Poll: Are You a Home Theater Gamer? If So, What Platform or Platforms Do You Use? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you game in a home theater environment? And if you do game, what platform or platf
PC 187 40.56%
Xbox One (or newer) 164 35.57%
Xbox 360 (or older) 69 14.97%
PlayStation 4 (or newer) 197 42.73%
PlayStation 3 (or older) 84 18.22%
Nvidia Shield 14 3.04%
Nintendo Switch (or newer) 46 9.98%
Nintendo Wii U (or older) 36 7.81%
I use some other gaming platform 23 4.99%
I don't play video games on my AV system 41 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 64
HTPC for VR and true 4k gaming
PS4 and Xbox One for console-specific exclusives (Gotta have my Halo!)

Sony XBR75940D/ Yamaha RX-A3050/Samsung UBD‑K8500/Roku Ultra/PS4 Pro//PC GTX 1080 (SLI)/Oculus Rift/Harmony Ultimate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Gaming on a HT rig is the way to go.

I use xbox one with HT gear anchored by a pair of B&W 802 Diamonds. I also game on my PC in the office, which is hooked up to pair of Sonus Faber stand mounts.

I'm pretty much anti "computer speaker," probably because they all suck. Every time I see one of those gaming chairs with the built in speakers, I cringe a little.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE

Last edited by adrummingdude; 08-22-2017 at 09:56 AM.
post #33 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Htpc

I built an HTPC with an i5-7600K and an NVidia 1070. I play most of my intensive FPS games on my gaming PC but I have a plethora of controller games we play on STEAM on my 65" LG OLED65E6P and they look great. My brother was visiting recently and he played L4D2 in 4K on the HTPC and it played smooth as silk.

Wharfedale Jade 7, Jade C1, Jade SR, Arcam AV888, Oppo UDP-205, Kuzma Stogi/Stabi Reference, Aragon 8008x5, Aragon 8008ST, Indy Audio 8008

post #34 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
i wonder how much this will change when the new xbox comes out? i liked my PS4 more, but that fact that the new xbox will get closer to 4k graphics, handle HDR and UHD discs..... it seems like a no brainer. time will tell if it will be good enough to pull me from my PC (7700k, 1080ti).
post #35 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a PS4 (can't stand it) and XB1 (paper weight). I just use the consoles for sports games and couch coop.

The PC (1080 founders card) runs into the Predator X34 monitor...this is my bread and butter set up. I also have a Vive that I hardly use.

Was looking for a new TV for the Xbox Scorpio I pre-ordered. What do you guys think of the LG C7? It seems like the best all around TV available as well as gaming. I'm just a bit worried about the 21ms lag time, but all OLED panels have high lag it seems. This is after the latest firmware patch but is it good enough?
post #36 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Still rockin' my Day One Xbox One, but moved it from my 120" 1080p setup in the home theater to a Vizio P50-C1 in my bedroom. Pre-ordered the Xbox One X for the bedroom setup and then I'll put the Xbox One back in the home theater to cover some of the streaming services my Oppo doesn't have.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #37 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Liked: 10
Steam Link for my PC games, PS3/Wii for console, RetroPie for my classics
post #38 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
I have and use Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3 and PC. I've been slowly making where my PC lives a gaming room so I can have everything in there instead of scattered throughout the house.

My flabber has been gasted and my gob has been smacked. Anything else?
post #39 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
i7 PC for me. I have a 30" monitor and and nVidia 1070 that work pretty well together. I have a new UHD TV but haven't tried it for gaming yet.
I also have an older i5 computer running XP for when I feel like playing a few minutes of older games like Doom or the early Tomb Raiders.
post #40 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I own all 3 of the most recent consoles (Xbox One X ordered). Currently playing Horizon in 4K and HDR, and it looks gorgeous on my Vizio P75-C1 (which I can view from 6' thanks to a articulating wall mount). I have always owned a PlayStation, but strongly prefer Xbox (Live member since the beginning in 2002 ?).

I also ordered a Smyth Research Realizer A16 for God like surround sound. I have a Schiit Mimby>Saga>Vidar>Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands as my 2 channel system.

I currently use a Creative Sound Blaster X7 with upgraded Sparkos op amps for Virtual Surround Sound gaming. The A16 will do far more, especially with games that have Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, or any other 7.2.4 surround format.

Gaming actually gets me to upgrade my A/V gear. I bought my first HDTV because of the 360, 4K/HDR for the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Since I now live in a small Philadelphia apartment, a true surround system is out. The A16 has me more excited than any other purchase I've ever made. Atmos over headphones will be unreal!

I've been buying games on good sales for Xbox that are getting the 4K/HDR improvement (Dishonored 2, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, etc). I'll play through the PS4 exclusives until November 7th (Horizon, The Last of Us, MLB the Show, Uncharted 4).

The Nacon controller I just got, has the Xbox controller layout, and although corded, has improved my PS4 enjoyment immensely. I HATE the PS4 controller analog stick layout!

The end of this year will be amazing, as my two most game changing devices will finally be in my home. XOX and A16. I'll use my LTA MicroZOTL2 as the headphone amp, and Hifiman HE-X V2 for headphones (with several other headphones as options).

Just hoping XOX games get Atmos or DTS-X soon, to take full advantage of the A16.

Without question, this is the greatest time to be a gamer, especially if you can afford to take advantage of everything that is available!
Nayan likes this.
post #41 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Xbox One for me, looking forward to the Scorpio or should we say the Xbox One X (prefer Scorpio for the name)
VoodooGTS likes this.
post #42 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I returned my Elite Xbox One back to Costco as soon as I got Oppo 205 to play my blue ray discs. With a 3 year old daughter pulling my leg I was lucky if I could play 30 minutes once a week. I need to be able to sit for at least 2 hours at a time, otherwise I'd rather not play.

Waiting for X1X...but probably won't get it until that new awesome looking Anthem game gets released in 2018...by that time assassins creed origins will be like $15-20 bucks )
I used to get COD games on day one and took days off from work to play COD for 6-8 hours at a time...ahhh those were the good old days of COD...2007, '08, '09

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
PC: i7-4790K @ 4.5 GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7, 16 G RAM, GTX-970, SSDs
PS4 Pro
PS3
WiiU

LG 65UD9200 4K TV
Denon AVR-X4200W
NHT Classic Three main L-R
NHT Classic 2C center
NHT IC2 surround L-R
NHT IW2 surround back L-R
HSU STF-2 sub
post #44 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I game on PC, but I prefer gaming on the Xbox One S on my entertainment living room. Waiting on the Xbox One X.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170611_084516_001_resized.jpg (294.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by VoodooGTS; 08-22-2017 at 04:59 PM.
post #45 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Rios View Post
i wonder how much this will change when the new xbox comes out? i liked my PS4 more, but that fact that the new xbox will get closer to 4k graphics, handle HDR and UHD discs..... it seems like a no brainer. time will tell if it will be good enough to pull me from my PC (7700k, 1080ti).
Nope xbox x will have alot games locked at 30fps for 4k, and alot will just be smooth 1080P upscaled, your 1080ti 7700K will still blow away the xbox x, but i have ordered xbox x also still
VoodooGTS likes this.
post #46 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Started with 'Pong' in the 1970's I remember my uncle buying that 'console' and connecting it to a 13" black and white TV that was probably picked out of the junk pile. My uncle replaced some tubes and got the thing working again so we could play on it. Forward to Atari 2600, I think that was probably the next big evolutionary step.

After that I think PC gaming started taking hold. Commodore 64 was probably the 1st true 'PC' gaming system. My 1st computer was the Apple iie, got the 'double memory from 64 bits to 128, got 2 5 1/4 floppy drives, played games for years. I think soon after, PC gaming on the 8088's started to take over.

My 1st 'multiplayer' experience was in the mid 90's, where my friend and I connected our dial up modem to the University 'internet', and after some complex connections, played Doom against each other. What fun, playing on my 'orange' monochrome monitor, with the PC speaker for the volume. The fact that we could play against each other from different locations was such a novelty.

Got the N64. Played endless amounts of Goldeneye, Star Fox, Turok, etc. By then, I had the 32' Toshiba 'big screen' TV. Many of us AV enthusiasts thought it was better deal than the gold standard Sony Trinitron. Playing 4 player Goldeneye, with cardboard cutouts taped on the screen (when we were trying to be competitive) so we did not cheat and look at the other quadrant. Connected the console to the brand new 'surround sound' Sony receiver I had, and boom, the origins of 'home theater gaming' (but in the living room) started.

I missed the PS/PS2/Xbox era, primarily playing on the PC. Diablo, StarCraft, Half Life, counterstrike and the endless amount of 'really' good PC games emerged. The internet was gaining momentum, AOL being the main source of connecting people. Finally splurged on 'high speed internet' via Cox cable, and have not looked back since. PC resolution put Xbox/PS1/2 to shame. Get 'gaming speakers' and a subwoofer for the PC, and it rivaled console gaming even on the 'home theater'.

By then TV's were getting bigger, and after moving to Arizona, had a 'guys' night out with friends. Went over to a friends house (he was single), and he had a gaming setup. 65" RP 'HD' TV, Xbox, surround sound receiver, and he proceeded to load Halo CE, and PGR. It just totally blew my mind away. Big screen, big sound, and better yet multiplayer 4 player on screen or against 8+ over the internet. Thus the console era restarted.

Got the X360 on launch. Also got the PS3 at launch, as well as the Wii. Started 'building' a real home theater. 133" screen, my 1st projector was a 720p Panasonic. Massive VMPS RM40 speakers for the front, with 7.1 setup. Immersion was phenomenal. Many games were Dolby Digital. I remember playing the 1st Gears of War, and hearing the enemy running up behind me because of the 7.1 setup. Turned around quickly and blasted the shotgun sight unseen. Splatter. Took gaming to another level. The biggest leap forward was Xbox Live, and cross game chat with 8 person chat groups. Made socialization so much easier and much fun.

Kids started getting older, everyone had a Gold account, and everyone wanted to play at the same time, but the kids would fight if they played on the same console. Bought more Xbox 360's, put them all over the house.

Diablo 3 came out. Brought back memories from before the kids were born. Had to have it. Wanted my kids to share the 'experience'. Thus got a bunch of new computers. My home office basically has 5 computer stations, me, wife, 3 kids, and everyone has their own computer. Kids started playing Diablo 3, and it was great fun having them all in the same room, all playing together, but on our own screens. Got the Xbox One (actually got two of them at launch). Put one in the home theater, and the other I connected to my PC. 27" HD monitor. Kids started to prefer playing Xbox on my computer, complaining that there was too much lag on the projector, and the colors, contrast, as well as response times were better when connected to the monitor. Hard to argue with them. I moved the other Xbox One to one of the kids computer, and bought another one for my other son. Thus, up till today, we are playing in my office, Xbox but on monitors, but have sacrificed the 'home theater' experience.

So what to do? Just ordered a new Pre-pro. Looking at the box sitting in front of me, Onkyo PZ 5100 that just got delivered. Just placed an order for 4 new speakers, Mini Philharmonitor's that will be mounted at the wall ceiling junction for Atmos effects. Need to one day order a 4K projector (that one will be hard to sneak into the house without the wife noticing, lol). I am waiting for CEDIA before making my decision (but leaning towards JVC RS520).

With that setup, I suspect I will move back my single player gaming to the home theater and re-enjoy the experience. I will probably also continue to play on the 'regular' Xbox One on the PC monitors when I play with the kids.
michaellsv likes this.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #47 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 521
PS4 for me. I love the DS4 controller over the Xbox controller. I do own an Xbox One but it doesn't see as much action as my upstairs living room PS4.

While I do have a PS4 in my living room and one in my home theater I prefer to game in my living room on my Kuro plasma. I don't wanna waste precious projector bulb time while taking my time grinding levels in an RPG or exploring etc. I can get a bit dizzy from spinning around playing first person shooters on my 10ft screen as well. So all in all I prefer the PS4 on my 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma.

JBL Pro Cinema-JTR subwoofers-Sony SXRD projection-Elite AT screen-Denon AVR-Oppo BD player-Acoustimac panels-SeatCraft HT seating
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #48 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Rios View Post
i really don't think the 'performance' will affect many people's decision between pc or console.

it seems like the reasons people choose console are completely separate from performance, and no matter how good a console gets PC users will always be able to at least match it. it's not like pc's are going to stop getting better every week...

personally, i've never enjoyed PC gaming, as i'm always way behind the curve with hardware and this has resulted in pretty frustrating experiences in the past. with consoles, they may not be as pretty, but they are close to idiot proof. i can not play a game for 2 years, but still buy a new one and it'll work flawlessly on my dusty console.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #49 of 74 Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I used to play console games exclusively on a projector. Couldn't beat the immersion. But now that TVs are outputting HDR, I'm finally back on a TV again since HDR among projectors is pretty rare right now. After seeing the PS4 pro do HDR, it's hard to go back.
post #50 of 74 Old 08-23-2017, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Here's the question: Do you game in a home theater environment? And if you do game, what platform or platforms do you use?

Click here to read more, or simply take the poll located above this post.
While I have a PS4 for the exclusives, I also have a Steam link so I don't need to have my giant beefy gaming PC in the living room.
post #51 of 74 Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koguma View Post
While I have a PS4 for the exclusives, I also have a Steam link so I don't need to have my giant beefy gaming PC in the living room.
I'm currently trying to solve this problem. Need to be able to connect controller/keyboard/mouse but also connect to TV. Other people with PCs I am curious how do you have it connected to your HT?
post #52 of 74 Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have all systems since the NES currently set up on my home theater. External powered video scalers help with the legacy Nintendo systems before the Gamecube. For that system, I am lucky enough to have the component cables that were available direct from Nintendo during that system's reign to get 480P. Its becoming harder to find newer TVs and receivers that play nice with a NES or SNES.

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #53 of 74 Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvillago View Post
I'm currently trying to solve this problem. Need to be able to connect controller/keyboard/mouse but also connect to TV. Other people with PCs I am curious how do you have it connected to your HT?
The Steam link plays nice with a few controllers. The cheapest are the knockoff Wii Pro controllers you can find on sites like ******** or Banggood or AliExpress. They run about $15 each and are Ok for wireles controllers. Unfortunately Xbox One controllers have to be wired. The steam link has 3 USB ports, so you can connect a mouse and keyboard as well. It's a really elegant and simple solution and it can control any computer running Steam on your home network. We have 3, so the kids can choose their own computer.
post #54 of 74 Old 08-23-2017, 05:53 PM

-Use HTPC (i76700k and GTX1080) for virtual reality, connected at the same time to 4k / HDR / 3D TV and home cinema sound, and switching to my projector often too.
In these cases, for the main multiplatform games, except extremely competitive games.

-All consoles named in the survey and some more, for specific exclusives console games.
I use a somewhat complex but very orderly installation, with their corresponding switches.

Immersion is extremely interesting for me, when it comes to enjoying video games.
post #55 of 74 Old 08-24-2017, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I play games on my HT set up sometimes, which is a front projection set up (JVC DLA X3 currently), as well as my bedroom TV (Samsung PN60f5300), although I usually do it with controller friendly games on PC or console games when using these displays. I own a PC, PS4, xbox one, but I go with PC whenever possible, since virtually all cases I can get a better experience on PC, and I typically can get the "console" experience on pc anyway since most modern games support controllers. However, I use consoles when it's to play exclusives, is free via PSplus or is significantly cheaper than on PC, has no native controller support on PC, or with certain multiplayer games that have a much larger community of players on consoles (ex. COD, fighting games) or if there is a game that I want to play on a controller on PC, but has no aim assist, making it harder to compete with M&KB users (ex. overwatch).

While I enjoy playing on my ht, I find myself spending my gaming time more on my monitor, especially since the monitor I got is a 144hz monitor (Acer xg270hu), and the extra fps displayer really makes a difference, especially with camera pans done in many games. TVs and projectors today really should be offering 120hz support through HDMI by now considering that they manufactured many 120hz and above TVs and projectors over the years, yet it's usually desktop monitors that supported 120hz, and it doesn't help with many modern displays, especially LCD panels, still suffer problems with handling motion blur.
post #56 of 74 Old 08-24-2017, 07:32 AM

Liked: 11
I've always bought both systems but Sony really dropped the ball with the PS4 online network. It's just gawd awful and I stopped paying them for their lousy service. If they end up having a better disc player than the XB1X I'll get a Pro eventually. Looking at AVR's and TV's now...time to upgrade from my Sharp Elite and thinking an LGC7 / Denon AVRX2400 combo might be the best way to go. I can connect my 1080 card in the PC to both my X34 monitor and the AVR for sound...can't stand headphones.
post #57 of 74 Old 08-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have every console I own (except the Sega Master System) hooked up to my home theater, and I've done that since 2001 when I put together my first home theater. Being mostly (like 99.999%) a PC gamer, I tend to find myself playing at the desk more often (since December 2016) than the home theater via Steam Link... But I do play on an Asus 34" Swift ultrawide monitor (since December 2016) with the Logitech Z906 5.1 audio system. My PC could be considered a mini home theater. If Steam released a 4K Steam Link I might move back to the living room.
post #58 of 74 Old 08-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have only pc, I'm looking forward to buy PS4, i really want to play Nioh and Bloodborne
post #59 of 74 Old 08-25-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 54
PC primarily and Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Wii U and PS4 only for exclusives you can't play any where else.

PC Specs: i7-3770k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Don't care for 4k gaming resolution. Prefer ultra uber maxed out graphics with anti-aliasing at 1080p. 60fps minimum at all times is a requirement and graphics look very pretty with everything maxed out an anti aliasing anyway.

Oh and an Intel i5 (7th gen) NUC for the living room I just bought for all the Roms and Emulators (SNES, NES, Sega, Mame, N64)

[Home Theater] LINK
[Music Room] Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 Floorstanders | Receiver: Peachtree Audio Nova220SE
post #60 of 74 Old 08-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Here's the question: Do you game in a home theater environment? And if you do game, what platform or platforms do you use?

Click here to read more, or simply take the poll located above this post.
With somewhat limited resources our home theater gaming is based around an 8-year-old 50-inch Pioneer KURO plasma TV and a pair of 20-year-old Magnepan MG10 speakers with a Velodyne sub (can't remember the model number). They are fed from a home-built PC with an ASRock motherboard, Intel Core i5-4590 quad core cpu, 2x8GB G-Skill DDR-3 2400 RAM, and a GTX 1050Ti graphics card. Games from two or three years ago play smoothly on High or Very High settings while the latest games play on Medium or High. Smooth, non-stuttering response is the crucial factor in FPS games and the system manages that quite nicely. There's also a Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player and an old S-VHS recorder to play my old opera recordings from PBS. TV is sourced from a Silicondust HDHomerun Prime cable tuner (using a cable card from Comcast). All sources go to the Pioneer TV. Digital audio out then goes from the Pioneer to a Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC and thence to an old Rotel stereo amp which drives the speakers. I sit about 8 or 10 feet from the screen with a Logitech A360 wireless keyboard and mouse with the mouse on a little side table beside the chair. The PC runs quietly with no audible fan noise except when gaming hard, during which the Magnepan speakers completely drown out any audible fan "whoosh". In the past we had a Marantz AV receiver and some nice B&W speakers. We reverted to the stereo setup with Magnepans and enjoy greater clarity on spoken dialog as a result. It's an old system that can still crank out a big sound in our medium sized livingroom, and a bit of treble EQ ensures crisp vocals on everything. For music, we usually run it flat, no EQ.

My original gaming system consisted of a Panasonic MSX 64K (yes - 64K!) PC in the 1980s which was connected to a 26-inch color TV and fed by a Philips portable cassette player. The computer itself was a keyboard with the computer inside it. All games and other software were on cassettes. To run a program or game (only one at a time was possible) you typed Load "name of program" and hit the Enter/Return key. Then you pressed the Play button on the cassette and head for the kitchen to get a cup of tea or coffee. When you returned a couple of minutes later your game was ready to play. They were all DOS-based games coded to be compatible on the MSX platform. In the 90s I had a Nintendo system which did good service for a few years. Finally, in 1999 I got back into PC gaming with a Compaq PC to which I added the legendary Nvidia Ti-4200 graphics card. A couple of years later I built my own gaming PC and have built three more since then. As a product reviewer for an online computer parts store I receive some nice components from time to time, and this has helped me keep updating my gaming rig as well as my GF's PC. The results are sometimes amusingly skewed. For example, in order to review a $249 motherboard, it was necessary to actually build a new PC in order to test it. So, I removed her 2008 vintage Intel motherboard / Core2Duo E6750 cpu / 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM / Corsair CX-430 psu and replaced them with the new motherboard, some spare DDR4 RAM, and a $40 Intel dual-core 7th-gen Celeron cpu. Although it's laughable to combine a $40 cpu with an expensive motherboard, the system seriously outperforms her old setup and she'very happy with it. I even used the old components in a different case to build myself a "retro" gaming rig with a spare 120GB SSD on which I installed Windows XP and a bunch of old FPS and racing simulation games. This resides in our little home office room and has provided many hours of fun!

Last edited by southleft; 08-25-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added historical data
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
gamer , Gaming , playstation , poll , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page