Poll: Are You a Home Theater Gamer? If So, What Platform or Platforms Do You Use? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you game in a home theater environment? And if you do game, what platform or platf
PC 188 40.69%
Xbox One (or newer) 164 35.50%
Xbox 360 (or older) 69 14.94%
PlayStation 4 (or newer) 197 42.64%
PlayStation 3 (or older) 84 18.18%
Nvidia Shield 14 3.03%
Nintendo Switch (or newer) 46 9.96%
Nintendo Wii U (or older) 36 7.79%
I use some other gaming platform 23 4.98%
I don't play video games on my AV system 41 8.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 462. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 08-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 48
100% of my gaming is on my 135" PJ screen with 7.1 surround. 99% of the time I am playing PC games. I have a PS4 and an Xbox 360 but ... I kind of hate both of them. Every time I turn them on there's some kind of patch to deal with, and I much prefer mouse+keyboard to gamepads. The Xbox dashboard is also just a nightmare of ads and nonsense. And... I am way too cheap to pay for XBL Gold or PS+. PC multiplayer is free, like God intended.

The PJ is a Sony HW40ES which has a very nice 1080p image. I realize the PC world has moved on to 4k, HDR, and high Hz screens, but my big-ass 1080p60 display still looks great to me, especially if you max out AA etc. I do look forward to the day when I can get an affordable projector that can do all that jazz, but I'll be fine until that happens. I'm really happy with my Sony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 08-25-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not a fanboy of any MFG, but i have been playing more PS4. Just love their exclusives. XBOX for multiplayer though.
post #63 of 74 Old 08-25-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Here's the question: Do you game in a home theater environment? And if you do game, what platform or platforms do you use?

Click here to read more, or simply take the poll located above this post.
PS4 pro all the way in my setup, Also a PS3 so I can still play Motorstorm Apocalypse racing in 3D using my forcefeedback steering wheel...Pure gaming joy!

Motorstorm Apocalypse in 3D this game was ahead of its time and will MAX out the LF capabilities of your home theater subwoofer!

post #64 of 74 Old 08-26-2017, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
day one playstation and xbox with sweet surround. Scorpio on the way as One really needed an upgrade. might do 4k in a few yrs once everything is settled and hopefully they pay attention to gamers. Dad spoiled me by putting Top Gun on the 50" and big ass earphones.
was into pc gaming but it got away from me few yrs ago. was thinking of doing one again as games are cheaper and fun mods.

Cichlids are my HD
Technology is my hobby
PSN/LIVE: LaCoMBo78
post #65 of 74 Old 08-26-2017, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvillago View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koguma View Post
While I have a PS4 for the exclusives, I also have a Steam link so I don't need to have my giant beefy gaming PC in the living room.
I'm currently trying to solve this problem. Need to be able to connect controller/keyboard/mouse but also connect to TV. Other people with PCs I am curious how do you have it connected to your HT?
Have a vizio p65 connected to a htpc with a 1080ti in the basement. This is where I play most pc games on steam with 12 foot wired keyboard and mouse extension on couch. The htpc is connected via ethernet. Upstairs in livingroom have a steam link connected to xbox one wired controller and Sammy LCD. It outputs 1080p perfectly with no lag with both computer and link hooked up to ethernet connection. I originally tried wireless for link and it was terrible. Kids play all their single player platform games on the link. Never tried multiplayer on it but I'm a keyboard and mouse guy for all multiplayer games.
post #66 of 74 Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would choose any platform that used Doby Atmos or Auro 3D and 4k. HDR not so much.
post #67 of 74 Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
#PCMR

I've been a PC gamer since the first 8086 my parents brought home. That said, I have owned (or still own) every console except the Sega CD, VirtualBoy, PS4, Xbone, and Switch. The only handheld I ever owned was the GameBoy Advance. I generally only end up owning about 5-10 games per console and playing them to death. To date my favorite console games ever include:

Mario series (NES/SNES)
Mario Maker (WiiU)
Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Time Crisis light gun games (PS1/PS2)
Streets of Rage series (Genesis)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn)
Die Hard Arcade (Saturn AKA Dynamite Deka)
Perfect Dark (N64)
Vigilante 8 (N64)
WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (N64)
Halo (Xbox)
Fable (Xbox)
Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
Burnout Series (Xbox/360)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II (GCN)
Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (any version)

I could probably go on and include all the arcade games and such. As it stands, I'm currently building out my arcade cabinet with support to emulate all my favorite games from consoles and arcade as well as arcade-like PC games (Castle Crashers, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, etc.). For the games that can't be emulated well, I'll just connect the original console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54LOXR1V78
Having a M.A.M.E. cabinet would be nice, but I'd probably want the sit down style, like my mom's Ms Pacman game, or better yet, like the old Driving games, space permitting. As I've gotten old and crusty, my back bothers me from standing up leaned over for too long, especially being 6'4".
post #68 of 74 Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
Having a M.A.M.E. cabinet would be nice, but I'd probably want the sit down style, like my mom's Ms Pacman game, or better yet, like the old Driving games, space permitting. As I've gotten old and crusty, my back bothers me from standing up leaned over for too long, especially being 6'4".
That's the best part about building your own - you can make it however you want. I'm building mine with the controls higher than most arcades. Being just shy of 6'3" myself, it's got to be comfortable. Also, I'm making mine stick out far enough to fit most tall bar stools under it, so sitting is also an option for kids, shorter people, and for me when I get old and crusty. LOL
post #69 of 74 Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
That's the best part about building your own - you can make it however you want. I'm building mine with the controls higher than most arcades. Being just shy of 6'3" myself, it's got to be comfortable. Also, I'm making mine stick out far enough to fit most tall bar stools under it, so sitting is also an option for kids, shorter people, and for me when I get old and crusty. LOL
That sounds like a great idea; tall lives matter. I hope you post pics when you have it all done. May your gaming days be long and reasonably crust-free.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #70 of 74 Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Everyone should post picture of their HOME THEATER gaming set up! I had my PC hooked up to my Home Theater but It was a bit bulky and a bit of a eye sore in the living room.

Samsung 65" QLED
Yamaha A-1070
Polk Signature Series
SVS SB-2000
post #71 of 74 Old 08-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyVision View Post
I would choose any platform that used Doby Atmos or Auro 3D and 4k. HDR not so much.
Xbox One S and the Xbox One X should be perfect for that media. Supports Dolby Atmos, HDR, and play 4k UHD disk.

Samsung 65" QLED
Yamaha A-1070
Polk Signature Series
SVS SB-2000
post #72 of 74 Old 08-29-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooGTS View Post
Xbox One S and the Xbox One X should be perfect for that media. Supports Dolby Atmos, HDR, and play 4k UHD disk.
At this point, anyone on the fence about buying an Xbone should wait for the Xbone X. HDMI 2.1, HDR10/HLG/Dolby Vision, Atmos, UHD-Bluray, some actual 4K gaming capabilities, AMD FreeSync 2.0 support as well as improved framerates and resolutions for older Xbone, 360, and Original Xbox games. Of course, the price is double that of a Xbone S.
Dark Matter likes this.
post #73 of 74 Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I don't have much time to play games anymore so when I do it's one of two things.

1.) PC - Racing Simulator
2.) Xbox360 - Rock Band on occasion

System in action:

Nayan and Dark Matter like this.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 75" Sony XBR75X940E +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #74 of 74 Old 10-13-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Only using PC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement