Closed Thread

post #151 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Big L
the #3 spot here and why threads like these (HOORAY for the Gamecube) are necessary. I don't see any "PS2 sales soaring" posts, do you?
Actually, I don't understand what's wrong with a thread like this. I come here all the time and about 90% of the time I see threads such as, Game X for XBOX is in 720p!!!, or Crimson Skies on XBOX Live rocks!!!. But, it seems whenever a GC owner wants to celebrate something, be it a fun game or a strong holidays sales, it almost always gets shot down with people bashing nintendo.

I don't understand the point of it. If you don't like the GC, that's fine. But, why go into a GC thread and start posting negative things about GC? If GC owners want to celebrate a good holiday sale by Nintendo, let them. If XBOX owners want to celebrate how great their console is, let them. The same goes for Ps2 or any other console out there. Ever hear the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all." I think many of us could use a lesson or 2 in common courtesy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by dschroll
I come here all the time and about 90% of the time I see threads such as, Game X for XBOX is in 720p!!!, or Crimson Skies on XBOX Live rocks!!!. .
Sums it up pretty well. There is a very distict difference in what we seem to see from GC fans and the average poster.

Usually people post about their latest PS2/XBox/PC game. What they like/don't like etc. Rarely if ever do you see anyone going gah gah for the sales of the systems or titles.

Most of us are just happy to play our games and share info with others. Then we have the GC posts.. they seem to be GAMECUBE IS THE BEST AND XBOX SUX! Not always as blatent as that, but there is a definite inescapable NEED to say every possibly positive thing about GC.

Also its a HT forum. Most of us are tech junkies. When someone ignores technology you have to expect some resistance.

Giving up video and audio quality is not common among HT enthusiasts. And claiming there is no loss to a group of people who spend a good deal of time with technology is also going to cause people to shoot holes in your opinions more often than say if you were in a "32" TV forum".

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #153 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone
Components do not = design. Nintendo designed all of its hardware in house untill the N64. Since the GBA is touted as a SNES portable, they probably did that as well, though they did not design the screeen.
Are you kidding me with this?

Here is an excellent article about how Nintendo DESIGNED their hardware for the Gamecube.

They did it just like Sony and Microsoft . . . they worked with others.

As far as unique design features . . .

Texture compression/decompression in hardware
Streamlined PowerPC for higher floating point operation
Smart Z-buffering in hardware
GBA connectivity
Final click on analog shoulder buttons
7 texture in one pass rendering
mini disc format
4 player out of the box (Sony doesn't do this)
Top loading
GameBoy Player add-on
eReader add-on

. . . and the list goes on

Trust me . . . you will see some of these features in futures versions of other console hardware as they catch up, just as Nintendo will grab a good idea or two from the other consoles (hard drive or larger memory cards!!! Come on Nintendo!!!).
post #154 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats an excellent article on how the GC was designed to use technology from other companies.

If I am incorrect and Nintendo hired the resources to design a new system (THe hired one of the designers form SGI that designed the N64 I read) I stand corrected.

Of course there is tons of custom featire sin the GC. While I doubt we'll see much of it in next gen consoles, we should see the video card features as ATI is producing the video card for at least two of the next gen consoles.

Perhaps we'll get lucky and get the GBA player for the PS3 or X2 :)

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #155 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone
Perhaps we'll get lucky and get the GBA player for the PS3 or X2 :)
Frank,

You're a good man.

You made me laugh for the first time today.
post #156 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 05:37 PM

Quote:
But your inclusion of the Gamecube makes my "fanboy alert" twitch just a little bit.
Mine's been twitchin' since this thread started.

Quote:
Actually, I don't understand what's wrong with a thread like this. I come here all the time and about 90% of the time I see threads such as, Game X for XBOX is in 720p!!!, or Crimson Skies on XBOX Live rocks!!!. But, it seems whenever a GC owner wants to celebrate something, be it a fun game or a strong holidays sales, it almost always gets shot down with people bashing nintendo.
Well it did start out as being celebratory and I must admit mine was the first negative post but it wasn't meant to be negative. I only meant it to keep perspective. The post seemed to make it seem like the console was doing really great but I read a similar article on IGN & elsewhere that said sales were typical after a console price reduction.
Sales like this would have made a big difference had they been conisitent since the beginning.

Also a word on this NINTENDO bashing you mentioned. I see people giving their opinion. No one here is saying Nintendo sucks, they are a poor game maker, etc. People are giving HONEST opinions and the reality is it is cutting the Nintendo fan in you deeply. The sad fact is the truth hurts.
These new sales figures are not going to make a huge difference, the software Library is not making Gamecubes sell as much as the price.

I'm sorry that Nintendo isn't number one anymore. I'm a Nintendo fan but I can also be honest. No one is insulting your mom here. It's a game system that Nintendo has made some very poor missteps with that put it in it's current position. If I rained on your parade I apologize.

I'm going to go look for the last few Nintendo threads and see if they turned to bashing as you say. I haven't seen this but then again, there aren't too many Nintendo threads despite the 'soaring' sales.
post #157 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Mine's been twitchin' since this thread started.
Well . . . duh!!! Just one look at the thread title and you know that there will be fanboys.

It has been a fun thread though. Interesting to see everybody's spin on this.
post #158 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 05:52 PM

Another thing, I have seen threads about other systems and people have jumped in with comments regarding other consoles.
I didn't know that you could not mention another console or offer another opinion and it would be regarded as not having 'courtesy'.
post #159 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 06:06 PM

Dean, I understand about people giving opinions, but felt as though this thread was getting way out of whack. I'm not saying other people haven't gone into other posts and made comments on other consoles, but it just seems that once a Nintendo thread starts it almost always ends in a simliar fashion. I'm not offended by you or by most. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and such, it would just be nice to make a post on something every now and then and not have it turn into a war between which console is better. My post was made in haste and for that I apologize. I was simply getting a little frustrated with the way things were going. I know Nintendo isn't number 1, and frankly I don't care. I just got tired of seeing the negative comments, be it about games not selling well, or nintendo not bringing anything to the table this generation or what have you. I know it's all opinions, but felt as though this thread never started out to be about Nintendo is kicking butt and everyone else sucks....simply that it was nice to see them get some more acceptance since it's at a good price and they released some key software.
post #160 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of us are just happy to play our games and share info with others.

Frank, I couldn't agree more. However, I think you're nuts to say that it's the Gamecube fans who put down other consoles and that the fans of the other consoles don't. It's all across the board, and it's all a bad thing.

Heck, just for fun, I suggest you look back on your posts in this forum and see how many Gamecube bashing posts you've made. I think we could all do with a little less of that.
post #161 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
Most of us are just happy to play our games and share info with others.

Frank, I couldn't agree more. However, I think you're nuts to say that it's the Gamecube fans who put down other consoles and that the fans of the other consoles don't. It's all across the board, and it's all a bad thing.

Heck, just for fun, I suggest you look back on your posts in this forum and see how many Gamecube bashing posts you've made. I think we could all do with a little less of that.
Personally: Bash, me? I think you are misreading my posts. I am among the first to point out that the GC fans are.. exagerating and ignoring techincal limitations, but thats hardly bashing.

I also am usually first to post when the GC fans drone on and on about the unsubstatiated but oft posted "NINTENO IS MAKING $$$ ON EACH GC AND M$ (How juvenile) IS LOSING $100-$200 ON EACH XBOX (they can never decide how much), but again I also post NONE of us know whom is losing or making ANYTHING.

You have selectively missed my posts on Pikmin, Zelda, Zelda Collection and how all systems have good games, as well as where I suggested (in two threads) someone buy a GC after they described what games there were interested in. Or where I suggested a PS2... but thats ok I have read your posts and know why.

I've been reading this board for over a year I think now and I cannot honestly say I see any regular poster who could be considered an raving fan for any system other than GC. And GC has at least two right now... I'd go as high as four if you count those who have the skill of posting with subtlety.

Frank J. Cone

post #162 of 170 Old 12-31-2003, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

[
Quote:
I've been reading this board for over a year I think now and I cannot honestly say I see any regular poster who could be considered an raving fan for any system other than GC. And GC has at least two right now... I'd go as high as four if you count those who have the skill of posting with subtlety.
People who have less to cheer about, usually cheer more when they have the opportunity. And it usually annoys the people who are used to some level constant quality. It reminds me a lot of the New York Rangers fans around here (NJ).

Steve
post #163 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spelosi
[

People who have less to cheer about, usually cheer more when they have the opportunity. And it usually annoys the people who are used to some level constant quality. It reminds me a lot of the New York Rangers fans around here (NJ).
well did the original post sound like a cheer?!!?

"Ign has an aritcle talking about how well the gamecube is doing this month. It didn't sell as many as the PS2 but came close and sold almost twice the amount over xbox. Also Mario Kart was the number one selling game on all systems and it was only out for 2 weeks of the month. I am a fan of gamecube myself so I find this to be good news."

it sure doesn't to me, all he states is there is an article about sales on all platforms and says he is a fan of the gamecube and considers it GOOD news. that's HARDLY cheering for it. now if he had gone on to say how much it was kicking butt and let's do the gamecube dance etc.. THEN I would say he was cheering for it. It's people like frank who downplay it as much as possible, and then of course you have some of the cube supporters having to fire back.
post #164 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well did the original post sound like a cheer?!!?
Did I reference the original post? I believe I referenced raving GC posters. You should stop and think about what it means when someone quotes something. It means that is what they are responding to.

Steve
post #165 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Not really anything else to ad here. Just wanted to post from my wirelss PDA!

Happy new years all!

Frank J. Cone

post #166 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 02:36 PM

It doesn't matter if it was a cheer, a statement, a shout or whatever. This is a message board. If you want to share good news with Gamecube only fans then go to a message board that is specifically for Gamecube.
This is a catch all console and PC game area that really is more for Home Theater fans. If I don't see a huge benefit to a system selling well and I want to bring that to the discussion well, that's what I am going to do.
post #167 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 02:36 PM

The next xbox is definitely going to have a hard drive. Its going to move forwards not backwards. Xbox live is ALOT more succesful than ps2 online when you compare percentage of live subscribers to total number of xbox's. Sony might have more subscribers but they also have sold WAY more systems. The money that microsoft is losing on the xbox is not relevent to them, if sony or nintendo lost that amount they would be crapping their pants but for microsoft its a drop in the bucket.
post #168 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The money that microsoft is losing on the xbox is not relevent to them, if sony or nintendo lost that amount they would be crapping their pants but for microsoft its a drop in the bucket.
Would Sony really be more taxed by the loss than MS? This is an honest question I am asking. I would think Sony has more money than MS. I could be very wrong though.

Steve
post #169 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisFB

Financial Information

As of 9/30/03 Microsoft holds:
$5.768 billion in cash
$45.854 billion in short term securities
(this is up from $5.552 and $37.872 respectively at 12/31/02)
With that kind of cash laying around, Microsoft could probably buy Sony.
post #170 of 170 Old 01-01-2004, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Well this post really has outlived itself. I will now close it before it even get more worse.

Thank you.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page