Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can't burn anything down. The fire augmentation is because some things (Hobbes) are weak to fire.
First off, let me say I like the game. It is one of the first 'rpgs' in a while to pull me in.
But I will have to say I was very disappointed in what resulted from such a long development time. Some of these have been stated but I think they should be emphasized:
1. The areas are small. Very small. Load, load, load. Not terrible but geeze, I guess I've been spoiled by games that stream.
2. While you can keep wandering after you finish the game, you will NOT be able to access the guild grounds afterwords (or at least I haven't found the way), so it probably wasn't such a great idea to put both a 20 silver key chest and the demon door of goodness there. (grrr)
3. Insufficient side-quests. In fact, probably by about 1/3 of the way through side-quests almost all but disappear. I can think of probably about 20 side quests that could have been added, probably more if there were some arching.
4. The entire Lady Grey background story, what's the point if you can't do anything about it? I don't think you can even kill her (I haven't been able to get her to follow me out of the town and no weapons within town). Seems that if you choose the other girl you should get something good. But I haven't seen anything indicating this, and what you get from the grey demon door is pretty nice.
5. As mentioned, the entire killing 'monsters' gives you goody points. Sure, easy enough to get rid of (slaughter a village), but you should only have gotten good points if the 'monster' was attacking someone (thus allowing you to wait, or finish the someone first).
6. Guards are such stupid creatures... but yet they know the player when they see one. Blatent racial profiling I tell ya!
7. It is interesting that as an alternative to killing shop owners you can marry them and the shop goes up for sale (if the owner is appropriately sexed).
8. The 'steal' expression seems somewhat useless, what's with the items disappearing when you kill the shop owner? Should make things easy pickings if you ask me...
9. Some of the phrasing for the demon doors seems a little off, the one doesn't actually require you to do an evil deed within its sight... you just need to max the evil.
10. The chief of the village cheats in the fist fight, and seems to be unkillable. (I swear I scored 50 hits on him, yet he hits my twice and I loose?)
11. The Arena should have allowed for repeat visits. Also, perhaps something more then a little change it dialogue when you pick one of the options over the other?
12. The final village seems fairly useless, by then there are no more side quests.
13. The path up to the washed out bridge... what is really the point? Why didn't they repair the bridge partway through the game and have it lead to the next village? Having to teleport there seems contrived. Do the traders teleport there?
14. Some of the sounds seem blatently ripped off (perhaps 'homaged') from certain other games...
15. The targeting system is flawed. There should have been some ability for it to better distiguish friend from foe. Kind of easy to kill the person you are supposed to be escorting if you are using a melee weapon. Difficult to get it not to target a friendly.
16. Okay, so I've got 7 or so bandits following me around, and I run into some other bandits. Why do they still automatically attack? Why can't we all just get along?
17. The drunk effect is well done.
18. Who gets sick after three beers?
19. The NPCs are even worse, two beers will generally slosh them.
20. It is amusing to enter a fist fight when you have 7 or so bandits following you around. (try it, really :D )
21. Fishing is annoying when you've boosted your strength.
22. The fishing is not as fun as certain other games...
23. I really wish they had put all the other things they were planning in, and I'm not sure why they couldn't.
24. What do you mean, 'buy evil'? Didn't cost me a dime!
25. The 'sacrfices' appear to have been toned down for PC reasons.
26. As was the 'sex.' Some of the comments are amusing, however.
27. They should have mentioned that there is no pre-marital sex. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wasted much time trying to take some of the girls up on their offers.
The game is pretty good, but it seems it could have been so much BETTER! :(