Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 71 Old 06-15-2004, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"If Riddick would have had an anywhere save system like Invisible War it could probably be completed in about 6 hours."

Anyone else think this sort of thing is probably intentional? They KNOW they've made a short game so they leave out a save-anywhere feature to artificially prolong the game's length?

That kind of thing bugs me, but I have to say, nine times out of ten I WISH games were shorter. I rarely finish games these days because I simply lose interest after a few weeks. I would MUCH prefer a shorter game that stayed interesting and fresh all the way through to a long game that starts to feel stale halfway through ...

From what I hear, Id has concentrated on making Doom III memorable as opposed to long, so that's another reason I'm really looking for a return trip to Hell ...

People of California! The moment will soon be here when you will ALL be sorry for what you have done to me! Your time of reckoning is growing near. Your cities will lie in smoldering ruins, your women will be ravished. Your men will cry bitter tears. You will ALL feel my wrath.
Yeah, that's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 06-15-2004, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I read that Riddick uses some of the same effects that will be used in Doom 3. I pray that the graphics aren't as brutally jaggy and low res in Doom.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #63 of 71 Old 06-15-2004, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Dean, if you put Deus Ex in your top ten Xbox games then you obviously have very Xbox games or didn't play the first one. I have more to say but I'm tired and forgot.
post #64 of 71 Old 06-15-2004, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nothru22
Dean, if you put Deus Ex in your top ten Xbox games then you obviously have very Xbox games or didn't play the first one. I have more to say but I'm tired and forgot.
Could you do me a favor? Please do not insult my opinions in the future by making assumptions like this. I thoroughly ENJOYED Invisible war. Just because it is not on your top ten list doesn't mean it should not be on mine. I guarantee you I have more XBOX games in my library and have rented and played more games than the average person.
Not to mention I have a PS2, Gamecube and a top notch PC gaming rig.
Some of my other favorite Xbox games include Ghost Recon, Kotor, Halo, Max Payne, James Bond (the newest one), Castle Wolfenstein,Price of Persia, Full Spectrum Warrior, & Crimson skies.
All of the games listed INCLUDING DEus EX IW have rated at least an 8.5 or higher by MOST web review sites and popular game magazines so I don't see why that is so hard to believe.

I judge a game by how compelling it is and if it keeps me returning until I complete the game.

I played the first Deus EX game and honestly I found it a bit dull and was never compelled to finish it.

Again, NOTHRU, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Gray Davis, Yes I believe some games purposely have a save system to elongate the game play largely in part because of rental stores. Obviously they don't want you to complete a game in one rental cycle.
post #65 of 71 Old 06-16-2004, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin

Gray Davis, Yes I believe some games purposely have a save system to elongate the game play largely in part because of rental stores. Obviously they don't want you to complete a game in one rental cycle.
Riddick has a health regeneration system. A swift one at that, certainly the game would be faster with save anywhere since you could dispatch one enemy, save, get around one corner save.. always continuing with a full bar of health. Does anyone really have fun "inching" their way through a game like that? I imagine it would completely destroy the designers intended flow of a game.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #66 of 71 Old 06-16-2004, 08:12 AM

In some cases Frank, I would say no. Some games that have an anywhere save seem like they are made really difficult so that you are constantly pressing that anywhere save button.
With Invisible War, that was not the case because the game was very investigative and adventure oriented rather than mostly action oriented.

The reason that I like saving anywhere is because I want to stop playing at any moment I choose. One thing I really don't like is having to continue playing beyond what you want because you are looking for a save point.
post #67 of 71 Old 06-16-2004, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

"The reason that I like saving anywhere is because I want to stop playing at any moment I coose. One thing I really don't like is having to continue playing beyond what you want because you are looking for a save point."

Can we say "coose" here? Isn't that slang for .... ?

I totally agree with you, Dean. Back in the days of 8 bit and 16 bit gaming the most frustrating thing was to get to the end of a long difficult level, die, and have to start over from the very begining again. Now that we have a console with an actual hard drive, NO game should force you to replay parts you already beat.

People of California! The moment will soon be here when you will ALL be sorry for what you have done to me! Your time of reckoning is growing near. Your cities will lie in smoldering ruins, your women will be ravished. Your men will cry bitter tears. You will ALL feel my wrath.
Yeah, that's...
post #68 of 71 Old 06-16-2004, 12:16 PM

Lol, I fixed it. You know, it really depends on how good the game is...:D
post #69 of 71 Old 06-16-2004, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
It's fun when people get riled up so easily. DSchroll can take a little ribbing now and then. I always joke with him about liking Mario Sunshine even though in reality I think it's a horrible game that Nintendo stamped Mario onto to make a payday.

And Deus Ex 2 is so incredibly dumbed down I'm amazed any reviewer gave it over a seven. Sure it looks great and has cool physics, but it's incredibly easy, incredibly shallow, and they took away nearly all the stuff that made the first one cool. It's so stupid that there's always three ways to get into any one area, always the same three, and if you don't always choose the free vent, you're stupid. With DX2 it's like they said "you people are morons, here is your game!" I like playing mindless games but not when they're packaged up as a "realistic RPG hybrid." Just the awful destruction of a good game franchise into a hand holding easy easy easy crapfest.

But hey, the story's good.
post #70 of 71 Old 06-16-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
It's fun when people get riled up so easily.
So you enjoy posting things that rile people up? I don't see how your post can be interpreted as ribbing. I can't determine your emotion from text alone. A wink face would have helped there.

Quote:
I'm amazed any reviewer gave it over a seven.
Yet I haven't seen a review that was less than an 8, so obviously you are in a the minority.

Quote:
It's so stupid that there's always three ways to get into any one area
Most games have one way of doing something & are even more linnear.

Quote:
but not when they're packaged up as a "realistic RPG hybrid.
Maybe that's why I liked it because it Wasn't so much an RPG but an adventure. As far as the physics go, I had fun just interacting with the environment. And there's nothing wrong with mindless fun.

Anyway, back to the Riddick discussion. This thread isn't about Deus Ex. Or is it?

----> ;)
post #71 of 71 Old 06-20-2004, 04:15 PM

Just finished Riddick, and while I think it's a great game on the whole, is it me or are the end credits longer than the whole game itself?!?
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page