Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 170 Old 12-16-2003, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ign has an aritcle talking about how well the gamecube is doing this month. It didn't sell as many as the PS2 but came close and sold almost twice the amount over xbox. Also Mario Kart was the number one selling game on all systems and it was only out for 2 weeks of the month. I am a fan of gamecube myself so I find this to be good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 Old 12-16-2003, 08:35 PM

Agreed. This is good news. Glad to see more and more people are giving the Cube a try. It's a great system.

It still amazes me how well the PS2 sells. I thought everyone and their brother had one by now, but yet it continues to sell thousands per month.
post #3 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
for some reason as soon as I saw this post I knew dschroll would be the first response ;) .
--- Hehe ,
--- Jason
post #4 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 09:23 AM

My wife just bought a Game Cube for $75.00 at Wall-Mart. You cant beat that price and it even came with Zelda. I cant wait to play it. (Christmas Present) I hope it compares to the Xbox, which looks frigging amazing running at 720p on my Sammy.
post #5 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's been an underrated console for a long time and if you don't buy at this price you never will. Plus, it has some fantastic exclusive games (Star Wars variants and Nintendo proprietary come to mind).

The PS2 thing has me boggled too. At this point there really aren't many exclusive games, PS1 compatibility should be a wash this far out, and it is of known lesser quality (people on here debate about Xbox v. Gamecube all the time but hardly anyone promotes PS2 unless the poster is a big fan of console RPG games <horrible genre IMO> like Final Fantasy). The wonders of marketing.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #6 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 02:20 PM

From what I read, at this point it doesn't matter. It's related to the price drop & all consoles see a boost like this after a price drop.
post #7 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
From what I read, at this point it doesn't matter. It's related to the price drop & all consoles see a boost like this after a price drop.
It's true that the price drop had a lot to do with the Gamecubes recent success. But, it's definitely a good thing as the people who bought the system will more than likely be buying software for it, and there is plenty of worthy software for the Cube.
post #8 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Regardless of the reason GC sales have soared, it's good for Nintendo in the end. Last I checked Nintendo still makes a slight profit on game hardware at even the $99 price and more console sales mean more software sales which is also a good thing. The more hardware that's sold means that many more people are being exposed to the GC software which will hopefully spur future software/hardware sales. Also, Nintendo has been in second place in terms of worldwide console sales and are now solidifying that position even more by outselling the competition. Hopefully this will encourage some of the developers who have cancelled or have not made any games for the GC that it is a viable platform and will produce more games for it. Point is that whichever the reason for the GC sales surge, Nintendo benefits in the short and long run.
post #9 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Threads like this always make me chuckle. It smacks of "fanboy-ism".
My main question is, unless you're a stock-holder, why do you care how many Gamecube's are sold? You got your GC, now it's up to the software devs to come through with the goods. I have a GC and I don't care who does or doesn't have one, or how well it sells, now I need the GAMES. Since GC and Xbox are fighting for second place (at least in the US) it seems developers will most likely put out stuff for both. Plus, no matter how you slice it, the GC and the Xbox are WAAAAY behind the PS2 in terms of units sold.
Since folks here are "gloating" over GC sales, let's come at this from a different perspective. I think it's great the Xbox is giving the GC a run for it's money. That Microsoft's FIRST attempt at a console can compete with one of Nintendo's vaunted machines:rolleyes: is impressive. Oh yeah, that's right, AND the Xbox damn near costs TWICE as much. Impressive, indeed.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #10 of 170 Old 12-17-2003, 05:06 PM

Big L, I think you're misunderstanding things. I believe the reason people get excited about GC sales is because the better the GC sells means the more likely chance that more great games will get released for it. As you said, it's all about the games and I get excited knowing that more developers are signing on to make more games for the GC. I don't think anyone is "gloating" as much as people are excited for Nintendo since so many people have been down on them for a while now.

On a side note, I am quite impressed with the success the XBOX is having. It's definitely the most successful American console since Atari. M$ has done a lot of thing right with the XBOX and has shown the gamers out there that they do listen(i.e. switching to the S controller). However, there are very few companies that can get into the game market and take the heavy losses that Microsoft is with the XBOX. Nintendo would go bankrupt if they took the losses that Microsoft is taking.
post #11 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I received a Gamecube as a gift recently and I was using it to play, ironically, the old Zelda game.
post #12 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

i bought a gamecube when walmart had the classic zelda bundle for $80, and i got windwaker off of ebay for $14. I liked wind waker, but there aren't very many games that i really want for the 'cube that i couldn't get on the xbox, except for mario kart double dash, and all the future zelda games.

I would have bought a gamecube to play the sequel to the n64 smash hit perfect dark anyway, but now that microsoft owns Rare, perfect darks developer, the game would be on the xbox. However, Rare / microsoft seem to have disappointingly halted any development on a sequel.
post #13 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 07:48 AM

Statix, definitely check out Metroid Prime if you haven't already done so. That game is fantastic.

Also, many of the key members of Rare left the company as M$ was preparing to buy it and they went off and are at another company(Zoonami I think?) that is developing for the GC. I don't have a lot of high hopes for Rare right now, but we'll see. From what I've heard, Perfect Dark 0 will get pushed back to launch with the XBOX 2 since the current XBOX has an abundance of quality FPS games.
post #14 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 10:47 AM

statix your PD0 sequal is called Time Splitters 2 for any/all consoles (except gba). It's a FANTASTIC game and had MANY of the original top Rare people work on the game. It happens to make me dizzy so I can only play so much of it at one sitting, but it is DEFINITELY akin to bond on the 64 and PD0.

and yes dschroll, zoonami has many ex rare employee's and I'm SURE Nintendo knew why they let them go. there was a reason it took rare forever to release star fox adventures, and then to have to put me through the pain of playing that VERY average game. I had to FORCE myself to finish it, and I could have almost played it with my eyes closed it was so easy.
post #15 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Regardless of the reason GC sales have soared, it's good for Nintendo in the end.
What I'm getting at is that the increased sales are directly related to their price drop. I'm also saying that at this point in the console competition, the current increase in price sales is not going to make much difference to the overall picture.
Don't get me wrong by my statement. i'm not anti-nintendo. I would just assume back my SUV over my PS2 if it came down to a choice between the PS2 and cube.
post #16 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I still find it funny this console costs as much as a Gameboy SP. If you think they are making money per sale, you are lieing to yourself.

The Silver Screen Cinema
Co-Optimus (Co-Op Gaming)
The Weekly Release (Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #17 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 11:29 AM

You're absolutely right that the increased sales of the GC aren't going to catch it up with the PS2. The PS2 has already declared victory in this gen's console competition, and rightly so since just about everyone has one. Still, these increased sales are important to Nintendo now and in the future. First of all, the increased sales help keep their investors happy and helps Nintendo make more money so they can invest in future hardware/software. Second, the more people that get exposed to Gamecube, the more likely they'll be to buy Nintendo's next console. For instance, if a person wasn't planning on buying a GC and then buys one because it was $99 and totally loves it, then that person is that much more likely to snag Nintendo's next console. Equally so, that person may not like the GC and choose not to buy Nintendo's next console. But, at this point, I believe Nintendo is counting on people buying the hardware for cheap and then hopefully let the games speak for themselves.

Also, the next gen consoles won't be coming out til 2005/2006, so there is still a lot of life left in this gen's consoles. That means developers will still be determining which platforms to develop for (if not all of them) and it's good for Nintendo to tell those software companies what their user base is to help motivate them to develop for the GC. It also encourages Nintendo to keep developing for the Cube rather than giving up on the console and focusing on the next console. Remember the lack of N64 titles in the last days of the 64? I don't want the same thing to happen with the GC. I'd like to see quality games keep coming out for it well into the beginning stages of the GC 2.

My point is that I feel that these numbers are good for Nintendo's current picture and their future picture. Even though GC will never catch up with PS2 this gen, it helps consumers gain confidence in Nintendo and will hopefully have a positive effect on Nintendo's future console sales.
post #18 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gameboya
I had to FORCE myself to finish it, and I could have almost played it with my eyes closed it was so easy.
It could have been worse. You could have been playing Grabbed by the Ghoulies :)
post #19 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 12:17 PM

I have a GC (along with an XBOX,PS2, Dreamcast...100 DC games and counting) and I bought it for Nintendo's games. That's the problem. Sales research confirms this. GC owners buy Nintendo games and not much else. Resident Evil Zero is the only non-Nintendo GC game I own. I get the Xbox version of every game if it's not exclusive to the PS2 or GC. That's why 3rd party dev. houses have stopped making games for GC. Nintendo isn't going much of anyware if they can't reverse this trend. I also think Nintendo needs to branch out more when it comes to their own games. As much as I like Mario .... I'm getting a little tired of Mario this and Donkey Kong that for the 1000th time! Pikmin and Animal Crossing were a nice start, but they are still cute kiddy games. I'd like to see some of that talent used for adult games!

Sony 34xbr800
Samsung TS-160 STB
Radio Shack indoor double-helix HDTV antenna
RCA RT2500 700-watt receiver
Sony HDR-SR11 HD camcorder
Xbox 360
PS3
post #20 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the problem. Sales research confirms this. GC owners buy Nintendo games and not much else.

No, research doesn't confirm this. No, GC owners don't buy Nintendo games and not much else. Any sales chart shows a mixture of 1st and 3rd party games. Current best sellers are Rogue Squadron from Lucas Arts, Viewtiful Joe from Capcom and MK: DD from Nintendo.

That's why 3rd party dev. houses have stopped making games for GC.

No, they haven't. Yes, some minor developers have stopped making GC games, and the major developers don't port all their games to the GC. The same could be said about all the consoles. But the fact remains that all major 3rd party developers are making games for the CQ. Why people take time to post such incorrect impressions as fact baffles me.
post #21 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 01:20 PM

Soul Calibur 2 I believe has sold more copies on the GC than it has on other consoles.

Unfortunately many of the 3rd party companies seem to make games for the XBOX and PS2 in mind and then give the GC bad port and wonder why it doesn't sell. Then that leads them to make even less games for the GC.

Nintendo seems to be courting some of the major 3rd party companies though and collaborating with them. Hence Soul Calibur 2 had Link in it, Sega helped develop F-Zero, Namco is working on the next Star Fox, Capcom is rumored to be helping with the next Zelda, Konami and Nintendo are reamaking Metal Gear Solid, etc. Nintendo was supposedly known for not treating the 3rd party companies very well but it seems they are working on that now that they've seen how much 3rd party software matters. I'm looking forward to see results of some of those collaborations.
post #22 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 01:49 PM

Nintendo's problem is that they still look at video game consoles as toys and not entertainment IMHO. For example, their ponderous and apparently apathetic view of online gaming doesn't help any.

FWIW, I do own a Gamecube as well as a Xbox, but probably own four times as many Xbox titles.
post #23 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 01:58 PM

See, I disagree. I think Nintendo views videogame consoles as entertainment for the entire family, or a group of friends. Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to focus mostly on gaming in Japan rather than gaming in the US and UK(which are the bigger gaming markets). Online gaming is not very big in Japan as it is in the US and UK, hence Nintendo being somewhat standoffish to it. Also, in Japan many people love the different colored casings on their consoles whereas in the US and UK black/silver seems to be the preferred color.

The main thing is that too many people in the US and UK equate Nintendo with kiddie games, which it's not. There is a big difference between games that are designed for kids and games that are designed for everyone. Unfortunately many people don't see this and hence Nintendo is still struggling at getting accepted by more adult gamers.
post #24 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Soul Calibur 2 I believe has sold more copies on the GC than it has on other consoles.
Not really surprising since on the other 2 consoles games like SC2 get lost in the shuffle, while the GC, IMHO, doesn't have too many third-party games of Soul Calibur's caliber.
Somebody else touched on this before I could, but I think Nintendo's stance on online gaming will hurt them in the long run. Online gaming is the future whether you like it or not and if the big N doesn't jump in soon, they're gonna miss the boat. Personally, ever since getting Xbox Live, I don't even CONSIDER getting a game with no online play UNLESS it's really exceptional.
But like dschroll said
Quote:
Nintendo seems to focus mostly on gaming in Japan rather than gaming in the US
Since they know where their bread is buttered, don't think they give a damn whether you buy a GC or not. To them, Japan is the turkey and we're just the gravy.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #25 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 03:42 PM

My biggest problem with the Gamecube is the same problem I had with the Nintendo 64. Where are the games? The library is still pretty weak and great games are far and few between.
That is why I traded the N64 back in the day for Satanstation.

Saying that Soul calibur sold more copies on the cube than any other system is like saying the local soup kitchen goes through more bowls of soup than the busiest restaurant in town.
Cube owners are starving to death.
post #26 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Cross platform games are made with PS2 in mind. Not PS2/XBox, not PS2/GC, but PS2. The exception to this rule is Splinter Cell.

It only makes sense. No matter what a company does the game they make will sell more on PS2 than either of the other two. The only exceptions I have ever seen on any NPD list is Splinter Cell and Soul Calibur. And both games will probably eventually see higher sales on PS2 eventually. There is no getting around the massive amount of consumers that have a PS2.

I am still puzzled how dropping a console to bargain basement prices validates a system in any way. Consumers judged the Gamecube as not worth $199, they judged it unworthy at $179 and $149 as well. When it hit $99 it started to sell. Um.. its $99... Nintendo was able to sell more SNES's at $199 than they could move GC's at $99 in a holiday season. And the market is twice the size today than in 1990.

Personally I think MK would have helped spur sales this holiday season, but as it stand it certainly looks like the system took off exactly when the Dreamcast did: $99.

Under a hundred bucks is a magic price point for many items. While the majority of us here probably have higher end progressive scan DVD players... guess which ones sell better? Its not the $399+ ones.

Price sells. If you are a gamer and you want the best games, or the most games or the most variety.. price is not important. You buy what meets your desires. Well the GC did not meet very many people's desires.

But cut the price to under $99 and you have an item that sells to mom and pop casual consumer. They are more concerned with buying Jr that system and a game for XMas. They have no clue or care what the lineup is.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #27 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 04:25 PM

Excellent post, Frank.
post #28 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 08:32 PM

what's your point?
post #29 of 170 Old 12-18-2003, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big L I have to say that if you only buy games for online play you are missing out on a lot. I agree online play is fun, but its not the end all beat all. Many games are just as fun if not more fun just sitting down and playing by yourself and couldn't be done online. I would never want zelda online I don't think but it is still one of the best games I think.
post #30 of 170 Old 12-19-2003, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am a BIG fan of online gaming. I think almost any type of game could be translated to a better online experience. Zelda would make a fantastic co-op experience. More complex puzzles that required teamwork would be fantastic.

I think we are still (even after all these years of PC online games) in the infancy of the online experience. Most online games are still simply multiplayer versions of single player games. While this works GREAT for shootters.. its not developed enough for adventure and RPG games, or platformers for that matter.

Hopefully MS or EA (the only two companies investing in any real online) will branch out from sports and shootes next generation.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page