post #1 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
DRG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

First time poster...

We bought the whole X-Box thing for our kids, and me, for Christmas. It'll be played on new front projection through 5.1 audio.

We were stoked at the purchase point (B--- B-y) and even bought the Component video adapter and an optical audio cable to use with it. The cables were about $100.00 total.

I'm going to try to use the DVD player capabilities to replace an older DVD player in the HT system.

With that in mind...

Can anyone steer me towards a good source for cheaper cables that will fill this need?

I've seen some on E-Bay that would only come to about $18.00. But there was little documentation. I'd rather spend a little more if need be to be confident that they won't be the "weakest link" in the system.

Thanks,

DRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 02:20 PM

Just go to your local retailer, where you can pick up the new official xbox component cables (not the monster cables). and grab a relatively cheap optical cable. You should be able to get them both for under $50.

BTW, i have both the microsoft and the monster cable component cables and i dont notice any difference. just that the monster one's suck because of their special optical hook-up.

-Ryan
post #3 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes, as Ryan said, go with the Microsoft HD cables. I grabbed mine from Gamestop, they're $20 now. Then, all you'll need is the Toslink fiber optic cable (Monster's is $35, but you can get them for much cheaper). Take them darn expensive cables back!

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Since you have a new front projection system, do your self a favor and buy a decent DVD player
post #5 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just make sure you don't buy generic Xbox cables that are sometimes seen on Ebay. Get the new version of the MSFT component cables (a 1 piece unit, no breakout box - you'd have a lot of problems finding the older unit). It is every bit as good as the Monster offering and quite a bit cheaper (note that the old version was cheaper but noticably not as good as the Monster offering - at least to a decent percentage of people).

Also, the Xbox DVD player sucks - as someone already aluded to. It is watchable but you wind up with odd color issues (macro), a set limit of 7 IRE, and no 480p output unless you mod and hex edit - and still at 480p the other issues make it suck. The majority of $100 range players will significantly outperform it and you get a lot more control also.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #6 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
A $35 DVD player is better than the Xbox DVD player.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
DRG

Thanks you guys,

I think that the "X-Box" name brand sounds like the answer. The optical cables can be found easily if they are standard plug-ends.

As for the DVD player, the one I'm using now is a 480i that's about 6 years old. Even though its also 480i I had hoped that the X-Box player would do as well or better just because it is new technology.

I had also read that my projector, a Panasonic AE700U, would deinterlace the picture as well as most "cheap" progressive scan players. And I thought it would be simpler to have one less machine plugged in due to the limited video switching capacities of my A/V Receiver (Panasonic SAXR10) as well as less cables, remotes etc.

I'll probably end up getting a new DVD player but I'll probably wait for the dust to settle from Christmas first.

Thanks again,

Dave
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2004, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's definitely watchable but nothing you want to use long-term if you have a decent setup or have a display that costs more than $300.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page