Closed Thread

post #61 of 77 Old 12-27-2004, 05:46 PM
rto
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Terminator840, the original Panasonic R.E.A.L. 3DO unit was a front loader. They introduced the flip-top design later, as part of an effort to cut costs. For some reason, droves of people weren't clogging the aisles to buy a $700 console. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 12-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by rto
Terminator840, the original Panasonic R.E.A.L. 3DO unit was a front loader. They introduced the flip-top design later, as part of an effort to cut costs. For some reason, droves of people weren't clogging the aisles to buy a $700 console. ;)
Ahh yes, I'd forgotten about those, I remember those now the design was a square box with 4 circular corners bulging out. I remember seeing some of those on clearance at Wal-Mart when 3DO went south.
post #63 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb
Now that Christmas has come and gone, who will admit to picking up one of those all-in-one games+controller videogames?

Snagged a Konami version, with Time Pilot, Frogger, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Rush 'n Attack, a few others maybe, for my older brother...he called me Sunday morning b*tching about his new blisters!

Meanwhile he also got a couple PS2 games as well....still in the cellophane.
What's that tell ya?
post #64 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Terminator840

My favorite game was Need for Speed. The in dash view on that game was unmatched with photo realistic dashes and legible working gauges. The video clips with the "Opponent" was exclusive to the 3DO version, I think. I don't know how many different clips they made but it was a bunch. I remember one that I only saw once. I was playing around trying to wreck him as much as I could, when I finally finished and it played the clip he was waving a baseball bat. But I don't remember what he said.
Also does anybody remember the clips when you get arrested, funny stuff.
Terminato840:

- I don't remember the "opponent" video clips.

- If I remember correctly, the game had an AWESOME full motion video (FMV) intro.

- Remember some of the secret codes:
- Race a scooter
- Press horn and make cars jump into the air

-- THE KING. THE GUMBO RALLY. LOL!

PIONEER PRODUCTIONS/EA CANADA

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #65 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Good, cuz I have a question: The Konami one.....based on the screenshots on the back, it looks like those are the NINTENDO 8 BIT versions of the games, and not the actual arcade roms being "emulated"...is that the case?

I was going to get it for a friend but it looked like the Nintendo versions.....and since this guy is working on his MAME cab (eternally, never to complete it) I figured it would tide him over, but didn't want to get him Nintendo 8bit versions of those games...

Can anyone confirm?

And..who picked up a 3DO on ebay over the holidays based SOLEY on this thread!?!? :D

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #66 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 AM
rto
AVS Special Member

HeadRusch, I *was* thinking how much I miss "Road Rash", and the amazing reaction I'd get from my friends if they saw if come up on the screen. ( They *still* talk about it ) All I can get them to play these days is "Halo CE", and "2". A little variety would be nice.
post #67 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know for sure if they were the Nintendo 8 bit versions or not...I read on a classic gaming site that it was typical in those plug and play games to just use the "NES on a chip" for the brains. That may have even been the case with the 7800 Flashback someone mentioned earlier.
post #68 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone remember a "Le Mans" type racing game that was suppose to come out for the M2. I remember seeing brief previews/tester reviews and pics in one of my issues of EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly). From what I recall, the game was suppose to be really realistic (Le Mans for Dreamcast ROCKS!, and not just because of the graphics [LOL!]). I was HEARTBROKEN when I found out the game was not going to come out because the M2 was not going to be released.

post #69 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess we need to wait to find someone who's Toys R Us had one hooked up, or someone who actually bought one. I could check some other forums, but I'm not in that big of a rush to find out....I was just curious.

Based on the screenshots of Yie-Ar-Kung-Fu, it looked like the 8bit Nintendo version.

rto, The only problem with playing Road Rash on 3DO today is that you'd fire it up and be appalled at the low framerate.........that would kind of suck you out of the experience. :)

However over the holidays I did fire up my Commodore 64 system, and played a little Larry Bird vs. Dr. J one on one....Oh Man when games were so simple! :) Then again, I fired up the mamecab and played some NBA Jam....and basically...ITS THE EXACT SAME GAME :)

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #70 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hdtv00
It was what $799 or something new when it first came out. That $500 is after a serious price drop.
hdtv00 is right, it was like $800, when it first came out. (BTW) I still remember the place I first (ever) saw an actual 3DO, well at least in action. It was a local "mom and pop" video game store and they at least had NFS, maybe even Road Rash.

Does anyone else remember where they were when they first saw an actual 3DO; and/or in action?

post #71 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 01:39 PM

When I was still playing SNES and Genesis, one of my friends brought over the 3D0. Apparently his mom decided against the SNES on his Christmas list because the guy at the store explained how much better 3D0 looked! The first game that he showed me was Way of the Warrior, a fighting game with White Zombie music......unheard of in those days.......God I am getting older!
Then my uncle got one, and I finally jumped in......$400 at the time and it came with 5 or 6 games including Gex and Total Eclipse.
I thought it was a great system, and was sad to see it go, my mom still has it and plays it all the time!

As for the Konami arcade console thing......they are the NES 8bit games, I played them on my nephews over Christmas.
post #72 of 77 Old 12-28-2004, 04:01 PM

damn, I remember when the store I worked for (the good guys!)had them on sale for $699, not many takers.

I was amazed by the graphics of Total Eclipse and Star Control II,, I had Star Control II on PC, now that is an awesome game.
post #73 of 77 Old 12-29-2004, 10:57 AM

I don't know if this knocks gregleg from his pedastal but here goes:

Atari 2600
NES
Turbografix 16
TurboExpress
Sega Genesis x 2 + Sega CD
Game Gear
SNES
Jaguar
Virtual Boy
Saturn (modded for imports)
PS1
PS2 x 2 (1 US region, 1 Japanese)
N64
DC x 2 (1 US, 1 JP)
Xbox
Gamecube (modded)
Neo Geo
GBA
post #74 of 77 Old 12-29-2004, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

What, no Sega Master System? No Atari Lynx? Colecovision? I thought you were a gamer...:D

Nice collection indeed!

There are a few gems for the old SMS though...
post #75 of 77 Old 12-29-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by raster
Last night a friend brought over a game system called 3do. Panasonic made it I guess.
I hooked it upto my pj on a 100 inch screen. I was amazed at how good it looked.
We played a motorcycle race game and doom. Didn't have to much time to play around with it, but I was very impressed at how good it looked and played. wireless remotes to.
He's has alot of games, I'll have the unit for a week or so.
When were these made? couldn't been to long ago. Might buy one.
I have one, I bought it when it first came out and I paid $799 for it. 3DO was later crushed by the Sony Playstation, but at the time when it was released nothing could touch it. I still have quite a few games for mine, some are very rare nowadays.
post #76 of 77 Old 12-29-2004, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

SMS had that nifty 3D headset to play EDI on......it also had a couple of cool side-scrolling ninja games, and my favorite was that karate game which was alot like Kung Fu, but the boss-battles were more like Street Fighter II (Before there was a Street Fighter II I might add).

PS I dont see an Intellivison on your list.....if you don't own an Intellivision, you are not a gamer :)

"Watch Out..FOr..Flack..."

Truer words were never spoken!

post #77 of 77 Old 12-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by HeadRusch
SMS had that nifty 3D headset to play EDI on......it also had a couple of cool side-scrolling ninja games, and my favorite was that karate game which was alot like Kung Fu, but the boss-battles were more like Street Fighter II (Before there was a Street Fighter II I might add).

PS I dont see an Intellivison on your list.....if you don't own an Intellivision, you are not a gamer :)

"Watch Out..FOr..Flack..."

Truer words were never spoken!
I have a pair of those Sega SMS LCD shutter glasses. Quite advanced even today.

Here is my list:

Kmart branded Pong with light gun- complete in box

Sears Video Arcade (original 6 switch Atari VCS with Sears name)- in original 1970's box!

Sears version Intellivision (white case) I prefer this model due to the removable 9 pin controllers.

Atari 7800 x 2 with all carts in boxes.

Mattel Brand Intellivision- original style in box

Intellivision II complete in original box

INtellivision Voice module with all carts (love TRON Solar Sailer and B17 Bomber ;) )

Complete ColecoVision in box- Driving contoller, Super Action Controllers, Atari 2600 adapter, 4 unopened ColecoVision replacement controllers

NES (front loader) with NES branded "arcade" joysticks (and original pads)

VirtualBoy complete in box with several carts

Coleco desktop "mini arcade" Frogger, Pac Man, Zaxxon

Coleco Gemini Atari 2600 clone (I liked this one for the combo paddle/joystick controllers)

Arcadia Supercharger cart for Atari 2600

Genesis 3 system x2

Sega SMS LCD shutter glasses (but no SMS system!?)

Sega Genesis Nomad

Vectrex x 2 with most carts and overlays and extra controllers

Atari XE game system complete (no one mentioned this odd piece ;) )

Atari 5200 complete in box with Atari branded matching Tracball

Xbox with 2 steering wheels and Freestyle board controller.

Classic Computers:

Atari 800XL with matching disk drive, both in box

Atari 520STfm
Atari 1040STe
Amiga 1000 with SCSI sidecar and RAm expansi0on
Amiga 2000
Apple MAc SE30
Apple Mac 1MB original with signed internal case

And one of the coolest things to me: Working Apple Lisa with extra floppy (found on the curb- someone left it out for trash about 4 years ago!)

Others I can't remember- items are scattered in different storage areas.

Owned at one time but resold long ago:

Panasonic original style 3Do
3DO Blaster card for PC
Philips CDi machine with controllers and VideoCD cartridge.
Sega Master System
NEC Turbografix

As you can see, my preferences lean to "old school", pre 1985. Several reasons: my most vivid memories of gaming were in late grade school and high school, circa 1977-1984, and my interests switched to computers around 1985, focusing on the Atari ST and Amiga (and Macintosh to a lesser extent). This explains my lack of interest in the machines of 1985-1993 (NES, SNES, SMS, etc), except for oddballs like the XE system.

By 1993, my computer focus shifted to the PC, and videogame machines got interesting again with the CDi, 3DO and Sega CD (and Jaguar).

If I could get a 3DO, CDi and Jaguar with most games for cheap, I'd probably fill out my collection. I like to fcus on the historically important machine with something unique about them. The NES', SMS's and Genesis' are cool to have, but are the equivalent of the common, low value basebal cards, for comparision to another hobby.

Having a functioning, complete in box 5200 with working controllers is a feat in itself, and much more cool ;).

And two working Vectrex units helps add character to a collection ;).

The Sega Nomad, for example, is more interesting than a stock original Genesis. The Nomad plays all the Genesis carts, but is a unique, less common piece.

So I tend to focus on the odd variants, like the Coleco Gemini, Nomad, and Vectrex's of the world.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page