Anyone Gaming in a Room With ATMOS? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By mushroommunk
  • 1 Post By DaGamePimp
  • 1 Post By J_P_A
  • 3 Post By sprins
  • 2 Post By NuSoardGraphite
  • 2 Post By Egghaus
  • 1 Post By holtrp
  • 1 Post By asarose247

post #1 of 28 Old 07-12-2017, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Anyone Gaming in a Room With ATMOS?

Cliff's Notes - Is anyone gaming in a room (either dedicated home theater or otherwise) with ATMOS? What do you think?

The longer story,

My dedicated home theater has been in use for watching movies for quite a while (not finished, but I hung the projector so all progress pretty well stopped), but I only picked up PS4 and a good title last weekend. It's the first time I've been really impressed with the surround sound in my room. 7+ years ago, before my first son was born, I spent a lot of nights playing FPSs. I had a surround sound setup in my living room, but nothing special. It definitely added to the experience, but there were a TON of compromises that limited what it could offer.

Well, the day after I had this great gaming experience in my HT, my AVR gets hit by lighting. So now I'm upgrading to an ATMOS receiver, and I'm pretty excited about what it will add to the experience. I've never heard ATMOS in action, so I really don't know what to expect.

Does anyone have any experience with ATMOS and gaming? Do I need to take a deep breath and lower my expectations, or is it going to be as EPIC as I'm hoping? It's going to be a week or two before I get everything together, but I'm interested in what others think in the meantime.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I suppose the dearth of responses means either:

1 - Everyone is having so much fun with their ATMOS gaming, they don't have time to post

or

2 - No one is gaming with ATMOS.

I have a feeling one of those is much more likely than the other
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57173163.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2233921  

post #3 of 28 Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Cliff's Notes - Is anyone gaming in a room (either dedicated home theater or otherwise) with ATMOS?
Yes, with Xbox One S on a 5.2.4 system. Most games have excellent surround sound and it makes for a noticeably better gaming experience. Much more immersive.

Having said that, I haven't seen any Xbox games that have Atmos sound. However, my Yamaha pre-processor upscales the 5.1 sound and the result is very good.

post #4 of 28 Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Yes, with Xbox One S on a 5.2.4 system. Most games have excellent surround sound and it makes for a noticeably better gaming experience. Much more immersive.

Having said that, I haven't seen any Xbox games that have Atmos sound. However, my Yamaha pre-processor upscales the 5.1 sound and the result is very good.
Xbox one didn't have atmos support until like April of this year. Currently I think Overwatch is one of the few games in general that supports Atmos, and not even on Xbox as far as I know. I'm ordering my atmos speakers in a paycheck or two when I order my ps4 pro (already have a desktop) so I'm hoping more come out and support ramps up.
post #5 of 28 Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm just now getting back into gaming, so I'm way behind on the current news. Did the current generation of consoles not support bitstreaming? I though the ATMOS decoding happened at the receiver.

post #6 of 28 Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 AM

Xbox one was missing some sort of bistreaming at release, I never dug into the technicals but my understanding is until recently Atmos wasn't even possible on the console because the xbox couldn't just pass the bitstream to the receiver to be decoded. Ps4 I think added support for it earlier than Xbox one but I don't think it was right off the bat either. My impression is both consoles released "working" for the masses and then features for the rest of us have been added as they go along.

Although the receiver has to do the decoding, there's still licensing and driver things that have to happen in the game. It has to be able to process the file enough to know which bitstream to send when, and Atmos is a Dolby trademark/copywrite thing so they have to pay for it. Its taking time for it to be adopted and studios probably decided to focus on flashy 4k which more people have now.
J_P_A likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 501
I game using a 7.3.4 Atmos setup and it's very immersive with the games that support it (there are not that many with native Atmos across the various game platforms, pc currently has the most Atmos support).

- Jason
J_P_A likes this.

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133" / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Samsung 65KS8000 / Denon x3300 / Klipsch speakers / Velodyne subs / Samsung K8500 / PS4 Pro + PSVR / WiiU / PS3 / 360 / Wii / 1080 TI - i7 game PC / Multi-Arcade / My HT SLIDESHOW
post #8 of 28 Old 07-14-2017, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It will be interesting to see how the game adoption goes. Having never heard ATMOS in action, it still seems like games would benefit from it far more than movies. At least for now. Who knows how VR will affect things. In games the surround panning effects are - for the most part - continuous. As long as there is something in the immediate environment making a noise, and as long as you are free to look around the environment, your surround sound is moving that sound around you.

When you're watching a movie, you're just along for the ride.
MillerTimeISU likes this.

post #9 of 28 Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
PS4 pro with an Atmos 7.1.4 setup over here. Native Atmos and PS4 = not yet, but I'm very happy with the Dolby Surround upmixer (not so much the Neural:X) on the few games that I play, being: DOOM, Wolfenstein, CoD Modern Warfare, Battlefield 4.

I put the console to 5.1 PCM out (7.1 isn't supported by any game I play making the rears silent).
With the Dolby Surround upmixer all 7.1.4 speakers do their magic.

AV7702mk2 + Bose Panaray/Controlspace 7.1.4 Atmos + DTS:X
post #10 of 28 Old 07-17-2017, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
You would think that by now all of the major game developers would be all over Atmos and DTS:X since videogame soundtracks are essentially objects based from the get go anyway, and were previously mixed to channels in real-time. Now they just need to send the object information to the receiver where Atmos or X will decide what channels the sound will come from. This seems like an easier process to me. Maybe I am missing something.
J_P_A and mushroommunk like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #11 of 28 Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
You would think that by now all of the major game developers would be all over Atmos and DTS:X since videogame soundtracks are essentially objects based from the get go anyway, and were previously mixed to channels in real-time. Now they just need to send the object information to the receiver where Atmos or X will decide what channels the sound will come from. This seems like an easier process to me. Maybe I am missing something.
Like I said above, there's the licensing factor. And maybe game studios figure people don't have enough hardware to decode atmos and no atmos speakers so they figure it isn't worth their while to change there engines. Plus proper game development takes a few years, so if you figure all the games being released now were started back when atmos was even less adopted, it kind of makes sense. Now if the games that start coming out around christmas or next year don't have atmos I'll start getting upset.
post #12 of 28 Old 07-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am only running 5.1.2 Atmos with the PS4 Pro, so no native Atmos games, however Battlefield 1 sounds absolutely fantastic using the Dolby upmixer (BF1 does support Atmos on PC). I can actually hear when footsteps are above me, planes flying overhead, room filling sandstorms etc. It is the best sounding game I have ever played.
helvetica bold and J_P_A like this.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm excited to hear the positive experiences here. I've finally got my cooked AVR replaced, so once I get everything dialed back in I'll start working on adding my ATMOS speakers. I'm really looking forward to the upgrade. I'm looking forward to it a lot more for gaming than I am for the movie experience.

post #14 of 28 Old 07-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have a true 7.1.2 setup with a HTPC that can do 4k gaming (Titan X Pascal). the only PC Game I know that support ATMOS is Star Wars Battlefront, but it doesn't have HDR and I dont' even play it that much.

I also have a fake 7.1.2 setup in my gaming room with a Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar; also 4K gaming PC. But again, I don't console game #pcmasterrace

Last edited by rotarydude; 07-19-2017 at 02:56 PM.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Overwatch supports Atmos but translates this itself to stereo for headphones only I believe.

Does anyone have any info on whether:

- there is a real Windows-based decoder that would be able to output to e.g. some 5.1, 7.1 or 4.0 HDMI configuration that could then be spoon-fed to a receiver whether it supports Atmos or not?

In the Windows 10 sound options there is a "spatial sound" menu entry. If you select Dolby Atmos you get a Windows Store popup giving you the Dolby Access app.

The screenshots suggest you can only do 2 things with it:

- encode existing multi-channel sound to Atmos and send it out to your receiver
- encode existing multi-channel sound to Atmos and then encode it to stereo and send it to your headphones.

Clearly not what I want!!!

My game (Overwatch) already encodes to Atmos but there is no way to get it out of the game as the game itself transforms it to stereo headphones sound!!!

So surround gamers (using speakers) are left in the dark here.
post #16 of 28 Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I'm going to be that "one guy" right now and say that atmos in its current state is totally overrated. You have atmos soundbars, atmos up firing speakers and TVs that output atmos via their internal speakers. Non of these versions of atmos are real to me. Atmos is a dedication of labor, love and money. Atmos requires quality speakers and a quality AVR and with quality comes the word expensive. You really won't know what you are missing until you go over someone's house who has a dedicated theatre with 15-20 speakers pumping out gut wrenching ear bleeding soul vibrating atmos sound. Atmos is still in its infancy with only 1 Netflix movie that streams atmos. Besides overwatch and battlefront, there is currently no atmos gaming. I still feel that there is no better immersion than a quality set of cans (headphones) for gaming. With windows and Xbox you currently have the windows sonic and atmos object based 3D surround sound virtualization that you can use with headphones connected to the controller. By the time atmos becomes mainstream, Dolby will have some new 3D format better than atmos. How else do you think they will be able to pump out more money from early adopters?
post #17 of 28 Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 AM

I have been trying what you could call poor man's surround with just a bunch of speakers and not even having run Audyssey for it.

Every headphone gamer has better sound than me. What's more, voice chat is really hard using speakers, so much so that I don't consider it viable.
post #18 of 28 Old 08-03-2017, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex View Post
I have been trying what you could call poor man's surround with just a bunch of speakers and not even having run Audyssey for it.

Every headphone gamer has better sound than me. What's more, voice chat is really hard using speakers, so much so that I don't consider it viable.
I don't think this is a valid comparison in general, though. A poorly setup surround system is is going to give you a poor experience. I've gamed with headphones before, but I much prefer the audio in my home theater. WAY better response on the low end. I'd guess a lot of it comes down to setup and components.

I'm not sure what you mean about the voice chat. You still need a mic for that, but otherwise I've never had any trouble with it. Even when gaming in my living room with a low end 7.1 HTIB setup.

post #19 of 28 Old 08-03-2017, 07:04 AM

My experience was that when the other person starts to talk and I don't know if it would be that much different with head phones but I think it would be easier.

See I am just used to a phone. When talking to people. The sound is close by and so is the mic.

If the voice is coming from a far you may feel that you have to talk louder when it is not so.

But e.g. when there is noise on the other person's mic and it activates while you are talking then the sensation of distance might make it harder to focus on it, you don't hear what you're saying, you don't hear what she's saying.

I suspect that with headphones it would be easier to focus on the sound and not have your own voice drown in the sea of other noises coming from your speaker.
post #20 of 28 Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Nice to hear that the Dolby Surround Up-Mixer works well with BF1. Im hope Dice patches in true Atmos support on consoles soon.
post #21 of 28 Old 08-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I recently upgraded to an Atmos pre pro, but only have 7.1.2 installed (two front height speakers). I haven't played any games outside of Madden over the past few years but recently picked up Fallout 4 for XBONE. It sounds fantastic at 7.1.2. even without Atmos. My rear heights will be hooked up tomorrow so I am looking forward to getting the full effect.

From what I have read, we are a little early to the party as content isn't really there yet. I think Overwatch is the only game that has Atmos but I am hoping that it becomes more common with XBONEX and new releases going forward like Battle Front II, COD WWII and Red Dead Redemption.
J_P_A likes this.
post #22 of 28 Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtrp View Post
I recently upgraded to an Atmos pre pro, but only have 7.1.2 installed (two front height speakers). I haven't played any games outside of Madden over the past few years but recently picked up Fallout 4 for XBONE. It sounds fantastic at 7.1.2. even without Atmos. My rear heights will be hooked up tomorrow so I am looking forward to getting the full effect.

From what I have read, we are a little early to the party as content isn't really there yet. I think Overwatch is the only game that has Atmos but I am hoping that it becomes more common with XBONEX and new releases going forward like Battle Front II, COD WWII and Red Dead Redemption.
Anybody use bipolar omnidirectional rears and surrounds in their atmos setup?
post #23 of 28 Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 112
i'm wanting to upgrade to ATMOS for movies and games!
post #24 of 28 Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've got a dedicated HT room with Atmos 7.1.2 setup. AVR amp is an Onkyo TXRZ1100. The overheads are in the center of the room just behind the first seating row. I'm using an Xbox one console set to bit stream mode. Even without actual Atmos sound encoding it seems most games I've played benefit from the setup. Sounds are very directional and as you turn the sounds pan around you appropriately. Ambience sounds like wind and rain have the right kind of presence. Newer games like Skyrim, Fallout 4, and The Witcher 3 do this very well, but even old 360 games like Mass Effect (1) benefit from the added immersion. That combined with a 130" screen, power recliner in the center of the room sweet spot makes for the ultimate gaming experience.

I've got the Xbox One X on pre-order, and I expect the audio to get even better with that.
post #25 of 28 Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Xbox 1S now,

X is on pre-order,

using 7.4.6 Scatmos for everything, ATMOS and DSU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scatmos complete.jpg (577.4 KB, 34 views)
DaGamePimp likes this.

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #26 of 28 Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have the upward firing Klipsch atmos speakers hooked up to an xbox. I've positioned them as instructed and have the suggested 8-10ft ceiling. Running the Dolby atmos sound software directly on the xbox, I have trouble actually hearing a difference. I can't tell if I'm actually hearing sounds above me, or if it's more of a placebo effect. It's definitely not as impactful as going from stereo to a 5.1 set up.
post #27 of 28 Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by urcha View Post
I have the upward firing Klipsch atmos speakers hooked up to an xbox. I've positioned them as instructed and have the suggested 8-10ft ceiling. Running the Dolby atmos sound software directly on the xbox, I have trouble actually hearing a difference. I can't tell if I'm actually hearing sounds above me, or if it's more of a placebo effect. It's definitely not as impactful as going from stereo to a 5.1 set up.

This is why, you don't try and beat physics.

If you want sound from up top, you put your speakers there. That's it. Why go around the bend? If you can't do it, then don't do it. Put the money in better LCR speakers.

As for your ceiling height, 8 - 10ft is "correct" for an upfiring setup. But are your ceilings completely flat and reflective as well? Also, your MLP for an upfiring setup is basically confined to ONE sitting space (and a limited one at that btw).

- 5.2.4 Bedroom Theater -
SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation
Dual SVS SB2000
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #28 of 28 Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
This is why, you don't try and beat physics.

If you want sound from up top, you put your speakers there. That's it. Why go around the bend? If you can't do it, then don't do it. Put the money in better LCR speakers.

As for your ceiling height, 8 - 10ft is "correct" for an upfiring setup. But are your ceilings completely flat and reflective as well? Also, your MLP for an upfiring setup is basically confined to ONE sitting space (and a limited one at that btw).
That's why I was offering my advice, that upward firing don't live up to the hype. They are marginal improvements, if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page