Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone picking this up today? The hype is pretty overwhelming (although the Halo 2 hype will be greater). I will pick it up but I admit that I have never beat either of the first two. I usually do the missions until I unlock the 3rd section of the city, and then it's just too large for me to navigate through without getting lost. Once this happens I just play to wreak havoc on the city. The bad news for me is that this city is like 10 times bigger than Vice City, the good news is that there are lots more minigames like gambling and street basketball, so it should keep me occupied for a long time (or at least until Nov. 9th).

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm interested in hearing impressions. My neighbor has a PS2 and I'm sure he'll get it but not right away. I really liked VC (partially because I grew up during the 1980's in S. Florida). Man, those were the days. Sitting out on my Donzi with a couple of fine hoes and a big mound of ye-yo - yeah right.:D

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #3 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 01:09 PM

I'll be picking mine up this evening. I'll let you know what I think. I loved the last two. GTA is the main reason I have a PS2.
post #4 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though tomorrow is the official release, the stores should be getting them today. The lady at EB Games told me to come today after 6:00 to get my copy. I hope they have it.

Steve
post #5 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Not even remotely interested. I'm currently playing Vice City and am enjoying it more than I did GTA III. The premise of SA just does not even interest me.
post #6 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

I'm all over it...this April when they release the pc version. I'm almost tempted to buy a PS2 to play GTA:SA, until a gaming friends punches me in the face and reminds me how crappy the PS2 is (compared to my pc, down fanbois!). I'm getting better at dodging, anyway.

Rockstar's been doing a great job growing the franchise over the years, I expect a solid title. I was also living in Los Angeles and later San Francisco in the early 90s, so it should be a pretty cool vibe, even though I don't dig 'thug culture'.

The intercity stuff looks great, love the franchise and looks like another step forward.
post #7 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I've played Vice City, but I had to quit. I just couldn't stomach doing crime. I still think the game play is astoundingly good.

One question, does this game have online multiplayer?

I wish more games would have the open ended style of play like the GTA series. That's one reason I loved Far Cry. I'm playing the New Call of Duty expansion pack and it is very good, but the fact that it has artificial path restriction takes away some of the fun for me.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #8 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just couldn't stomach doing crime.
But psychopathic murderous sprees are AOK? :P I know where you're coming from, but hey man, it's a game. If you buy in that killing people is just make-believe, why not buy-in on make-believe crime? I'd think the rampant and almost non-stop murder would be the sticking point, heh.
post #9 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh oh... is this going to go OT with a "violence in video games" direction? :D

I'd get it if I still had my PS2 - this and the new Metal Gear make me wish I wasn't such a nice guy by giving my system to my nephew... I'm awaiting news on an Xbox release. I was greatly entertained by VC, but got bored after I got stuck trying to snipe van after van of gang members from the rooftop.

But for you PS2 owners.... let the havoc begin! :)

Xbox Live ID: MihmsMe
post #10 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I have it. It is awesome. Music is not as good as Vice City. Doesn't seem to be as funny as Vice City. Not sure I will like it as much as Vice City, but Vice City is one of the best games ever created IMO. Can't wait for a PC version.

Steve
post #11 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Music is not as good as Vice City.
Totally disagree, it's a great soundtrack. There's a few odd choices for genre (Juice Newton I consider more pop than country, for instance, especially with the strong traditional country lineup), but there are solid selections from every genre they chose to represent.

There's certainly more overall songs I enjoy this time around, even if it's tough to top some of the 80s metal from VC ;) I'm looking forward to cruising through LA...err Los Santos...in a combine with "Amos Moses" blasting through my system!
post #12 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 06:49 PM

Can anybody confirm/deny support for Progressive Scan?
post #13 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
According to the IGN review, it said that it doesn't support progressive scan but it does support widescreen. It also mentions that it doesnt support DTS.
post #14 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The widescreen sucks, it zooms in the 480i frame so it's essentially a letterboxing effect, cutting off the top and bottom. Maybe I need to fool with it more but right now I'm keeping it in 4:3 mode for an 80" screen. :\\

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #15 of 70 Old 10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't notice the cropping, I'll have to check again. I did notice my guy looked short and fat when not in widescreen mode.

Steve
post #16 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IGN gave it a 9.9 I believe this is the highest score they have given any game in this generation of hardware. Before that was NFL 2K on the DC. Anyway, the graphics suffer because of the PS2 limitations, but the game is a gem. I'm 24 and I remember going to LA in the early 90's and actually hearing this music. The SWV song or Ice Cube's "Today was a good day" are so pinpoint accurate that it really adds to the atmosphere. If these games could produce odors I wouldn't doubt that Rockstar could even recreate that. The story is on par with West Coast gangster films like Menace 2 Society or Boyz n the Hood. I'm upset though because now you can fly planes, but you have to go to flight school and I have no clue where it's located. I WANT AN F-16!!

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #17 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty L
The widescreen sucks, it zooms in the 480i frame so it's essentially a letterboxing effect, cutting off the top and bottom. Maybe I need to fool with it more but right now I'm keeping it in 4:3 mode for an 80" screen. :\\
but doing this will allow high more lines on a smaller area, things should looked more detailed
post #18 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anyone preorder from best buy? im now hearing that the game doesnt go on their shelves until tomorrow? thats what i get for not preordering with a game store. :(

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #19 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

So I guess the game doesn't have online multiplay or co-op. I think that would be awesome. Cop and Robbers running and gunning around the map. It would be too much of a strain on the PS2 system, but I hope they add it to the PC version.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #20 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 10:41 AM

There are small co-op minigames, according to the reviews; but not the full campaign.

looks pretty good; in particular the voice actors make it that much more enticing. George Clinton! Axl Rose! Chuck D!? whereas i was uninterested before, this morning i find myself somewhat intrigued. will have to see it in action first - i played all of 2 hours of vice city before completely losing interest.
post #21 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 11:04 AM

How can the biggest hit for the PS2 all year not support Progressive scan? I can understand the DTS track due to space limitations but not progressive? Argh!
post #22 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 11:53 AM

I picked my copy up at 10:00 this morning at Best Buy. They were almost overstocked on the game, with a table set up by the front door and the rack space full of copies. They also had special running where you got a Greatest Hits game of your choice for $5 with the GTA purchase. Pretty cool if you ask me. I immediately sat down with the game when I got home and have had an absolute blast so far. The music is awesome and the sheer size of the city (so far) has been a little overwhelming. The lack of prog scan hasn't been an issue for me, but I can see where it may be for some. I also didn't notice a crop in widescreen mode, but I honestly wasn't really looking for it. I'll have to check that one out later today. The biggest surprise for me was the language. I'm certainly not offended by it or anything, I actually appreciate the fact that they went balls out on this one. It was just unexpected due to the general lack of profanity in GTA3 and Vice City. It certainly earned the M rating, that's for sure.

post #23 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 12:06 PM

I picked it up last night at EB after waiting for 30 mins in a line.

(I have never seen a line for a game before, though I know they have happened in the past).

I'm playing it on my 106" screen via my Sanyo Z2. The lack of progressive is a bit of a problem, but overall the major problem is the PS2 just doesn't look as good as the XBOX when blown up to such a large size.

(not the Xbox looks great with that large of a size... it doesn't)

There IS full widescreen support. No cropping on my screen.

I think I'm going to play it in 4:3 mode, however, because the widescreen stretches the pixels so much the extra aliasing is noticable. I may even make the picture smaller to make it more bearable.

As far as the game goes, I picked up the strategy guide and I can tell you this game is HUGE. It is like having three GTA games in one. There is an absolutely enormous amount of things to do besides the main quest, and there are more RPG elements that didn't exist with the last two. (You could play gambling and pool alone with this game and spend 30 hours, and those are minigames!)

I played it for 5 hours last night, happily, and only maybe got 5% of the game done.

There IS a huge amount of profanity, but it is realistic given the storyline. The storyline is less cartoonish than the past two games, which is kind of odd considering the game is supposed to exist in a cartoonish world.

This game is incredible. It builds on all the strengths of the previous titles and is well written and at least 3x bigger to boot.

The technical limitations of the PS2 for those of us with HDTV PJ TVs is painfully evident, however, and I cannot wait for the next generation where HDTV resolutions are the norm.

---
HD-DVD (Tosh A3) & Blu-Ray (PS3)
Home Theater rocks!
post #24 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monstermile
Not even remotely interested. I'm currently playing Vice City and am enjoying it more than I did GTA III. The premise of SA just does not even interest me.
I'll admit I enjoy the premise of GTA3 and especially GTA:VC more, because I grew up in the 80's and remain a big Miami Vice fan. :)

That said, I enjoyed Boyz N' The Hood, Menace II Society, etc. as well and this game is an homage to those types of movies.

The thing I like most about GTA though is the sandbox nature of the game. You can play for 80 hours and rarely even touch the main storyline. The world is living, breathing, and in this latest version there are many more places to visit.

On top of that, there are more interior locations, which makes the game really feel like a huge city.

And then there are three of them.

GTA:SA is really an incredible game.

---
HD-DVD (Tosh A3) & Blu-Ray (PS3)
Home Theater rocks!
post #25 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 PM

Has there been any word on this eventually coming to the XBOX?
post #26 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The technical limitations of the PS2 for those of us with HDTV PJ TVs is painfully evident, however, and I cannot wait for the next generation where HDTV resolutions are the norm.
Or the pc version! ;)

Javaman - no official word yet, and it's tough to prognosticate because there is no precedence for teh xbox releases, because of the double pack method of release. I'm getting my April/May 2005 release from looking at the precedence set by previous GTA pc port release dates, btw.
post #27 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Javaman
Has there been any word on this eventually coming to the XBOX?
There probably can be none. Rockstar developed the XBox double pack while denying it was being developed. More than likely Sony's exclusive deal does not allow it. GTA sold over a million on XBox, odds are it will pop up in the new year.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #28 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by controller2k
because I grew up in the 80's and remain a big Miami Vice fan. :)

Great show. One of my friends that I went to school with had his house used extensively on one of the episodes. I'd like them to come out with a DVD set for each of the seasons similar to what they are doing now with other shows a lot of which are relative garbage compared to this one.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #29 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mburcke
I can understand the DTS track due to space limitations but not progressive? Argh!
for the game to support dts one vector unit must be devoted to encoding dts, that's half the power, space would not be an issus as it is on the fly encoding
post #30 of 70 Old 10-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So far, I hate it....

No DTS....it's pro logic...no progressive scan either.

When you are in a car in first person mode and you wreck your car enough for smoke to come out, it all but blinds you while your driving.

All the cars look like boxes.....no detail at all.

Worst of all, I am getting quick freezing when there is lots of action on the screen.

I may learn to love it, but so far, it is nothing special.

The only thing positive so far is the sound effects are better than VC. Also, the all weapons cheat is the same....R1,R2,L1,R2,left,down,right,up,left,down,right,up. So you get all weapons NOW...TODAY.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page