OK now that the Halo fans are busy playing their new game - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something that's been actually worth anticipating, Half-Life 2 is coming out in 5 days. Besides playing it on the new 24" monitor, I'm taking my PC with me when I setup a friends new grand wega next week. I've started playing with hammer again for the source sdk, and I might get around to develop that game that's been building up in my mind over the years. In a month I'm going to a LAN party with some old friends, and CS:Source is already one of the main attractions.

It's funny how the last couple years have really felt dead in terms of a pc gaming community. I wonder if HL2, and all the source games/mods are going to bring back that old feeling.

It would be a nice departure from the consoles, I tell ya ^^

Anyone else anticipating Half-Life 2 for more than just the game?

-Cyphatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I still think HL1 is the best FPS out there. I'm just anxious to see how much the sequel will surpass my expectations. An EGM editor said it's like Kubrick sat down and designed a game himself. We'll see.... :D :D :D

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #3 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yes, can't wait for Eyes Wide Shut the game.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 05:32 AM

All I can hope is that the requirements for HL2 are not so out of reach like when they first released HL1. Sure, HL was a great game, but good grief a lot of 'newer' computers could not handle it when it came out. I had to turn down my graphics settings all the way just to play it and I had my new fangled voodoo2!

Loyal subject of the First Galactic Empire.
4 out of 5 dermatologists agree, Force Lightning is bad for your skin.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by emr131
All I can hope is that the requirements for HL2 are not so out of reach like when they first released HL1. Sure, HL was a great game, but good grief a lot of 'newer' computers could not handle it when it came out. I had to turn down my graphics settings all the way just to play it and I had my new fangled voodoo2!
I had Voodoo one at the time and you can imagine my dismay....HL was one of the game I fired up everytime I've done an upgrade to my shitbox to see if I can finally run it at full detail.....
post #6 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 10:12 AM

I agree that HL2 is a highly anticipated game, but I wouldn't go as far as saying the gaming community has felt dead. Maybe for obsessive HL fans it has, but some of the games that have hit the industry lately have brought about A LOT of excitement and fulfillment. Example: Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat. These games have turned the FPS industry on it's head because of how addicting the gameplay is and although it's no HL2, Battlefield 2 sure is getting a lot of buzz and generating much anticipation. That's one thing I have never understood about the hardcore HL and CS guys, it's almost like they are stuck in a gaming industry of 5 years ago and believe that no worthy game has been created that can compete. HL was amazing in it's day as well as HL2 will be, but after playing through a game like Far Cry, I still feel there are better games out there now that are more worth my time than playing a 5 year old FPS. Just my thoughts though.

|..frizzo..|

BOYWONDERSTUDIOS::www.boywonderdesign.com::
To refute design is to deprive oneself of mental candy. Stimulate your mind.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 12:17 PM

Socom 3 baby;)
post #8 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Socom is definitely fun but the FPS genre will always belong to the PC. Most PC gamers will tell you that any socom isn't fit to be in the same sentence with Half-Life. ;)

Far Cry pushed the genre in terms of graphics and physics but the AI was horrible. Bad guys yelling at you from the top floor of a 2-level structure but just ran around yelling instead of coming down the stairs?? I love the story, creativity, and AI that was in HL1 at the time. I also don't think we've been in a rut, I've been in a Medal of Honor clan for over 3 years now. Gotta love those WWII games.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #9 of 14 Old 11-12-2004, 12:04 PM

Where Half Life was fun, it was not a particularly memorable game, at least for me.

I would not call the last couple of years dead. There has been GTAIII and how can anyone forget Medal of Honor ?

There has also been Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty and Manhunt, plus other less heralded titles like Kill Switch. I know Kill Switch, but say what you want, it was still fun.

Getting awful crowded in my sky!
post #10 of 14 Old 11-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's funny how the last couple years have really felt dead in terms of a pc gaming community.
You, sir, should seek counselling :) As mentioned, battlefield 1942 changed the fps genre overnight, and the best part was NO hype at all. I had never heard of the game when someone turned me onto the Wake demo three days before it released to stores. A year later I had to walk away from the game because I was playing it way too much, even a year later (was in league play).

There are always great games out there to be played on the pc, but few of them get hype. And few with hype live up to it, it's the nature of hype. I'd like to check out HL2, but I'll wait until the pricing is more in line with other pc titles. As with the overhyped, underwhelming Doom3, they are retailing it for $55, when many new pc games come out at $40. The hell with that, I say :)

But I'm VERY happy HL2 is coming out, so I can finally play the new Vampire game!
post #11 of 14 Old 11-12-2004, 05:07 PM

Yeah while all my friends were excited about halo, I could care less.

I want my hl2 damnit.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-12-2004, 05:30 PM

Liked: 12
Halo 2 is fun and I am really enjoying it. But FPS will always be best on PCs, imo. Call Of Duty is my fave and I don't even like WW2 stuff. The new exp pack for that game is very good so pick it up. Plenty of online activity with that game.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?"
post #13 of 14 Old 11-12-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrism131
Where Half Life was fun, it was not a particularly memorable game, at least for me.

I would not call the last couple of years dead. There has been GTAIII and how can anyone forget Medal of Honor ?

There has also been Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty and Manhunt, plus other less heralded titles like Kill Switch. I know Kill Switch, but say what you want, it was still fun.
If HL was not memorable to you I would ask if you played it when it was released or a couple of years later when the game may not have stood the test graphically?
Most of the games you mentioned are more console games than PC games even though they were ported.
Pc games were languishing a bit and now there is a resurgence wchich did start with BF 1942.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-13-2004, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not a PC gamer, but thought I'd jump in. I just finished the "Behind the Scenes" article on Gamespot, and now I wish I could afford a nice PC. You can tell when a developer actually cares about their fans. I think Valve certainly does, and feel similarly about Bungie. On the the other hand, id and Rockstar have this regal attitude about their games, which can be annoying.

I just played HL for the first time last month, so I could have some perspective for what everyone's talking about for HL2. Hopefully, they'll get us the Xbox version sometime soon. I've been really looking forward to Halo 2 on XBOX, and really enjoyed it. But the game I had built up in my mind was better than what we got. I tried to fight the hype, but couldn't resist. I Hope HL2 can meet the hype.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page