Heads up on getting surround sound in gaming through speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Heads up on getting surround sound in gaming through speakers?

Okay I feel I don't know some basics so here it goes.

I am playing Overwatch, or trying to.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR578 with 3 full-size speakers I can use (2 front and 1 big center) and I also have 2 smaller satellites and 1 smaller center available, all of whom are Mordaunt-Short.

Initially I played the game using a sound card configured for 2.0 S/PDIF and my receiver expanded it to a 5.1 scheme in "music" mode, basically just distributing the sound over all speakers. I had no situational awareness; no directions.

But the sound was good enough to play decently, I just couldn't pinpoint directions.

I only had connected: 2x front + 1x surround that I just double connected ;-) that's probably not so good but I connected it to both surround channels. Cause you can bi-amp it so I just connected it twice to different channels ;-). This is thus far the best sound I have had.

The center was actually not connected (in front). This worked in the Onky's "music" mode because the channels were apparently just spread out evenly. In "game" mode I missed a lot of sound because it was sent to the unconnected center. The Onkyo is incapable of disabling the center while the surround channels (speakers) are active.

In other words, it is incapable of giving me a "quad" setup with 2 in front and 2 in back. It has to have a center.

Now this may sound confusing; the Onkyo IS capable of having only ONE surround BACK but not so with the "side" surround channels; so you can have a 6.1 mode as opposed to 7.1, but not a 4.1 mode as opposed to 5.1.

That's why I connected them twice, well anyway.

The sound card is a Club3D Theatron Agrippa DTS 7.1 or something similar; it has Dolby Digital Live. So I tried first to put the S/PDIF to 5.1 DD-Live mode. Or the equivalent DTS. I did not find that the Game would output surround sound that I could detect any positioning in. But I was gonna say something else here: using HDMI the sound is just worse than using the sound card's 5.1. I don't know why, it just is.

But anyway, HDMI is not important yet: I tried all the settings I could find for my 5.1 sound card using S/PDIF and I just couldn't get ANY positional surround sound from the game. The receiver did receive a 5.1 DD signal but it simply had no positional information.

And in fact the game sounded better using 2.0 S/PDIF with the aformentioned Music mode; the receiver doing the expansion to 5.0 minus the center, I mean.

But of course without positional information also. I am sure I am missing something, you know.

Then at some point I started using the HDMI connection of my graphics card. Currently nVidia. Suddenly the positional information was there; I now had actual surround sound from the game. The receiver receives a multi-channel PCM format. And apparently keeps it as is.

Great, but my receiver still needs a center to be connected. So I took the tiny center and put it in a drawer in front of me, pop the drawer out when I need it; and I have something like full 5.1. Or actually 5.0.

Skipping a few things here, I currently have 2 actual surround speakers (4th and 5th channel) so I actually have 5.0 sound, and the sound is horrid. Not only do the different types of speakers not combine well, ..., idk, the sound just hurts my ears. I am not really benefiting from any positional sound yet, and I play just awfully.

Overwatch amplifies enemy sounds and I can't turn that off, and the sounds just disrupt me and the explosions are so loud and so on, but that is beside the point now.

So I turned the HDMI configuration in Windows from 7.1 to 4.0, hoping that I could ignore the center connected in front. 2 front connected and 2 back. So I play the game, and the sound is better (less harsh on my ears) but there are missing sounds, it sounds very muffled. Some voice lines I actually barely hear.

Driving me nuts. Is the game still sending the center channel out? Possibly so. Is Windows spreading that evenly over the 2 front speakers or not?

Of course I can still do the room calibration (of the Onkyo) but that won't make a lot of difference now.

Because there is just a lot of sound that I am not hearing.

So ideally I just would use the 3 big speakers I have (2 front and 1 big center) in a 3.0 setup, but I tried that before as well, and I am just missing sounds. I can put the HDMI in Windows to 3.0. I mean I can put it to 3.0 in Windows. But.

Sounds elude me, I don't hear enough.

Next best option is 4.0 with 2 big front and 2 small satellite. That's basically what I have now, and sounds elude me.

So the real question I have here is:
  • does the Windows sound configuration actually spread the sound or not?
  • is it to be expected that the center would just be dropped, for instance?
  • am I missing something important here?

Please give any suggestions you like. I like to play without headphones.

I would REALLY like to:
  • use my 5.1 sound card using its 5.1 S/PDIF connection. Is this possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

To clarify:

- I have 2x Mordaunt-Short Avant 906i or something and its center (904i or something) as the full-range speakers
- I have the Mordaunt-Short Premiere set with the smaller speakers that I can supplement the set with.

- I am trying to play without a center speaker. When I do connect a center speaker, it has to be the Premiere smaller center.

- The Onkyo cannot disable the center while enabling the 4th and 5th channel (surround)

- Windows can apparently disable the center channel but I don't know what it does with that.

- I am using Windows 10.

- Surround sound through the sound card has not worked.

- I am not using headphones.

- It is probably vital for me to not combine the 2 sets. The sound is just awful I think.

- Sound through my sound card is just a lot better, even though that should be impossible? Than HDMI.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I guess this is a rather verbose first post I made here.

My most important question right now is this:

- I have the Club3D Theatron Agrippa 7.1 DTS which is the same card as the Auzentech Xplosion 7.1 DTS connect I think, or has the same drivers. It is using Windows 8.1 drivers I believe on Windows 10.

Is there any way I could get my game (Overwatch) to output multi-channel sound for it to encode it into DD Live?

Well I apologize. DD Live USED TO WORK and this is the Club 3D configuration pane for it:

But I cannot get the signal to switch to Dolby Digital anymore. Few months ago it still worked. Don't know what changed. I'm getting so tired of this life... why the hell doesn't it work anymore?

I was going to ask how I can, and if I can, get the sound of the game to be output as 5.1 channel surround sound to the receiver using DDL. Yet if the whole thing stops working to begin with, there is no point anymore. (It is outputting 2.0 PCM now).

The Dolby Digital test in the "properties" pane of the playback device actually succeeds. But after it succeeds, it switches back, and I only have 2.0 PCM.

Guess I ought to be rebooting to see if it makes a difference...

But anyway, this thing does work:

But I cannot actually set the thing to DD permanently anymore. And I just don't know why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page