Projection Tv - Burn in's when play'n video game's?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-24-2004, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On a Projection Tv can burn in's happen if you play video game's on them? I'm think'n about get'n a 51" or bigger projection tv and I wanted to know if it will cause burn in's if so. So could someone help me out and explain how and why burn in's happen and if it is common also how long does it take? Thank's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-24-2004, 07:59 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Not all projection Tv's are susceptible. CRT RPTV's are most likely to burn in mostly because they are not usually calibrated properly. Bright images can burn the phosphorus material so that an impression of a static image remains on the screen.
DLP Tv's cannot be burned
LCD is not as likely
Plasma can burn but few people here who game on them have problems.

With todays games the action and screen images are constantly changing. As long as you don't have a static image on the screen for long periods you should be ok.
Games aren't the only thing to be concerned about. Bars from widescreen programming, display from your TV such as 'mute' and the rolling cable guide can all be culprits of burn in.

There are many posts regarding this subject on this forum. use the search function for burn in.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-24-2004, 08:51 AM

There is a master burnin thread sticky near the top of the Rear Projection forum. I'd post a link but I don't have 5 posts yet. There is some good info there.

Tik
post #4 of 15 Old 12-24-2004, 09:01 AM

post #5 of 15 Old 12-24-2004, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you keep your contrast & brightness a bit lower than normal, and don't let static images stay motionless for hours, you'll be fine.
Many people game on crt pj's without problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Life And Death
On a Projection Tv can burn in's happen if you play video game's on them? I'm think'n about get'n a 51" or bigger projection tv and I wanted to know if it will cause burn in's if so. So could someone help me out and explain how and why burn in's happen and if it is common also how long does it take? Thank's

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
post #6 of 15 Old 12-24-2004, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tell that to my friend with xbox burn in from UT lol. Poor mits.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #7 of 15 Old 12-25-2004, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tikcip
There is a master burnin thread sticky near the top of the Rear Projection forum. I'd post a link but I don't have 5 posts yet. There is some good info there.

Tik
FWIW, I wrote the original that Antonio used for the RPTV forum (modified for RPTV's). The plasma one is in my sig.

Burn-in occurs due to an uneven wear of the phosphors of a phosphor based display device (CRT RPTV and plasma, eg). It's also caused by static images left on the screen for tons of hours.

Basically all you need to do to alleviate it or reduce the chance of it happening is to get your display calibrated correctly (Avia or DVE) and vary your viewing habits.

FWIW, for the past 20 months that we have owned our plasma, I play about 15 hours per week on the unit and have no burn-in nor even image retention.

It looks great...except for when I die, even then I can't imagine looking any better dying either.

RE: the individual who has burn-in from xbox UT, it would be interesting to know how much, percentage wise, xbox is played on that unit as compared to all other viewing.

If you want to use the set strictly (>50%?) gaming...I would say you would be better served by either a DLP or LCD set as Dean has mentioned.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-25-2004, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well I don't have the money to spend on a DLP LCD whatever Tv. I'm look'n to spend around 1,000 - 1,500 somewhere in there. I aint gonna drop 3,000 - 5,000 for a DLP LCD whatever tv.

I've talk'd to many different people, ask'd many different question's and I'm think'n about take'n my chance's with the burn in deal. I'm gonna get a tv size 51" - 55" hell maybe bigger might put some more money to it I don't know yet.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

I have a 51" Hitachi CRT RPTV and it is used for gaming 100%. I play at least 6 hours a day on it and Ive even had multiple 12 hour gaming periods. No worries here.

*Representing Team AVS*
- KillerPoptart -
Halo 2 Stats
post #10 of 15 Old 12-25-2004, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

So does burn-in's just happen by " Luck " say'n a " Bad " tv and you just don't know it? I mean because there is people that say I got this Tv or that Tv and I've play'd for hour's and hour's daily all day every day blah blah and they don't have a single burn-in anywhere on the Tv.

Then other's that are like I play'd 2 hour's of it yesterday and I burn'd in some health bars I mean what's the deal " Luck Of The Draw " or what?

I'm like the above poster I'm gonna get the Tv and play video game's on it a lot. I mean I don't play just one game all day everyday I play many game's. Many different kinda set up's ect.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-25-2004, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I left a DVD paused on my Hitachi 51 inch for eight hours by accident and I had no burn in or ill effects. No one has ever burned in health bars in 2 hours.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-25-2004, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I've gamed A LOT (I reckon about 20-25 hrs/week) on my 60" Hitachi SDTV and I have had no burn in. I've calibrated it several times with DVE and Avia.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #13 of 15 Old 12-26-2004, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is an interesting fact:

During the first nine (9) months of owning a Mitsubish Diamond WS-65907 (65") widescreen CRT RPTV we used Dish Networks and the channel guide on the 4922 STB use a lot of blinding-white in that channel guide. At the nine-month mark just happen to coincide with 9/11/01.

The significance is the several hours I was watching in horror what was happening in NYC, which included replay after replay of a jetliner crashing into the WTC. The smooth-blue background was what brought to my attention the uneven phosphor wear on the CRT tubes.

A couple weeks thereafter I checked (w/Avia) the red, green, and blue tubes individually, noting the the green had the greatest uneven phosphor wear followed then by the blue tube with less wear. The red had no noticeable wear. This was after I had adjusted contrast and brightness to assist in minimizing the uneven wear.

Anyway, nine months of this kind of activity left the Dish channel guide burned into two of the three tubes. Three months later (without using the channel guide), I got rid of Dish and switch to DirecTV which seemed to have a much less offending channel guide.

During the 26 months I've been using the DirecTV channel guide I have not seen much in terms of additional channel guide wear, but I can see some. During the last 18-months I have been playing X-Box Live about 5-6 hours per week minimally in FPS games. These include GR, GR:IT, RS3, RS3:BA, and lately GR2. All of these have HUDs, reticules (sp), etc., but what is amazing is that I cannot find anything in terms of HUD wear or cross-hair wear on the CRT tube faces.

So, while I previously thought and lamented over the uneven phosphor wear of gaming, the end result was a lot more wear wound up via the channel guides than anything else. But this is a behavioral condition as you may not watch cable/satellite. :)

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-26-2004, 09:38 PM

been playing games for a year now on my panasonic 47in RPTV, sometimes 8 hours straight, with hud on, never calibrated it , but id like to sometime,lol, no burn in here !!! yeha

dice
post #15 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Life And Death
Well I don't have the money to spend on a DLP LCD whatever Tv. I'm look'n to spend around 1,000 - 1,500 somewhere in there. I aint gonna drop 3,000 - 5,000 for a DLP LCD whatever tv.
Anyone can get a 50" panny LCD RPTV for ~$1.8k. If your looking to go as big as possible you may want to consider a FP and a screen...or wall. ;)

Also, FYI, it is not "DLP LCD whatever tv". You asked a question and I tried to answer it for you....so did others.

I think you got the replies you were looking for and as you have posted in the MB thread there's no further need for this one.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page