Ps4 pro with 4k, HDR, and 5.1 together - having problems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-25-2017, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Ps4 pro with 4k, HDR, and 5.1 together - having problems

Hi everyone. Been fiddling with this for a while and seeking help.

For starters, I'm using the LG OLED65B6P, so that should support everything (yes, I went in to the tv options menu and activated ultra HE on the affected inputs). I've got a Sony STRDN1070 receiver, which claims to support 4K and HDR.

I recently got a ps4 pro and am trying to get everything hooked up.

First, I try to run HDMI from the ps4 to the receiver, and then receiver to the tv. When going to the ps4 video settings, under HDR, it says 2K only supported. Audio is fine.

Next, I run an HDMI cable from ps4 to the tv directly, and then an optical audio cable from the tv to receiver. The ps4 now shows HDR 2K/4K supported, but in the audio settings I can't do anything except 2.0 stereo.

So I'm kind of at a loss. Does optical audio not support 5.1 surround? Did I get the wrong receiver that can't actually support 4k HDR?

About to start the new Uncharted, and I'd rather have the 5.1, so I'm stuck in 2K HDR at the moment runnikng it through the receiver instead of the tv. Just put 400 bucks into the receiver assuming it was supported.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2017, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith0 View Post
Hi everyone. Been fiddling with this for a while and seeking help.

For starters, I'm using the LG OLED65B6P, so that should support everything (yes, I went in to the tv options menu and activated ultra HE on the affected inputs). I've got a Sony STRDN1070 receiver, which claims to support 4K and HDR.

I recently got a ps4 pro and am trying to get everything hooked up.

First, I try to run HDMI from the ps4 to the receiver, and then receiver to the tv. When going to the ps4 video settings, under HDR, it says 2K only supported. Audio is fine.

Next, I run an HDMI cable from ps4 to the tv directly, and then an optical audio cable from the tv to receiver. The ps4 now shows HDR 2K/4K supported, but in the audio settings I can't do anything except 2.0 stereo.

So I'm kind of at a loss. Does optical audio not support 5.1 surround? Did I get the wrong receiver that can't actually support 4k HDR?

About to start the new Uncharted, and I'd rather have the 5.1, so I'm stuck in 2K HDR at the moment runnikng it through the receiver instead of the tv. Just put 400 bucks into the receiver assuming it was supported.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Your receiver does have full 4k/HDR support. Double check if thats for every HDMI input and output and if thats what you're connected to. Then double check every setting in the receiver and make sure you have all video pass thru settings correct and no processing. You probably need CEC enabled so the receiver can communicate between the tv and ps4.

If you go the other way with optical, make sure your audio settings are bitstream and optical.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2017, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Ah, thank you! I found the HDMI settings in the receiver menu and activated 'enhanced' for the input that the ps4 is in. I knew I had to do that for the tv, for some reason it never occurred that I might need to do that with the receiver. Mystery solved! Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page