Gaming on Sony X930E And Calibrations Settings for Video Games. No Input Lag - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Vagrant Pistol
  • 1 Post By jokesonme
  • 1 Post By jdean77

post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Post Gaming on Sony X930E And Calibration Settings for Video Games. No Input Lag

I've been gaming on the SONY X930E 55” now for 5 1/2 weeks. The TV was bought for gaming first and movie watching second from my Apple TV, streaming services and bluray 1080p. Before this TV I had the Samsung JU7100. My first 4K tv coming off a 1080p set I had for years. I like to calibrate my TVs by eye because I'm a fan of my games having a pop of color. For me, its always about getting some rich colors and nice contrast in the picture. So, I always calibrate my TVs with a specific look that I'm accustomed too. With the 930E though, I had new options these generation of Sony 4K TVs have that made me think differently; Especially with HDR gaming some what here (until HDMI 2.1 arrives we are in HDR infancy for gaming). Below you will read my experience with the set and two settings that could help you.

Lets talk about one thing every gamer is concerned about with this TV, INPUT LAG using Game Mode. I've been playing on XBOX 1 and Playstation 4 PRO online. The games I have tested are as follows; XB1 Online COD IW and MW, Black Ops 3, Halo 5, The Division, and Gears Of War 4. PS4 PRO Online The Division, Rise Of The Tomb Raider and Alienation. With these games I have had no issues with input lag. That was a concern of mine and should be for any gamer, casual or hardcore like myself. I'm very competitive so to me, its very important I have really GREAT input lag. My experience so far has been AWESOME. I have yet to experience any lag whatsoever. So anyone concerned with input lag here compared to lets say, the Samsung KS 8000, you shouldn’t have no worries. Unless Sony ****s up and releases an update that makes lag worse for gaming. That can be said about any manufacture but, with the way this TV set is selling, I would think they would want to only improve it with updates. So there you have it. No worries with lag using 'Game Mode'. If you do not use Game Mode, you will experience it. Yes, Game Mode does turn off some some assets/processing from what I see and have read online. This is no big issue really. With the settings I provide, you actually introduce some processing that some worry may introduce some lag. Do I have a way to test it? No, but my experience so far is that it hasn't affected my online gaming. Also, I'm running everything through my Denon 4200W receiver with one cable to Input 2 on the Sony 930E.

As for games I used offline to test out, they go as follows; XBOX 360 Bayonetta, Condemned, Zone of the Enders, Deadpool, Lollipop Chainsaw, and Outland. XBOX 1 MGSV, DMC, GOW Series, COD Series, Halo Series, The Evil Within, Strider, Child Of Light, and Tomb Raider. PS4 PRO FFXV, Resogun, Matterfall, New Machina, HellBlade, The Last Of Us Remastered, and REZ Infinite. To me, all the games looked fantastic running on this TV.

I will post some images to give you an idea of what you may get if you apply these settings. NOTE! These images are not a TRUE REPRESENTATION of what you will get with my settings. It's just used as an example of what I'm trying to show you. So, please don't judge the photos. JUST EXAMPLES. It's not just about bumping up the saturation and contrast up either. Anyone can do that. The settings I will provide have been from me gaming the last 5 1/2 weeks for hours. So much, I pissed my girl off. Been spending more time with my TV than her.

As I said in the beginning, I will have two different settings for you to try. The one I personally use and one for some that do not prefer the the color pop and are just looking for some thing a bit more toned down. My personal settings involve turning on 'Live Color'. Something many may not like as it bumps up the vibrance significantly. But I found a small tweak for that. In the photo examples you will see how it bump ups the RGB in the scenes. It’s something you have to get used too. Im not gonna lie either. In the beginning, I was turned off by it. I noticed it made my games look VERY blue and I prefer a warm look to my games as I do with movies, so in that sense, I treat games like that too. I didn't give up either and kept trying to tweak it to find a middle level with the reds and blues which was the biggest issue with Live Color. In the end, I found what I liked and works out for my set. I say that because the way these panels are pushed out, you never know what you are getting. My panel may have 20% more red than some one else or 20% more blue Etc. That’s why some people spend hundreds of dollars getting their TVs calibrated. With that said, tweak these settings to your liking. Everything here is subjective. Im not saying these are the best settings, but a good idea on how you can use all the options the 930E gives you for gaming. Also, these are the same settings I use for Xbox 360 and PS3, but with just a few different adjustments. Which is basically turning Live Color off, bringing the color up to 60 and the sharpness down to 50 or 55. I’ll mention it again in the settings post below. Also, through the weeks, I have tweaked some things like ADV Contrast, Local Dimming, X-Tended Dynamic Range, etc. Just to name a few.

Here are a few images of what ''Live Color' will do. These are examples and not a true representation of what it will look like on your screen. I did these so you can get a better understanding of what that feature does. It brings up the RGB scale pretty high; Blues tones and red tones especially. Its something to get used too. I used photoshop to try and get the idea I see when you use ‘Live Color’. As I said before, I didn’t like it at first but it looks better as the days go on. In fact, I can’t go back to the regular settings I had without Live Color now. It lacks color in my eyes. Something some have complained about with this TV. Now, Im not touting that these are the best settings for this TV. Everyone has their own preference and opinion. In the end, I just wanted to share my thoughts for any gamers that own this TV and are looking for something a little different than what they have or have come across as settings for this TV.

If you have a Sony X900E and wanna try these settings, go right ahead. Just remember that these were made with the 930E 55”. I don’t know what it will look like on that set, but since the TVs are from the same family (E Series), I don’t see why you shouldn’t try them for yourself to see what you get.

…and now My Game settings for the Sony 930E 55”. The first settings are the ones I use for my XBOX 1 and PS4 Pro (you can use it for PS4 also). The last thing I will say about my settings is to ALWAYS fix the brightness on the in-game options of all games that have that option available. An example is when it tells you something like this. “Make sure the letters do not appear on the third box”. You definitely want to adjust that. …and one last thing for The Division Players out there that use these settings or not. You'll want to go the settings menu, go to Visual and turn on 'Neutral Lighting'. Especially for dark room gaming. Thank me later.

VPs Game Settings For The Sony X930E With Live Color For 4k Gaming (1080p On Xbox 1) and HDR Gaming

Brightness - 20 (Change this to your liking and room lighting. I leave it on 20 for my room and I have bias lighting for when the lights are off) (This changes automatically to 100 for HDR Games)
Contrast - 90
Gamma - 0
Black Level - 50
Black Adjust - LOW
Adv Contrast Enhancer - Low
Auto Local Dimming - Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range - High

Color - 45
Hue - 0
Color Temp Warm
*Adv Color Temp (This is depending on your panel and can be different for your TV. But, try it to see what it does for you.)
R- Gain -4
G-Gain -2
B-Gain -5

*Live Color - LOW (Do Not Go Any Higher)

Sharpness 50-60 (You can play with this. My Preference is 55)
REALITY CREATION Manual
Resolution 10
Smooth Graduation MEDIUM
Video Options all set to auto

VPs Game Settings For The Sony X930E With Out Live Color For 4k Gaming (1080P Also) and HDR Gaming

Brightness - 20 (Change this to your liking and room lighting. I leave it on 20 for my room and I have bias lighting for when the lights are off) (This changes automatically to 100 for HDR Games)
Contrast - 90
Gamma - 0
Black Level - 50
Black Adjust - Low
Adv Contrast Enhancer - Low
Auto Local Dimming - Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range - High

Color - 60
Hue - 0
Color Temp Warm Or Expert 1
*Adv Color Temp (This is depending on your panel and can be different for your TV. But, try it to see what it does for you.)
R- Gain -4
G-Gain -2
B-Gain -5

*Live Color - OFF

Sharpness 50-60 (You can stay at 50 .My Preference 55)
REALITY CREATION Manual
Resolution 10
Smooth Graduation MEDIUM

VPs Game Settings For The Sony X930E For 1080P Gaming Upscaled to 4K

Brightness - 20 (Change this to your liking and room lighting. I leave it on 20 for my room and I have bias lighting for when the lights are off)
Gamma - 0
Black Level - 50
Black Adjust - LOW
Adv Contrast Enhancer - Low or Off
Auto Local Dimming - Low or Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range - Medium

Color - 60 or whatever you like
Hue - 0
Color Temp Warm or Expert 1
R- Gain -4
G-Gain -2
B-Gain -5

*Live Color - OFF

Sharpness 50
REALITY CREATION Manual
Resolution 10
Smooth Graduation MEDIUM

Hope some of you enjoy these settings and of course, change anything to your liking. I’ll still be playing around with more settings and will update this in the future. Looking forward to any feedback after trying these settings out for yourself. AGAIN Give the settings some TIME for you to get used to them.

"A Video Game Junkie At His Finest"
[1000+ games with 29 Consoles and counting]
Gamer Tag on Xbox and PSN: Vagrant Pistol

Sony 930E - Denon X4200W - Polk RTiA 7 - RTiA 3 - CSiA 6 - SVS SB12 Plus

Last edited by Vagrant Pistol; 09-09-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2017, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks for sharing this thorough settings guide.
I applied your settings but still everything looks dull compared to SDR.
I even applied more punch with some adjustments you can do to make the colors pop even more, still SDR looks so much more HDR than HDR itself. There is seriously something wrong going on with my TV that I would like to investigate further.

The pictures will not display the difference you witness in real life.
But you can tell that one has more vibrant colors compared to the other setting.

SDR has considerably more punchy colors, which I like.
HDR however allows you to see details where things are too bright.
In all fairness I couldn't care less about being able to see the sun in HDR when the colors appear so much more muted.
Perhaps it's just my preference that prefers unnatural colors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117646...posted-public/

Last edited by Alexander Pauli; 08-17-2017 at 01:35 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Pauli View Post
Thanks for sharing this thorough settings guide.
I applied your settings but still everything looks dull compared to SDR.
I even applied more punch with some adjustments you can do to make the colors pop even more, still SDR looks so much more HDR than HDR itself. There is seriously something wrong going on with my TV that I would like to investigate further.

The pictures will not display the difference you witness in real life.
But you can tell that one has more vibrant colors compared to the other setting.

SDR has considerably more punchy colors, which I like.
HDR however allows you to see details where things are too bright.
In all fairness I couldn't care less about being able to see the sun in HDR when the colors appear so much more muted.
Perhaps it's just my preference that prefers unnatural colors.

Yeah, I will say SDR has a bit more punch and thats why I recommend Turning Live Color Off. But, thats weird the you are not getting a good color reproduction on 4K. I'm gonna take some photos with my camera to see If can show you what it looks like on my TV with my settings on Live color and without.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Going to try these settings tonight! They are pretty similar to what I am running now (just finished Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 Pro yesterday) but I will experiment with Live Color and report back my findings as well. Thanks!
Vagrant Pistol likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokesonme View Post
Going to try these settings tonight! They are pretty similar to what I am running now (just finished Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 Pro yesterday) but I will experiment with Live Color and report back my findings as well. Thanks!

Nice. Wanna hear your feedback. Especially what it looks like on Horizon. Don't own the game, but I'm sure it will make that game pop a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 13 Old 09-02-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Will these settings work out with the regular Xbox One / Non 4k version?
post #7 of 13 Old 09-02-2017, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean77 View Post
Will these settings work out with the regular Xbox One / Non 4k version?

Yup. The first settings are the ones I use for Xbox One.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Pistol View Post
Yup. The first settings are the ones I use for Xbox One.

Cool, sounds good. I will give these settings a shot. I have been going off of the RTings calibration settings and then I try to calibrate via the Xbox One built in calibration tool and for some reason I cant get it. It seems very dark to me, like my older Sony 1080p TV looked better. I will these settings a whirl though and see how it looks. Thanks!
Vagrant Pistol likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-03-2017, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool, sounds good. I will give these settings a shot. I have been going off of the RTings calibration settings and then I try to calibrate via the Xbox One built in calibration tool and for some reason I cant get it. It seems very dark to me, like my older Sony 1080p TV looked better. I will these settings a whirl though and see how it looks. Thanks!

Remember to always set your brightness to your room or your liking. The RTings settings are dark and they are not based off of any real world gaming. At least I gamed on set for weeks and tried different options in the settings based on various signals, games and platforms. At the end of the day though, it's all preference for gaming. Also, make sure you setting the brightness via the game options. That's also very important and use Bias lighting in a dark room or when the lights are off. It's really helps.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-03-2017, 05:12 PM

I tried your settings and I only tried it with Battlefield I so far. It looks good but on the night maps it looks dark. Even though it is a night map i was getting shot in an alley by someone I didn't even see. I raised the brightness a lot and it still seemed kinda dark on those night maps. The one thing I could not get to change much on the Xbox calibration was the Sun part. The eye part I could not get the change by the brightens like they say but then the suggest the black level tweek, which worked. Maybe if I can figure out what with make the Sun portion calibrate I will be ok.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the effort you put into making this thread, really appreciate it!

I'm not sure if it's just my set.. but when I tried your settings, all the dark scenes in games appeared to have blue highlights - this was very apparent in Hellblade! I managed to get rid of this by changing the black level down to 44 and XDR to "Low" and left everything else the same (Adv Color settings didn't seem to make it go away). The overall picture is a bit darker with the lower black level, but I'd rather live with that if it keeps those bluish blacks away!
post #12 of 13 Old 09-04-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I tried your settings and I only tried it with Battlefield I so far. It looks good but on the night maps it looks dark. Even though it is a night map i was getting shot in an alley by someone I didn't even see. I raised the brightness a lot and it still seemed kinda dark on those night maps. The one thing I could not get to change much on the Xbox calibration was the Sun part. The eye part I could not get the change by the brightens like they say but then the suggest the black level tweek, which worked. Maybe if I can figure out what with make the Sun portion calibrate I will be ok.

Yeah. It's suppose to be dark in certain areas in games like that. If you bumped up the brightness and it was still kinda dark, maybe that's the way the level is meant to be played. The Last Of Us is dark in some scenes too, but it was made to be like that. Not bump up the brightness to see everything. You'll lack some atmosphere and tension in games that developers wanted you to feel. if you bump up the brightness, you are losing that aspect of gameplay.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-04-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.OW View Post
Thank you for the effort you put into making this thread, really appreciate it!

I'm not sure if it's just my set.. but when I tried your settings, all the dark scenes in games appeared to have blue highlights - this was very apparent in Hellblade! I managed to get rid of this by changing the black level down to 44 and XDR to "Low" and left everything else the same (Adv Color settings didn't seem to make it go away). The overall picture is a bit darker with the lower black level, but I'd rather live with that if it keeps those bluish blacks away!

Yup. That is the big problem with Live Color, but I was able to bring down the blue a little by tweaking ADV Color for my set. You could always bump up Warm to Expert 1 and it may help. Hellblade is where I noticed it the most for sure. I'll try what you did also and see if I can figure it. As I said, I'm still experimenting with options and I will update the thread.

Thanks for the feedback. Looking to hear what others have changed around to see if we can come up with something better.

Last edited by Vagrant Pistol; 09-05-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page