Audio format with Ps4 Pro - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio format with Ps4 Pro

Str dh770 receiver, LG uh6035 tv, ps4 pro. That's my devices. HDMI's routed first to receiver then out to TV.

My Question is regarding audio format as I'm pretty confused. From what I've researched on here is you want your PS4 set to to PCM for lossless audio correct? Well how does the Receiver then know what decode? If everything is set to PCM, won't the Receiver output PCM to speakers? How would it know if I wanted let's say DTS HD Mastered or Dolby Digital? My receiver reports PCM(48khz) for everything. From what I understand that is not HD audio. And if the Receiver is somehow outputting DTS HD, how do you know for sure that it is? And yes my receiver is capable of DTS HD along with 4k pass through.

I would like my games/movies with best quality sound. I'm pretty sure games don't output DTS HD but I know my blue rays do!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddj85 View Post
Str dh770 receiver, LG uh6035 tv, ps4 pro. That's my devices. HDMI's routed first to receiver then out to TV.

My Question is regarding audio format as I'm pretty confused. From what I've researched on here is you want your PS4 set to to PCM for lossless audio correct? Well how does the Receiver then know what decode? If everything is set to PCM, won't the Receiver output PCM to speakers? How would it know if I wanted let's say DTS HD Mastered or Dolby Digital? My receiver reports PCM(48khz) for everything. From what I understand that is not HD audio. And if the Receiver is somehow outputting DTS HD, how do you know for sure that it is? And yes my receiver is capable of DTS HD along with 4k pass through.

I would like my games/movies with best quality sound. I'm pretty sure games don't output DTS HD but I know my blue rays do!

Thanks
If you are connecting your surround system via HDMI then you should select 'Linear (PCM)' for uncompressed audio such as Dolby True HD and the like. The 'Bitstream (DTS)' option should be selected if you are connecting to your surround by TOSlink (optical or coax) as it lacks the bandwidth to support PCM for more than two channels. PCM will send the lossless 5.1 or 7.1 audio to your receiver and your receiver will do the rest. You are just not going to get the fancy info on the receiver that it's dts HD or whatever the bluray is ouputing. Don't try to figure it out or understand it or it will drive you mad. If you are using HDMI to pass sound from the PS4 to the AVR then PCM linear will be the best sound option. That way the AVR is doing the decoding. The other options the PS4 is doing the decoding and sending that lossy sound to the AVR and then you get that fancy info on the AVR. So PCM Linear = best sound from bluray.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2017, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the response! Too late on the "driving me nuts" part lol!!

So simply put, every device should be set to PCM (including TV? mine has an auto or pcm audio out mode), then the receiver does all the decoding(no fancy lights, receiver display is still at 48kHZ PCM) and then everything will play lossless audio(ex. blu-ray has 7.1 dts hd MA soundtrack) !!??

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, from the knowledge I have always received/heard, PCM is decoded at the PS4,Bitstream is decoded at the AVR. My question is with the PS3, all you heard was to use PCM as it was best for the PS3. Now when I look around the web everyone, well most everyone, says to use bitstream from the PS4 and let the audio get decoded at the AVR. Unless you’re playing a video game then let the PS4 decode that (PCM). The reason why heard a video game set to PCM is because the PS4 will know where the sound should be and will decode properly there, but movies are already coded so it’s best to let the PS4 bitstream to the AVR and decode it in the receiver.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I would like to know if I’m right. Because I’m trying to figure this out myself
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you use VUDU or Blu-Rays with Dolby ATMOS you need to set it to bitstream as PCM will not work for ATMOS.

VUDU has some free ATMOS demos you can test with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page