Xbox One S and Game Mode Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox One S and Game Mode Issue

Hey,

I recently picked up an Xbox One S, but I'm having a bit of trouble activating game mode on my tv. I have a Samsung UN55HU6840 and haven't had any issues with game mode until now.

I have the Xbox hooked up to HDMI 2 because HDMI 3 wouldn't allow me to turn on UHD Color. So, I went to HDMI 2 settings and turned on game mode. Once I boot up the Xbox though, game mode turns off and all the settings revert.

Anyone have any experience with this?
BlackBlood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBlood View Post
Hey,

I recently picked up an Xbox One S, but I'm having a bit of trouble activating game mode on my tv. I have a Samsung UN55HU6840 and haven't had any issues with game mode until now.

I have the Xbox hooked up to HDMI 2 because HDMI 3 wouldn't allow me to turn on UHD Color. So, I went to HDMI 2 settings and turned on game mode. Once I boot up the Xbox though, game mode turns off and all the settings revert.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Bump

Any insight into this issue would be much appreciated.
BlackBlood is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Member
 
lance466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Need some more details...

Does it allow you to re-enable/select Game Mode or is that option unavailable/greyed out?
This behavior does not occur on any non-UHD/Deep-color enabled inputs?
Does this behavior occur on an other UHD/Deep-color enabled inputs (if you have them)?
Are you running your Xbox One S through an AVR or straight to your TV (sounds like straight to TV but just want to make sure).

Do you notice input lag when playing video games? If not, might not be worth fretting over (but I would be one of those who would fret so I completely understand).

Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
lance466 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance466 View Post
Need some more details...

Does it allow you to re-enable/select Game Mode or is that option unavailable/greyed out?
This behavior does not occur on any non-UHD/Deep-color enabled inputs?
Does this behavior occur on an other UHD/Deep-color enabled inputs (if you have them)?
Are you running your Xbox One S through an AVR or straight to your TV (sounds like straight to TV but just want to make sure).

Do you notice input lag when playing video games? If not, might not be worth fretting over (but I would be one of those who would fret so I completely understand).
Once the Xbox is on, game mode turns off and I'm unable to reactive it. The option is greyed out and says that the feature is unavailable. If I turn the system off, the source goes black and game mode kicks back on.

No, this hasn't happened on any other HDMI source. I have a PS4 and Switched hooked up to HDMI 3, and game mode activated without a problem. I've switched the Xbox around to different ports, but the same thing persists. I have the Xbox plugged directly into the tv, and I do think I notice some display lag. I'm the kind of person that is absolutely fretting over this

Here's the breakdown of my 4k settings from the Xbox menu:
TV resolution
  • Your TV supports 4k UHD (60Hz)
  • Watching movies & TV
  • Your TV supports 4k 10-bit at 24Hz
  • Your TV supports 4k 10-bit at 50Hz
  • Your TV supports 4k 10-bit at 60Hz
  • Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 video. Content won't be shown in HDR.

Playing Games
  • Your TV supports 4k 10-bit at 60Hz Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming. Games won't be shown in HDR.

I have the Xbox plugged into HDMI 2 (DVI) because it supports UHD color. HDMI 3 (MHL), for some reason, doesn't support UHD color, so I'm missing out on the HDCP 2.2. I'm okay with not being able to stream in 4k due to the lack of HDCP 2.2. I'm more invested in playing games on it, so that's why I settled for the other port. Just to be clear, game mode didn't work in HDMI 3 either.
BlackBlood is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBlood View Post
Bump

Any insight into this issue would be much appreciated.
try a different HDMI cable?
Lonesoul65 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was thinking it could the cable, so I tried a few different ones out. No change though.
BlackBlood is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Member
 
lance466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I went digging through the forums and saw that you've already posted on the official thread for your TV (applause)...


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBlood View Post
Has anyone been able to get their Xbox One S to work with "game mode" on?

I can't figure out how to enable game mode for the life of me. I have the xbox hooked up to HDMI 2 (DVI) because I wasn't able to turn on UHD Color on HDMI 3.

I named the source to PC, turned on UHD Color, and enabled game mode just fine. Whenever I turn on my Xbox One S, game mode shuts off and the settings revert.

Is there an issue with TV, Xbox, or something else completely? Any help would be much appreciated.

Few more things to try:
1. Do you have the latest firmware for your TV?
2. If you disable UHD color on the HDMI input the One S is plugged into, does it allow you to select Game Mode - (assuming yes but specifically on the port you want to use)?
3. Have you played an HDR-enabled game on your PS4 (e.g., Horizon Zero Dawn, Hitman, Rachet/Clank) and verified you get Game Mode enabled with the HDR too?
4. If you haven't yet verified HDR gaming works on your PS4 then you haven't ruled out that it's a cabling issue so I'd recommend buying an "AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6 Feet (Latest Standard)" ($7) and see if that resolves your issue (unless you know for an absolute fact your current cables are up to spec).

The plot thickens...

Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.

Last edited by lance466; 06-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.
lance466 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance466 View Post
I went digging through the forums and saw that you've already posted on the official thread for your TV (applause)...





Few more things to try:
1. Do you have the latest firmware for your TV?
2. If you disable UHD color on the HDMI input the One S is plugged into, does it allow you to select Game Mode - (assuming yes but specifically on the port you want to use)?
3. Have you played an HDR-enabled game on your PS4 (e.g., Horizon Zero Dawn, Hitman, Rachet/Clank) and verified you get Game Mode enabled with the HDR too?
4. If you haven't yet verified HDR gaming works on your PS4 then you haven't ruled out that it's a cabling issue so I'd recommend buying an "AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6 Feet (Latest Standard)" ($7) and see if that resolves your issue (unless you know for an absolute fact your current cables are up to spec).

The plot thickens...
Sadly, I didn't get a response in that thread. I was hoping someone encountered this issue before. I'll probably bump it in a few days.

1. I do indeed have the latest firmware for my TV
2. I've tried the One S on that port with and without UHD color on. The problem persists.
3. I haven't played any HDR-enabled games on my PS4. I don't have a PS4 Pro, so I don't have any way to test that.
Sidebar: Is UHD Color and HDR the same thing? I could have swore that my TV didn't support HDR.
4. I would assume the cable that came with my One S would be sufficient for 4k gaming, but ya never know hahaha. It's the only 4k machine that I have so I don't have anything to test it against.

There are a lot of moving parts with this problem. It could be a number of things, but I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to an answer.
BlackBlood is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Member
 
lance466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 90
UHD (i.e., 4k) and HDR (High Dynamic Range) are 2 different things. One is resolution (UHD/4k) and the other is color range/gamut (HDR). Do a google/bing search for HDR (Dolby Vision is another version of HDR) for more info...it's convoluted/confusing I know...all these acronyms.


One piece of the puzzle we've left out...are you using the Samsung "Evolution Kit"? I'm assuming not based on the info you've provided so far. Research that as well.


It appears that your TV (as is) is not capable of HDR (but is capable of UHD/4K) so my guess is now that you would need to buy the Evolution Kit in order to get the latest HDMI standard in order for your Xbox One S to connect properly/enable Game Mode. Don't know this for sure, but if you are indeed using an up to spec cable (and I agree with you that the one that came with the S should be sufficient) then that's the only thing I can think of that could be causing this to happen. A call to Samsung tech support would be my first COA before looking into the Evolution Kit if I were in your shoes.


FWIW: All PS4s (i.e., doesn't have to be a PS4 Pro) are capable of HDR gaming (via a previous firmware update). But only PS4 Pro is capable of "4k" gaming - used quotes b/c it's actually checkerboard 4k....don't get me started....more confusion for the consumer.


Bottom line: To be honest, I think you got a really nice TV that was manufactured 'on the cusp' of all this fast-moving technology/specifications and you may have gotten stuck in the middle so to speak. That being said, I'm pretty sure that's exactly why Samsung created the Evolution Kits to provide you with some future proofing. Again, I'd check with Samsung Tech Support to confirm all our hypotheses/your options.

EDIT: Re: Evolution Kit - Check post #789 in the official thread for your set as another user is asking "To be clear, you have an HU6840, with current firmware (1190), and you were able to get HDCP 2.2 working on HDMI 3 without an evolution kit?" ** OFFICIAL ** 2014 Samsung 4K UN55HU6840 Ultra HD Smart TV Thread


My guess now is that your TV's 'built-in' HDMI port's spec may be the issue and that the evolution kit may resolve this???

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert at all this stuff but I do know just enough to be dangerous so please don't take my word as the Gospel

Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.

Last edited by lance466; 06-20-2017 at 01:54 PM.
lance466 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBlood View Post
Hey,

I recently picked up an Xbox One S, but I'm having a bit of trouble activating game mode on my tv. I have a Samsung UN55HU6840 and haven't had any issues with game mode until now.

I have the Xbox hooked up to HDMI 2 because HDMI 3 wouldn't allow me to turn on UHD Color. So, I went to HDMI 2 settings and turned on game mode. Once I boot up the Xbox though, game mode turns off and all the settings revert.

Anyone have any experience with this?
I'm assuming you have already validated the video settings on your Xbox One S are configured properly for your TV. Here is a link to the official MS support site related to settings for your TV and Xbox.
warnija is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance466 View Post
UHD (i.e., 4k) and HDR (High Dynamic Range) are 2 different things. One is resolution (UHD/4k) and the other is color range/gamut (HDR). Do a google/bing search for HDR (Dolby Vision is another version of HDR) for more info...it's convoluted/confusing I know...all these acronyms.


One piece of the puzzle we've left out...are you using the Samsung "Evolution Kit"? I'm assuming not based on the info you've provided so far. Research that as well.


It appears that your TV (as is) is not capable of HDR (but is capable of UHD/4K) so my guess is now that you would need to buy the Evolution Kit in order to get the latest HDMI standard in order for your Xbox One S to connect properly/enable Game Mode. Don't know this for sure, but if you are indeed using an up to spec cable (and I agree with you that the one that came with the S should be sufficient) then that's the only thing I can think of that could be causing this to happen. A call to Samsung tech support would be my first COA before looking into the Evolution Kit if I were in your shoes.


FWIW: All PS4s (i.e., doesn't have to be a PS4 Pro) are capable of HDR gaming (via a previous firmware update). But only PS4 Pro is capable of "4k" gaming - used quotes b/c it's actually checkerboard 4k....don't get me started....more confusion for the consumer.


Bottom line: To be honest, I think you got a really nice TV that was manufactured 'on the cusp' of all this fast-moving technology/specifications and you may have gotten stuck in the middle so to speak. That being said, I'm pretty sure that's exactly why Samsung created the Evolution Kits to provide you with some future proofing. Again, I'd check with Samsung Tech Support to confirm all our hypotheses/your options.

EDIT: Re: Evolution Kit - Check post #789 in the official thread for your set as another user is asking "To be clear, you have an HU6840, with current firmware (1190), and you were able to get HDCP 2.2 working on HDMI 3 without an evolution kit?" ** OFFICIAL ** 2014 Samsung 4K UN55HU6840 Ultra HD Smart TV Thread


My guess now is that your TV's 'built-in' HDMI port's spec may be the issue and that the evolution kit may resolve this???

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert at all this stuff but I do know just enough to be dangerous so please don't take my word as the Gospel
Okay, I think I have a grasp on the difference between UHD and HDR. It's a little odd that the tv comes with UHD color turned off as default. I wouldn't be getting a true 4k picture if that setting wasn't on, correct?

No, I don't have an evolution kit. I came across that a couple days ago, but haven't investigated it thoroughly. I inquired about it with Samsung support, but they said it wouldn't fix my issue. I'm not sure they knew what they were talking about, so I'll dig into it a bit. It's tough to grasp because there are so many different kits, and I'm unsure of which one is right for my tv. This is another mystery I'll have to unravel hahah

I did a little testing last night with my HDMI ports, Xbox settings, and TV settings. To make a long story short, I was able to get UHD color and game mode to stay on, but ONLY when the Xbox was set to 1080p. The moment I change the settings to 4k, game mode shuts off. This only worked in a port that doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so no 4k streaming for me. I'm thinking you're right in that this TV was made when the standards weren't solidified, and I'm left with some missing features.
BlackBlood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Gaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off