im feeling lazy, I'll stay playing from morning to late night. Now Im actually looking at the SONY 900E instead. IR would bother the hell out of me if I was to constantly get it because of long hour gaming sessions.
I've gamed on mine for pretty long sessions, not 8 hours at a time, but at least 2-3. I also watch news in the evening that has a logo and scroll bar. No issues so far *knock on wood*

I don't really think burn-in is much of an issue with these. The two biggest flaws I've seen are banding and vignetting. I'd be a lot more worried about that than the very slim chance of burn-in.
post #21 of 26 Old 07-16-2017, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I've got somewhere between 700-1000 hours of gaming on my LGE6. I see no burn in. IR yes, very briefly when I cut away to a gray screen but it goes away.
nodixe likes this.
post #22 of 26 Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
OLED65B6P here with very bad burn in. I'm working with LG right now to see if they will replace the panel. I play ALOT of Call of Duty IW Zombies and the date and fortune card emblem is permanently burnt into my screen.
post #23 of 26 Old 08-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Liked: 0
Bought a Oled55b6p floor model at Microcenter it has slight burn in with 3 faint grey lines on the bottom right portion of the screen. http://imgur.com/gallery/btI9i. Not sure if it will go away within reasonable amount of time since the TV has already accumulated 4400 hours. Debating whether or not to return it. Somebody offered a B7 to me for less than the price of the b6 combined with a store warranty since the b6 didnt have a manufacturers warranty. The b7 still has a manufacturers warranty. Wondering why the person was offering it for such a low price. Like $500 below average ebay price seems fishy to me. Wondering if that specific b7 is defective even though I had the owner send me a pic with the total power on hours being at 0. Any thoughts on whether to keep it or not would be appreciated.
post #24 of 26 Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 356
You know the old saying, "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is... unless it isn't!" LOL

Those grey lines... hard to tell from the photo if that's burn-in or some other panel/substrate damage problem. Is it visible all the time or just when showing 100% gray?
post #25 of 26 Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatsei View Post
This news is very disturbing to me... I've been playing on an LED for years, and obviously haven't had any burn-in issues. Now, I'm looking at my next TV purchase, and the LG OLED was very high on my list. I tend to play single-player games of all different genres, for periods of 1 hour to 8 hours, depending on my schedule. I'll play almost every day, until I finish the game, then move onto the next. That being said, should I seriously reconsider getting an OLED if burn-in is a problem? Has anyone else had bad experiences with LG's customer service? Is LG really not helping anyone who has burned in images... cause, that would be an immediate "no buy" for me?
What did you decide? So far I’m in the same boat as you.
post #26 of 26 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyTV101 View Post
What did you decide? So far I’m in the same boat as you.
I ended up getting a B7A LG OLED. I've only had it for a month or so, so the longest I've played a single game continuously has been about 5 hours, but I haven't seen any burn-in at all. So far, I'm very happy with the purchase.

Although, the HDMI ARC has some delay in sound... it has a built-in option to try to sync audio and video, but it only goes to -5 or +15, and it looks like it would need about -15 to get it really fixed. It's slightly annoying, but it only happens for me when I'm watching DirecTV, since everything else goes through the receiver. (DirecTV can't, because it doesn't support wide color, and the LG requires you to enable wide color on each input manually, so if it's enabled, I can't watch DirecTV at all. If I leave it disabled, as soon as the Xbox or PS4 gets turned on, it enables it, and the TV input stays enabled. Again, relatively minor issue, but it's the only one I've had so far.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page