Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 202 Old 09-24-2004, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
So did EA actually fix Xbox LIVE play , has it improved ?

------- Thanks ,
-------- Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 202 Old 09-24-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp

------- Thanks ,
-------- Jason
Well, I never really had problems getting into games or getting dropped from games to begin with as others did. But the stats are now working and updating correctly.

The crappy thing is that there are hardly any games at all going on late at night. I don't know if its because not many people play on live anymore and the ones that do are in bed, or maybe something isn't working right. I'll go browse games on the various US Lobbys (west, central, east) and there will only be like 3-4 games going on. It also takes forever for a game to fill up at night (and i'm talking around 10 pm.... not even that late) while during the daytime it takes a matter of seconds.

Another thing that makes me thing not too many people are playing anymore is that my rank was 5,000 the other day (and i've seen people up to 20,000). Then I play 5 or 6 games and by the time i'm done my rank is down to 2,000. By the end of last night I was ranked around 1,000. At this rate I'll be #1 by the end of the weekend :). I've also played against people ranked in the in the 10's and 20's and I kicked their butts every time. So who knows?

I also on occasion get kicked out of rooms with some message "unable to open communication with other players" whatever that means. But overall it works pretty well, and once you're in a game its fast and fun to play. Although, now that I think about it I did get the "there was a problem updating your stats" error last night about 3 games in a row. :(
post #183 of 202 Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

mastahkaz ,

hmmm ... well seeing how we are in the same general area I might have to get a 3 month LIVE trial or something .

--- Thanks for the info [ got your PM ;) ] ,

--------- Jason
post #184 of 202 Old 09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
mastahkaz ,

hmmm ... well seeing how we are in the same general area I might have to get a 3 month LIVE trial or something .

--- Thanks for the info [ got your PM ;) ] ,

--------- Jason
I think a free XBox Live trail card came with Burnout 3 (at least it did with mine). I was trying to get my roommate to sign up for it so he could play on live too. (Just be sure to cancel it before the time is up to avoid being charged).

Speaking of being charged for Live. I subscribed the day it was released. I played Unreal Championship on it alot but once I was done with that I didn't go online for like a year. I had two friends who were pretty much in the same boat. About the time when our subscriptions were up they kept getting notices that they need to renew or their account would be turned off, yet I never received any kind of notice for mine.

Well, about six months ago my friend brings over top spin and i'm like "hey lets see if we can get on Live". So I log in and my account still worked (it should have expired in Nov. of 2003). I went online and checked all of my past bank statements to see if MS ever charged me a renewal fee, and they hadn't. So I currently have Live for free. But, i'm sure someday they'll catch on and i'll suddenly have a $300 charge to my credit card.
post #185 of 202 Old 09-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

That reminds me of my Qwest DSL account. I cancelled DSL at least 3 years ago to get a fiber optic connection, but my Qwest e-mail still works perfectly and I don't get charged for it.

I got Live for a present last Christmas and really don't use it very much at all. But for some reason they still REQUIRED my credit card info. I plan on cancelling before Christmas of this year. I hear that cancelling is not tremendously easy and if you don't cancel, they automatically renew and charge your card.
post #186 of 202 Old 09-24-2004, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mastahkaz
I think a free XBox Live trail card came with Burnout 3 (at least it did with mine). I was trying to get my roommate to sign up for it so he could play on live too. (Just be sure to cancel it before the time is up to avoid being charged).

Speaking of being charged for Live. I subscribed the day it was released. I played Unreal Championship on it alot but once I was done with that I didn't go online for like a year. I had two friends who were pretty much in the same boat. About the time when our subscriptions were up they kept getting notices that they need to renew or their account would be turned off, yet I never received any kind of notice for mine.

Well, about six months ago my friend brings over top spin and i'm like "hey lets see if we can get on Live". So I log in and my account still worked (it should have expired in Nov. of 2003). I went online and checked all of my past bank statements to see if MS ever charged me a renewal fee, and they hadn't. So I currently have Live for free. But, i'm sure someday they'll catch on and i'll suddenly have a $300 charge to my credit card.
--- Ah , well I have the B3 Euro version and it did not come with anything :( . Maybe I should toss it on ebay and grab the US release for the LIVE trial :) .

------- Thanks again for the info ;) .
------------ Jason
post #187 of 202 Old 09-25-2004, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just wanted to point out something that I just figured out we cannot do with Burnout 3 [ I was wrong earlier in the thread ] . There is no SYSTEM-LINK feature in B3 so you cannot Link 2 Xbox's together and play on dual screens head to head :( . I just tried to do it and it is a no go , I thought the Multi-player feature offered this but alas I was wrong [ MP is for Online LIVE support only ] .

---------- Jason
post #188 of 202 Old 09-25-2004, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

------- Thanks ,
-------- Jason
To be honest, i got so tired and frustrated that i just keep playing the single player for clean fun!
:)
post #189 of 202 Old 09-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
--- Ah , well I have the B3 Euro version and it did not come with anything :( . Maybe I should toss it on ebay and grab the US release for the LIVE trial :)
The Euro version didn't come with a trial of MS live? That sucks!!

Is the Euro version PAL only? Can you play it on a US XBox?

Jay
post #190 of 202 Old 09-25-2004, 10:42 AM

Tried out the on-line game on the PS2 version for the first time last night. Connects well and had no problems during game play, but not many people playing at all.

Could not find any games available in most of the lobbies. For some reason only the Central US lobby had a good number of games open.
post #191 of 202 Old 09-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder what the percentage of owners who have the PS2 vs the Xbox version is.
post #192 of 202 Old 09-26-2004, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

------- Thanks ,
-------- Jason
Eh, yes and no. My friends and I spent the better part of 2 hours yesterday trying to get everyone conected to EA's sad servers. We were rebooting xboxes, unhooking everything else from the routers, anything. Didn't help. We probably played 6 games in that span of time, when we would all connect by some chance, the game host would just start the game immediately, no changing cars, etc. I was so pissed off I actually called their tech support line to complain, but of course they are not open on weekends.

Then we all jumped on Black Arrow, to see how real mutiplayer is handled (pretending that we were storming EAs offices helped release stress!) Didn't have problem one. Then came back and tried BO3 and got lucky, I guess. After about 30 minutes of trying this time, we were all able to connect consistently and enjoyed another solid hour of racing.
post #193 of 202 Old 10-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Hi All,

This is a huge thread. So sorry if this has been covered.

I havn't been hearing good things about Burnout3's Xbox Live play.

But is there a way to link up 2 or more Xbox's to have a Lan party with my buddies at home? Can we race with more than 2 players? Is there a system link option?

Much like we do with Halo.

Thanks in advance for your input, BK
post #194 of 202 Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Picked this up this weekend. It's definately an addicting game.

The Silver Screen Cinema
Co-Optimus (Co-Op Gaming)
The Weekly Release (Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #195 of 202 Old 10-04-2004, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
bkwong73,

look about 6 posts up at gamepimp's post.

reap
post #196 of 202 Old 10-04-2004, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
BK ----->
Quote:
Just wanted to point out something that I just figured out we cannot do with Burnout 3 [ I was wrong earlier in the thread ] . There is no SYSTEM-LINK feature in B3 so you cannot Link 2 Xbox's together and play on dual screens head to head :( . I just tried to do it and it is a no go , I thought the Multi-player feature offered this but alas I was wrong [ MP is for Online LIVE support only ] .

---------- Jason
post #197 of 202 Old 10-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Jason,

Thanks for finally clearing up the system link issue with Burnout3.

I havn't subscribed to Xbox Live yet, still waiting for Halo2 to do that.

But I was wondering since each Xbox can play 2 players at a time. When you do hook up to play on Live, can you play 2 players on your Xbox and compete Live at the same time.

If this is the case, which is what Halo2 is rumored to do, in their case you can play 4 players on one Xbox and go play online at the same time.

So this is the only work around for my buddies to race each other at a Lan party. That is if each of our Xbox's has a Live account and play in the same house using a wireless router.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sincerely, BK
post #198 of 202 Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM

I'd like to know what they were smoking when they decided not to support system link. If there were any recent games that screamed out, "I should be played via System Link!" this is one. It's not like EA Games can't do it. In fact, they should have taken care of this before throwing in the shoddy Live support. Then we could have played on a LAN as well as over the 'net via XBConnect (all for free). I guess now that they've struck a Live deal with MS, they're taking advantage of it wherever they can, at the expense of other areas of the game (System Link).

Who knows how many sales they've lost due to this absent feature. I have some friends who would probably have bought it if it did, but I don't think they're going to now. It's a shame, too, as I was looking forward to mopping up the tracks with them ;)
post #199 of 202 Old 10-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hey RebelScum,

I am also very outraged by the lack of System Link. And many of my other buddies would have bought it just to race each other.

So I know how you feel.

BK
post #200 of 202 Old 10-05-2004, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

just picked up this game and WOW! i dig it

had a question though

haven't spent much time with it, but is there a way to play multiplayer (my wife and i) and have it work with (2) profiles

in other words have a proflie for player 2?

i guess what i'm asking is, you can't play 2 player and do the actual tournament right? you can only unlock things and stuff in single player?

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #201 of 202 Old 10-05-2004, 01:59 PM

No idea, billymac, but it doesn't really make much sense to use separate profiles, since there's no controller customization option. Just use the profile that has more unlocked cars/tracks when you play.

I would also like to voice my addiction to this game. I was up until 3am last night playing. Better than last week, when it was 4am. I actually got sick due to that incident, and am still getting over it. Then I go and do the same thing again this week.

Digital crack indeed...
post #202 of 202 Old 10-13-2004, 10:48 AM

I bought Burnout 3 over the weekend and I'm having trouble configuring the 16:9 widescreen mode for the game with my PlayStation 2 (no doubt due to my ignorance). I'd be grateful for any tips on setting it up so it really is in 16:9 mode. My setup is an Infocus 7200 DLP front projector throwing the image to a 106 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. The Infocus has the following aspect ratio modes: Native, 16:9, 4:3, Letterbox and Natural Wide. Our PlayStation 2 is set in its internal Configuration menu for a 16:9 screen/TV.

The Infocus Native mode bypasses the internal scaler and centers the image on the screen so you can see what ratio is really being projected. When I use this mode with a traditional 16:9 DVD, it looks 16:9 but just smaller on the screen since there is no scaling. However, when I set the projector in Native mode, the Burnout 3 image looks to be 4:3, despite having set the PlayStation for a 16:9 TV. Also, I can't find any separate setting in the Burnout 3 setup screens for 16:9. Lastly, when I set the projector for its 16:9 mode, the image appears somewhat stretched and there are 5 or 6 inches of black on each side of the image. Perhaps naively, I had just assumed that if I had the PlayStation set for 16:9 and the IF 7200 set for 16:9 projection, it will fill the screen and the globe at the beginning would not look stretched.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have the feeling that I'm missing something basic and not getting all the image I could. The game looks fantastic if I could get this set.

Thanks,

Baloo
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page