Nintendo to Launch Mini SNES Classic in September - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BNestico
  • 1 Post By Bluecow003

post #1 of 19 Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 11400
Nintendo to Launch Mini SNES Classic in September

Do you miss the thrill of the early 1990s, when Mario ruled the video game universe with a giant hammer? If you want to relive those glory days, or experience what the hype was all about for the first time by playing a Super Nintendo Entertainment system, this September 29 you are in luck. The iconic console is back again in the form of the Mini SNES ($79.99), an all-in-one retro rig that includes 21 games and two controllers.

Click the link to read more: Nintendo Announces Mini SNES Classic Coming September 29

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
not sure this will have the same success as the mini NES, but i'm sure a few will pick it up on a whim.

makes you wonder if they'll do a gamecube and n64 as well. i actually would look more closely at one of those, since it's not as easy to run an emulator for the N64 stuff(not sure if you can?). but then that might be exactly the reason they can't make a little box like this either...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 19 Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
not sure this will have the same success as the mini NES, but i'm sure a few will pick it up on a whim.

makes you wonder if they'll do a gamecube and n64 as well. i actually would look more closely at one of those, since it's not as easy to run an emulator for the N64 stuff(not sure if you can?). but then that might be exactly the reason they can't make a little box like this either...
One thing I think should have been done is to have incorporated access to more games through an online service, instead of being limited only to what comes with the device. N64 emus have been out for ages, I've fooled around with Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Golden Eye 64, but that was years ago. Gamecube emu works as well, but I've only tried that with Mario Sunshine (I think). Never really played those games, just wanted to see if it would work.

I imagine they can make a mini Cube and 64, given the number of transistors than can be fit onto much smaller dies than were when those consoles were released, but I suppose it depends on how well this console is received. I wouldn't mind having a mini SNES, even if to put away in case they appreciate in value over time.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-27-2017, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
It's all a nice idea until you try to play sub-VGA resolution graphics on a 138 inch screen and then your eyes bleed. Only reason I bought a Wii U? Because it was the first chance to play Mario at true 1080p, ever.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-27-2017, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Big deal, all the first one did was make a lot of money for scalpers, they should still be putting out the NES let alone release another one they cannot meet the demand for.. Glad I have a modded Wii with every game ever.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-27-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10183 Post(s)
Liked: 9172
Too bad this 1 has less games and is a pretty weak lineup too. No sports.

Honestly, they'd be better off releasing a better version of the NES classic with more games and actually having it in stock at real stores that you can buy them at in real life. Sounds crazy I know.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Interesting to see Earthbound on the list...wondering if that is just to try and entice the die-hard fans to spend money on this that would be less than buying a used cart on eBay for the game. Especially given how rare the Earthbound game was in the US anyway, you would think Golden Eye would have been a better option. None the less, won't spend $80 for it.

GT: xxBogeyFreexx
post #8 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 231
They should make these things capable of playing actual game cartridges designed for the system. I know people with boxes of these games but can't find a working console for one reason or another.
imagic likes this.

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7009
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
Sony BDP-S7200
post #9 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
One thing I think should have been done is to have incorporated access to more games through an online service, instead of being limited only to what comes with the device. N64 emus have been out for ages, I've fooled around with Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Golden Eye 64, but that was years ago. Gamecube emu works as well, but I've only tried that with Mario Sunshine (I think). Never really played those games, just wanted to see if it would work.

I imagine they can make a mini Cube and 64, given the number of transistors than can be fit onto much smaller dies than were when those consoles were released, but I suppose it depends on how well this console is received. I wouldn't mind having a mini SNES, even if to put away in case they appreciate in value over time.
are emulators available for devices other than pc's?

i haven't paid attention is a long time, stopped thinking old games were 'nostalgic' and started thinking they were 'pretty terrible' after i walked down memory lane with arcade, NES, and SNES emulators on an old xbox. the xbox isn't powerful enough to run anything more advance than that, and i'm not aware of newer consoles having the ability to run emulators at all.

but i totally agree, this is a novelty like a 21st century version of 'twister' that people will pull out of their closets when they have a party. without support for more games in the future, it's going to become stale fast

post #10 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsandCigars View Post
Interesting to see Earthbound on the list...wondering if that is just to try and entice the die-hard fans to spend money on this that would be less than buying a used cart on eBay for the game. Especially given how rare the Earthbound game was in the US anyway, you would think Golden Eye would have been a better option. None the less, won't spend $80 for it.
wasn't goldeneye an N64 game?

post #11 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

i haven't paid attention is a long time, stopped thinking old games were 'nostalgic' and started thinking they were 'pretty terrible' after i walked down memory lane with arcade, NES, and SNES emulators on an old xbox. the xbox isn't powerful enough to run anything more advance than that, and i'm not aware of newer consoles having the ability to run emulators at all.

but i totally agree, this is a novelty like a 21st century version of 'twister' that people will pull out of their closets when they have a party. without support for more games in the future, it's going to become stale fast
What I've heard people do is use a Raspberry Pi and put it into a small box to create their own dedicated emulator. You can buy retro controllers with USB connections I guess. That's probably the most direct way to get something equivalent to these Classic systems. However, if you get one of the Classic systems, they can be hacked and loaded with games, so they are essentially emulators already. I think I've heard of people loading several hundred or a thousand games on the NES Classic.

I snagged a NES Classic at Target at the end of April a week before they stopped making them. I'll admit it was just for the nostalgia of it that I can use to easily show my nephew/niece or my kids someday what the games I grew up with were like to play. Building an emulator is cheaper, but building an emulator is only cheaper because it's basically illegal. I like the look of the these Classic reissues, they use official Nintendo controllers, and it's all legal. It's not a bad price to pay IMO for an officially licensed piece of nostalgia that reliably works on current technology.
fatuglyguy likes this.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #12 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 344
the lack of wi fi controllers is more stunning than anything else with these things.

The 3' cord with the NES classic was one of the most short-sighted, buffoonish things I've seen in a LONG time.

"no problem, just get yourself a 25' HDMI and extension cord...or some 9' controller extensions."

joke.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #13 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
What I've heard people do is use a Raspberry Pi and put it into a small box to create their own dedicated emulator. You can buy retro controllers with USB connections I guess. That's probably the most direct way to get something equivalent to these Classic systems. However, if you get one of the Classic systems, they can be hacked and loaded with games, so they are essentially emulators already. I think I've heard of people loading several hundred or a thousand games on the NES Classic.
ah, that makes sense. fair bit of effort to make it nice and clean like one of these boxes though. i feel like the average consumer is mostly concerned with convenience, so if the retail boxes provided an easy way to get the same thing, they'd be willing to pay a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
I snagged a NES Classic at Target at the end of April a week before they stopped making them. I'll admit it was just for the nostalgia of it that I can use to easily show my nephew/niece or my kids someday what the games I grew up with were like to play. Building an emulator is cheaper, but building an emulator is only cheaper because it's basically illegal. I like the look of the these Classic reissues, they use official Nintendo controllers, and it's all legal. It's not a bad price to pay IMO for an officially licensed piece of nostalgia that reliably works on current technology.
sticker price is absolutely reasonable. i'm just not a big enough fan of old games. and even if i were, i think i'd want more of them. once you've bought the hardware, DLC at 2bux (even 5 would be reasonable since i wouldn't bother with games i didn't really like anyway) a game or something would go a long way imo

post #14 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If it is anything like the redone NES classic no one will be able to get one at the MSRP. Figure on paying at least twice or three times as much...not worth it. Supply will probably be super limited and scalpers will scoop in and claim them all.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
It's all a nice idea until you try to play sub-VGA resolution graphics on a 138 inch screen and then your eyes bleed. Only reason I bought a Wii U? Because it was the first chance to play Mario at true 1080p, ever.
Yeah I agree, I'm trying to play Shovel Knight on my Epson 5040 at about 120" inches and the 8 bit graphics are a real eye sore. Game seems a bit overrated to me....I'd rather play Ori in glorious 4K over an 8 bit game any day.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken30NYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Yeah I agree, I'm trying to play Shovel Knight on my Epson 5040 at about 120" inches and the 8 bit graphics are a real eye sore. Game seems a bit overrated to me....I'd rather play Ori in glorious 4K over an 8 bit game any day.
I hadn't thought about how NES and SNES emus would look on my Epson and 120" screen. I'm going to try as soon as I get home. Many of the emus I've used have various screen smoothing options and they certainly help.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
wasn't goldeneye an N64 game?
Good call, it was. I guess that is how long it has been.

GT: xxBogeyFreexx
post #18 of 19 Old 06-29-2017, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2894 Post(s)
Liked: 2860
Quote:
ah, that makes sense. fair bit of effort to make it nice and clean like one of these boxes though. i feel like the average consumer is mostly concerned with convenience, so if the retail boxes provided an easy way to get the same thing, they'd be willing to pay a fair price.
Most people who really sought these that weren't price gouging on ebay and elsewhere had no clue you could run emulators at all. You can run NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, and GameCube emulators on a Nvidia switch for example or even a smart phone. The problem is getting roms. Not that it's particularly hard but unless you own the original games it's not legal to download them. Then of course there is not having a real GUI to select which game to play and having the initial setup for controllers, location of game files etc. You are correct that it's much cleaner and easier to buy the retro box instead.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #19 of 19 Old 06-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I still have a working OG xbox setup with xbmc and emulators. Good times. At that point and time, it was pre-hdmi era, and that really was the best way to emulate other consoles and play them on your tv. The arcade emulation was awesome.

You can also softmod a Nintendo Wii extremely easy, but IMO the best all-around system is the Nvidia shield. This is assuming you don’t need to emulate anything newer than PS1. There’s always PC for newer stuff.

The biggest thing that’s changed over the years is not having to download and install each individual emulator. You can now download retroarch, and it contains all of the cores and configs needed for most of the main consoles. You still need to provide bios files for the cd-based systems such as Sega CD and PS1. Retroarch is a backend that you can run by itself, or you can use with a front end like Gamesome, Arc Browser, and some others. There are also ways of setting your emulators up as an add-on to Kodi or Steam.

Raspberry Pi is cool but I’m not at all a linux person, so some of the backend stuff like –apt get and command line input is beyond me, but the Pi3 I have is cool and cheap. Wifi and Bluetooth are built-in along with 4 usb ports, so it supports a wide range of controllers. I picked up a couple of SNES controller replicas made by iBuffalo. They’re the real deal. There's a kit on amazon that includes everything you need for less than $100 shipped.

I’ll always love the old stuff for nolstagic purposes, but yeah, playing some of these games on a large screen will make your eyes bleed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page