What Projector will support Xbox One X/Scorpio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Globespy

post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2017, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can spend up to maybe $7K but would prefer not to.
I have an 65" LG B7P that's nice but want to game in my theater room and of course a little 65" screen won't cut it.
I was really drawn to the epson 5040UB but it will not support the 4K output of the XB1X, just like it didn't for the XB1S.
Really a shame that they cheaped out with their HDMI chip - seems like a trend for manufactures to screw up great products to save a couple of dollars with a chipset that would future proof. I'm sure it's deliberate.
I'm fine with a unit that does the same kind of pixel shifting 'Faux-K' that the epson and I believe some of the JVC units do. It doesn't have to be native 4K.

Also, I have a 100" screen that I must be able to project to from between 14-17 ft with the location of my ceiling mount/wiring. So those short throw guys don't work.

With the new XB1X supporting the upcoming variable rate tech and HDMI 2.1 just around the corner, is it wise to wait and save money until new products come out that meet all the current failings in even they most expensive projectors?
I know not everyone games, but I've been an avid gamer for decades so it's at the top of my list

Appreciate help?
Haiej likes this.

Last edited by Globespy; 09-04-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've got the 5040 and an XB1X on pre-order. What do you base your conclusion on, that the 5040 won't support 4K from the XB1X?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globespy View Post
I can spend up to maybe $7K but would prefer not to.
I have an 65" LG B7P that's nice but want to game in my theater room and of course a little 65" screen won't cut it.
I was really drawn to the epson 5040UB but it will not support the 4K output of the XB1X, just like it didn't for the XB1S.
Really a shame that they cheaped out with their HDMI chip - seems like a trend for manufactures to screw up great products to save a couple of dollars with a chipset that would future proof. I'm sure it's deliberate.
I'm fine with a unit that does the same kind of pixel shifting 'Faux-K' that the epson and I believe some of the JVC units do. It doesn't have to be native 4K.

Also, I have a 100" screen that I must be able to project to from between 14-17 ft with the location of my ceiling mount/wiring. So those short throw guys don't work.

With the new XB1X supporting the upcoming variable rate tech and HDMI 2.1 just around the corner, is it wise to wait and save money until new products come out that meet all the current failings in even they most expensive projectors?
I know not everyone games, but I've been an avid gamer for decades so it's at the top of my list

Appreciate help?
I'm sure you've been looking at the 5040/6040 owner's thread but if I'm reading that thread right, the Xbox One S currently DOES output 4K to the 5040/6040. Now HDR is a bit more problematic with users having to do something else with HD Fury Linker etc.

I will say from personal experience that I hooked up the PS4 Slim (not the Pro) and was able to game in HDR w/ one of their game demos, Knack 2. Now you have me thinking I should fire up the demo again to check out what color space was being sent etc.

Also with my limited understanding of the issue, I wonder if the Xbox could output HDR to the Epson later via firmware update.

I game a lot and I'm in a similar place as you I think. It seems the consensus is that no projector (unless you're shilling out HIGH five figures) is going to do HDR decently because of the brightness problem. But even if I'm only getting 1080p upscaled on that thing, I'm happy - For me largely because of the lens memory and zooming for when I watch movies.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm currently gaming with this projector and an original xbox one, and am very pleased with the results. I'm actually posting this message with the XB1 right now from my recliner in the HT. Video is going through an upscaling AVR that is sending a 4K 60Hz BT.709 SDR signal to the Epson 5040ube over wireless hdmi. Of course HDR on this projector is going to be limited to 24/30Hz. Don't yet know if that setting will be available on the XB1X in game mode, but I think I can live without HDR for gaming.

I find that HDR for movie watching is bright enough on the 5040 in a light controlled room to still make it my preferred viewing mode when available streaming or 4K bluray (currently delivered by a Sony UBP X800).
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM

With your price range, it looks like the newly announced JVCs might beg your attention too. 18Gbps chip, it looks like lens memory and shifting, and also low latency modes.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldius View Post
I'm currently gaming with this projector and an original xbox one, and am very pleased with the results. I'm actually posting this message with the XB1 right now from my recliner in the HT. Video is going through an upscaling AVR that is sending a 4K 60Hz BT.709 SDR signal to the Epson 5040ube over wireless hdmi. Of course HDR on this projector is going to be limited to 24/30Hz. Don't yet know if that setting will be available on the XB1X in game mode, but I think I can live without HDR for gaming.

I find that HDR for movie watching is bright enough on the 5040 in a light controlled room to still make it my preferred viewing mode when available streaming or 4K bluray (currently delivered by a Sony UBP X800).
Just wanted to add my own followup... So I got my 6040 and my XB1S and watched Guardians Vol 2 UHD the other day and was able to get 4k/HDR BT.2020.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMackel View Post
With your price range, it looks like the newly announced JVCs might beg your attention too. 18Gbps chip, it looks like lens memory and shifting, and also low latency modes.
I second this. The new JVC's sound like exactly what you want. I personally have an Epson 5040ub. I debated getting the new JVC, but with the 5040ub only being $2,500, it was hard to justify the extra $1500+ just to get HDR gaming. It definitely outputs 4k though...not sure what your original concern is. Unless you are talking about full 4k/60/HDR gaming. You'll only be able to do 4k/60 gaming or 4k/24/HDR movie watching on it. Still a heck of a deal though, and I think it looks INCREDIBLE.

One thing to keep in mind with your budget though, especially if you're new to the projector world, is you're going to need a lot more than just the projector unit. I don't know the rest of your set up, so this might not be an issue, but you're going to want dedicated speakers and probably a receiver. That easily can soak up another $3.5k+ when all is said and done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page