If you want 720p don't forget ESPN football2k4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 70 Old 08-25-2003, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think this game is going to look beautiful and play outstanding.I played last years 2k3 that was 480p and it looked great on my 65 inch hitachi 65swx20b.I think this is a must buy.I can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 03:50 AM

Liked: 10
I've played a demo of 2k4 and it plays a lot like 2k3. Some of the added features are nice, but I've heard bad things about the first person football though. I guess if 720p and online football via XBOX Live are important to you, then ESPN would be the way to go. Although, I do think Madden is the better overall football game this year with the newly added Playmaker controls and the Owner mode. If you're just looking for some great football overall, I highly recommend looking into Madden(especially if you have a PS2 in order to get online play)
post #3 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Buddy,please don't go by the demo,I also have the demo and the demo is from may they have done tons of things since the demo also I bought Madden and I returned it Because it's just the same game.I think if you do your homework and look at sites that have videos of the game you will see the difference.
post #4 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

playmaker may be alright, but Madden overall is pretty poor this year. The computer outright cheats, if the computer wants to win it will. The pass defense is attrocious; i've seen DBs just run into each other. The running game isn't the best either. I'm hoping 2k4 will be much better than Madden because frankly i think it sucks at it's core.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Co-Op Gaming)

(Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #5 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 06:48 AM

Well, each person likes different styles of football. I've played Sega quite extensively in the past, and now I've decided to give Madden a try. From what I've played of it, I'm really liking it a lot. Not that I think the ESPN game is a bad game, I'm a big fan. I just think Madden has more offerings this year that I am interested in.

I have done my homework on these 2 games and EVERY game site/mag that I have read has said that this year's Madden is not only the best Madden to come out yet, but it's the best football game to come out yet. In fact, EGM had 3 different people review both ESPN and Madden and all of them ranked Madden much higher. Again, each person has different tastes, so I don't take reviews at 100%. But, from what I've played of Madden and what I've played of 2k4, I'm just more interested in Madden. I'm not knocking you if you prefer 2k4. It's your personal preference. Last year I enjoyed 2k3 more than Madden. This year I like Madden more than 2k4.
post #6 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 12:33 PM

ESPN Football will not be 720p
post #7 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 12:46 PM

Are you sure? Even XBOX magazine says it will be.
post #8 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 12:53 PM

On the demo disc that recently came out, Soul Calibur 2 is 720p, but ESPN is not. Could be because its a demo, but I would be surprised.
post #9 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 01:34 PM

I think it's because it's a demo. In the magazine that came with the demo disc one of the features listed in the magazine is 720p. I just don't think they enabled it in the demo.
post #10 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

It's not 720p on the demo but the game will be in 720p.Please guys don't compare a finished version of Madden to a demo that was done in May.I have read all of those reviews to but I will tell you that the reviews were not complete.THe game as of right now has not gone gold.This means that the game is not officially ready to ship, they are still tweaky it.
post #11 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Dschroll,I will tell you the best place to check about Madden,fever,espn is football-gaming.com.Check out the forum the blow out section there is a guy that has the copy of espn and he has 50 plus pages of questions asked about the game this guy is hardcore,he has done the same for madden and fever
post #12 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 01:53 PM

EGM doesn't put a review on a magazine unless it's the final product.
Also, while I concede that the game is unfinished in a demo disc, the demo is there to promote the game. The final product will have more features and such than the demo, but the demo should give you a good sense of what the game will look and play like. I like how Madden plays better than NFL2k4 demo. I also like how Madden plays better than NFL2k3. I think those 2 things are enough for me to decide that Madden is the version I would like to play this year. Add to the fact that reviews are coming in for ESPN and they are lower than Madden and I think I have a good idea in what I will get.

I will check out the site you mentioned, but my mind is pretty much made up. Simply because I have friends who already have madden and are waiting for me to get it so we can play online
post #13 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 01:59 PM

Dont forget that the reviews that you read from all of the major players, dont even consider HDTV or 720p. If the reviews are right on and it is close between Madden and ESPN, with Madden having a slight edge, the 720p support will put ESPN above MAdden for HDTV owners. Dont ya think?
post #14 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dschroll
but my mind is pretty much made up because I hate Bill Gates!
Just a joke dschroll :D
post #15 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 02:01 PM

From the reviews I've read, Madden is a much better game than ESPN in terms of football offerings. I would much rather have a better game than one that is in high def.
post #16 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 02:23 PM

Dschroll.. Where have you read that Madden MUCH better than ESPN? I have seen some reviews that give a slight edge to Madden. If the edge is slight or perhaps a matter of personal opinion, why would you not want to try both before making a decision? That is the advice you usually give. Also, if the edge is indeed slight, then as BenPlace points out HDTV 720p support would certtainly have to go into the decision, especially for us contributing to an HDTV forum, no?
post #17 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 02:30 PM

Read the latest EGM. Madden was getting scores like 9-9.5 out of 10. ESPN was getting more like 8's. While those aren't MUCH better scores, they're enough to sway my decision. Besides, as I said before, I'm not trying to say one person should get Madden over ESPN. I don't want to start a war on which is better. I just wanted to suggest Madden as an alternative. Each person has own personal tastes on football gaming. mine happen to conicide with madden this year.

Also, as I said before, I have several friends who already own madden and are waiting for me to join in. I definitely want to play them.
post #18 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 03:29 PM

Here is what EGM said about ESPN:

Bryan: Sega's football franchise trained it's guts out this off season. I welcome the new Madden-esque playcalling menu and the healthy injection of ESPN telecast elements into the game's presentation. Yet, even with these changes and enhanced running game, ESPN NFL Football remains second string behind Madden; it's franchise options don't stack up to Johnny boy's title. And while I applaud the attempt at first-person football, this so-called revolutionary feature is disorienting, not to mention boring, when you play any other person than quarterback. (Score: 8/10)

Ford: There's a lot to like about this game: Solid controls, the ESPN presentation, the cool fan close-ups, and the good(but repetetive) announcers. The first person mode, however, is a beautiful looking disaster. Manually swinging your view around or anticipating a blitz proves far too hard. Gimmick aside, the heart of this game delivers. (Score: 7.5/10)

Chris: Sega's ESPN is packed with goodness-most notably the ultraslick ESPN presentation, awesome eight-players-at-once online play, and snappy commentry. However, the unforgiving running game takes a lot of getting used to if you usually play Madden Still, a solid pigskin offering. (Score: 8.5/10)

These same 3 reviewers also reviewed Madden. I can post their comments if you like, but I'll just post the scores for now:

Bryan gave Madden 9.5/10
Ford gave Madden 9/10
Chris gave Madden 9.5/10

So, this is just to kind of give people a heads up on what reviewers are saying.
post #19 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Buddy ,I'm not hear to sell the game I will tell you that gameinformer gave it a 9.25 on xbox and madden a 9.00 on xbox.I will say that there is another guy at Operation sports that has a beta of the game and says that 720p looks incredible this is the news that I wanted to hear and also says that the game is great "WOW" please checkthis out this is great news the first football game in hdtv.Please don't go by reviews go by the hardcore guys like the one at operation sports and football-gaming.com they also have videos. Good luck and let me know if you found it.
post #20 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 06:35 PM

Well, I appreciate your concern, but again, as I stated, I'm not as interested in hi def football as much as I am about football gaming in general. When I get Madden, it will be for my PS2 so I can play online. Right there that makes Madden better on the PS2 than on the XBOX, especially since I don't have nor want XBOX Live service. Also, I've said before and I'll say it again....a big part of my reasoning for getting Madden is that I have 3 friends of mine who all have PS2s and have Madden for it. They all have network adaptors and are anxiously awaiting playing some football online with me. So, Madden is definitely my pick this year in terms of football. I hope you enjoy ESPN as I'm sure it's great. But, I've seen, played, and read enough about both Madden and ESPN that I have decided that Madden offers more of what I want out of a football game. ESPN offers some great things too, but I'm not interested in there features as much as I'm interested in Madden's. Nevertheless, please do let us all know how you enjoy ESPN when it comes out. I'm sure it will be a great game.
post #21 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Dschroll you seem like a stand up guy, can you do me two favors one check the sites I have been talking about two if you want real reviews please check videogamereview.com,these are people like you and me consumers that are rating the games and look at what must are saying about Madden. I'm not hear to change your mind, but Madden just has not made enough improvements to make me give them another $50.I really hope you can do this little favor for me you might learn something new about Madden and ESPN football.
post #22 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
EGM is fluff. I hate when magazines review unfinished games (EGM, Gamespot and especially OXM do this, it's true.) I like IGN a lot, made me give up almost all mags except for OXM, but I just get that for the info and the demos, not the terrible reviews.

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

post #23 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 07:55 PM

jiujitsu35,
I really do appreciate your concern. However, I have never purchased a Madden game. Maybe if I had purchased Madden 2003 I wouldn't think much of what got put in 2004. however, since I never owned Madden before, the improvements they've made are all new to me.

However, I bought NFL2k3 last year. So, the improvements that were made to 2k4 aren't enough for me to want to spend $50 on 2k4. However, Madden being an entirely new game to me does seem like it's worth the money as everything is new to me.

My main draw with Madden is playing my friends online. All my friends with PS2s already have Madden and are just waiting for me to get it. If I get ESPN, I'll miss out on getting to play with them.

Again, I'm not trying to go with what people tell me. But, I've really done tons of research on this and am really much MUCH more interested in Madden this year. I'm sorry if this upsets you as you clearly think that ESPN is the better game. I am a big fan of Sega Sports and their NFL2k series. I bought 2k1 on the DC and I bought 2k3 for my PS2 last year. However, this year I'm looking for something different in terms of football and Madden has peaked my interest more than others.

I will certainly take a look at those sites you mentioned just for curiousity's sake, but I've pretty much made up my mind and it's just a matter of time til I get Madden.

Please, let me reiterate that we all have our own personal preferences in football. This year, I prefer Madden. It's nothing personal against Sega or anything. I've just played 2k1 and 2k3 to death and am looking for something different and new. Madden offers lots of franchise stuff I'm interested in. Add to that that all of my friends have it and I would LOVE to play them online, and I'm sold. Sorry bud. Maybe next year I'll pick up ESPN.
post #24 of 70 Old 08-26-2003, 08:21 PM

nothru,
EGM doesn't review unfinished games. They've said this many times. I know there were a few times when a game was released before EGM reviewed it and the reason they said it took so long to review it is because the developer never sent them a finished copy so they had to go out and get one to review. Now, I'm not saying that EGM is the greatest in terms of reviews. Their mag has changed quite a bit recently and I'm not a fan of the changes. However, I still think it's the best game mag out there giving pretty accurate and unbiased reviews.

OXM has to be one of the WORST magazines I have ever read. I picked up my first copy of it this month to get the demo disc and read through the magazine. I will never buy that piece of garbage again. I felt like the writers in that magazine couldn't think of enough quality things to write about XBOX so they constantly had to bash PS2 in their mag to make up for their lack of writing skills. I'm sorry, but to waste valuable space on a magazine just to bash another console is very unprofessional and all it does is show everyone how jealous M$ is of the HUGE user base Sony has with the PS2.

Nevertheless, I also subscribe to IGN a lot. I like their site for the most part, but sometimes I think they tend give too generous of scores. EGM has been doing that lately as well. I'm all for promoting quality games, but there are some games that are getting way too high of scores for what they offer. Still, IGN does a pretty thorogh job of reviewing a game and they do lots of good articles and movies on upcoming games and such. I really enjoy their site.
post #25 of 70 Old 08-27-2003, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

i don't trust any reviews from magazines or majors sites (Ign, gamespot, etc). Companies like EA pay these sites for "Favoriable" reviews. Read message boards and listen to people that play the games. Better yet rent both before you buy and see which one you like better. Reviews are a joke anymore.

one other thing, i'm pretty sure the ESPN demo was running in 720p wide...i'll have to check when i get home...

(Co-Op Gaming)

(Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #26 of 70 Old 08-27-2003, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

No, I know for sure that the demo was not running 720p.It was playing in 480p,It is true what you are saying about reviewers.I played Madden 04 and Its' the same game as last year except that you can now price your hotdogs.This is why I like videogamereview.com because we are the ones that review the game.I will say be careful when you read some because there are some fanboys.
post #27 of 70 Old 08-27-2003, 06:30 AM

You're right. The demo was only running in 480p. I do check out videogamereview.com as well when I look for reviews on a game. I also look at IGN, Gamespot, and EGM to get more info and to look to see how different people rate the games. I also play tend to rent a game if I'm still uncertain after that.
post #28 of 70 Old 08-27-2003, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Not that I much care but something about reviewing a complete retail game against an older demo just doesn't seem reliable. Wait and see.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #29 of 70 Old 08-27-2003, 08:15 AM

Does anyone know if NFL Fever 2004 will be 720P? Thanks.
post #30 of 70 Old 08-27-2003, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BenPlace
ESPN Football will not be 720p
The final release IS in 720p...

Gregd33.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List