Suggestions for a new reciever - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-14-2017, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Suggestions for a new reciever

I've currently got a surround system with a Marantz SR5008 receiver. Primary use is gaming (xbox one, ps4 and pc gaming). I intend to give away my receiver to a family friend soon who is currently working on a set up of his own. It seems as though the Marantz SR5011 is the new version of the receiver I'm giving away, but before I go ahead and buy it, I though I'd ask if anyone else has suggestions that would be good for the gaming setup I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-14-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 484
It will depend entirely on your setup. Are you looking at 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2, 9.x, ATMOS, etc. Are you looking at separates, i.e., do you have separate amps, or are you driving all your speakers from the receiver? Before anyone can really offer any feedback, I think you have to give a little more information.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-14-2017, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Definitely a 5.1 setup with all the speakers connected to the receiver. I guess I would prioritize anything that doesn't introduce input lag and supports 4k gaming at 60 fps. I'm just trying to future proof everything so that no major upgrade would be necessary for a while. I'm new to the home theatre/surround sound scene so I've only ever owned the Marantz receiver I'm giving away. I'm definitely open to trying out another brand/manufacturer if they have a receiver that is optimized (or is better suited) for gaming.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpolly View Post
Definitely a 5.1 setup with all the speakers connected to the receiver. I guess I would prioritize anything that doesn't introduce input lag and supports 4k gaming at 60 fps. I'm just trying to future proof everything so that no major upgrade would be necessary for a while. I'm new to the home theatre/surround sound scene so I've only ever owned the Marantz receiver I'm giving away. I'm definitely open to trying out another brand/manufacturer if they have a receiver that is optimized (or is better suited) for gaming.
Wait a few months until HDMI 2.1 is finally released. Google HDMI 2.1 now to see the benefits and learn about it. It's greatest strength will be more bandwidth and ability to send more info from on source to another. It will allow higher resolutions and higher frame rates for gaming and also better sound from eARC going from a TV back to the receiver. If sending atmos from TV apps back to a receiver isn't important or connecting a PC to your TV to get 4k at 120 frames then buy what suits your needs today. Everything is still unknown like will receivers come with the hardware update today to do hdmi 2.1 and will be unlocked later with a firmware or will it strictly be a hardware scenerio, so that's why I say wait a few months till final specs and information is released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page