HALO 2 - That's It? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading the entire "Halo 2 Moments" thread, it is very clear that multiplayer and Live formats are the way to go with this game. I just finished the single player campaign last night and have to say it didn't really do it for me. Halo and Halo 2 are the only FPS games I have ever played so perhaps I've oversaturated with games that are very similar - but until I go Live or play more multi, this game is on the shelf. I think it's time to explore the Clancy series and/or start playing a good RPG like KOTOR, Morrowind or Fable.

Biggest gripes on Halo2 single player campaign:

- Very easy. No accumulated skill level. Game does not get progressively harder with each level - just more enemies. Pretty much the same weapons throughout.

- Too many levels in darkness. Weak flashlight on Master Chief and NO flashlight on covenant. Invisibility seemed kind of useless.

- Cut scenes are too long and you can't skip them.

- Should be able to drop all weapons and mele with both hands when out of ammo.

- I'm over the Flood already.

- I liked the double weapon feature, but why couldn't I wield two swords if it only takes one hand to use it?

- When I got to the last level I was finally starting to get into the game because of the new enemy and moving platforms etc...and then the game ended. WTF? Talk about needing a cold shower! This game just seemed short to me.

Halo 3 and beyone better have dramatic improvements and differences beyond merely the graphics (which I thought were merely above average given the hype of this game).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Angel

- Very easy. No accumulated skill level. Game does not get progressively harder with each level - just more enemies. Pretty much the same weapons throughout.

- I liked the double weapon feature, but why couldn't I wield two swords if it only takes one hand to use it?
1. Legendary, 'nuff said.

2. Why do you need 2 swords when one sword can kill in one hit?

*Representing Team AVS*
- KillerPoptart -
Halo 2 Stats
post #3 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 09:56 AM

Yeah, 'sides I always took it that you needed the other hand to help balance youself with the sword or chuck grenades. I think you'd just get slaughtered in MP if you couldn't chuck grenades with the sword.

Oh, and I just played Fable and reccomend it, but if you're looking for game which will take you a long time, look elsewhere. I think it was well worth buying used at my gamestop, and I played it over the weekend and was able to finish it with most of the side quests. (about 16 hours)
post #4 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Dual wielding the the sword with another weapon would be cool for campaign. Removing the sword from multiplayer would be even better.

Martin.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:11 AM

Halo 2 single player sucked in my opinion. However, you're going to love playing it on Live.
post #6 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

It's called marketing and apparently they did a very good job at it.

I like it and on "Heroic" mode it's rather difficult for me...then again my Halo prowess is lacking/nonexistent.
post #7 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Some of your complaints I agree with. The ending was brutal. Just too abrupt.

Level design got repitive. Turning off lights and adding fog on a previous level don't make a new level.

VERY sick of the flood. I remeber saying to myself "You mean they're actually making me play 'The Library Part 2'?".

I disagree about enemies. Obviously , games aren't real. But there's a logic to MC facing the same enemies on a battlefield as he would in High Charity. The addition of Brutes later in the game also added a different tactic to gameplay that helped keep it fresh.

As far as leveling up your character or adding skills, I think that would also defy the logic of the Halo universe. The MC is a supersoldier, geneticly altered and trained since childhood to be the ultimate fighting machine. He's not picking up any new skills (except for shooting 2 guns at once :) ) in a 3 day span fighting enemies he's familiar with. I guess the could have done that with the Arbiter, but it was a horrible mistake making us play as him in the first place.
post #8 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

1. You're right - on Legendary it is a different game involving much more stealth and tactical assault. And I'm certain that getting certain skulls makes it even MORE challenging...perhaps I'll take you up on that if I feel like going through this game again. But going through the first walkthrough left me kind of wanting/expecting more. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper.
2. So that I don't have to go back and look for that sword I left behind when the one I'm carrying is drained.
post #9 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I also thought the single player was a bit short (normal) but on Heroic it is a challenge and I suck. On legendary I have a hard time seeing how anyone but the best could even make it!!!

I did have a problem playing the Arbiter. It was a cool twist, BUT they should have mixed up the controls - made him walk differently, hold weapons differently, different HUD, etc. At times I was forgetting who I was they were so cimilar. Maybe the MC is a lost son of a covie to be revealed in H3? LOL

Multiplayer on LIVE IS great - bout it could have RULED. But is doesn't. It is just "great."

What would have took Halo 2 online to the "Godlike status" and gold standard for online play would be the inclusion of:

1. Online Co-op play for the campaign - how sweet would that be. To Bungie: The makers of the upcoming Doom 3 did this in 18 months. You had 3 years. This LAN type of play NEEDS to be on LIVE games or soon KAI and other port software will take off like wildfire and eat into the LIVE money heap.

2. Mission games like RB6:Black Arrow - recon missions with buddies online to take out a mess of covies would be SO excellent.

3. Play as covenant (reverse role maps or something). It would be sweet to play as a covenant against AI mariens and a MC on LIVE with all the pros and cons of each. See Star Wars Battlefront.

4. Make the sowrd on LIVE the same as in campaign: (NOT UNLIMITED USE)

5. More varied LIVE games. Why not mix it up? Imagine a team slayer game on LIVE where you have an added team of AI covenant. Or better throw in a 4-way team of 2 LIVE teams, a team of AI covies, and a team of AI marienes. Depending on your profile character (of which there should be more choices than just 2) the AI teams would react accordingly.

Without the varied stuff Halo 2 is just like Unreal Tournament - everyone running amok shooting. "Strategy games" feature these whipped together teams with less than 5 seconds to say hi and discuss a strategy. Lame. Results in CTF, etc games where all the "team" of strangers runs off in different directions.

Some of the above ideas are not new and not radical and are in some games already. Given the amount of time and bottomless pit of development money they had I am more disappointed in the game than anything else. Seems to me they put more effort into the bonus DVD and the fancy-schmancy case for the "limited edition" than in adding cool varied gametypes.

Shame.

I have a hard time playing Halo 2 LIVE anymore UNLESS it is a 1 on 1 slayer with a freind OR a custom game with the AVS clan OR a clanmatch with the AVS clan - at least with the clan members we get to laugh and have fun and have some strategy discussions.
post #10 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Squicken - I think what they could do in Halo 3 or some other future version is make the game play more like an RPG - take me back in time to the beginning of the MC when he was just a private and let me help him acquire his skills and training. If Bungie really wanted to make this game great then they could make it a fighter, FPS and RPG in one....I also wish I could change the camera view if I wanted, so it would switch to a more arcade like game where I could see the MC kicking tail on his mission.

I agree with you about the Arbiter too - what's the point? The only thing he can do that the MC can't do is the optical camoflage.
post #11 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:51 AM

The ending should have had more of a bang. It's like they held back on a couple of levels or cut them out. It should have ended with a bigger cliffhanger and more action.
As for the difficulty level, no way you played it on legendary and come away with it being to easy.
As far as making it an RPG, why ruin the game? RPG's Blow. ;););)
post #12 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yeah, this guy obviously played the game on normal or easy. I had no problems with legnth on Heroic. Also, I couldn't believe how much they varied the environments in the game? Anyway say too much repetition must be getting it confused with the first one because that part where you go back into the covenent ship with the lights out was the only part that was even a tiny bit repetitive to me. I don't mind the cliffhanger at all as long as I don't have to wait three years to continue it. Who knows? Maybe there will be another game in February (unlikely) or the announcement that Halo 3 and Xbox 2 are next November (likely.)
post #13 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

OT:

Dean did you get my PM the other day?
post #14 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 11:29 AM

Yes I did, and I quoted the link not once but twice in that same thread.
I thought I was pretty clear throughout that it was from IGN as well.
post #15 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah,

I saw the links...just thought it would be appropriate to include a link in the thread that had the quotes as well.

Not sure I'll ask the higher ups...thanks.
post #16 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 11:37 AM

It was in the thread but not the post. FYI I see people quote articles all the time and never really heard of their being an issue. Most of those quotes are from reviews that are 7 or 8 pages in length so a small quote should not really be an issue.
post #17 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Dean,

Don't get me wrong...I'm not chastising.

I'm just trying to make sure it's kosher.

FWIW, when I quote from a website I always put a link in the post as an added precaution.

I am checking and will get back to you if needed. Thanks.
post #18 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rmcgirr83
Dean,

Don't get me wrong...I'm not chastising.

I'm just trying to make sure it's kosher.

FWIW, when I quote from a website I always put a link in the post as an added precaution.

I am checking and will get back to you if needed. Thanks.
I know. I didn't take it badly.:D
If you did chastise me I would just focus on you in halo more. :D
post #19 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh great....another person to abuse me!!

PS Please go see your other post as it was changed...for better or for worse. :(
post #20 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Oh great....another person to abuse me!!

PS Please go see your other post as it was changed...for better or for worse. :(
Really? I already had edited it to include a link...
Lemmie go see what u did...
post #21 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

T'warnt moi. ;)

If David ever gets on live you can take it out on him. lol
post #22 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 12:32 PM

It's definitely worse.
I'm not upset or anything but since when is it wrong to quote an article be it from the newspaper or another site?

This means that it would be wrong to state ANY information you found on another website INCLUDING the score it was given.
If I am wrong so be it but I see people quote all the time.
post #23 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Dean,

You have to understand something, which I am sure you already do. This site has thousands of posts per week...there are relatively few of us volunteer mods and even fewer admins. In other words, it isn't even remotely possible to ensure that every post/thread is legally correct and to do that we would have to read each one...or count on the members to "report this post to a moderator".

Every now and then I come across something that looks a little ifish....like yours. Please don't take it the wrong way..."just a policeman in a community" is all, I leave the judging to others. ;)

Please be patient as I am trying to get some guidance from David Bott. I personally, don't see anything wrong with posting a link with quoted snipets. It's akin to writing a thesis that has been properly documented to show the source(s)...then again this 'aint my toy, if you get where I'm coming from.

But we're taking away from this thread, please be assured that I will get back to everyone (maybe a sticky) as to what's what.

I do appreciate your understanding though.

Thanks.

Rich

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
post #24 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Colticus
1. Legendary, 'nuff said.

2. Why do you need 2 swords when one sword can kill in one hit?

Exactly. Legendary co-op mode on this game is as hard as anything I've played. The ONLY thing that comes close is Ninja Gaiden.

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Angel
Squicken - I think what they could do in Halo 3 or some other future version is make the game play more like an RPG - take me back in time to the beginning of the MC when he was just a private and let me help him acquire his skills and training. If Bungie really wanted to make this game great then they could make it a fighter, FPS and RPG in one....I also wish I could change the camera view if I wanted, so it would switch to a more arcade like game where I could see the MC kicking tail on his mission.
If it were an RPG, I wouldn't play it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #25 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It's called marketing and apparently they did a very good job at it.
Actually, the few people complaining about a lack of cooperative multiplayer mode was much more effective ar getting me to return my copy before I opened it. :)

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #26 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ninja Gaiden on VERY HARD or in Hurricane Pack?
post #27 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 01:36 PM

Yeah, I almost didn't buy it as well once I heard the online co-op mode was missing. That was a huge draw for me. However, I just had to have the game anyway. I guess I succumbed to the marketing. I hardly ever play non-coop games on Live as I have a real life and I cannot devote too much time to playing games. So, whenever I've tried joining a deathmatch game or some other multiplayer (non co-op) game, I end up getting my butt kicked as all the kids that play 24x7 are much better at it. So, I enjoy playing co-op with my friends and family instead. Once I finish the single player campaign on H2, it'll probably just sit on my shelf.

I hope Doom 3 holds true to the talk that it will have co-op campaign mode.
post #28 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

ShadowX -

I do believe Doom 3 is confirmed to have online co-op for 2 players over live.

I am looking very forward to that experience. It is the biggenst hole in Halo 2 - as the campaign mode is truly a game that is best enjoyed with a friend - split screen was cool, LAN parties were cooler, but LIVE co-op would have put as the "gold standard" LIVE game.

Bungie really dropped the ball on that one.
post #29 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 02:00 PM

Only 2-player co-op on D3? Dang! 4 player would be great.

Our current favorite game is Ghost Recon 2 in 4-player co-op mission mode on Live.
post #30 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

i got burnt out on it really fast. probably because i played a lot of MP halo 1. i have not played halo 2 since ~ thanksgiving.

try Legendary if you think you're up to it. :)
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page