post #91 of 120 Old 07-07-2004, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally posted by kyungkim
Overrated means hyped up games that were crappy.
To me "overrated" means exactly what is says ratings (reviews and consumer/public sentiment included) that exceed the actual quality of the game.

The term overrated in most people's vocabulary has nothing to do with heavy pre-release promotion and poor final product quality. I call that a "flop".

The argument that Halo is overrated is valid only if one does not make the distinction betweek console and PC gaming. For consoles it is the best FPS bar none and has held that crown a quite a while (making the hype and huge consumer following and sentiment very applicable). However once the entire realm of PC games are brought into the picture it is just a good FPS - nothing more (making the hype/sentiment seem totally blown out of proportion).

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 07-07-2004, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think maybe some of you just don't really like FPS games. Halo is a great FPS, and easily had the best control of any of them on the Xbox. Then there's the graphics, AI, and physics. Yeah, some of the later levels aren't so inspired and do get repetitive, but that's been covered to death, but the gameplay itself is what makes it so good. I can honestly say that Halo 2 is without a doubt my most forward looked to game, for both the single and multiplayer. And that feeling has nothing to do at all with ratings or hype.

Then again, there's the other great ones, like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, which i also really really want, and will buy them without question or hesitation. I still play Rainbow Six 3 all the time, and want Black Arrow, if only for new maps alone.
post #93 of 120 Old 07-07-2004, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

To me over-hyped/overrated have alot of crossover. If a game sells very well, but sucks, isn't it overrated? The two games that I say were very overrated in these terms were:

1. True Crime Streets of LA: Sold great, lots of hype, but was not good.

2. Enter the Matrix: Most places rated this thing poorly, but run-up was incredible. In all the previews we were told how awesome it would be. Written by Matrix creators, actors voices, movie footage, 1080i for XBOX. And it was bad. Horribly buggy fighting system.

My opinion on Halo. Comparing FPS on consoles to FPS on computers isn't fair. You don't compare dinner steak to Fillet Mignon. Halo was THE console FPS for 2 years. Only Half-Life on PC had greater staying power than Halo in this generation of games and consoles. It took MS 3+ years to lower the price on Halo.
post #94 of 120 Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM

sullivbt,

You're definitely right about Metal Gear Solid 2's storyline, design, and hype. Although I didn't mind the gameplay at all, in terms of stealth, the storyline was one of the worst, most ridiculous, and confusing stories I've ever witnessed in a game. What was it, the Lee-La-Lay-Loo-Lo? Seriously, who does that?!
post #95 of 120 Old 07-07-2004, 03:46 PM

MGS2 is perfect for this category... the game was atrocious. Pretty rare for a sequel to come out following a phenominally successful hit like MGS and completely miss its attempt to capture its target audience. I played the first MGS through multiple times on psx and then again on pc when it finally arrived. I stopped in disgust part way through MGS2...

MGS was a military themed action/adventure with several well designed boss battles and gritty and entertaining character model, then comes MGS2 and starts off well enough... except before I know it I'm some wussy guy fighting a vampire? The characters in this game are so badly casted that you are checking to make sure you didn't accidentally load a disc that contained a demo of mgs2 followed by some type of a Harry Potter game.
post #96 of 120 Old 07-08-2004, 08:53 PM

I have to agree with Halo. I liked it and I think it's a good game. I don't think anyone is saying it's a terrible game. I think what most people are trying to say is it should have had a few points deducted for the flaws. Instead of a 9.8 or whatever it got, it should have been like a 9.0. The middle levels were a drag. I remember several times thinking that somehow I got turned around and was going through the game backwards because I was seeing the same things that I had just passed, then I realized that I was going the right way and things were just repeating. It was almost like deja vu. They would have been better off just taking this out of the game. It might have been a little short but it wouldn't have got boring. Still a good game though.

I keep hearing about how great the multiplayer is but I don't have anyone to play against so I don't know. I have been tempted to plug in the second controller and try to play against myself just to see what the multiplayer is like, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I figure that's only one step away from getting a blow up doll.

The other one that I agree with is Splinter Cell. This should have been a great game that was completely ruined by the checkpoint system. The beginning of a new level was great. Exciting and suspensful. Then you get killed and you go back and redo it except this time you know exactly where everyone is and what they're going to do. It quickly turns into mindless repetition until you make it to the next checkpoint. This completely ruined the game for me as 80% was boring repetition. I was disappointed when I found out the new one had the same stupid system. I ended up buying it but haven't opened it. It's the only game that I own that hasn't been taken out of the wrapper. I'm still not over the bad taste in my mouth from the first one.

They should have went with the save system that Rainbow 6 has. Three saves anytime you want in the level. This prevents someone from saving every 30 seconds but also eliminates a great deal of the boring repetition. A good balance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally posted by jspratley

I keep hearing about how great the multiplayer is but I don't have anyone to play against so I don't know. I have been tempted to plug in the second controller and try to play against myself just to see what the multiplayer is like, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I figure that's only one step away from getting a blow up doll.
You can also use tunneling software on a networked PC to play Halo via system link over the internet (you should have broadband and PC must be wired to the router not wireless).

Check out www.xbconnect.com. You do not need a modded Xbox or any other aftermarket stuff.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #98 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 07:07 AM

wow, that looks interesting. I have my computer wired into the router but my xbox is connected wirelessly. Will this still work?

post #99 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 10:05 AM

What about counter-strike on xbox ? That was pretty hyped - all my work buddies kept telling me I have to get it. Man, does that game suck (IMHO)
Single player is dreadful and online is just ok - lots of other online shooters are better.

I think PGR2 is pretty overrated. I love that game online but the only reason to play single player is to unlock cars so you don't get smoked online. (can't believe I paid 5 bucks for paris pack..... just to get the the 12 cyl I was never going to unlock)

Sims - way overrated. My wife loved sims on PC but xbox and ps2 killed sims for her. Also, I got her to play Halo co-op with me and she never played sims again
post #100 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Parasite Eve 2 for the PS1
Driv3r - quite possibly the worst game I have ever played. Horrible controls and even worse gameplay.
post #101 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 193
FYI - I was reading in Game Informer magazine and they had a list of the top ten games for the month of february. Halo was #7. This included PC and console games.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #102 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDKing
Parasite Eve 2 for the PS1
Driv3r - quite possibly the worst game I have ever played. Horrible controls and even worse gameplay.
Are those games over-hyped or over-rated?
post #103 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 01:27 PM

Yeah, the multiplayer in Halo is really where all the hype and accolades come from. Do yourself a favor and find a few guys with Halo and an Xbox and check it out. It really does amaze me, that the game's been out so long, and there are plenty of alternatives, but everytime I go play with a few guys where we link up a couple Xbox's, we could swithc to something else, but never do. I literally played Halo multiplayer with 7 other guys last night from like 9:30 to 2 am and it never gets old.

Forget about the single player. Beat it once or twice and your'e done.

The only other games I can compare it to for multiplayer on the Xbox, in terms of pure longevity and addictiveness are Project Gotham 2 and Rainbow Six 3 when you play them online with some good people.

Now, while I do think the GTA series is pretyt fun, it's nowhere near reaching all the hype that's surrounded it, in my opinion. I just don't see it as a 'must-have' or 'system selling' franchise, like it's been made out to be. I have the double pack for the Xbox, but have only played it maybe an hour. Seemed pretty fun, but then I just hopped back online in Rainbow Six and haven't touched it since.
post #104 of 120 Old 07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I love the single player for Project Gotham. It makes me hate other linear racers. I've never played a single player game as much as PGR2 besides capcom fighting games.

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

post #105 of 120 Old 07-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Halo bashing has become and internet message board favorite as of late.
Couldn't agree more...

OK, if no one else is saying it, I will! HALF-LIFE !!!:eek:
I missed the craze the first time around. But I bought the Platinum Collection (HL, CS, Opposing Force, Team Fortress, Blue Shift) last year and, I gotta tell ya, I'm NOT a big fan of this game. I just don't get what all the hoopla is about. I've played it for about 10 hours TOTAL (which is rare for me, I LOVE video gaming:D) and was completely underwhelmed.
My main 2 gripes: I wasn't really interested in the story and I didn't care what the hell happened to Mr. Freeman. Now, when I don't care about the main protagonist and I'm not "buying" into the story...we have a problem. I mean, I CARE about what happens to the Master Chief or Ding Chavez. Heck, I even cared about B.J. Blazkowicz in Wolfenstein, but I don't give a damn what happens to Gordon Freeman.:(
All that being said, you better believe I'm getting Half-Life 2.;)
I guess I can see why people loved this game when it came out 5-6 years ago or why it got "Awarded Game Of The Year by over 50 publications", but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #106 of 120 Old 07-12-2004, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

wow, forgot about MGS2, and for good reason. What a POS.

(Co-Op Gaming)

(Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #107 of 120 Old 07-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Driv3r is VERY overrated and overhyped. It was delayed an extra year because Atari wanted to destroy the GTA series. More than 4 years in development and 30 million dollars netted gamers one of the worst video games ever. That's not saying much because Atari has been churning out some really POS games recently.

Enter The Matrix
Shadow Ops : Red Mercury
Driv3r
Terminator 3 movie based games
Stuntman
Superman

I could go on for hours I think
post #108 of 120 Old 07-14-2004, 11:10 AM

SPLINTER CELL!!

I don't even consider this abomination of crap they call a video game. This was COMPLETE and UTTER toss!! It's funny when people constantly talked about how technical it was. And that's ALL it was, a freaking technical demonstration of a new "video" engine. WHO CARES!! The AI in this game was worse than Bible Stories on the NES!! Even Bible Stories had more SOUL than this crap.

This has got to be the #1 most over rated over hyped pile of steaming cow dung I have ever played!!
post #109 of 120 Old 07-14-2004, 11:37 PM

I have to agree with MGS2. It was an okay game with a awful story. It was pretty over-hyped. Although not really hyped at all... Soldier of Fortune 2 for Xbox was pretty bad. I played the first one on my Dreamcast and it was okay. Played it through to the end. It had horrible loading times. SOF2 on the Xbox has bad level design and terrible graphics. I think the SOF1 on the Dreamcast looked better. The first game I ever bought that I stopped playing only a couple levels in. I'll get the nerve to beat it someday.

As for Halo. I love it. I don't think it was really overrated. Overhyped?!? A little. I think the perception of it being overhyped came from the fact that it was talked about in every gaming magazine, every month in some way for the entire year before it's release. Just about anything (games, movies, cars, etc) that is covered for a year before it's release almost always fails to live up to the hype.

I expect the PC gaming crowd to dog Halo. Games on PCs are better looking and far more suited for cutting-edge FPSs. But PCs can have the latest CPUs, GPUs, tons of memory, huge hard drives, etc. A top graphics card is $400-500 bucks. That's enough to almost buy 2 Xbox systems (at the $300 launch price when Halo came out). It's not a fair fight to compare PC games with a console that has 64Mb of total unified system memory. My graphics card has double that and it's only for graphics. How would an Xbox with basicly a Geforce 3 level chip that has to share 64Mb of memory with everything else in the system compete?

Although I have a computer, I prefer console games cuz they are on a consistant platform. Computer games want horsepower. There are so many possible bottlenecks in a computer. Better have the right combo of hardware or your gaming won't be up to snuff. It's a crap shoot. Consoles...... everybody has the exact same pieces of hardware. Smooth sailing for the most part.

I also prefer playing FPSs with two sticks then with the keyboard/mouse combo computer FPS users can't seem to live without. Also it's easier to just layback and play on the couch with gamepads. The key/mouse combo has you sitting in front of your computer screen. Not very relaxing.

Sony 34xbr800
Samsung TS-160 STB
Radio Shack indoor double-helix HDTV antenna
RCA RT2500 700-watt receiver
Sony HDR-SR11 HD camcorder
Xbox 360
PS3
post #110 of 120 Old 07-15-2004, 10:34 AM

MGS2 was the most overrated garbage of a game ever.
I also didn't get what was so great about Far Cry.

I disagree with the whole "Halo is only great to console gamers" mantra. I've played nearly every FPS there has ever been console and PC, and the only FPS that can hold a candle to Halo's polish, control, epic feel, and especially AI is Half Life. So you are welcome to your opinion of how great Halo is or isn't, but don't try to belittle those that enjoy the game by trying to lump us into the "you just don't know what a REAL FPS is" group with PC elitest crap.
post #111 of 120 Old 07-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Well it took you guys long enuff. Where were you halo defenders last week? I thought i was losing my mind, trying to defend one of the best games ive ever played. (pc or console)
Halo's good sh1t.

MGS2 sucks, could never get into the lousy controls.

Big L, as for halflife, what do you expect 6yrs after the game was released? I mean that is an eternity in the gaming world. Had you played this game back in 98, you woulda been blown away.

So many components of HL was incorporated into newer games you cant appreciate the innovations in the game now.

K
post #112 of 120 Old 07-15-2004, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Manhunt

sneak up and kill but it gets tiring when you have to do the same thing for about 20+ levels..i guess people got carried away because it's from Rockstar Games and has violent executions
post #113 of 120 Old 07-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Big L, as for halflife, what do you expect 6yrs after the game was released? I mean that is an eternity in the gaming world. Had you played this game back in 98, you woulda been blown away.
I don't think so... I'm a big fan of other FPS', from Wolfenstein 3D to Quake3 Arena to Battlefield Vietnam. And as far as Half-Life being 6 years old, there's plenty of games OLDER than that I still love to play.
What can I tell ya, HL just doesn't do "it" for me. So to me it's over-rated.

Quote:
So you are welcome to your opinion of how great Halo is or isn't, but don't try to belittle those that enjoy the game by trying to lump us into the "you just don't know what a REAL FPS is" group with PC elitest crap.
VERY well said.;) Take that "PC elitest"!!!:D

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #114 of 120 Old 07-16-2004, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Just got the new Game Informer magazine. Halo was the 12th best selling game for the month of May. That's out of all console and PC games.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #115 of 120 Old 07-16-2004, 10:27 AM

Woah, somebody reall hated Splinter Cell, yeah? I guess you've never played Pandora Tomorrow online. Splinter Cell, in my opinion, creates the most realistic feeling of tension I've ever seen in a video game, and the controls are great.

I haven't played enough of it to be a true judge of character, but I don't really see what the big deal with the GTA series is. You're really just running around beating up people in a poorly animated/neanderthal sort of way. I don't see it as a system seller though, that's for sure.
post #116 of 120 Old 07-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hollismb
I haven't played enough of it to be a true judge of character, but I don't really see what the big deal with the GTA series is. You're really just running around beating up people in a poorly animated/neanderthal sort of way. I don't see it as a system seller though, that's for sure.
I'm not a GTA nut, but GTA III and VC are pretty fun. I can understand (and to some extent agree) why GTA would be put in the overrated bin. However, in context from games that came out before GTA III and games that came out after GTA III, you can clearly see the influence the game had on the industry.

The notion of a free, open game where you can almost do anything you like was a pretty unique one. By putting that into an adult (not sophomoric) game it is pretty unique.
post #117 of 120 Old 07-16-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

A game can have one or more really good, innovative ideas and still be an overrated game. Eawil mentions that GTA popularized the notion of an open, free-roaming environment, and that is true. It also had absolutely top-notch audio, from the music to the voice acting.
However, it was still, in my mind, overrated, like I wrote in the opening post of this thread. It should have been an 8.5 game; instead, it got 10s and everyone acts like it is the greatest thing since Pong.
Another example is Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Don't get me wrong, this was an excellent game -- probably a 9.2 or so. Again, it seemed to always get 10s. From the reviews, I was expecting the heavens to part and a choir of angels to start singing when I started it up.
post #118 of 120 Old 07-16-2004, 12:35 PM

Other than EGM, I didn't remember seeing 10's as a common score for WW.
post #119 of 120 Old 07-17-2004, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of GTA, I feel the GTA Double packis overrated. It got 9 or 10 on every review. It was always "2 great games, only $50." But the games were old by then. I bought the DP, and I liked the game GTA3 OK, but couldn't finish Vice City. It was the same game but with celebrity voices and a better soundtrack. But when the DP came out, it's graphics, although upgraded for XBOX, were still poor for the time. Also, there were several driving games, many shooters, and a couple of fighters that were all better. I thought these 2 games didn't do any one thing well and did the shooting and fighting absolutely terribly.

I'm not diminishing GTA3 or VC on PS2. They were very innovative games that broke gaming into the mainstream. But the XBOX iteration of these games is way overrated, imo.
post #120 of 120 Old 07-18-2004, 09:49 AM

1. Baldur's Gate

I understand the appeal, but man, I was bored to tears about 2/3rds through. It was just too long, repetitive, and tedious. Plus, the story felt a little too "canned" with all the scripted events. Felt like I was being led by the nose. Hailed as the best RPG ever when it came out. Sorry, but Wasteland takes that hands down.

2. Warcraft 3

Major hoopla by all the reviewers. Yet, I find Warcraft 2 and Starcraft to be more engaging and fun. Most people I talked to felt the same thing.

3. Bionic Commando

To this day I do not understand why this game got such a cult following by the NES crowd. It was not even half as cool as Ninja Gaiden.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page