Party games (non-sports)- why so few on Xbox? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Gaming > Party games (non-sports)- why so few on Xbox?
Rgb's Avatar Rgb 06:09 AM 12-17-2004
Having played many PC party game/game show CD-ROMS on my big screen over the past 5 years in my dedicated basement home theater with large groups (12-18 people), I was wondering- where are these games for the Xbox?

I know about Fuzion Frenzy and Trivial Pursuit, but I'm also looking for games like these on the PC:

Outburst
You Don't Know Jack series
Jeopardy (TV show)
Wheel of Fortune
Family Feud
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
etc

Some of you may scoff at the simplicity of some of these titles, but played with a large group in a dark theater with real theater seats, everyone feels they are in the Jeoapry/ Wheel of Fortune/ Millionaire Studio. These games might not be fun playing by yourself, but in a group, they are great for several hours during the holidays or before/after a movie party.

Given its antiquity, I'm amazed how Outburst *still* rates highly in big groups.

Even more amazing is the fact that the original YDKJ games, dating all the way back to 1995/1996, remain THE benchmark for game show simulation, with absolutley seamless flow and immersion.

Any recommendations on the Xbox?

CardiacArrest's Avatar CardiacArrest 07:33 AM 12-20-2004
Karoke Revolutions
DDR
the_karl's Avatar the_karl 09:25 AM 12-20-2004
Try Burnout 3 in Party Crash mode. Great fun.
Katamari Damacy's Avatar Katamari Damacy 10:23 AM 12-20-2004
I highly recommend Kung Fu Chaos. Gameplay is a cross between Power Stone and Fuzion Frenzy, with comical characters, interesting levels, and a lighthearted kung-fu movie theme. Multiplayer supports up to four players at once via free-for-all battles and team matches. Single-player is very entertaining, too.

The only downside is KFC is one of the few Xbox games that doesn't support 480p. At least it sounds great in 5.1. I got my copy through BestBuy.com for $10 (wasn't available locally), and it was well worth it.
FourDoor's Avatar FourDoor 12:38 PM 12-20-2004
Shrek Super Party is always a crowd favorite at my place. It's just like Mario Party but with a slightly more mature tone and Shrek characters. Everyone can play and it only requires 2 buttons to learn.
roy179's Avatar roy179 09:00 PM 12-20-2004
Sounds like you need to get a Gamecube, many party games available for that, most in 480P when combined with the hi-def cable. Also I think the "game show" games you seem to be looking for are a PC specialty games it seems, similar to all those 'Tycoon' games which aren't found on any consoles either.
Rgb's Avatar Rgb 08:54 AM 12-22-2004
Thanks for the input.

I am disappointed how the PC versions of the games I mentioned in the first post have languished without updates for many years. I fear they will become inoperable/ incompatible after an XP service pack or DirectX update in the near future. I will need to keep an earlier OS load just to play these games (not a big deal with Ghost images, etc).

The game show type trivia/ word games are excellent for adults through parents and grandparents, whereas the fighting/melee type party games are targeted for a teen/ young adult demographic.

I guess I should have titled the thread "Trivia/ puzzle games for Xbox?", as I would include Tetris/ Klax / Bomberman type games in the Party category, too.
Tam0's Avatar Tam0 08:06 AM 12-30-2004
The PS2 has Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune. I have seen them at Best Buy during the holiday season in the $20 bins. They may have them for the xBox in those same bins but I have never looked since I don't own one.
the_karl's Avatar the_karl 09:12 AM 12-30-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Tam0
The PS2 has Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune. I have seen them at Best Buy during the holiday season in the $20 bins. They may have them for the xBox in those same bins but I have never looked since I don't own one.
There was also a PSOne version of You Don't Know Jack
Up
Mobile  Desktop