Teamxbox.com reports Halo 2.5 for XBOX 2 to support "HDTV Resolutions". - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 12-26-2004, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
From their trusted source:

[MOD NOTE: You can paraphrase but direct quote from web site isn't allowed]

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7408/H...ox-2-The-Bomb/

Let the new years rumors start! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-26-2004, 10:45 PM

Liked: 10
Aw man, I'm so wet right now... :D
post #3 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 12:16 AM

From the specs we've been seeing of the xbox2, do you think it's up to the task of 1080p?
post #4 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

i don't think they would code in 1080p considering its not a standard hidef resolution, and 95% of displays don't support it.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 12:40 PM

DTSFREAK, YOU MUST BE TYPING IN YOUR POOL?
post #6 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL @ DTS.

Sorry about the quote rmcgirr83. Thanks for editing.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 02:50 PM

hopefully it will be at a constant 60fps
post #8 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 03:02 PM

Oh yeah. oh yeah.

Question, in that article, they state that OXM already confirmed that Halo 2.5 was going to be a launch title on the XBOX 2.0. I subscribe to OXM, and don't recall any such news.

Anyone else knwo what they are referring to?
post #9 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HDTV’s lower spec is enough to get excited. Can you imagine Halo 2 running at 1280x720?!!
Nevrmind that 720p is much harder to render than 1080i :rolleyes:

When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side.

XBL:MileHighMurder
PSN:SayH1ToYourMom
post #10 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally posted by scrubsr1
From the specs we've been seeing of the xbox2, do you think it's up to the task of 1080p?
It's possible but 1080p would take twice as much processing power to do as 1080i. Considering Bungie didn't do 720p for Halo 2 on the X-box I will be surprised if they do Halo 2.5 at 1080p.

Quote:
Originally posted by policy
Nevrmind that 720p is much harder to render than 1080i :rolleyes:
720p is easier to render since 720x1280 is 921,600 pixels while 540x1920 is 1,036,800 pixels. Since they are both at 60 fps it is a little easier to do 720p.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 AM

I don't see why they should worry about 1080p, I mean do 1080i and let the tv manufactures worry about the progressive part.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You know what I want? I want companies like Bungie to stop trying to do HD resolutions and actually put more time and content into their FRICKIN GAMES...!!

Halo 2, which I rented but didn't buy, was a real bust......an incomplete game, very disappointing. ALl those years and this is what we got?

Now we'll get to look forward to XBOX 2 and PS3, touting "720p or 1080i" game graphics.....and then the games are all going to suck absolute @ss because the effort is going to go into the eye-candy department instead of making actual good games. Graphics, Graphics, Graphics.......and we all suffer.

What is this thing with resolution.....higher higher and higher? So what, whats the point in having high resolution when 9 out of every 10 games released blows chunks, and the 10th one that looks good you can complete in a weekend because all the development time went into those high-resolution models...???

Priorities need to be re-adjusted here I think....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #13 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 10:12 AM

amen Headrusch.

I am just starting to come to terms with the disappointment that is Halo 2.

And I'm playing on Live. But if the long-rumored "Halo 1.5" had ever seen the light of day with Live support, in all honesty I probably wouldn't even be playing Halo 2 right now. The few maps and multiplayer modes we got for Halo 2 are already getting damned annoying.

3 years and an unlimited budget and this is all the content they could muster?
post #14 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 10:14 AM

Oh and if Halo 2.5 is an Xbox 2 launch title, count me out. It will only be what Halo 2 shoulda been.
post #15 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Halo2 even at 480p has met my expectations in regards to gameplay single/multi-player as well as graphics given the xbox platform. It hasn't lived up to all the hype around it but heck, it's kept my attention more than any other game released last year so I guess you can call me just a regular satisfied customer.

As far as resolutions go, maybe bungie and other devs can take note of Gran Turismo 4 and how they're getting it to output 1080i from their older Sony machines...
post #16 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by FourDoor
Halo2 even at 480p has met my expectations in regards to gameplay single/multi-player as well as graphics given the xbox platform. It hasn't lived up to all the hype around it but heck, it's kept my attention more than any other game released last year so I guess you can call me just a regular satisfied customer.
Amen! The shortened ending is the only problem, and as it seems likely, it was cut short from the plan in order to meet the deadline. Otherwise, it is still fun to play, full of nice eye-candy and pleasing sound. Given all that is going on, graphics-wise, with no notable load times and a good framerate, I'm not at all surprised that they stuck with 480p.

As for the next XBOX, given that the HDTVs being installed in people's houses in the past, present, and (for a while) the future are 720p or 1080i (and I'm guessing in terms of raw numbers leaning to the latter), I would think it's a business imperative that the next XBOX (& its games) do 720p & 1080i at a minimum.

Gamertag: HeartbreakRidge

Enjoy a quality XBOX Live Experience with the folks at Adult Gaming Enthusiasts !
post #17 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HeadRusch
You know what I want? I want companies like Bungie to stop trying to do HD resolutions and actually put more time and content into their FRICKIN GAMES...!!
Bungie never did do HD for Halo 2.

Quote:
Halo 2, which I rented but didn't buy, was a real bust......an incomplete game, very disappointing. ALl those years and this is what we got?
The Halo games are well marketed and are considered to be very good games. They are over hyped by Microsoft but that is to be expected. As for the ending of Halo 2 that did piss me off since it was only done to help sell the X-box 2.

Quote:
Now we'll get to look forward to XBOX 2 and PS3, touting "720p or 1080i" game graphics.....and then the games are all going to suck absolute @ss because the effort is going to go into the eye-candy department instead of making actual good games. Graphics, Graphics, Graphics.......and we all suffer.
Many games are bad and that has been true ever since the Atari. A good game will only be better in HD while a bad game will be bad regardless of resolution. Also the cost increase of making a game in HD will be small. PC games have supported 1200x1600 for years and this includes even budget games.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is this thing with resolution.....higher higher and higher? So what, whats the point in having high resolution when 9 out of every 10 games released blows chunks, and the 10th one that looks good you can complete in a weekend because all the development time went into those high-resolution models...???

Priorities need to be re-adjusted here I think....
While I agree with the thrust of what you are saying here . . . it is somewhat diminished by your own bitching about no texture filtering in the DS despite great games like Mario 64 DS and Feel the Magic being available.
post #19 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 01:13 PM

I'm one of the most die hard gamers you'll ever meet, and I love the Halo franchaise. While it appears to have mass-market saturation, it's one of the few games where it's life span isn't measured in months, but years.

I'll be first in line for the Xbox 2 and a week off of work ;)
post #20 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I feel that Halo 2 met the hype and all the expectations I had for it. I did not mind the cliffhanger as long as they don't take 3 years to continue it. I didn't hear anyone complaining about to be continued in star wars or matrix or lord of the rings.

"Why didn't they finish it all up in one movie?"
post #21 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 02:10 PM

Exactly nothru, it's the "Empire Strikes Back" of video games. I bet you that the people who were disappointed by the ending are more inclined to like the big budget blockbusters that must wrap up all neatly in the end.

A movie like Eraserhead would probably cause their head to explode in frustration.

It's an artform, it doesn't need to follow the same pattern as every other source out there.

Sometimes it's nice to have a warm, comfy feeling of a wrapped up ending. Other times it becomes a piece in a much larger, more important puzzle. Getting there is 90% of the fun, not the payoff.
post #22 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If Halo 2.5 adds a lot of new levels to a greatly improved Halo 2 then I would consider it worthwhile that it was split into a separate game. But if Halo 2.5 simply tacks on two or three levels at the end of a repackaged Halo 2 then I would consider it a bad publicity stunt to help sell the X-box 2.
post #23 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Seeing how passionate Bungie is about their products, I highly doubt it will fail to impress. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into H2. Can't wait until they announce their new non-Halo title.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Swat_R2
I'm one of the most die hard gamers you'll ever meet, and I love the Halo franchaise. While it appears to have mass-market saturation, it's one of the few games where it's life span isn't measured in months, but years.

I'll be first in line for the Xbox 2 and a week off of work ;)
Aye aye. My boss asked me the other day if I wanted to declare any vacation for the next year yet, and I told him I'd have to wait until I find out when they're releasing the nextbox. :D
post #25 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 04:06 PM

Nice Buji. I took a week off for Halo 2's release, it seems only natural for the Xbox 2 release ;)

You know you're hardcore when..
post #26 of 27 Old 12-29-2004, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
"Great Games" are to each his own...Feel The Magic hardly qualifies as a great game any more than "Luigi's Mansion" would be a great game for the 'cube...based on your website it would seem that any game released for a Nintendo product is, by default, a great game. :P

The lack of texture filtering didn't bother me once I actually played a DS at TRU. What did bother me was that I couldn't keep both screens in "LCD Focus" at the same time. I played a few minutes of the Metroid hunter, thought the system performed admirably, but also thought the game itself was weak. Ir ealize its a demo.

I didn't get used to the touch-screen controls in the short time I was with the system, however it did convince me that no, I really didn't need to spend $150 on the thing.

As for Movies versus Games, a movie is a non-interactive experience...you sit there for an hour and 20 minutes, or 4 hours of its a LOTR film, and the story is presented to you. A game will vary by how well you do at it....you can go through it methodically, you can blow through it...entirely up to you.

I wouldn't mind a cliffhanger ending if they promised to release the 3rd installment of the game within 12 months, lets say, rather tha have to wait another 2 years for a few more hours of gameplay.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #27 of 27 Old 12-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

From the second I finished Halo 2, it was pretty clear to me that a sequel was in the works and would be released sooner rather than later. I saw a bunch of indications in Halo 2 that this was the case, not just the ending.

So I think you're gonna see Halo 3 coming out shortly after the Xbox 2 launch, if not as a launch title.

As far as Halo 2.5, I get the feeling that's gonna be used primarily as an incentive to shift the more expensive Xbox 2 units with the built in HDD. The Teamxbox article implies it'll come preloaded on the HDD (or at least in the package), so I think they're gonna charge ~$100 more for that upgraded unit.

It's a bit of a scam but also very clever I think, as including a $50 game will definately soften the blow caused by extra cost and will ensure they shift significantly more units than if it just came with the HDD alone.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page