Do games output lossless codecs (ex: Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA) ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperFist

post #1 of 4 Old 06-20-2017, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Exclamation Do games output lossless codecs (ex: Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA) ?

I am aware that the PS4 console itself has the capability of playing sound with higher quality lossless codecs like Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA, which is very helpful when it comes to playing movies through the console.

However, what is the common audio type for the games themselves (ex: stereo)? is it lossy (ex: legacy DD and DTS) or lossless?
I also wanted to know if there is a way to check the audio type of specific games. It's been difficult for me to trace this. No info about this are usually provided in the official game website or any other website related to gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2017, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 465
To my knowledge, they do not output losselss codecs as it doesn't at all benefit the industry to do so. Lossless audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA and DTS:X though lossless are still compressed, albeit bitrate dense with large filesizes. And this fact alone is a bad reason for games to utilize them; physically as games on disc need more and more room with graphic fidelity becoming higher in resolution and games getting larger and more complex as well as digital games needing a smaller footprint due to data caps and limited online bandwidth depending upon individual ISPs.
tanis38 likes this.

Last edited by SuperFist; 06-20-2017 at 09:15 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2017, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Don't most games consoles output PCM multichannel? That's lossless uncompressed. There's no real need to compress audio being generated by a games console to DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD simply to send it over an HDMI cable to a 5.1/7.1 AVR that can also handle PCM multichannel. Why add a lossless compression process when you can carry lossless uncompressed?

Where it gets more complex is DTS:x or Dolby Atmos - I don't know if there are PCM lossless equivalents to carry the speaker configuration that these lossless (and in the case of Dolby Atmos - also lossy compressed - as you can have DD+ with Atmos as well as True HD with Atmos - don't know about DTS:x) In this scenario then compressed audio may be required to add height-based surround.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I can't speak for AAA titles on the PS4, but what I do know is that many smaller games (in general, regardless of console/PC) have pretty mediocre sound quality.
There are several instances where the soundtrack in FLAC has been several times as big as the whole game. It's such a shame that it is like this.

On the Playstation 1, for instance, most of the size was from the music itself, with the game only taking up maybe 100 mByte.

Audio Gear: Sennheiser HD 800 & HD 650, SPL Phonitor, Abrahamsen V6.0 DAC, JBL 705Ps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page