Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much superior will a Doom 3 running on a PC look than on an Xbox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That would depend on the PC..... I bet if you're running the minimum requirements, the Xbox version might actually look better.
post #3 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Consider 480p/i vs. 1600x1200. Granted, I'd rather play games on my couch in front of my big screen than my desk but there is no comparison here no matter what some of the morons say (who seem to keep quoting that the Xbox version will be the same as the PC version). If Doom3 can push cutting edge PC hardware then there is no way an Xbox can play anything but a very graphically diluted version. That said if you turn off all the goodies on your card and in the program and run it at 480x640 then yeah - aside from frames per second they might be pretty comparable.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #4 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 AM

Well, I said that with the thought that running it on the minumum specs might require a lower resolution, or some of the effects turned off. I don't think the Xbox version will be lacking in the effects though, just the resolution and some detail.

And also, isn't Doom3 supposed to be locked in at a certain max framerate on the PC? I read that somewhere, but it might have changed...
post #5 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisFB
Consider 480p/i vs. 1600x1200. Granted, I'd rather play games on my couch in front of my big screen than my desk but there is no comparison here no matter what some of the morons say (who seem to keep quoting that the Xbox version will be the same as the PC version). If Doom3 can push cutting edge PC hardware then there is no way an Xbox can play anything but a very graphically diluted version. That said if you turn off all the goodies on your card and in the program and run it at 480x640 then yeah - aside from frames per second they might be pretty comparable.
You could hook up your PC to your big screen though (assuming you have the right inputs of course). Far Cry looked great on my X1 at 800x600 with AA on.

Jim
post #6 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 10:06 AM

I bet you any money the pc version will be lucky to be running at anything above 30fps if they decide to really try and keep it as close to the PC version as far as textures etc.....

PC version will completely obliterate the xbox version. Not to mention KEY/MOUSE combo > xbox controller.
post #7 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
On the same display (HDTV), with a good HTPC, the PC version will blow the Xbox version away. I have Halo for the Xbox and downloaded the trial PC version. Both look great on my Samsung 43" DLP, but with 1280x720 resolution and the textures turned onto medium even, the PC version looks way better. Trying to balance the visual-to-framerate thing is hard though, because you want it to look really good, then you get in a room full of enemies and the thing starts chugging (I'm on a P4 2.8GHz w/ 512MB RAM and an nVidia GeForce 5200 Ultra). If I could get the PC games, I'd play them more. But I'm more of a console gamer (Xbox controller is great for Halo - hard to get into using the keyboard to do all the functions I have on the controller, especially sitting on the couch with the keyboard on your lap and the mouse on the cushion next to you).
post #8 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Granted I'm not a big PC gamer, but I don't get the comparisons of a keyboard/mouse being better, more ergonomic, etc. than a controller.

Understandably, you're familar to the keyboard/mouse, but the learning curve is far greater and usability options are lacking (as pointed out in the previous post).

Jasman
post #9 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

The mouse is better than a console style controller for aiming a gun. I don't know any gamer who plays both consoles and pcs and prefers the console controls for FPS genre titles (and I know a lot of gamers like that ;)). I prefer the keyboard because there's more buttons, easier to circle strafe while doing other things, etc.

With a controller, I'm using my thumbs for almost everything. With the xbox, I'm using my thumbs for everything but two buttons. I have four other fingers that are much more dextrous than my thumbs ;) Using a controller is good for things like flying and driving, but for everything else the keyboard/mouse combo gives you more options and a greater degree of control.

Oh - put the mouse pad on a thin, large, hardcover book, put the book on a firm pillow, put the pillow on the sofa cushion next to you ;) Works great for me.

As far as the topic goes, no contest, pc will always look better unless you have a dinosaur loaded with crapware. The xbox was dated when it came out, and has only been aging since. It's not ugly, but it's no match for an htpc, not by a loooong shot.
post #10 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 01:20 PM

Looks like the minimum specs aren't so mimimum after all:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

Quote:
For those of you that think you are not going to have the hardware that you need to play DOOM 3, the fact of the matter is that many of you will be just fine, although an upgrade may still be in your future. As of this afternoon we were playing DOOM 3 on a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 box with a GeForce 4 MX440 video card and having a surprisingly good gaming experience. Even a subtle jump to an AMD 2500+ with a GeForce 3 video card that is two years old will deliver a solid gaming experience that will let you enjoy the game the way id Software designed it to be. That fact alone should let many of you know that you will not be left behind in experiencing DOOM 3.
That being said, assuming you ran Doom 3 on your television at 800*600 resolution, locked at 30 FPS (the same as the Xbox would), it probably would still look marginally better than the Xbox version in terms of lighting and texture detail, depending on what settings you had. So, yeah, the PC version will most definitely look better, but that's not really what consoles are about.
post #11 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 01:27 PM

I am actually building a PC right now and am debating which system to get Doom 3 for. While it's very tempting to get it for the PC, the XBOX will have a co op mode via XBOX Live, which is also tempting. I'll most likely go with the PC version as it will look a lot nicer :)
post #12 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Hollis the Xbox's resolution is 640x480, not 800x600.

And I am both a big gamer on my computer and my xbox and I much prefer the Xbox controller to a mouse and keyboard. It's so much more comfortable. When I play UT2k4 for even a short while my wrist and shoulder hurt. Never with a controller (maybe my thumb but hey.) And I know people tend to exaggerate when trying to prove a point, but saying every PC gamer prefers mouse to controller is just not true. I'd say it's a healthy 3/4 mix. Maybe less in here because of so many home theater gamers.
post #13 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Oh, and your mom.
post #14 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 01:44 PM

Yeah, I don't know why I typed that.....oopsie.

There is something to be said though, for how natural playing a FPS in the Xbox controller is. Sure, you don't have the speed and accuracy of a mouse, but its just 'feels' right. I can't, however, say that about any other contoller ever made.
post #15 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

I said every gamer I knew that played both systems. Not an exaggeration, they all prefer the mouse. *shrug*

Your sister was better :P
post #16 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 02:14 PM

Let's see, I have a computer that has a 733MHz Pentium III processor, Windows 98 SE OS, 256 MB RAM, and a GeForce 2 GTS Pro video card...as if "Pro" matters anymore :p Given the somewhat similar specs, I feel the experience of the Xbox version will be superior than what the PC version will offer on the aforementioned computer. Then again, I'm in the minority...
post #17 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
If you prefer an Xbox controller to a mouse and keyboard for FPS games, you are in no way a hardcore PC gamer (not that that is a bad thing). Because to us that is blasphemy! There is no comparison! If you prefer a controller because of comfort, then you need to change the way you are positioning yourself and invest in a good optical mouse and a ratpad. To me a mouse and keyboard seem to be directly linked to my brain (mad laughter echos through the forum--muhahahaha). With a control pad it feels like head movement is muted and in slow-mo. It is so restriciting and it feels like you can't get a feel for where you are in the game world. With a mouse and keboard you can turn around in split second and with extreme accuracy. Next time you play Halo on Xbox, see how long it takes you to turn around, seriously. And to get any real accuracy you have to kind of 'click' the stick to get right on your target. Hell, I remember when you could play Quake 3 on the Dreamcast with PC gamers online. It was a complete turkey shoot, I mean a virtual shooting gallery. The Dreamcast guys did not have a chance. Like nothru22 said, I am probably exaggerating, but I am a hardcore PC gamer and a definite fanboy. I am so hardcore that I am thinking of buying a 50" Panny plasma or a Yamaha 510 front projecter so I can be in gaming nirvana while playing Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Far Cry, etc. Any suggestions (other than psychiatric help)?
post #18 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

This is denigrating into a console vs. PC thread. I see the same people, with the same bias, coming in here and spreading their opinions like it's the Gospel.:rolleyes: Anyway...
I'll probably end up getting BOTH versions of the game. At the very least I'm getting the PC version, but I'll wait to hear some reviews of the Xbox port.
I'm getting the PC version 'cause it comes out first:D and for the graphics. I'd get the Xbox version for the controls.

Here's my anecdote:
I got my Xbox on launch day along with a copy of Halo and I've been playing it ever since. I'm a VERY good Halo player, probably better than anyone in here!:cool:
I bought Halo PC a couple of months ago (to play on-line and YES I know about XBConnect, but I don't wanna mess with it) and I get my ass handed to me on the regular.
What's the difference besides the graphics (which are SO much better on the PC, even though it runs like a hog if I turn everything to "high")? The controls. So I LOVE when the PC "l337" come in here and try to tell everyone that the KB/mouse is "teh bias EVAR!" KB/mouse might be the best for YOU, but it's NOT the best for ME.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #19 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I certainly think a gamepad is more comfortable but when it comes to performance no pad can come close to matching the mouse. It's not a matter of being a fanboy or not giving a gamepad a chance. Reaction time and accuracy are so supperior that there are few if any PC gamers playing FPS genre games using a pad.

Take a great player and give him a gamepad (hell - give him a few months to train with it) he will get slaughtered by people who he would ordinarily dominate using the M/KB combo. For whatever reason the intuitiveness of the mouse controlling line of site and aiming synchs with the human brain far better and results in reaction times and accuracy that can't be matched on the pad. I'm guessing it's thumb vs. arm/wrist - less fine motor coordination required and mind-central nervous system-muscular response chain doesn't get bogged down.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #20 of 89 Old 07-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

I've said this a million times, but arguments like (which I think you meant to say the other way around): "Take a great player and give him a gamepad (hell - give him a few months to train with it) he will get slaughtered by people who he would ordinarily dominate using the M/KB combo" are irrelevant. On the Xbox everyone uses a gamepad, so the fact that a m/k is faster and more accurate (which I agree it is) is second to the comfort factor. If I could choose between competing against other people with everybody using a m/k or a gamepad, I would choose the gamepad because that's what feels natural and comfortable. When playing PC games I use a k/m because that's what I need to use to be competitive, but that doesn't make it better.

I'm going to get both versions. I'll get the PC version because it will look unbelievable on my medium-end computer (2.8 GHz, 9800 non-pro), and I'll get it for the Xbox for the online play (coop, competitive).
post #21 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dschroll
I am actually building a PC right now and am debating which system to get Doom 3 for. While it's very tempting to get it for the PC, the XBOX will have a co op mode via XBOX Live, which is also tempting. I'll most likely go with the PC version as it will look a lot nicer :)
Is it that it's over XBox Live that's tempting you? because i would seriously be surprised if a co-op mod for the PC was not released before the Xbox version hits shelves....
post #22 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is denigrating into a console vs. PC thread.
I guess you missed the title and topic of the thread, then. But thanks for playing along at home. If you don't understand that people are just airing their opinions, what are you doing on a message board? It'd get real quiet if we all kept our opinions to ourselves, eh?

And I still hold that only using your thumbs instead of your entire hands is like playing with one arm behind your back. Sorry to bring physiology into it. It's my opinion, with a liberal sprinkling of facts to back it up.

DTSfreak: ouch. You might be ready for an upgrade ;)
post #23 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 07:53 AM

Hahaha, yeah Komoto, I did just recently get a new Alienware PC, so I will definitely be purchasing Doom 3 for PC. Like some people, though, I'm also going to get the Xbox version if the extras like co-op prove to be worth it. And Big L, how 1337 are yu0? ;)
post #24 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Komoto
I guess you missed the title and topic of the thread, then. But thanks for playing along at home. If you don't understand that people are just airing their opinions, what are you doing on a message board? It'd get real quiet if we all kept our opinions to ourselves, eh?

And I still hold that only using your thumbs instead of your entire hands is like playing with one arm behind your back. Sorry to bring physiology into it. It's my opinion, with a liberal sprinkling of facts to back it up.

DTSfreak: ouch. You might be ready for an upgrade ;)
I have absolutely NO problem with people's opinions. What I have a problem with is people (like you Komoto) coming in here and spewing YOUR opinions, like it's fact. Example:
Quote:
The mouse is better than a console style controller for aiming a gun.
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but it's JUST your opinion.
Now that that's out of the way... Why TRY to be condescending to me in your post? I'm being VERY civil, but I can flame with the best of them, but this is not the place for that. I made very general statements about PC "l337"s and yet you seem to get defensive (maybe it's a case of "if the shoe fits...") and try to belittle me with:
Quote:
I guess you missed the title and topic of the thread, then. But thanks for playing along at home.
Was there REALLY a need for that? You talk about opinions, yet you don't respect mine.
Oh and BTW, the thread is "How much superior will a Doom 3 running on a PC look than on an Xbox?" NOT, which do you think is better PC or console? Maybe, just maybe, YOU'RE the one that should pay closer attention and try to stay on-topic.

Anyway...:rolleyes:
To directly answer the original question:
Quote:
How much superior will a Doom 3 running on a PC look than on an Xbox?
It depends on the system, but a PC will either look a little better or it'll blow the Xbox out of the water. Even if you ran a PC @ 640 by 480, if it has AA and/or AF enabled, it SHOULD look better than the Xbox. Now, on a system like mine (P4 2.4 o.c.'ed to 2.7, 9800 Pro, 1 GB Ram @ 1280 by 1024), I expect the PC to CRUSH the Xbox's graphics.

PS DTSfreak, cool link.:cool: But I only scored 40%:eek: Guess I'm not "l337", but I think we all knew that.;)

My gallery

post #25 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

The topic is "Doom 3 - Xbox versus PC version", and I thought some commentary on controls was appropriate, as it has a huge impact on gameplay. Besides, I didn't bring it up, I was responding to the post directly before mine. But flame on if you must ;)
post #26 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually haven't made up my mind which version of the game I want. I may get both!

I heard a rumor that id is going to release a demo for Doom 3 PC. That will help me decide if I want the PC version.

Also, is it expected that any good mods will be made from Doom 3 PC?

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #27 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 AM

My understanding is that a PC demo won't come out until AFTER the game hits shelves. And I'm pretty sure the co-op will remain exclusive for the Xbox, when you consider that it was a.) announced that way, and b.) the Xbox version is being developed by a completely different company.

Now, and 'independent' mod, could be possible, I suppose.
post #28 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
"using your thumbs instead of your entire hands is like playing with one arm behind your back"

and omg, have you ever try to rail someone on a controller? cmon guys, this is a non issue unless you just wanna flame. mouse/keyboard wins. :D
post #29 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 12:18 PM

I don't know if the keyboard wins hands down, seeing as some people use trackballs and whatnot, but you can't argue that a mouse isn't more accurate. You can't move a reticle across a screen with pinpoint accuracy with a controller, like you can really quickly with a mouse.

That being said, I just like playing with a controller better, simply because of the couch factor. Controllers with FPS' on the Xbox work great and feel very natural, in my opinion, which is also a large part of why I only play console games.

And, remember the days when you could play KB/M or controller on the Dreamcast Quake 3? The KB/M players always won, and it just wasn't fair at all. Plus, there just weren't enough buttons on the Dreamcast controller to allow for decent movement AND zooming. Fortunately, the Xbox controller fixed that with the clickable thumbsticks, but a mouse will always be more accurate. I'm SO GLAD they've never let a KB/M combo be released for the Xbox, because it would totally ruin all the online FPS'.
post #30 of 89 Old 07-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by borf
"using your thumbs instead of your entire hands is like playing with one arm behind your back"

and omg, have you ever try to rail someone on a controller? cmon guys, this is a non issue unless you just wanna flame. mouse/keyboard wins. :D
Wins what?
If you're talking kb/mouse VERSUS controller/gamepad, then yes. Aiming with a mouse (trackball in my case) is faster and more accurate, no doubt. Like Hawkwing said:
Quote:
I remember when you could play Quake 3 on the Dreamcast with PC gamers online. It was a complete turkey shoot, I mean a virtual shooting gallery. The Dreamcast guys did not have a chance.
Fair enough, since that's kb/mouse directly against a controller.
If you're talking kb/mouse OR controller/gamepad, it's not that easy. My personal problem is with the keyboard which SUCKS for controlling the action! A keyboard is good for word processing and spreadsheets but it's NOT made for gaming. For those of you PC folks who have become accustomed and proficient with a keyboard, more power to you, but a keyboard blows FOR ME. The problem with the PC "l337" is that you think because it's the best for YOU it's the best, period, and that's NOT the case. It's like, I can understand why you'd like the kb/mouse over the controller, but why can't you guys understand that some people prefer and, in my case, play BETTER with a controller over a kb/mouse?

My gallery

Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page