Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-17-2004, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Having played many PC party game/game show CD-ROMS on my big screen over the past 5 years in my dedicated basement home theater with large groups (12-18 people), I was wondering- where are these games for the Xbox?

I know about Fuzion Frenzy and Trivial Pursuit, but I'm also looking for games like these on the PC:

Outburst
You Don't Know Jack series
Jeopardy (TV show)
Wheel of Fortune
Family Feud
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
etc

Some of you may scoff at the simplicity of some of these titles, but played with a large group in a dark theater with real theater seats, everyone feels they are in the Jeoapry/ Wheel of Fortune/ Millionaire Studio. These games might not be fun playing by yourself, but in a group, they are great for several hours during the holidays or before/after a movie party.

Given its antiquity, I'm amazed how Outburst *still* rates highly in big groups.

Even more amazing is the fact that the original YDKJ games, dating all the way back to 1995/1996, remain THE benchmark for game show simulation, with absolutley seamless flow and immersion.

Any recommendations on the Xbox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Karoke Revolutions
DDR
post #3 of 9 Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 AM

Try Burnout 3 in Party Crash mode. Great fun.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-20-2004, 09:23 AM

I highly recommend Kung Fu Chaos. Gameplay is a cross between Power Stone and Fuzion Frenzy, with comical characters, interesting levels, and a lighthearted kung-fu movie theme. Multiplayer supports up to four players at once via free-for-all battles and team matches. Single-player is very entertaining, too.

The only downside is KFC is one of the few Xbox games that doesn't support 480p. At least it sounds great in 5.1. I got my copy through BestBuy.com for $10 (wasn't available locally), and it was well worth it.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-20-2004, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Shrek Super Party is always a crowd favorite at my place. It's just like Mario Party but with a slightly more mature tone and Shrek characters. Everyone can play and it only requires 2 buttons to learn.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-20-2004, 08:00 PM

Sounds like you need to get a Gamecube, many party games available for that, most in 480P when combined with the hi-def cable. Also I think the "game show" games you seem to be looking for are a PC specialty games it seems, similar to all those 'Tycoon' games which aren't found on any consoles either.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-22-2004, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the input.

I am disappointed how the PC versions of the games I mentioned in the first post have languished without updates for many years. I fear they will become inoperable/ incompatible after an XP service pack or DirectX update in the near future. I will need to keep an earlier OS load just to play these games (not a big deal with Ghost images, etc).

The game show type trivia/ word games are excellent for adults through parents and grandparents, whereas the fighting/melee type party games are targeted for a teen/ young adult demographic.

I guess I should have titled the thread "Trivia/ puzzle games for Xbox?", as I would include Tetris/ Klax / Bomberman type games in the Party category, too.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 AM

The PS2 has Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune. I have seen them at Best Buy during the holiday season in the $20 bins. They may have them for the xBox in those same bins but I have never looked since I don't own one.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-30-2004, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tam0
The PS2 has Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune. I have seen them at Best Buy during the holiday season in the $20 bins. They may have them for the xBox in those same bins but I have never looked since I don't own one.
There was also a PSOne version of You Don't Know Jack
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page