Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, today is the 14th...shouldn't Fable have come out today??? I'm really excited and want to go get it at my lunch break, but after checking out IGN and Gamespot, I don't see any announcement that "Fable is OUT!" or even "Fable shipping".

Maybe its just because they got such advance copies or something, but usually, even less desired games, they say something.

Anyone have any definitive information?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 11:01 AM

Liked: 10
I was at EB Games the other day and they said it would be out today. I won't be getting this one anytime soon since I have yet to play through Kotor.
post #3 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is all good!!!! IGN just added an update saying its out.

You don't need to wait too long. KOTOR is good, but its really really short and really easy. You'll be done pretty quickly. When I played it I did as many of the side quests as I could too. I just loaned it to a buddy of mine and he played through it all and did a bunch of the side quests too and beat the thing is less than a week. Its good, just too short. SO get Fable!!! :)

I'm happy. Fable good. :) :) :)
post #4 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 11:25 AM

Wow! If you think Kotor is short, you're not gonna be too pleased with the length of Fable. I just read my EGM review of it today and they said it takes about 12 hours to play through the story mode. Obviously, the side quests make it longer, but even Gamespot said that after about 20 hours or so you've seen most everything there is to see.

Still, definitely a solid RPG that I plan to get it when it goes down in price. I haven't even started Kotor yet though, and from what I hear it's about a 40 hour adventure. Combine that with the many other games I already own and haven't played and Fable won't make it to my list until next fall.
post #5 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 11:28 AM

Spoke to my local EB, and they said that it was released today but would not be in their stores until tomorrow.
post #6 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WHat?!?! They better have it over here!

You know, i read the same thing and was totally bummed about the length, but I think this is a game that I will play through at least twice, and people are saying it is kind of like the very first Zelda on Nintendo, and I still play that every once in a while just for the heck of it. You can beat it in a day, but its still great.
post #7 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

KotOR took me just over 60 hours on my first play through as a good jedi, and just over 40 hours for the second time as dark jedi. I'd call KotOR about medium-length, there's just not a lot of good side things to do, or much exploration.

My Fable order is on 'hold', according to EB's site, but they are pretty slow in updating it, in my experiences. With free three day shipping, I'm expecting a copy to show up on friday so I can settle in for a good weekend of gameplay.

Gothic 2 is more than holding me over, it's a great game that will probably end up being better than Fable. I'm about 39 hours into my first playthrough as a Paladin (just starting chapter 4), and there are rumors the german expansion (it's a german developer) will be released in the US sometime "soon", so my second playthrough will have about 30 hours tacked onto it from the expansion alone :)
post #8 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 12:00 PM

I am going to pick mine up today after work. I am excited! I will probably play through a couple of times too. I always take longer with games than anyone else seems to, so I am still excited. KOTOR was a long game to me at 60 hours.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't
care.
post #9 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 12:38 PM

KOTOR was about 30 hours each time (once good, once bad). With work, home life, etc. it took me about 5-6 months to finish it (and then give it to my brother).

I do not mind a 'short' 12-15 hour game. I usually only have 2-3 hours max to play each day, so it should take me anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months to play it both good and evil.

Besides, you are supposed to be able to still travel the 'world' after completion. Once I am all leveled up and godlike, I can start terrorizing the world!! :-)
post #10 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DAMN!!! I just went to grab a copy at lunch and all of the retailers near me said that they didn't have them yet. One said to come back this evening because unlike other shops, they said out their own truck to the airport to pick up the shipments and I should be able to pick one up. I hope so!!!
post #11 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
KOTOR took 40 hours for me on the Light side with all the quests/sidequests.

I'll have to wait before I buy Fable or any other Xbox game. My fan just died and my system keeps on going into "Overheat" mode after 20 seconds. So I'll have to wait for a replacement fan to come in. That's shoddy workmanship if you ask me.

BTW, M$ quoted me $87.50 to fix the fan. Why bother when a new Xbox is $150.
post #12 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 160
--- My local shops will not have Fable until tomorrow either :( .

------------ Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright!! One of the places i visited at lunch just called me to say they have it and I can come get one!!! Yippie!
post #14 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 04:56 PM

Word on some other gaming boards is that the picture is all out of synch if you try to play Fable at the 480p resolution. Can anyone confirm? I've read about 8 user accounts so far stating it will only run with 480p turned off. Truly amazing if after four years of development they couldn't get that right, but I suppose I'll see for myself tomorrow when I pick it up.
post #15 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Friend of mine has it and spent 30 minutes kicking the first chicken he came across :D
post #16 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 09:04 PM

I got it and it is great. I am not very far into it, but I like it a lot already. There is a lot to explore and see. I can't say I recommend it just because I haven't played enough of it to say that, but it is a very cool game. I am sure I will be able to recommend it as soon as I get farther into it.

care.
post #17 of 78 Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

toddwinkler, does it play fine in 480p?

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #18 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 01:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Buddy of mine brought me over his 'Fable' since he works grave shift [ what a pal :D ] . Only down-side is he is picking it up at 7am in the morning - UGH .

--- It does indeed play in 480p [ and 'FAKE' widescreen -lol ] :D .

--- Be sure to check the 'Conker' movie - lol .

--- I am off to try it out ...

----------- Jason

post #19 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 06:01 AM

I can't confirm or deny that it plays in 480p as I don't have an HDTV at my current location. Just my good ol' faithful Toshiba 27". It looks good on it, but I know that doesn't help you.

Kicking chickens is hilarious. Everyone keeps calling me "chicken chaser". I think I may buy a new title like "arseface".

care.
post #20 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Buying titles is so lame, as is buying good or evilness. In a game that's about reacting to the way you play, being able to buy that off is just lame.

I wouldn't know, though, I made the mistake of pre-ordering through EB, order still on Hold. I hope I learned my lesson this time, I hate EB. Maybe the local walmart will have it in a couple weeks. Distribution is HARD.
post #21 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow I think this is a first! A canadian getting the game, before americans get there hands on it. I picked mine up yesterday after work (pre-ordered) @ EB Games. I played way to much of it (approximately 10hrs)... Yes I was up till 5am in the morning the next day.

Anyways it is 480p 16:9, and it is a good game. The only thing that bugs me is sometimes the frame rate goes BOOM! and the gameplay gets really choppy.

I concur the kicking of the chickens is a fun activity. I am actually curious of how close I am to beating the game. I'm quite a few quests in (not necessarily core quests though).

Rev

The Problem With The World Today Is Everyone Is Just A Few Drinks Behind!

post #22 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SO i did in fact get Fable yesterday as promised and was home playing by 5pm (I'm on the west coast).

First thing- if you're having problems with 480p, please read my response in the other Fable thread.

Second- There is NO widescreen support. If you are playing in widescreen, the image is stretched and distorted. This is 100% accurate. That said, if you enjoy it in widescreen, by all means play it that way! I have done that myself with some games, no worries. I'm playing this in OAR, though.

Third- This game is rad!!! I can totally see how this game could take 12-30 hours depending on how you play it. You really can run around for hours being an idiot or playing the side games, getting married, bartering, etc. Its really cool, and the on the fly switching between melee and ranged weapons kicks ass too.

The side games are really fun and addictive. I couldn't stop trying the "Coin Golf" or table golf or whatever it was. Its tough, but i couldn't stop!

Anyway, i don't want to be at work today, i just want to go play. I can see playing this one a few times. Not just good and bad, but hard core mage , good, bad, theif, etc, etc.
post #23 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah those so called release dates are the SHIPPING dates. Not the in store you can go buy it dates.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #24 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantMeThePower
Second- There is NO widescreen support. If you are playing in widescreen, the image is stretched and distorted. This is 100% accurate. That said, if you enjoy it in widescreen, by all means play it that way! I have done that myself with some games, no worries. I'm playing this in OAR, though.
I see no distortion whatsoever playing the game in widescreen. Everything is proportional and as it should be.
post #25 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry, but that is not possible. Put the game into 480i mode and play it for a minute in a 4:3 window and you'll see what I mean. There is NO widescreen support for this game. The publishers have, in exact wording, stated so much and it has been verifed by a number of publications, and I have tested it myself. When the game came on my set, it was widescreen and I had the same thought, "Hey, this IS widescreen" but my display has the ability to make a 4:3 image even with a 480p (or any resolution actually) input and as soon as I switched it to 4:3 I saw the error in my immediate feelings. There are cutscenes that have a widescreen aspect, but if they are being displayed in full on a 16:9 set, they are still strecthed. It is more of a way of telling the player that they are not in control during those times.

But like i said before, if you dig it, play it! But you can't be sure that it is "as it should be" if you haven't seen it as it really should be.
post #26 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep , the aspect ratio looked proper in Widescreen here too . May not be perfect widescreen but it looked damn close to me [ nothing looked stretched or oval ] .

-------- Jason

post #27 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 11:16 AM

I just put another hour into the game over my lunch break. I can already tell I am going to spend a long time with this game. I am not worried about the length. It took me 4 months to beat Knights of the Old Republic, so if I can get 2 - 3 months out of this one, I am a very satisfied customer. I am just having fun exploring the world right now. Got a girl drunk at the pub in Bowerstone, and then gave her some chocolates, she was quite fond of me after a while.

care.
post #28 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, guys, I really don't care if you want to play this in widescreen, but I'm actually hoping to get the truth and the real word out there.

Please see:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/539/539090p6.html
http://www.xboxyde.com/game_287_en.html
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ under the date 8/19

Thats just a couple of selections, but the truth is out there and it has been for a long time. There was an interview with the developers where they specifically said there was no widescreen support, but i've read every article i could find about this game for three years, and can't remember where i saw that one, sorry.
post #29 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I was going to wait and rent this from gamefly, being that I hate RPGs. But from what I've heard in forums and reviews this game is much more of an action title, which is great news for me. I noticed that Peter Moleneux did a little plagerizing in the fishing and digging department. From what I heard it's just like doing it in a game called Animal Crossing. Of course this isn't a bad thing because animal crossing is highly addictive. So I'm off to my local gamestore to pick this one up. BTW, I thought it would be great to take pics of our character's evolution. So as you get scarred etc, you take pics until you reach age 65. then we can all post the pics and see the differences depending on how we played the game.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #30 of 78 Old 09-15-2004, 12:01 PM

Is downloadable content supported in this game?
Thanks.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page