Airport Express as wireless game adapter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2004, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
JnC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Originally I thought these devices could only use their ethernet port as only a network connection (as a base station) but apparently they can be used with clients too (enabling an Xbox to get on a WiFi network).

The secret is to use the setup wizard or the airport admin utility to enable your base station as a WDS (wireless distribution system) main base station and add the Airport Express to the client list. Then use the admin utility to set up the Airport Express as a WDS client and scan the base station to grab its Airport Mac address.

With this configuration, the Xbox has a wireless internet connection and I can simultaneously stream music to the receiver in the den. All from one device with no perceivable lag in music or gameplay. I'm impressed.

Regards,
JnC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JnC
Originally I thought these devices could only use their ethernet port as only a network connection (as a base station) but apparently they can be used with clients too (enabling an Xbox to get on a WiFi network).

The secret is to use the setup wizard or the airport admin utility to enable your base station as a WDS (wireless distribution system) main base station and add the Airport Express to the client list. Then use the admin utility to set up the Airport Express as a WDS client and scan the base station to grab its Airport Mac address.

With this configuration, the Xbox has a wireless internet connection and I can simultaneously stream music to the receiver in the den. All from one device with no perceivable lag in music or gameplay. I'm impressed.

Regards,
JnC
JnC,

This is great news! Can you clarify why I need to scan the base station for its Mac address?

Thanks,
-Randy.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2004, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
JnC

Quote:
Originally posted by Rthomas
Can you clarify why I need to scan the base station for its Mac address?
The "scanning" is done from within the admin utility. Basically, you're having the Express search for WDS enabled base stations and establishing a link.

Regards,
Jared
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page